PDA

View Full Version : I hate protective updo styles. I dislike braids

missmex
May 18th, 2016, 09:35 PM
I like semi-updos but I feel that I am not progressing in my hair length and health because of my reluctance to put it up. The most I can tolerate is clipping it up in an octopus clip. Does anyone have any suggestions to this problem? Sorry if it's been asked before, I didn't know how to word it! TIA!

pailin
May 18th, 2016, 09:40 PM
Well, if you can get it all up in the octopus clip, that's actually pretty good.
And perhaps you could train yourself by putting it up for a few hours a day.
Also, what length are you now? If you really just like to wear it down, it may be worthwhile to you to trade some length for getting to wear it down. You should be enjoying your hair; it's not supposed to be a burden.

Simsy
May 18th, 2016, 10:09 PM
Is the dislike because you don't like the weight of a bun or is it because you would prefer to display your hair?
I only ask because the root of the dislike will narrow down possible solutions...

If the weight of the bun is part of the problem, then look into weight distribution methods. Splitting buns, hair taping and french-braiding sections of the hair into the bun will all help spread the weight out. Using hair sticks, forks and pins also spread the weight further than a regular hair tie.

If you want to display your hair, loose braids and fluffed buns can have a similar effect while still providing protection. Alternatively, leave your hair out and pamper it regularly. Moisturizing your hair, keeping a close eye on split ends and making your hair the healthiest you can, will alleviate most of the potential for damage. Also get into the habit of flicking it out of harms way.

With braids; again, depends on the root problem. There are methods of fluffing braids if you feel they aren't big enough, I don't personally like this look on myself so I keep mine reasonably sleek. If you don't like the feel of them against your skin, you can wrap them in ribbon or scarves for a new look while keeping the hair away form you back and neck. You can also wear them higher on your head so they sit out a little further.

If you are bored of the same braids and buns, try checking the Hairstyle of the Month board for ideas and tips for new buns and combinations. Also check YouTube if you see a style name that you don't recognize. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

If all of the above isn't working, maybe consider what length you are happy with and prepared to work for. I would love knee length hair personally, but I'm fairly certain I'm not prepared to work for those lengths. Some people are happy with waist-length, some people want all the way to floor. No judgement, if you decide (pick your body-part) length hair is what you want to rock loose all year round, then go for it and we will cheer you on from the sidelines. Your hair, your choices.

Good luck and let me know how you go.

missmex
May 18th, 2016, 10:17 PM
Pailin, I have waist length hair. Waist as in where my hips/butt converge :)

It's more discomfort and self-consciousness (I have a scar on the back of my neck) and really?? I can wear the Octopus clip? :D Now the only worry is it breaking on me (it's so slippery it falls off the counter all the time).

I agree, hair is to enjoy. I can't wait for it to be tailbone length. <3 :)

Simsy
May 18th, 2016, 10:22 PM
Pailin, I have waist length hair. Waist as in where my hips/butt converge :)

It's more discomfort and self-consciousness (I have a scar on the back of my neck) and really?? I can wear the Octopus clip? :D Now the only worry is it breaking on me (it's so slippery it falls off the counter all the time).

I agree, hair is to enjoy. I can't wait for it to be tailbone length. <3 :)

Rock that Octopus clip :rockerdud:, I live in a single 2 prong fork and I'm likely going to be devastated when it finally breaks :pray:
Have you possibly tried low fluffy buns? If the neck area is an issue for you, it may help disguise it or divert attention from it.

missmex
May 18th, 2016, 10:23 PM
Not the weight at all! It's more I like to hide behind my hair. :) I love having bangs (I have straight across bangs), pieces to frame the face, and long curls. My hair is straight though, and tangles so badly hence the need for a protective style :(

Currently I'm about 4-5 inches away from tailbone. I am waist length, aren't I? My hips sit higher on my torso so hip length was a while back, but my hair overlaps the elastic of underwear, pants, etc. I want to reach terminal length, wherever that is, and then maintain a tailbone length or a shoulder length (which I love, but it gets too damaging to style).

Thanks for the resources!! I will definitely look into those :D

missmex
May 18th, 2016, 10:26 PM
Rock that Octopus clip :rockerdud:, I live in a single 2 prong fork and I'm likely going to be devastated when it finally breaks :pray:
Have you possibly tried low fluffy buns? If the neck area is an issue for you, it may help disguise it or divert attention from it.

I'm sad that my hair isn't thick like it used to be (as a kid, the octopus clip was much too small for my hair density) and now it is easy to slip out. I wish there was more hair there. :/

You wear one of these (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512Er9MGFgL._SL1000_.jpg)? :D

yahirwaO.o
May 18th, 2016, 10:27 PM
Im not help here really! But I also hate updos and braids! I love the feeling of my hair down and flowy!!!! :magic:

missmex
May 18th, 2016, 10:27 PM
I looked up fluffy bun.. those are beautiful!!! :D I will so try them! Although, I get major tangles at the nape :(

Simsy
May 18th, 2016, 10:31 PM
I'm sad that my hair isn't thick like it used to be (as a kid, the octopus clip was much too small for my hair density) and now it is easy to slip out. I wish there was more hair there. :/

You wear one of these (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512Er9MGFgL._SL1000_.jpg)? :D

Rock the hair you have, wishing won't change that. My hair is long ringlets and I would give almost anything for the slight wave my sister has.
And the fork, not quite. I wear one of these https://img0.etsystatic.com/104/0/12089893/il_214x170.878385126_95f7.jpg. Although, I'm curious now, what would the holding power be of an average dinner fork?

missmex
May 18th, 2016, 10:35 PM
Yay! I do too :D Plus, it helps in the winter :wink:

missmex
May 18th, 2016, 10:38 PM
When I don't need too much holding power, I just grab two of my cheapest makeup brushes and stick them in my hair like chopsticks :D

Hmm, will you demo it for us? ;)

oooh those look really nice. :O

I'm a new member that registered in '07. I never got to 25 posts, remained a lurker really til now :p

LadyCelestina
May 19th, 2016, 12:08 AM
I hate them too, 95% of time. The only way I learned to semi-like them was 1. I started doing accent braids (game of thrones style) and with so much of the front hair being braided, leaving the rest of the hair out looked weird. 2. When my hair hits a certain length it becomes horribly annoying to have it down all the time.

It also helps if you learn what looks flattering on you... I've been doing the standard in the middle of your head bun, until I one day tried to make it really high up on my head and decided that it looks kinda ok :D

pailin
May 19th, 2016, 12:54 AM
From your description, it sounds like your hair is past waist length, at least hip and maybe further. Waist on this forum is generally considered to be the narrowest part of your torso, probably not far from your belly button.
As for the octopus clip, the whole point of protective styles is to avoid mechanical damage to your hair. To prevent tangling, prevent it catching and rubbing on straps or chair backs, etc, and to protect your ends. Putting it up in the octopus clip ought to do these things. If you're afraid it will break one of these days, then I would just start keeping an eye out for them when shopping, since they can be a little hard to find sometimes, especially the big ones. If you had a spare tucked away, then you know you're all set.
Also, if claw clips are easier for you to work with than sticks/forks, you might try some of the other claw clip buns too. JJJLonghair on YouTube does a lot of buns with Goody claw clips, often with one clip on each side, and her hair is floor length+. I think the way she secures them would allow you to bun relatively loosely. And Hypnotica has bun videos on YouTube (her channel is something like 4ypn0tica, I'm probably not remembering exactly correctly) using one claw clip in the center, with the tail wrapped around it.

Bergelmir
May 19th, 2016, 04:14 AM
I do hate getting my hair fully "up", braid is almost impossible on my stubborn wavy and fine hair anyway and a full bun is somewhat disgusting in my mind, sorry.

Regarding the roots of the hair, the roots (most critical part of the hair) do not enjoy excessive bun and braid-use because there is higher load on certain zones, it is difficult to even out the weight. The most sensitive zone is the front of the scalp, i would never bun or braid it up, rather bun/braid the back part of my scalp and let the front be lose and simply hanging down on both sides on my front (so there is no risk of sitting on it). Of course at advanced lenght there should be some way in order to not let the hair fall into the "sitting location", else they can become damaged. So, certainly, sitting or even lying on them is never recommended. When sleeping it would be good stuff at advanced length (not now) to grab the hair on left and right side and put it to the front of my body and then simply use a scarf in order to pin them to the front part of the body the whole night, and simply not laying on it. But generally, braiding them or using a full bun is a thing i do not enjoy (or not even realistic), especially when sleeping it is rather a hassle.

As when i pass a certain length, probably about waist and more, i surely may need to bun the back part of my hair but front (left and right) will simply be hanging down freely on the front of my body. Finally, the only stuff that matters is to get them out of sitting and the lower area of the back. This is in order to protect the ends and the hair itself, as for the roots, they simply need a low load in general related to any type of weight and of course no tearing.

lapushka
May 19th, 2016, 05:32 AM
It all depends on how long and thick your hair is. Why not try a peacock twist just with a claw clip. I wore that style for a long time, and it's pretty versatile and with added length molds into a log roll just by itself. It's off your neck and easy!

missmex
May 19th, 2016, 06:45 PM
I told my bf that waist back in '07 on here meant narrow part of waist but I google image searched and hip/tailbone length popped up :/

I guess I do have hip just barely. I'll post a photo when I earn the ability to do so :)

Thanks so much for the rec's! <3 I'll definitely buy a backup soon. I do like using makeup brushes for hair sticks when I'm in a hurry though :P

4ypn0tica's hair is gorgeous! Thanks for all of your help :)

missmex
May 19th, 2016, 06:51 PM
I have 1b/1c/M/high end of ii (exactly 4 inches), which I've seen is common around here :)

When I measured it the same way as a teen, I had 5.25 inches thickness. Sigh. Anyway, I hope to be a permanent member now cause I'm definitely wanting to grow it to terminal length or below butt length, whichever comes first.

Thanks for all of your help!!! :)))

missmex
May 19th, 2016, 06:54 PM
Bergelmir, the scarf idea sounds great for nighttime. I am a new graduate so I have time this summer before heading off to my real world job in the fall, and hope to reach tailbone by my birthday in November! I think a silky scarf would help in preventing breakage and tangles (which most of my breakage comes from).