PDA

View Full Version : Oily patches

Ponymad21
May 18th, 2016, 12:50 PM
Does anyone else have a random oily patch at the back of their hair?

It it seems to get much more oily than anywhere else

Complexity
May 18th, 2016, 01:02 PM
Do you bun? Is the oil where the majority of your hair sits?

Ponymad21
May 18th, 2016, 01:02 PM
Do you bun? Is the oil where the majority of your hair sits?

It's right down the centre of the back of my head, where I part my hair for braids

meteor
May 18th, 2016, 01:04 PM
Hmm, could it be that it's hard to get enough shampoo (or other cleanser) in that area, especially if the hair is thick/dense? :hmm: I notice that it's hard for me to shampoo every millimeter of my scalp in the back thoroughly, unless I flip my hair down at some point from upward position. Also, using diluted shampoo helps, because it's easier to spread thoroughly.

But generally speaking, it's my hairline and temple area that gets oily faster.

Complexity
May 18th, 2016, 01:07 PM
I notice that it's hard for me to shampoo every millimeter of my scalp in the back thoroughly, unless I flip my hair down at some point from upward position.

I have a hard time getting all mine as well, unless i bend right back (which may not be the safest, but hey - At least my hair is clean! haha).

Perhaps if this is your issue, you could try washing in sections instead?

lillielil
May 18th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Mine's the opposite. The back is never oily, but the top/front gets oily very quickly.

I also recommend diluting shampoo. Use the same amount as usual, but mix it with water. That way it is a lot easier to distribute.

Nini
May 18th, 2016, 01:45 PM
I need to clarify when I get spots like this. It might be worth a shot:)

meteor
May 18th, 2016, 01:58 PM
I notice that it's hard for me to shampoo every millimeter of my scalp in the back thoroughly, unless I flip my hair down at some point from upward position.

I have a hard time getting all mine as well, unless i bend right back (which may not be the safest, but hey - At least my hair is clean! haha).

Perhaps if this is your issue, you could try washing in sections instead?

Oh yes, Shanda! :agree: Washing in sections works really well. It just takes a bit longer in the shower, but totally worth it! :thumbsup:
Flipping hair back and forth to reach all scalp creates more tangles for me, so sectioning is a great alternative. :D

purpleelephant
May 18th, 2016, 02:31 PM
yes! I am generally oily-skinned (and haired) but by the end of day 1, the top, back of my head is really greasy. Not sure what causes it... (I shampoo well, avoid putting oil/serum/etc on my roots, & all the usual things for someone with greasy hair)

lapushka
May 18th, 2016, 02:55 PM
I wash in sections too. One glob of shampoo for the top of the head, one for the back, and one split down the middle for my two temple sections. I never have issues. Has to be done this way or my hair would not get clean. Don't be afraid to use more shampoo! Massage it in well everywhere, and rinse well.

Anya15
May 18th, 2016, 07:11 PM
Seconding the sectioned shampooing! I wash in four sections too, like Lapushka. Otherwise the shampoo would never reach my scalp properly because of my thickness.

Frankenstein
May 18th, 2016, 11:46 PM
I have the same issue sometimes. It's oily and sometimes even feels sticky. I attribute this to missing that spot when I wash my hair.

lapushka
May 19th, 2016, 05:36 AM
I only started to wash in sections all while stretching, so I think that contributed as well, to the stretching part! I used to just let the suds run even over my scalp and that didn't reach half my head! Gosh when I think so much washing and oil could have been prevented from just washing properly.

I sometimes watch wash 'n go's on YT where I see people just not wash correctly (not reaching beneath their scalp nor massaging the product in enough). It bugs me, but then I used to be like that. If no one ever says anything, you just keep doing what you think is right, right? ;)

kuroi
May 19th, 2016, 07:56 AM
I have the same problem sadly. I switched shampoos and dilute my shampoo now which helps but doesn't eliminate the problem completely. Can somebody explain how to section the hair for washing?

SparrowWings
May 19th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Throwing out a different idea, since you say it's along your part: Could that strip be overcompensating because of the part making the skin feel too exposed? If you part your hair somewhere else, does the oily patch follow it? If you don't part your hair, is there less of an oily patch?

If the patch stays in the same place regardless, I'll agree with everyone else's suggestion that maybe it's just not getting cleaned well enough. I've certainly noticed that just below the crown on my own head, sometimes. As for sectioning, I find I don't need to be strict about that, but I definitely do need to help the shampoo out. I'll put a gob on my hand, make sure my head is drenched, then dab that gob to each temple, near my forehead, reach under to get my nape, then vaguely part my hair to get the rest right onto my crown. That seems to get it spaced evenly enough that when I go back around to actually massage it in and wash (first both temples, then front, then nape, then crown, then perhaps another quick pass at temples and crown), it spreads everywhere.

lapushka
May 19th, 2016, 08:26 AM
I have the same problem sadly. I switched shampoos and dilute my shampoo now which helps but doesn't eliminate the problem completely. Can somebody explain how to section the hair for washing?

Depends. How do you wash your hair; bent down position or standing up? You just glob your shampoo on your head in parts - that's it, and you massage each part on your head separately, to then form a uniform lather.

Lindenare
May 19th, 2016, 09:12 AM
I developed a greasy streak at the back of my head several years ago; I think it was after using a different shampoo than normal for a week or so. I had it for a couple months. It didn't really look greasy (at least not immediately after washing), but felt sort of tacky and terrible, especially in comparison to the rest of my hair. I ended up washing that area very thoroughly, more often than I had been doing before, and that got rid of it. It took more than a week of the extra washing to get rid of it, though; I think it was 2-3 weeks. Afterward, I went back to my normal washing schedule with no problem. So, OP, don't give up if there's not immediate results. It might just take time.