PDA

View Full Version : Long hair in the news

Horrorpops
May 18th, 2016, 05:07 AM
Hey guys,

Saw this girlie pop up in my Facebook feed - her hair is phenomenal, she is growing from knee to floor length.

Article here: http://www.unilad.co.uk/viral/real-life-rapunzel-refuses-to-cut-her-hair/

Typically there have been calls for her to cut and donate but she has stood up for herself and said at the moment she just wants to grow. :o Good on her! I'll definitely be following her on insta!

Just thought some of you might be interested! It isn't often you actually see someone defend not donating their hair in the media! :laugh:

lapushka
May 18th, 2016, 05:32 AM
I'm so glad with the first sentence of the article - not:

"Dashik Gubanova Freckle, from Russia, has become an Instagram celebrity after posting photographs of her ridiculously long hair."

Says enough about the media and perceptions. Wasn't the media supposed to be more neutral? ;)

A few people on here have even *longer* hair than her. So please! :rolleyes: :lol:

humble_knight
May 18th, 2016, 05:38 AM
I think it's great that Russian women feel able to grow their hair out super-long because they certainly seem to have the genes for it. Maybe it's to do with the changing fortunes of Russians today compared to the past when Russia was known, hairwise, as a place where you could get good quality, long hair, to be used as extensions in the West.

Horrorpops
May 18th, 2016, 05:48 AM
I'm so glad with the first sentence of the article - not:

"Dashik Gubanova Freckle, from Russia, has become an Instagram celebrity after posting photographs of her ridiculously long hair."

Says enough about the media and perceptions. Wasn't the media supposed to be more neutral? ;)

A few people on here have even *longer* hair than her. So please! :rolleyes: :lol:

Yeah you can't win 'em all. Honestly I never have high expectations from unilad :laugh:

However I can see how a lot of the hair on these boards could be perceived to be 'ridiculously long' to the uninitiated lay person!

However I thought the article wasn't so bad and her hair is gorgeous!

Horrorpops
May 18th, 2016, 05:50 AM
I think it's great that Russian women feel able to grow their hair out super-long because they certainly seem to have the genes for it. Maybe it's to do with the changing fortunes of Russians today compared to the past when Russia was known, hairwise, as a place where you could get good quality, long hair, to be used as extensions in the West.

Yes I couldn't agree more. I watched a few documentaries on the whole hair extension business and hair acquisition and it made me so sad to see these girls in rural Russia, India and other places get paid a pittance for beautiful virgin hair which will be sold on for massive mark ups!

Angelica
May 18th, 2016, 08:34 AM
She has beautiful hair and I hope she continues to grow it. I don't see why she should be told to donate it, it has nothing at all to do with anyone else. Even the comments below the article/photographs agree with this. People with long hair are being brain washed into doing this. I think a lot of it is jealousy. I hope she sticks to her guns and does not even separate with 10 inches of it to satisfy the minority. Lovely looking woman and hair. My dream hair.

Cg
May 18th, 2016, 08:43 AM
I wonder whether the same folks who urge her to donate part of herself have donated one of their extraneous kidneys.

Anje
May 18th, 2016, 10:19 AM
She's got lovely hair, and I wish the article could spend a moment recognizing that instead of commenting on donation every paragraph. If people are so keen to donate hair, they should do it themselves instead of leaning on others to be charitable.

lapushka
May 18th, 2016, 10:23 AM
She's got lovely hair, and I wish the article could spend a moment recognizing that instead of commenting on donation every paragraph. If people are so keen to donate hair, they should do it themselves instead of leaning on others to be charitable.

Yes, that definitely rubs me the wrong way.

quirkybookworm
May 18th, 2016, 10:30 AM
I have to say that while I was not overly impressed with the article itself and the way it pushed donation -- I was very pleased with the comments from non-longhairs saying that donation shouldn't be pushed, and that she has the right to do whatever she wants to do with her hair.

Excerpt from one of the comments; "Why SHOULD she donate her hair? Maybe she just wants long hair?!"
And, another one; "I couldn't agree more with you. Ffs, it's her hair and I really don't see the reason why she would have to donate it. Also, everone who's saying that she should donate are free to spend 13 years of their life growing their own hair and donate it themselves."

pili
May 18th, 2016, 10:32 AM
I wonder whether the same folks who urge her to donate part of herself have donated one of their extraneous kidneys.

Um...I don't think that is at all fair to compare hair to a kidney.

However, I do agree with that most of the people who suggest donating hair seldom do it themselves.

When my hair was really long it wasn't virgin (fusia and purple highlights) so I was able to deflect the donation comments. It did annoy me enough to turn it back on the and tell them they should grow out their own hair and stop highlighting/coloring it since they felt strongly enough to ask other people to chop off their hair. Usually these women would have above all have shoulder-length cuts and massive amounts of bleaching. It usually shut them up fast and got them off the topic, since there was NO WAY they would let their hair go long and natural in order to donate.

henné
May 18th, 2016, 11:28 AM
I have to say that while I was not overly impressed with the article itself and the way it pushed donation -- I was very pleased with the comments from non-longhairs saying that donation shouldn't be pushed, and that she has the right to do whatever she wants to do with her hair.

Excerpt from one of the comments; "Why SHOULD she donate her hair? Maybe she just wants long hair?!"
And, another one; "I couldn't agree more with you. Ffs, it's her hair and I really don't see the reason why she would have to donate it. Also, everone who's saying that she should donate are free to spend 13 years of their life growing their own hair and donate it themselves."

I loved the comments - all of them were supporting the girl and her right to do whatever she wants with her hair. And all of them but one commenter were also men, which I think is great.

purpleelephant
May 18th, 2016, 02:24 PM
A comment from a buzzfeed article on the topic:
She’s so pretty, but hair that long grosses me out. Maybe Cuz I’m a hairstylist, and hair is like an environmental sponge. It’s also impossible to get it actually clean when it’s normal length. This would be a nightmare to shampoo.

really? Either way, good for Dashik:D

Lavendersugar
May 18th, 2016, 03:07 PM
I saw a different article a few days ago and checked out her IG. At the time no one was urging her to donate. It wasn't until someone wrote an article about her and the media went wild. I honestly can't stand the media or how it creates lenchmobs. People just seemed to want to get worked up about everything.
It's her hair, grow out your own and donate it. Most of these donation places rip off those with cancer. I'm glad to see she's standing her ground.

To general public she has "ridiculously" long hair. To us or at least the way it seems is that long is well long and what most here consider long the main public thinks is crazy long. I see articles all time calling past shoulders long and BSL very long. My thought is most destroy their hair and can't imagine leaving it alone.

Beatnik Guy
May 18th, 2016, 05:25 PM
She was all over media, all over the world a day or two ago (Google her name), but of those I looked at, although they all had the reach-her-toes-before-cut comment, I didn't see any promoting donation so blatantly as this link.

Horrorpops
May 18th, 2016, 05:31 PM
Right?! I think logic quite escapes some of those people. :)

I know I was pretty surprised the amount of support that was in the comments, I wonder sometimes if the tide is turning and people are slowly moving away from that long hair must be cut and donated at a certain length. (fingers crossed :o)

She was all over media, all over the world a day or two ago (Google her name), but of those I looked at, although they all had the reach-her-toes-before-cut comment, I didn't see any promoting donation so blatantly as this link.

Oh really? This is the first I had heard of her, maybe it took a while to reach us here in the land down under! :laugh:

Horrorpops
May 18th, 2016, 05:38 PM
I loved the comments - all of them were supporting the girl and her right to do whatever she wants with her hair. And all of them but one commenter were also men, which I think is great.
Me too! I thought it was really nice! :o

I'm glad to see she's standing her ground.

I know, I don't think I've seen a discussion or mention of someone standing up to the people calling for them to cut in previous similar stories. I thought it was really cool, although sad that its needed in the first place!

Qz
May 18th, 2016, 05:49 PM
Wow, indeed, if all of those people are so wrapped up in donating hair, then by gosh they should put their money where their mouths is and donate their own. Or donate money or wigs or whatever if they can't grow the hair to donate themselves.

I read once when I was getting ready to donate mine (around 2008 or so maybe) that one particular hair charity I was looking into had so much hair stockpiled that it was just ridiculous, and it was not being made into wigs for anyone. After reading that I decided before cutting to find out as much info as possible on those type charities to choose one that would actually make use of it. Then I found out none wanted hair with much if any gray, or much coloring, so that kind of went out the window too.

truepeacenik
May 19th, 2016, 10:55 PM
Yeah you can't win 'em all. Honestly I never have high expectations from unilad :laugh:

However I can see how a lot of the hair on these boards could be perceived to be 'ridiculously long' to the uninitiated lay person!

However I thought the article wasn't so bad and her hair is gorgeous!

For a long while, we used ridiculously long and "vaguely creepy" from a blogger. Occasionally, I'll see a reference to it.

RainbowBowser
May 19th, 2016, 10:57 PM
I just saw the Facebook post and immediately thought "Oh boy I can't wait to see what LHCers have to say about this"

Sarahlabyrinth
May 19th, 2016, 11:38 PM
Such glorious hair!!! :crush:

M.McDonough
May 20th, 2016, 07:10 AM
Damn, and I thought my hair was long :D

DaveDecker
May 20th, 2016, 04:02 PM
For a long while, we used ridiculously long and "vaguely creepy" from a blogger. Occasionally, I'll see a reference to it.

True, and here is an example of one word having different interpretations depending on the context. When used here in the community, "ridiculously long" is meant in a light-hearted, jokingly deprecating way. I don't get the same tone from the (offensively-written topical) article, where it's use seems disparaging.

Shepherdess
May 20th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Thank you so much for sharing this!!! Her hair is completely gorgeous and such an inspiration!!! :thud:

I looked over her instagram page and it looks like she uses oils in her hair care too! :D

papayatree
May 21st, 2016, 08:38 AM
That's a really stunning amount of hair! I hope she can find our forum!

humble_knight
May 21st, 2016, 08:44 AM
Lasse Matberg 'The Real Thor' was also in the news lately because of his Instagram account.

Feast your eyes on this hunk :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=729w7Lr2FUs

TatsuOni
May 22nd, 2016, 05:02 AM
She has beautiful hair:)