PDA

View Full Version : I look like a poodle!

eaglefeather71
October 16th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I made the worst decision when I cut bangs a couple months ago. Lately, my bangs are getting curlier and curlier. My hair is also getting more wave, which i like as long as its not frizzy (happens sometimes) but the bangs are out of control! If I blowfry them(rarely), it only lasts about 30 minutes and I'm a poodle again. Today I was so frustrated I slicked my hair back in a bun and covered my head with a satin scarf because it wouldn't stay slicked down. I can't walk around with a scarf on everyday so I need ideas! Pleeeeese...:D

Magicknthenight
October 16th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I made the worst decision when I cut bangs a couple months ago. Lately, my bangs are getting curlier and curlier. My hair is also getting more wave, which i like as long as its not frizzy (happens sometimes) but the bangs are out of control! If I blowfry them(rarely), it only lasts about 30 minutes and I'm a poodle again. Today I was so frustrated I slicked my hair back in a bun and covered my head with a satin scarf because it wouldn't stay slicked down. I can't walk around with a scarf on everyday so I need ideas! Pleeeeese...:D
Would you feel comfortable pinning your bangs back with like a little hair clip? just a thought :)

ETA: until they grow out?

SweetPea88
October 16th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Would headbands work?

Oskimosa
October 16th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Aww, sounds like you're gonna have to break down and use some hairspray and/or gel. You might need to throw in some hot tools. Blowdrying makes my hair coarse and frizzy, even if the overall wave is gone, it's still puffed up. Try a curling iron or flat iron (use heavy cones first!!) and see if that does the trick. Once they get longer, you can pin them to the side and avoid further damage. They'll be fine when they grow out and then you can trim them off.

It'll be ok once you get used to styling them, I promise. And I bet it's not half as bad as you think it is. We're our own worst critics, aren't we?

SophieGrowGrow
October 16th, 2008, 11:34 PM
better than what happend with mine, mine would stand straight up and then while it was growing out it looked so bad my mum used to sing dolly parton songs in order to make fun of my terrible poofy fringe

ktani
October 17th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Try damp oiling them, not too much. Coconut oil will penetrate the hair and camellia oil has been reported to help smooth hair.

You could do both and no damage to deal with.

Here is the camellia oil thread. You do not need to read all of it. Here is the page where Flaxen talks abour her sources and which oil she prefers. The thread is mostly reviews. On this page you will also find reviews that talk about camellia oil making hair straighter and smoother.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=456&page=7

Rosepatrice
October 17th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I have this exact same problem.

Here's what I do.

Get some good gel ( I use Aussie Mega) and apply it (use sparingly, btw) JUST to the bangs. Somettimes I moisten my bangs with water first, to help the hair lie flat. Next, get a soft head band (they have them a Wallmart for 1.50 ) and place the headband around the top of the head (v.s. the way you would normally wear a headband) like you would wear a hat, over the bangs, flattening them against your forehead. I leave this on for about an hour. Take off the headband, and then comb the bangs flat. With this method, you can always fluff up the bangs slightly so that they are not flat up against your forehead as if you were hit by a pancake. This method is great. I use it all the time since I cut my bags a couple of months ago.

Have fun:cheese:

eaglefeather71
October 17th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Thank you all so much!

I do use scarves and soft headbands often, and clip my bangs straight back or put a small claw clip on the top of my head with my bangs puffed in front of it.

I just can't get myself to use the conventional products. I'm pretty au-natural. I did go ahead and get some Giovanni leave in treatment today. We'll see how my hair reacts to that.

Once, I bobby pinned my bangs down while they dried and that worked pretty good, but I looked pretty funny while my hair was drying.

Thanks again, these are great ideas!

Arctic
October 17th, 2008, 06:35 PM
When my fringe was at irritating length I often made a little french or dutch braid of it along the front hair line.

eaglefeather71
October 18th, 2008, 08:10 AM
When my fringe was at irritating length I often made a little french or dutch braid of it along the front hair line.
I may try this on Monday for work, it sounds pretty if done correctly. I can make a simple french braid down the back of my head and thats about the extent of my talents, so we'll see how it goes.

Katze
October 20th, 2008, 04:21 AM
hi hairtwin!

As another owner of stubborn barely-wavy hair, I feel your pain. First of all, it may be the length you're at. My hair started 'flipping out' at chin and didn't start looking better until shoulder. Barettes, pincurls, headbands, even tiny 'braid stubs' are your friends.

I would avoid braiding before wearing it out unless you want really kinked 'bumps', just based on my experience. Bobby pins while drying gave me a nice, 1920s-1930s look when my hair was at your length.

Hair gel and aloe gel both work well for me, but my hair is longer an thus has more weight than yours. Perhaps some leave-in, or even a heavy product on JUST the ends, would help give it more weight?

Good luck, let us know what you find...

Katze

eaglefeather71
October 20th, 2008, 06:39 AM
With the length of my hair also becoming more wavy than before, I have also been trying to find a good compromise between straight and curly. What has worked for me the past few days is to flip my head upside down, and put coconut oil on my palms and sort of smooth and scrunch my ends and run my fingers through being careful not to get too much CO in my hair. When I flip back the curls are nicer and the CO eventually soaks in so I'm left with softer curls.

I'm still fighting with my bangs, but I noticed if I part on the opposite side I was before, they lay better... The only problem with this part is that its right where my grey patch is so they show more. I would prefer some greys showing more than looking like a poodle. I'm going to post a pic some time today so you'all can see how my hair has changed so much.

eaglefeather71
October 20th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Looking at my avatar, that was taken about 3 weeks ago.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1844&pictureid=23481

1 week ago

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1844&pictureid=23482

a couple days ago

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1844&pictureid=23483

Yesterday

It is getting progressivly wavier, yes? What classification would I be at now? Do you think it is different than what I have in my profile?

Siava
October 20th, 2008, 02:13 PM

That's a cute idea.

MandaMom2Three
October 20th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Ug this happened to me too. When my hair was still waist length, I decided to cut bangs. Total poodleness!!! It's been a pain in the neck but they are growing out finally :p

Speckla
October 20th, 2008, 07:37 PM
c'mon now, poodles are kind of cute. ;)
________
Marijuana test (http://drugtestingkit.org)

eaglefeather71
October 20th, 2008, 08:38 PM
c'mon now, poodles are kind of cute. ;)
What mine really looks like most of the time is a very large old fashioned mustasch sitting on my forehead. You know the ones that stick out and curl up on each side...:D SEXY!

MandaMom2Three
October 20th, 2008, 09:04 PM
What mine really looks like most of the time is a very large old fashioned mustasch sitting on my forehead. You know the ones that stick out and curl up on each side...:D SEXY!

YES!!!! That is EXACTLY what mine look like!!!!! I'm not alone!!!!! :cheese: