PDA

View Full Version : Do Your Parents Like Your Long Hair?

Ellethwyn
May 16th, 2016, 02:55 PM
Do your parents like your long hair? Do they compliment you on it? Do they like to play with your hair?

Or do they not like your long hair? Do they ask when you will be getting a haircut? Or tell you they don't like it long?

MlleMC
May 16th, 2016, 03:18 PM
When I was younger, my mother told me that I should cut my hair pretty often when it got long, but it's been a while since she last did. Though she did offer to cut my ends last time I walked around with my hair loose in my parents' house (I did let her trim 2 inches, as I hadn't trimmed at all in nearly 4 years and I badly needed it). But lately, she's the one who gave me my very first hairstick, so I guess she's come to accept that I won't cut it for a loooong while.

As for my father, the only comment he ever made was that he thought I had always had long hair, even though I had many chin-length cuts in my late teens.

nekosan
May 16th, 2016, 03:18 PM
Don't really know, don't care. I think my parents (well, my mom; my dad is much more mellow) has enough other things to bug me about that my hair is way down the list.

humble_knight
May 16th, 2016, 03:24 PM
I was surprised to hear from my mum that she likes my hair and said I should grow it a bit more, and my beard also, and try modelling. Oh dear, mother. Oh dear.Bless :laugh::laugh:

My goal is BSL, which I think she would be interested to see [I'm growing my hair for myself, though]

Cg
May 16th, 2016, 03:37 PM
My mother always thought mine was the most beautiful hair on earth. (Mothers!)

lapushka
May 16th, 2016, 03:37 PM
My mom helps take care of it for me (I'm disabled) and so yes, she loves it. My dad sometimes jokes when I have my curly Tee towel on my head and he sometimes jokingly asks if he should cut a bit off - because he knows how much I'm attached to it and how much it's a "thing" for me. Yes, they both like it because *I* like it. However I choose to wear it is okay with them. I'm lucky, I guess. :) :o

fiðrildi
May 16th, 2016, 03:45 PM
They don't dislike it, but I'm sure both of them would like me to get it trimmed (a foot or two) :laugh:.

Arctic
May 16th, 2016, 03:46 PM
I don't know.

Shepherdess
May 16th, 2016, 03:48 PM
I think that my parents like my hair. My mom always liked my hair long, and always encouraged me to keep it that way. She has long hair too though, and I think was one who inspired me to have long hair as a little girl.

Platzhalter
May 16th, 2016, 03:50 PM
They don't really seem to care too much. My appearance, my choice or so.

AZDesertRose
May 16th, 2016, 03:58 PM
My mom was a little surprised when I told her I was growing back at least to waist, but ever since I got to be old enough to take care of my own hair, she's been pretty hands-off about my hair. I don't think I fuss enough over my appearance in general for her; I think she'd be happier if I wore makeup more often and dressed in a more traditionally feminine way, but I just can't be bothered most of the time, and she isn't about to fuss at me about it whatever her opinion is, if for no other reason than that I'm forty years old. :D

My stepdad has never expressed an opinion and I'm not sure he really gives a rip what I do with my hair. He cares about me, don't get me wrong. It's just that my hairstyle choices aren't really on his radar of Things About Which He Should Concern Himself.

ETA: My biological father is dead and I wouldn't have cared about his opinion of my hair anyway; we weren't speaking (for reasons of him being an alcoholic and abusive as well) for about the last twenty-five years of his life.

Shepherdess
May 16th, 2016, 04:02 PM
I was surprised to hear from my mum that she likes my hair and said I should grow it a bit more, and my beard also, and try modelling. Oh dear, mother. Oh dear.Bless :laugh::laugh:

My goal is BSL, which I think she would be interested to see [I'm growing my hair for myself, though]
That's really sweet. haha! I love to hear it when parents are so supportive like that. :D

My mom helps take care of it for me (I'm disabled) and so yes, she loves it. My dad sometimes jokes when I have my curly Tee towel on my head and he sometimes jokingly asks if he should cut a bit off - because he knows how much I'm attached to it and how much it's a "thing" for me. Yes, they both like it because *I* like it. However I choose to wear it is okay with them. I'm lucky, I guess. :) :o
This is really wonderful!! :)

irishsapphire
May 16th, 2016, 04:10 PM

I'm fortunate in that my parents are like that. As long as I'm happy they are happy :) My dad likes to joke whenever I say I'm going for a trim that he has a dull pocket knife and could spare me the cost. I tell him to try and see what happens :D

Ellethwyn
May 16th, 2016, 05:20 PM
I'm fortunate in that my parents are like that. As long as I'm happy they are happy :) My dad likes to joke whenever I say I'm going for a trim that he has a dull pocket knife and could spare me the cost. I tell him to try and see what happens :D

Lol Awww your dad is funny.

Qz
May 16th, 2016, 08:04 PM
After I hit about 30, my mom stopped telling me I needed to curl my hair. I think she gave up on me. Other than that, short or long, they don't seem to have any opinion that they share with me, anyway. Of course I'm pushing 60 now and they're quite old, so I figure we all have other more important things to say to each other :)

DweamGoiL
May 16th, 2016, 08:42 PM
Both my parents are dead now so I voted I don't know :)

pailin
May 16th, 2016, 08:51 PM
My mother always used to ask when I was going to cut it. Now it's longer than it's ever been, and she hasn't seen it yet- it's a year and half since I've seen her and it will be almost 2 years (and 12 inches) by the time I see her later this year, so we'll see then!

lithostoic
May 16th, 2016, 09:14 PM
It's not long yet, but I've gotten the "that's a really nice length on you" comment, which could mean "don't grow it any longer than that". Not sure though.

Anje
May 16th, 2016, 10:14 PM
My mom always eyes mine and comments that it looks surprisingly good and not fried at the ends. It meets her approval, I guess, even if she generally expects hair this long to be nasty or something. Dad has never expressed an opinion.

spirals
May 16th, 2016, 10:55 PM
My dad's only expressed opinion has been "Your hair--it's just...everywhere!!" but that was much more about the crazy family curl than the length. My mom doesn't dislike my hair, but is clueless as to why I desire so much to have it really long. Her thoughts on hair go like this: "It grows out of my head and when it gets too long, I cut it. End of story." :lol:

irishsapphire
May 16th, 2016, 11:02 PM
Lol Awww your dad is funny.

neko_kawaii
May 16th, 2016, 11:04 PM
Mama remarks on how long it has gotten. No need to read between the lines there, hers is classic length.

Frankenstein
May 16th, 2016, 11:35 PM
They like it and have no problem with it. My dad always mentions that he likes long hair.

lapushka
May 17th, 2016, 04:17 AM
This is really wonderful!! :)

Yes it is, and it takes about 0 care for them during the week. I just put it up in 15 sec, that's it, no combing no brushing. So that's a load off their backs. It's just one day in the week that I need my mom for my hair - and I need her for other things plenty enough already, so it beats having short hair that needs to be dried & styled 2/3 times a week.

TatsuOni
May 17th, 2016, 04:36 AM
None of the options suit me since my parents doesn't have the same opinion.

My mother have always wanted me to have long hair, so she's happy that I'm growing it. Though she would support me even it would have been the opposite, since the important thing is that I'm happy with myself.

I don't think that my father cares. He used do dislike it when I was younger and I understand that. He had to brush and braid it. Not only did it get tangled easy and I had a sensitive scalp, but I also used to bath for about 5-12 hours a day a chlorine pool every day during summers... He was very happy when I had enough of it and decided to have it cut short. Today he when he sees my hair let out while I'm redoing my bun or such, he comments that it has gotten long and asks if I don't remember how nice it felt to have it short. I answer that it isn't in the way anymore and isn't hard to detangle. Hes reaction in pretty much "okey". He too wants me to be happy with myself.

genlilliana
May 17th, 2016, 09:12 AM
My dad doesn't comment on it...other than it's gotten long. (I had chopped it during my divorce...it was a great spite on the ex and got rid of a lot of damage.) My husband and daughter both love my hair long and compliment it frequently - especially when I style it (braid, bun, whatever...)

Amenahh
May 17th, 2016, 09:32 AM
I can't vote because my hair is not long.
But my mom loves long hair and always hates it when I cut it short. She's happy that I'm growing it again though.
I don't think my dad could care less about my hair.

pili
May 17th, 2016, 09:44 AM
I put that I don't know because they differ in opinion. My mom is one of those people who think women should cut their hair so it doesn't "age" them. She's been after me to do this since I had my first baby at 30. For her "short" is shoulder to chin length. My dad loves long hair on women. All women. He is also a very quiet guy, and tends to keep his opinions to himself. When I had a pixie he refrained from making any comment. He does give compliments when my hair is long, but it is usually just to say it is nice. Once, we were at a sports bar watching a fútbol game (we are Colombian) and he had a few beers. My hair was BSL and my mom started in on me about the length of my hair. My dad told her in a very exasperated tone of voice to drop it, and then he proceeded to go on about how beautiful my hair was and I shouldn't cut it. I'd never heard him say so much about my hair. Ever.

PurpleKitty11
May 17th, 2016, 11:55 AM
my mother hates my hair and tells me to cut it all the time!

lapis_lazuli
May 17th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Mine are pretty indifferent about it. My mom knows how important my hair is to me though, and has stopped pushing me to go to the hairdresser's ;)

spirals
May 17th, 2016, 01:44 PM
My dad told her in a very exasperated tone of voice to drop it, and then he proceeded to go on about how beautiful my hair was and I shouldn't cut it. I'd never heard him say so much about my hair. Ever.
I love this story.

pili
May 17th, 2016, 01:54 PM
I love this story.

Me too. :)

PixieP
May 17th, 2016, 02:34 PM
I have no idea what they think, and I really couldn't care less. If one of them dislike it, too bad :P it's none of their business.

I know MIL loves it though, she complements the length and colour all the time :)

Freija
May 17th, 2016, 02:38 PM
My dad and granddad adore my hair. They say it is beautiful, shiny and soft, and very like my grandmother's in colour (I was never able to meet her). My dad treats me to a haircut a couple of times a year; there's a stylist I really love, who is very gentle and supportive of my desire for long hair and although she is an hour away by train he and I make a day of it - we meet up, he gets coffee and reads a paper while I'm in the salon then we go to a gallery or museum together, have lunch, etc.. My granddad always asks very worriedly, 'oh, you didn't cut it?!' every time he sees me and I have it tied back, including when I visited him in hospital right after he had just been through a heart attack... it makes me feel very special and very loved by them both.

My aunt is indifferent. She much prefers short hair on her girls, but it's because she thinks we have nice faces that long hair hides, so I don't mind! She means it lovingly, and she never comments or criticises because she knows that long hair is what I want. She said it was special once, and if I'm happy with it then she is. : )

lillielil
May 17th, 2016, 03:27 PM
If my mom has any opinions on my hair, she has kept them to herself for 20 years. :D

spirals
May 17th, 2016, 08:07 PM
Freija, your post is making me cry. I can't see to type!

Horrorpops
May 18th, 2016, 02:23 AM
I selected "I don't know" but what I really meant is "They don't care" :bigtongue: I don't think my parents care about my hair length haha!

Ligeia Noire
May 18th, 2016, 01:57 PM
My mom loves it, she is a long haired woman herself and my dad teases me a lot about it but he likes it too.

callahanwade
May 19th, 2016, 02:11 PM
My mom loved my hair when it was longer, and was very sad when I cut it to pixie length. She has made several comments about how much she misses my long hair. I do too but I'm glad I got the pixie. I'm able to learn how to take care of my hair without stressing about how damaged the ends are, and having a pixie cut was a fun experience.

andrea1982
May 19th, 2016, 02:31 PM
My Dad has no opinion I'm sure. My Mom always had my hair cut in Pixie's when I was a kid because it was "too much hair" to deal with. Now my mom has accepted my hair, and even compliments my updos from time to time, but for years she would still stay how cute I always looked with a pixie.

Hairkay
May 19th, 2016, 02:37 PM
I think my mother is fine with my hair as it is. She did once plan to have us daughters hair cropped very short when we were young children but that was if she found our hair too thick to handle easily. Thankfully she managed okay so she let it be. Since I'm grown she no longer has to deal with my hair. I'd started doing my hair daily by the time I was 12. She'd only do it on the occasional day then I stopped letting her do it when I got to 16.

starfire
May 22nd, 2016, 09:01 AM
They both do not like my long hair. But it has to do with them both liking short hair in general. My mom has worn a pixie for the last several decades. My mom offers to cut my hair sometimes (she cuts my son's hair and her husband's hair), but not in a pressuring kind of way. My stepdad has commented that I need about 3 feet cut.
But it's my hair and I'm an adult so their preference doesn't matter!

Allexandra
May 22nd, 2016, 09:30 AM
I can tell for sure that my father hates it but my mother's opinion is that a girl should wear her hair long and beautiful as it looks more feminine. There was a time though when my mother was tired of my long hair due to the fact that it was falling and she would find it everywhere, even in the kitchen which is kind of disgusting if you think about it haha.

Garnetgem
May 23rd, 2016, 05:22 AM
My mum loves it and its her i trust when i have a trim...if i ask for a certain amount to be trimmed off i know she will do as i ask i feel safe..she always tells me not to cut and even advises me on brushes and conditioners..her latest advice was telling me to stop using conditioner as i had residue and tangles i took her advice and like magic my hair is in better condition for not conditioning!

Kirby-oh
May 23rd, 2016, 02:09 PM
Mom likes it, I don't know what Dad really thinks because he likes to give me grief about it. It was a lot of fun to surprise them with it. :)

While growing out my hair I did a beard experiment; it was pretty long too, but I took it down fairly short when I realized the moustache was never going to get long enough to look right with a long beard, which is what my Mom suggested pretty much the whole time. Hair still going though.

Alun
May 23rd, 2016, 07:33 PM
None of the options suit me since my parents doesn't have the same opinion.

My mother have always wanted me to have long hair, so she's happy that I'm growing it. Though she would support me even it would have been the opposite, since the important thing is that I'm happy with myself.

I don't think that my father cares. He used do dislike it when I was younger and I understand that. He had to brush and braid it. Not only did it get tangled easy and I had a sensitive scalp, but I also used to bath for about 5-12 hours a day a chlorine pool every day during summers... He was very happy when I had enough of it and decided to have it cut short. Today he when he sees my hair let out while I'm redoing my bun or such, he comments that it has gotten long and asks if I don't remember how nice it felt to have it short. I answer that it isn't in the way anymore and isn't hard to detangle. Hes reaction in pretty much "okey". He too wants me to be happy with myself.

I voted don't like, but really I have a similar problem with the poll. Now, bear in mind that my mum and dad are in their 80s.

My mum doesn't like long hair on anyone. It took me a while to realise that it wasn't because I'm a guy. She has shoulder length hair and doesn't believe anyone else should wear it longer. I think it may tie in with something she said about how when she was in school girls with long hair were teased by other girls saying they had nits, i.e. lice.

My dad never raises the subject, although he did once say that he was talking with another guy whose son had green hair and they both thought we'd grow out of it when we got older, but we didn't. All I can really glean from that is that he's glad my hair isn't green!

schulte
May 23rd, 2016, 10:11 PM
I thought my parents would really dislike it since I had real short hair my whole life. Turns out mom is a big fan, says it really suits me and that I ought to keep it long. Dad teases me a bit, but mostly he seems indifferent which is better than I would have bet on.

kuroi
May 23rd, 2016, 11:52 PM
My mum is impressed with my hair length. She never managed to get further then apl. Her girlfriend on the other hand dislikes anything longer then shoulder length, and tells me I look like a witch.

endersworld
May 24th, 2016, 05:46 AM
My parents were initially very supportive when I wanted to grow my hair long. My dad has always loved long hair on women, and I think he was pretty sad when my mom cut hers short (her hair is about pixie-length now). However, as it's gotten longer, there have definitely been comments about when I'm going to cut it. No one in my family has had hair as long as mine, except for maybe way back in the family history. Even my great-grandmas had fairly short hair; they both did a lot of farm work, and so I guess long hair would have gotten in their way. I don't think my parents are unsupportive by any means, but they are definitely a bit confused as to why I want my hair so long.

On the other hand, I think my aunt and cousin are a bit envious (the good kind of envious) of my hair. They can't get theirs past BSL, and honestly, it looks kind of awful once they do, because they highlight it and straighten it multiple times a day. So they always compliment me on how long and healthy mine is, which is a nice change. :)

kuroi
May 24th, 2016, 07:08 AM
No wonder they can't get it longer then bsl if they treat their hair so terrible.

endersworld
May 24th, 2016, 09:07 PM
No wonder they can't get it longer then bsl if they treat their hair so terrible.

I know! I kind of just try to slide in tiny pieces of advice when I can. I think even just adding some heat protectant spray or better conditioner would work wonders for them...they're just convinced that their hair isn't manageable otherwise, and that straightening it makes it 'shinier'.

On the bright side, my grandma loves my hair. I enjoy hanging out with her because she always wants to see how long it's gotten! I think she probably wanted longer hair when she was young, but she was a child/teen during the 50's and 60's, and the popular styles weren't usually conducive to hair longer than APL/BSL.

HairPlease
May 25th, 2016, 01:11 PM
The only thing I ever get is from my mom: "Hmm, you're hair is getting so long." And I just say "Thanks," and the discussion ends. lol

cathair
May 26th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Dad doesn't care. I thinks it's invisible. He prides himself on being very visually aware, but didn't notice when it turned blue. What do you think about my hair Dad? 'What about it?' The colour. 'How should I know'.

Mum doesn't like it, would prefer it just below shoulder, but has given up. She's morbidly impressed/fascinated it could get this long and be so thin. She likes to point out people decades older than me with shoelace width braids and tell me how that's going be me in a couple of years + 9 more cats.

Step Dad hates it. I've never seen him as happy as when she cut my step brother's long hair off. He's an odd chap. My hair offends him more if it's up than down, despite the length. But if it is down is perilous. He can't help trying to do brutal things to the ends when I am not looking. He really can't, it's like a compulsion. Bless him, he did make me some hair sticks for my birthday. I don't think he means harm.

Aunt hates it. Insists we have the same hair type and that is it too thin to grow. She is convinced I will be half bald by my mid forties. Who knows, she was trained as a hairdresser, maybe she's right. Uncle is the only one who likes it I suppose, wishes my Aunt had never cut hers off. I guess it reminds him of her when she was younger.

TL;DR: No one likes it. Especially not my family. But to say they really care about it would be over stating things massively.

F' 'em.

MINAKO
May 26th, 2016, 09:52 PM
I think my mom likes it in general but would prefer it at waist to hip length and styled more often into that wanna be Victorias Secret waves i have in my profile pic when it was that length. Now i look like a mix of housemaid and wuxia warrior to her with my bun all the time :cool:

Spinder
May 26th, 2016, 10:07 PM
My Dad never had any sisters, and is a lifelong military man, so he couldn't care less about "girl stuff" - hair, makeup, women's clothing, etc etc.. Mom likes it though! :heart:

parkmikii
May 28th, 2016, 05:36 AM
I never asked them if they actually like it nor they expressed their opinion about it.

endlessly
May 28th, 2016, 05:42 AM
Mine have moments of not really caring, but at least once or twice a week, someone will mention how "cute" my hair was when I was younger because it was so short or if I complain about my hair being in my way, they'll tend to just be like, "Well, then cut it already."

Kiiruna
May 28th, 2016, 06:35 AM
They don't really care how long or short my hair is. And I like it that way - it's actually none of their business what I do with my hair :D

nitagurl
April 18th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Of course they do. My mom applauds every new length I reach. I'll only find out that she's been talking about my hair to her friends when one of them messages me for hair advice. She completely approves of whatever I do to my hair and how i style it since it's completely natural. If I were to throw in a weave (:puke:), get a relaxer, or bleach it she'd probably make passive aggressive comments around me about it. One thing is for sure, the compliments about my appearance would completely stop. She just hates fake or/and chemically treated hair.

My step-dad has made comments here or there about my hair. A simple, "oh, your hair looks nice" ((fatherly nod)) let's me know that he REALLY likes it.

hj3876
April 18th, 2017, 03:39 PM
I think both of my parents preferred my hair when it was long. When I cut it off, my mom didn't mind the change, but my dad thought it wasn't an improvement. They're both happy that I'm choosing to grow it out again.

Siri
April 18th, 2017, 06:00 PM
My parents are both gone now but they loved my long hair. :heart: My father's sisters had long hair too (knee length) so he was used to long hairs. :o

Aredhel
April 18th, 2017, 06:07 PM
We've never really discussed it :shrug: She's suggested that I try something shorter just for something new, but it was just an offhand remark and she didn't actually seem bothered by my hair.

school of fish
April 18th, 2017, 06:13 PM
I guess I don't really know one way or the other. I do know they'd support whatever way I chose to wear my hair, no matter how long or short it was. It's my hair and my decision - they hold no claim on it any more than I hold any claim on how long or short the wear theirs ;)

languagenut
April 19th, 2017, 02:07 AM
My parents like it long. But my mom seems to think it looked better with layers, and my current preference of all one length is boring.

Kake
April 19th, 2017, 02:33 AM
My dad tells me that I should have a pixie. But I'm not taking tips from 80 year old men.

My mum cut my long hair into a pixie when I was 7, which she talked me into. I agreed, but was coerced. I'm sure she would prefer me to have a pixie now too. My hair texture did not suit a pixie, and her styling consisted of combing. It was horrible. I had it like that for years. I was teased a lot at school because of the frizzy puffiness.

Just writing that out makes me feel more forgiving towards myself for the years of dying and straightening. Straighteners were like a heaven sent personal gift. Until I burnt it.

Now I can put it up. Wonderful!

Kikyou
April 19th, 2017, 03:15 AM
My dad loves it. His opinion is, that a girl looks her best with very long hair and it compliments all girls beauty. Old fashioned attitude, but he's approving my growing journey :D My mom is impressed and proud by the lenght I'm able to achieve (I'm at tailbone and probably can get to classic, all women in her family had very long terminal). She actually thinks I look best with shorter hair, she says that chin to shoulder is the most flattering for me, but she's not trying to push it on me and sends me my favourite conditioner from my home country :D When I was at home for holidays and did a fancy braided updo for visiting my grandparents she was like "Just look at her hair! She did it herself! How awesome is that!" to everyone who saw us on that day :D

Kat-Rinnè Naido
April 19th, 2017, 08:09 AM
I'm sure my mom likes my hair. When I was growing she used to love styling my hair and showing me off to friends and family. However my hair never used to grow beyond APL no matter how much we tried to grow it. Now she must be smiling down from heaven telling all there "that's my daughter her hair is almost hip and still growing".

Olavi
April 19th, 2017, 08:21 AM
I don't think they care much. They occasionally compliment or comment my hair, but they haven't expressed any opinion on whether or not they like it. I think they might view it as a "Not my hair, not my opinion" -thing.

Aunty Miki
April 19th, 2017, 11:58 AM
My mom hated caring for my hair (and my sister and I, in general), so she chopped it off á la Mommy Dearest fashion when she got frustrated with it. I was 4 and 6. My dad loved my hair and was heartbroken that she butchered it. He used to brush it so carefully. Now, he's thrilled that I'm growing it longer than it's ever been and amused by my hair hobby.

elfgirl
April 19th, 2017, 12:18 PM
My mum loved my long hair way back when, she likes it short too, but we both miss my longer hair....hopefully that will change in the coming year(s) ^_^

Siv
April 19th, 2017, 12:35 PM
My hair's currently at a very conventional armpit/bra-strap length so they haven't said much, but they did love it back in the day when it was waist length, even though it was in bad need of a trim. So they definitely approve of me having it long, though they were quite curious when I decided to do a major chop in high school and did like it at chin-and-shaved-length as well! I'd never had it short before that. They're mostly supportive, though were a bit more "suspicious" when I henna glossed it into a strawberry blonde. They seemed to accept it after awhile (though I'm not sure they actively liked it...). They don't care much what length I have, I think, but they're kind off fussy about my hair colour and want me to leave it natural :P

Panedora
April 19th, 2017, 03:03 PM
I am not sure my parents know how long my hair is. I have not seen my parents in more that a year. I don't have a relationship with my mother and my father lives 2000s miles form me, but my father told me as a child that a woman hairs is her glory so I imagine my dad would be pleased. I imagine my mother would tell me to cut it off.

macguffin
July 26th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Safe to say they'd prefer it short, but in the end I think they're more indifferent to it than really against it.

melesine
July 26th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Nope my mom wishes that I'd cut it into a "style".

Ankjo
July 26th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Well... My parents don't really care how long I want to grow my hair. My mom would be mad at me if I dyed it, but since I'm not planning to do that there is no problem. I think the only thing they dislike is that they find hairs all over the house :lol: I'm having a "shedding more" period.

Corvana
July 26th, 2017, 12:48 PM
Considering I'm creeping up on 30, I don't particularly care LOL But I doubt they care either tbh. My mother-in-law on the other hand... y-i-k-e-s.

tealeafdancer
July 26th, 2017, 01:09 PM
I wish there were an 'I don't care' option as I really do not care.

Plus I've been an adult for nearly a decade and a half and have kids on my own and if there's one thing I know it is that I will never express my opinion on (unless I'm asked) on their hair and clothing. As long as they clothe appropriately for the weather, it's not my business to tell my kids how to look or style themselves.

Freedom of self-expression y'all!

Don't ever give two jibs about what others think of your hair or clothes or your 'look.' I hope you enjoyed that unsolicited advice :D

animetor7
July 26th, 2017, 01:26 PM
My mom does not understand the concept of stretching washes, so that's strange for her. As for the length I doubt either of them really notice or care. I know for a fact my dad doesn't notice as I once chopped a foot off of it and he didn't notice. I mean, I get when people don't notice trims, they are after all trims and are usually only noticeable to the person getting them, but a foot? really father? Oh well.

twill
July 26th, 2017, 02:24 PM
They both do. In fact, they both would flip their lids and possibly cry if I ever cut it xD

saff.cel
July 26th, 2017, 02:27 PM
Considering I'm creeping up on 30, I don't particularly care LOL But I doubt they care either tbh. My mother-in-law on the other hand... y-i-k-e-s.

I feel like there's a story here, I'll pop the popcorn and wait. ;)

Sarahlabyrinth
July 26th, 2017, 04:19 PM
I think my dad would have liked my long hair, as he loved his mother's classic length hair. When he was a little boy he would sit on her bed and watch her brushing it, and think how beautiful it was. But I didn't begin growing mine until after he died.

As for my mother, she will often show amazement at how long my hair is.

We visited her this week and she took my braid in her hand and said "Will you LOOK at the length of your hair?!" in wonderment. Then there was a pause. Then came "You should cut it." But she has admired it on occasion too. She has mostly always had short hair herself, except for during the 1970s when she had APL length hair (worn in a beehive type of style with masses of backcombing), so I guess her preference is for short hair, she is of the old school where the belief is that you have to have your hair professionally washed and styled every week, and the do-it-yourself haircare thing is rather dowdy and slovenly.

Corvana
July 26th, 2017, 05:20 PM
I feel like there's a story here, I'll pop the popcorn and wait. ;)

:rollin: She doesn't like me, and (after 9 years of marriage, and a kid, mind you) will say anything to try to get Husband to divorce me. So even if she actually would like my hair, she would say otherwise because she can't possibly admit to anything positive about me ever.

lithostoic
July 26th, 2017, 05:58 PM
Lately when family sees it, they enthusiastically say "it's getting long!" Positive feedback :)

lisamt
July 26th, 2017, 07:29 PM
I'm not too sure about how my parents feel. my dad doesn't really care, it doesn't affect him. my mom doesn't mind my hair she just doesn't like that I tend to obsess over it. she has apl and my sister has about bsl and she's always telling me that their hair is fine and they don't do all the stuff that I do to mine, but my hair is pretty different than theirs and it's been damaged in the past.

my paternal grandmother on the other hand LOVES my hair. that side of my family has very fair, thin, straight, and fine hair and I'm the only one of her grandchildren with hair that isn't like that. she also loves long hair and hates whenever my cousins cut their hair so she really loves my hair and honestly wants it to be longer

leayellena
July 27th, 2017, 02:14 AM
their liers anyway: when I lived with them for 23 years they cropped my hair so short I looked like a mushroom. with or without layers.
now that I am growing my hair long(er) they don´t even care: they change the subject.

note: yeah psychology really helps understanding why people are ignorant...

PrincessAralin
July 27th, 2017, 05:08 AM
My mother has always loved my hair, she used to play with it a lot when I was a kid and these days she'll always just randomly mention how pretty it is.

mamastawb
July 27th, 2017, 08:14 PM
After watching her baby girl attempt to be punk-rock for several years, I would say my mother is over the moon to see an end to the bleaching, pink die, and shaved sides, and is ecstatic that my hair is longer than hers now.

Dendra
July 28th, 2017, 05:36 AM
My hair has never been beyond BSL, but last time it was there, even though the ends (to me) looked thin as I treated my hair abysmally, my mum still thought it looked nice. I saw a photo where I thought it looked thin and asked if she thought I should get a hair cut and she said no, it looked nice. That coming from my mum means she definitely liked it - she has noooo problem saying if she doesn't! Haha, in a nice way of course, she just doesn't mince her words.

unheardletters
July 29th, 2017, 06:29 AM
My mom doesn't like it. She is very much concerned with fashion etc and constantly wants me to dye my hair and cut it short. She started dying my hair when I was 6 years old.

Cherriezzzzz
July 29th, 2017, 07:07 AM
Both of my parents, although not together since I was a baby, LOVE long hair, especially mine :) hmm everyone likes my hair... I think it's the natural red though.

pandabarrier
July 29th, 2017, 07:26 AM
My parents kept my hair shorter (APL, chin) when I was growing up, for convenience and because they thought I looked better with shorter hair.
I had chin length hair in my teenage years thru early 30s, except a couple of times pixie in my teenage years, and MBL in my early 20s. When my hair was longer than APL, whenever I visited my parents, it was a barrage of comments like "you look tired with long hair" or "long hair will make you anemic". They meant well, I don't resent them for making those comments.
In my early 30s I decided to grow long hair on a whim, had a couple of bad haircuts, but now I'm on track to longer hair. I live far from my parents, they rarely see my hair, my hair is always bunned in video phone calls, they seem indifferent to my long hair, but would be shocked if they knew I wish to grow to knee if my genes allow it.

MoonRabbit
July 29th, 2017, 09:48 AM
My mom had knee length hair up until I turned 19. Then she cut it all off to a pixie. I think after my fathers death, she was looking for a change to let go of her past self and move forward in life. But she will always be a long hair at heart and she knows exactly how I feel about my hair. But she does say the occasional joke comment like "You and your sister finally decide to grow your hair after I cut mine". She is also always the first one to comment on one of my new hairstyles.

LinzDigital
July 31st, 2017, 03:31 AM
My parents both had the quintessential hippy hair. My dad had to cut his off when he started piloting, and my mom briefly had a mom-cut, but then she grew it back out and so did my dad after piloting. Me however, my whole childhood they had me in a pageboy cut. No idea why. So I had tried to grow it out a few other times and always failed misterable when I would get to that point where I didn't know how to take care of it, and cut it all back off. thank goodness for the internet! I woulda never made it this time.

LinzDigital
July 31st, 2017, 03:37 AM
Oops! I hit 'reply' to soon, and cant figure out how to edit :D

I meant to add, that now that I've grown it out, my mom asks me all kinds of advice.... and I have finally learned why they cut my hair as a kid. It must have been because they didn't know what to do with it either. I think my moms actually a bit jealous though :) She has pin straight fine blond hair. The opposite of me with my wavy frizzy light brown/dark blond hair. But shoe doesn't know the meaning of permanent frizz either.

Maple
July 31st, 2017, 03:51 AM
They don't really care. My dad complains about all the long hair lying on the floor when I come for a visit, but it's not really meant a an offense.

martyna_22
July 31st, 2017, 06:30 AM
My mom does like my hair. My dad.. I honestly don't know.

saff.cel
July 31st, 2017, 07:22 AM
My mom had knee length hair up until I turned 19. Then she cut it all off to a pixie. I think after my fathers death, she was looking for a change to let go of her past self and move forward in life. But she will always be a long hair at heart and she knows exactly how I feel about my hair. But she does say the occasional joke comment like "You and your sister finally decide to grow your hair after I cut mine". She is also always the first one to comment on one of my new hairstyles.

I found this to be really touching, made me tear up a little. Thank you for sharing, MoonRabbit.

I didn't vote in the poll, because my mom doesn't have long hair to comment on at the moment, but I can tell you about the past for sure. When I was in fifth grade I quit cutting my hair, and by the time I cut it again in 10th grade, it was past the waist band on my jeans. I remember several times in sixth grade her threatening me that if she found one more bad tangle at the base of my neck, she was going to cut all my hair off. When I was in tenth grade, I cut my hair off to my ears, but by the time I was graduating, it was BSL again, and I was taking better care of it. She didn't like my bangs (she was right) saying I didn't actually have any, I was just cutting a very short awkward layer into my hair, and it was uneven on purpose too, ahahaha. The day before my graduation party, I cut my hair into a pixie cut. It was long again by the time I was 20, BSL again. My mother at this point told me that she didn't like long hair all in one layer down the back and that a pixie cut was the natural compliment to my face. This was probably what started the next ten years cutting it back to a pixie several times... the longest it ever got in the last ten years was about five inches below my shoulders for my wedding..... BUT I KIND OF GOT IT CUT INTO A BOB THE MORNING OF MY WEDDING IN THE HOTEL. So.... Yeah anyway, my mother decided to stop dying her grays back in 2014, this was the start of something of a secret hair obsession for her. About two years ago, she quit using shampoo after a few other hair experiments, and now at this point, she can go two weeks without CO washing her hair, and it looks absolutely beautiful. All the dye is out of her hair, it's silver, and wavy and down past her waist when stretched, but she wears it up all the time. She's really proud of her hair and doesn't get to talk about what she's doing to anyone, so this time when I told her I was going to grow my hair, she's been a lot more supportive giving me washing tips and helping me find old photos and putting up with me talking about all the things I'm learning here.... we'll see what she says when my hair is actually long, lord only knows, she doesn't pull any punches.

Cg
August 5th, 2017, 02:00 PM
Let me answer this now from the parent's/grandparent's perspective. I love the long hair of my DIL and her daughter! They get major encouragement from me.

iforgotmylogin
August 8th, 2017, 05:57 AM
Half a lifetime ago I got **** from both my oldies. Nowadays Mum says it looks good and Dad has given up complaining, except for when I have to set a good impression (employer, real estate, that kinda thing) and then it's back to lecturing

mira-chan
August 14th, 2017, 06:45 PM
Do your parents like your long hair? Do they compliment you on it? Do they like to play with your hair?

Or do they not like your long hair? Do they ask when you will be getting a haircut? Or tell you they don't like it long?

Mom is ok with it. She trims it for me but she's not one to comment on things or play with hair. Dad liked it, in part because his Mom had long hair and it looked similar to mine. He was happy to see me wear it similarly.

Alun
August 15th, 2017, 11:30 AM
My dad and granddad adore my hair. They say it is beautiful, shiny and soft, and very like my grandmother's in colour (I was never able to meet her). My dad treats me to a haircut a couple of times a year; there's a stylist I really love, who is very gentle and supportive of my desire for long hair and although she is an hour away by train he and I make a day of it - we meet up, he gets coffee and reads a paper while I'm in the salon then we go to a gallery or museum together, have lunch, etc.. My granddad always asks very worriedly, 'oh, you didn't cut it?!' every time he sees me and I have it tied back, including when I visited him in hospital right after he had just been through a heart attack... it makes me feel very special and very loved by them both.

My aunt is indifferent. She much prefers short hair on her girls, but it's because she thinks we have nice faces that long hair hides, so I don't mind! She means it lovingly, and she never comments or criticises because she knows that long hair is what I want. She said it was special once, and if I'm happy with it then she is. : )

My maternal grandmother had very long hair. She wore it in a braid wrapped around her head, and washed it only using rainwater that they collected in a barrel. My grandfather died very shortly after she did, a very long time ago now, back in the 1970s. I don't think he could face life without her.

gohan
August 15th, 2017, 03:35 PM
Nope, but they can't be surprised that I finally grew it out, so they really don't mention it much.

FuzzyBlackWaves
August 17th, 2017, 07:32 AM
My dad doesn't really care about my appearance. If I get a cut or colour he'll give the usual compliments but I don't think he's particularly bothered what my hair looks like.

Otempura
August 19th, 2017, 11:18 PM
My dad used to hate it when I dyed and cut my hair. He also hated it when my mother did it; I don't think my mom cares too much but I'm sure she likes it short. My father died in January of 2016 and he loved it long; now that it's short I find that he was right. I'll grow it out long because I like it and I know he always loved it that way.

shelly123
August 25th, 2017, 01:12 AM
My hairs not as long as some of y'all, but so far haven't heard any complaints. We'll see in a few years!

j floor hair
August 26th, 2017, 03:22 PM
yes they do and want it longer as do i

Astia
September 18th, 2017, 09:23 AM
my mum loves it and encouraged me to grow it even when I wanted to get it considerably shortened, for which I'm grateful. She also likes to pet it when it's down and remarks how long it's getting. She used to have about TBL in collage but my great-aunt (her father's sister) convinced her to get pixie cut and she has been maintaining it ever since, even though I tried to change her mind she won't budge, bc apparently while growing it would annoy the back of her neck and she can't stand that (yes, I told her about putting it up, didn't help).

my dad on the other hand kind of hates it/ignores it. When I was cca 5 he shaved both me&my brother for the summer to "make our hair grow stronger and thicker" (his mother always says I should be grateful for this, but I'm very doubtful it worked), and I have memories from that day as it kind of scarred me for life. Since I was allowed to I grew my hair long and to my liking (at least shoulder length) he reacts to every small complaint about it (e.g. tangles) with "Should I cut it?" or "I can just shave it off and you won't have to complain again" so I long stopped any conversation about the topic when he's around. Also after dyeing with henna for more than a year he finally noticed it he accused me of being ashamed of my heritage/ancestors and looking like a gypsy (in my country it's used like a curse, I have nothing against them) and remarked that "many people would kill to be a nice blondish white girl". Usually he's not so racist but this kind of pissed him off.

girlwithsixarms
September 24th, 2017, 08:31 AM
I don't know if they like it or not, but it's been long for so, well...long that I think they would probably be quite worried about me if I cut it to SL or above.

luvlonghair75
September 24th, 2017, 04:36 PM
My mom loves my hair. She actually thinks I grow it to please her! LOL My dad likes it, too. They find it much more attractive than my other sisters' shorter hair styles. I've always loved long hair. I don't grow it for them but for myself. I think if I were to even joke about cutting it, mom would freak out! Hmm... I'm gonna try that next time I see her! Just to be a stinker! :wigtongue

Salwety
September 24th, 2017, 11:01 PM
I don't know what my dad thinks about it. My mom has passed away but she would have liked it, I guess. My mother in law likes long hair, but she offers me a blow drier every time she sees my hair .... :patrol:

Hexen
September 26th, 2017, 04:50 AM
I struggled within the three choices I had. In the end....within like a few seconds..I had to choose "they dont like my hair".

But I do believe that I am at this point... (like 20 years later)...so called "established", in the way that I choose to appear. People just kind of expect me to look like this now, and know me for who I am. My parents during the 80's pretty much kept my hair within "mullet" territories as I lived under a rather strict regime..lol . But I did stretch that mullet dealio to its limits. My father to this day still does not prefer my hair. but never says a word about it anymore (im 43). My Mother actually does likes it now, but really only tells me when she thinks it looks messy.

Hexen
September 26th, 2017, 05:08 AM
I don't know what my dad thinks about it. My mom has passed away but she would have liked it, I guess. My mother in law likes long hair, but she offers me a blow drier every time she sees my hair .... :patrol:

I dont even care about my comment before. If it burdens ones heart in any way to have to consider the passing of a loved one...then I know that there are facets that completely surpass some things...

Love surpasses physicality. Hair is nothing.

Hexen
September 26th, 2017, 05:25 AM
https://preview.ibb.co/gJVOR5/exploding_hug_1.gif (https://imgbb.com/)

Salwety
September 26th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Hexen I am sorry to you or anyone if my comment made you uncomfortable. I was just stating facts. Nothing emotional except for the part that I get a little annoyed by my mother in law comments.

Hexen
September 26th, 2017, 03:14 PM
Hexen I am sorry to you or anyone if my comment made you uncomfortable. I was just stating facts. Nothing emotional except for the part that I get a little annoyed by my mother in law comments.

Oh no, it didnt make me uncomfortable. I think im just considering things like this much more these days, as I watch my own family, as well as myself, grow older and others pass on.

Shorty89
September 26th, 2017, 04:29 PM
I don't think I've posted in this thread before....but anyhow, my parents are fairly supportive, although when I'm at my parent's place, my dad does complain about my shed hairs being all over. :lol: My mom is probably more invested. She's always been interested in how long it could grow (longest I got was classic). Overall, I'd say they are pretty cool with it.

Beeboo123
October 5th, 2017, 02:02 AM
My mom is terribly envious of mine, especially because it grows so much faster than hers!

Andthetalltrees
October 5th, 2017, 05:18 PM
Mine don't really care. Sometimes I get a passing comment of "Are you going to cut your hair?" but it's never in a mean way. Sometimes I get compliments on it when I do something special but otherwise it's my thing and they leave me alone about it.

Glittervixen
October 5th, 2017, 05:49 PM
They're both like it. Dad always liked long hair and can be extremely picky when I do S&D when he's around: "Not too short! PUT THE SCISSORS DOWN." :P Mom used to be pro-short hair but has been growing her own hair since a few years.

OhSuzi
October 9th, 2017, 08:50 AM
My mum was originally delighted when I said - I'm growing my hair long!
Then I said I'll keep growing maybe to my thighs or just as long as it will go - at which point i received an exasperated eye roll!

WeirdCatEars
October 15th, 2017, 05:54 PM
Mother doesn't really care, my father doesn't like it one bit because it seems excessively long to him. Meh either way, though I'd love to have a penny for every time he's called me cousin itt :rolleyes:

Zebra
October 21st, 2017, 02:36 AM
When my hair was long we didn't really talk about it. I don't know. They think I am weird anyway. They have given up on me.

Isobibbel
October 21st, 2017, 03:14 AM
my mum likes my long hair and shows it by saying "oh I wish you wouldn't shave half of it off"

peachyleshy
December 6th, 2017, 09:06 PM
My mom likes me hair. She always compliments it. Though when I was growing it long when I was 18-20 and was super obsessed with it she sort of would discourage me from growing it out, saying it would just hang there... and I don't think my dad cares whether it is long or short.

RustyAl
December 9th, 2017, 09:18 AM
Well being a guy, when your parents ask you "When are you going to get a haircut" and you reply with "I want to grow out my hair", there is a response of "why?" and have a bit of confusion. Now my hair is around bottom of the shoulder blades/mid back, and they have kind of accepted it. But can sense they don't particularly like it this long. So my Dad was ok with it, my mom was has accepted it but always asks "how long do I plan to grow it". So guess they have accepted it, but wouldnt say they like it

Mega Moose
December 13th, 2017, 01:51 PM
They don't seem to care any way I do it. I've been able to do pretty much whatever to my hair since I hit my teens, and then when I went to college it was all just up to me. My mom thinks dry shampoo and stretching washes is weird, but I'm also an adult so she doesn't really get on my case about it. :)

darren
July 26th, 2018, 04:31 PM
My mom loves my hair. At some point I think she’ll decide it’s gotten too long but she tells me almost every time I’m home how much she likes it and always checks to see how long it’s getting. My dad is indifferent which is fine.

njrb
July 26th, 2018, 06:14 PM
Definitely not, but I'm too old for them to do anything about it. When they visit I always style it as simply as I can in a simple low bun or low ponytail just to keep comments and looks to a minimum though.

lithostoic
July 26th, 2018, 07:16 PM
Lately when family sees it, they enthusiastically say "it's getting long!" Positive feedback :)

Whoa, exactly one year ago I made this comment!

My parents both like my long hair. They always end up petting it when we hang out haha.

carrotop
July 31st, 2018, 01:08 PM
Not really. They don't mind it as much now that I started wearing it in a ponytail a lot and it is not in my face all the time.

Peppergirl
July 31st, 2018, 01:18 PM
I’m starting to grow it out now. They liked it when it was long.

Xlena
August 1st, 2018, 09:14 AM
My mom is obsessed with long hair so she loves and compliments my hair daily. When I cut it, she gets mad at me and literally yells ;)
I don't think my dad even cares :confused:

Joules
August 1st, 2018, 09:39 AM
My dad couldn't care less. My mom never says anything particularly horrible about it, but I guess she's not a fan. She often asks me why I wouldn't heat style it to make it look pretty.

sophia_
August 4th, 2018, 02:38 PM
My mother always forced me to cut my hair to my chin when I was young, when it started to get past my shoulders she would say "it's getting long!" and drag me to the hairdresser's. Now she tells me that my hair is "way too long to be practical" and that it looks "stringy," which is odd because I usually wear it up around her; I don't know how she would discern how "stringy" it is, lol.

elsiedeluxe
August 7th, 2018, 12:29 PM
I'm enjoying reading the comments ya'll are making about parents who recognize that your hair is your hair and they don't have a say. Especially the ones of you who say things like, "Now that I'm x years old, they don't have an opinion."

I wish mine would recognize some or any of this. They hate my hair long, and long is anything longer than a pixie. Also, they don't hold back with the comments, constantly telling me how great I looked with short hair, offering to make me an appointment with the hairdresser, etc. I expect to get zero positive feedback from them as it gets longer. And probably a lot of negativity. They're 80. I'm 50. I hope I treat my own children with more respect.

erica704
August 7th, 2018, 01:46 PM
My parents don't really like my longer hair. My mom has always cut my hair when I was little, and now she is constantly offering to give me a hair cut since my hair is longer. My hair has never been this long before. Growing up it was always around shoulder-length. My grandparents and boyfriend love it longer tho.

ravenskey
August 7th, 2018, 02:05 PM
Both of my parents like my hair as it is at the moment but while I think Dad would be fine with it at any length, Mum thinks that really long hair can look a bit bedraggled - as I am going to try and keep a blunt hemline I hope she'll still like it in future.

Ylva
August 7th, 2018, 03:29 PM
The only reason why my mom sort of dislikes my long hair is because I use so much water when I wash it. Especially this summer it has rained ridiculously little, so everyone's a bit on edge about there being enough water in the well. Also, we switched to using tanks for **** water in the house, so they get filled up faster the more water is used. But she doesn't give me mean comments or pressure me into cutting it or anything. She knows that I get annoyed by such comments.

cadaverinna
August 11th, 2018, 02:41 AM
My mom likes it for now at TBL, but she thinks past classical is too much, so we'll see

Gilgalads_Horse
August 11th, 2018, 02:11 PM
My parents didn't let me grow past BSL when I was a kid, but I'm out and married and can do what I want now :P We'll see. I think that because I already liked long skirts in a very rural, very jeans-and-tshirt-area, they were worried I would look too "weird" and get bullied.

Natalia_A00
August 14th, 2018, 08:43 PM
Even though my hair is only BSL (more or less) my mother hates it, she always tells me that my hair is too long and that I need to cut it. Everything is too long for her. Honestly, she gets annoying and repetitive with it, she says that all the time. But I'm not going to give up on my hair growth journey. My father doesn't care at all, but I think he wouldn't like my hair longer than BSL. He never complains about my personal choices though, he's a sweetheart!

saff.cel
August 19th, 2018, 06:08 PM
My mom thinks I was just born to have a pixie cut. Every time I see her she encourages me to cut off all my hair and dye it red. Ahahaha.

Crna Kosa
August 20th, 2018, 02:39 AM
I don't think they care very much . My mother thinks that my hair is too thin but that's just taper. She likes blunt hemline, but I don't and my hair simply isn't that way. I also like dark hair and she would like me to go blonde. I don't know why parents tend to force their opinions on their kids and can't accept than somebody likes something different and that they are not the only person who is right.

lapis_lazuli
August 20th, 2018, 04:29 AM
I think they've grown to like or at least tolerate it. Though they still feel compelled to alert me to its length when down on rare occasion :p

Lizabeth94
August 23rd, 2018, 09:09 PM
Both my mom and dad wish I would keep my hair short, and routinely say so. Both are concerned about its impact on my chronic migraines (which to be honest is a valid concern, and I have my own doubts about how long I will be able to grow it.) Actually now that I think about it most people in my life tell me I should keep it short, aside from my hubby who would like to see my hair somewhere between sl and bsl, but no longer. (I want at least waist.) I can't seem to please anybody with my goals. :justy:

ebillan
August 29th, 2018, 06:55 PM
I think my mum likes my hair! The only thing is that she usually asks me to trim the ends every time I see her. I do trim, but the ends never really look 'neat'. I've lightened my hair which I think has caused the ends to be pretty brittle. Hopefully it will grow out healthy!

sallyd
August 31st, 2018, 03:00 AM
Um, that would be a nope. Both my parents are no longer with us, but neither of them were ever especially supportive about long hair on me. My mother thought only short styles and hair dye were acceptable on mature ladies, and she massively disliked what she used to call my "rats' tails". I think she'd be horrified to see my current waist-length renegray mop! Sorry Mum....

My Dad didn't really express a view, but he was a more tolerant character, and I think he would have been fairly happy with any hair choices.

I've always tried to be supportive to our kids in the question of hair. My elder daughter had long pink hair for quite some time in her teens..... :)

Hexen
August 31st, 2018, 08:35 AM
No. They do not like my hair.
But they are my parents.
And they love me....and I love them.

Singing Skies
August 31st, 2018, 06:02 PM
My hair is a APL and my mom already thinks it’s long... but she says it’s thin and I don’t disagree. I’m working on it! I’m not sure about my dad though, he hasn’t really said anything about it.

DaughterOfDawn
September 13th, 2018, 07:31 PM
I'm sorry so many of you have had negative interactions with your parents regarding your hair! That must be hard!

My parents absolutely love my hair.
("the longer, the better" they say and they've also said "the bigger, the better" when trying to help me love my unpredictable texture)
They particularly love it when it is virgin and uncontained... Lucky for them, virgin has been my choice for many years and will continue to be!

I think they are still secretly bummed about the time I cut my hair when I was 4 years old... It has never been back down to tailbone since, though I have tried.

Oh well. I will try and try again :)

I'm very grateful that my parents (friends and family too) agree with my ideal of "the longer, the better" for me!

Xu
September 13th, 2018, 09:07 PM
They agree and disagree at the same time if that makes sense. On one hand it's a great display of good genetics in that department, on the other hand i should be more "modern" like other women my age and do something with it. Whatever that means.

shaluwm_agape
September 13th, 2018, 10:39 PM
They say they do but the longer it gets and when they actually realize that I am serious about growing my hair I doubt it

Katsura
September 14th, 2018, 12:31 AM
They liked my long hair when I was a kid, my mum did not like the idea when I wanted to cut it short in my teens. Now they give their thumbs up as I'm growing. We have a better relationship now, and they give their thumbs up for almost anything I do.

Margrit
September 20th, 2018, 01:11 PM
They like my hair

TarsusIV
September 21st, 2018, 08:40 PM
My parents like me to have long hair. They get upset if I talk about cutting it short again - I did it once, and they were not appreciative. Ah, well. It's not their hair.

Sweetalexandria
September 29th, 2018, 08:33 AM
I know at the end of the day, it's up to us but it's fun knowing what our parents opinions are, after all we have inherited genes from them! :).

My dad adores long hair and he said "don't you dare thinking of cutting it, grow it even longer, it's beautiful ". He does not like shirt hair. Even if I cut it a little bit, he notices.

My mum is the opposite, she encourages me to have shorter medium length hair and says it would better with my facial features.

cupcake_drgn
September 29th, 2018, 08:39 AM
I know at the end of the day, it's up to us but it's fun knowing what our parents opinions are, after all we have inherited genes from them! :).

My dad adores long hair and he said "don't you dare thinking of cutting it, grow it even longer, it's beautiful ". He does not like shirt hair. Even if I cut it a little bit, he notices.

My mum is the opposite, she encourages me to have shorter medium length hair and says it would better with my facial features.

when my hair was very long, my mother would encourage trying short hair. when I did chop my hair in college, my family was concerned and my father especially acted weird about it. so, i guess they prefer longer hair? I get mixed signals but i always do what i like with it (currently growing from shoulderlength to hopefully tbl)

paulownia
September 29th, 2018, 09:09 AM
Oh, don’t get me started on this one;)
I was raised by my mom and grandmother. All women in our family have always had short hair. I was receiving regular cuts during my entire childhood and teenage years.
I revolted at age 28 ( also got married and moved to another country for that matter- without asking any advice. I started to grow my hair.
I know perfectly well what they think. Long hair is messy, old-fashioned, takes too much time to care. Not worth the effort.
Plus, I’d always hear: “ you won’t look good with it, short hair suits you better”

Sora Rose
September 29th, 2018, 09:11 AM
My dad doesn't care as far as I can tell, though he is aware that I'm growing it out and sometimes encourages me if I bring it up. My mother has plainly stated once that it's my hair, and I can do whatever I want with it as far as she's concerned. If either of them dislike how it looks, they do not say so.

My brothers on the other hand... they all want me to grow it really long. My eldest brother suggested I grow them to knee length and none of them want me to cut it short. Ever.

Maybe it's because I'm the only person in my family with long hair.

Hairkay
September 29th, 2018, 09:20 AM
I think I have seen a thread on this topic already but it's been a while since it was up. I suppose my mother is fine with my hair. She has never complained about it. No one in the family ever said that it had to be long. Though our grandparents were not happy when my big sis cut her hair very short. Families friends did say I shouldn't cut my hair short. Once when my lil sis cut her hair family friends were shocked and asked her if our mother had seen her head. Her hair is currently tail bone length in locks. I did miss seeing that the time she cut it all off one hot summer so she could swim without any hassle but she re-grew it. We both get to talk about how we don't need scarves in winter because our hair keeps us cosy and warm.

Natalia_A00
September 29th, 2018, 09:42 AM
My mother doesn't like it very much, she says that really long hair is boring and makes me look shorter and fatter, it "doesn't say anything". Also she says that it's very old fashioned

Julescarm
September 29th, 2018, 11:26 AM
Both my parents likes my long hair. My dad would brush it for a long time with a BBB he owned for his hair when I was younger. His was short (marine) but he loved my longish hair. Right before he died I told him I had plans of growing to knee. He said that was a little long but he thought it would be ok (I have toddler). My mom who is still living enjoys my hair and compliments it. She trims it for me and does good. I had dyes it black a month ago which is fast fading and even she didn't notice the difference. She was rather sad I did that but said it was still in very good condition. My in laws love my hair.my father I law had a sister who kept beyond floor length hair which he loved. My mother in law had very long hair until she went into the military and had an autistic son who pulled her hair. My own son has caught on at age two that he doesn't want his own hair cut and has learned to let me brush it. My ten year old son enjoys my hair and remembered that I didn't want a blunt trim at the ends until knee length. My husband said I can grow it to beyond floor and he would love it.

ArabellaRose
September 29th, 2018, 11:42 AM
Both my parents love my hair, both the length and the colour. I don't think they liked it when it was short!