PDA

View Full Version : Which shade of red?

Neverremember
May 15th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I am on a pixie to long hair (waist seems about right for me) journey. I recently hit shoulder for real and I've been getting tired of my hair and itching for a change... so i thought I might as well henna or colour it red.

The problem is and always has been my skin tone. I am simply unable to figure it out. I am Greek, so logic says I am olive toned - which is affirmed by my brown eyes and hair. But if I am olive, I am a very fair olive.

I could really use your help and expertise in picking out a shade of red that would look good on me. I previously had golden blonde hair with a bit of a copper undertone and it looked good generally, although sometimes it made me look sallow. My lips are also extremely pale and I always have to wear lipstick to look alive.

This is me, with a fountain thingy on my face and purple lipstick: http://pasteboard.co/WNBWmpP.jpg

This is my favourite red, and the actress also has brown eyes and I think similar colouring (except the eyebrows): http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Jenna+Thiam+Trophees+Du+Film+Francais+20th+qW0T-cRWe9yl.jpg

Thoughts, ideas? I would love to henna it red but my hair is, at best, medium brown in sunlight. Dark brown indoors. It would just get darker I think.

lapushka
May 15th, 2016, 02:15 PM
I think you're going to have a hard time maintaining red with such a dark hair color - you'll have to bleach, even for henna to really show up. And... honestly? It's not worth it.

The second link doesn't function.

Neverremember
May 15th, 2016, 02:37 PM
I think you're going to have a hard time maintaining red with such a dark hair color - you'll have to bleach, even for henna to really show up. And... honestly? It's not worth it.

The second link doesn't function.

I agree with you about henna probably not showing, although the hair is actually a lot less dark than it looks in the picture. it just reflects light strangely sometimes. I thought it was a good picture to show the skin tone but not the hair colour.

Here is another pic: http://pasteboard.co/WStSkAs.jpg

Sorry about the link not working! It was a pic of Jenna Thiam.

Anje
May 15th, 2016, 02:56 PM
I'd suggest you strand-test some henna. It's not going to be as bright as Thiam's hair, but I think you'll see some red from it, especially in the sunlight. Give it about 3 days before you make any decisions on what it looks like, because it tends to start out orange and deepen over a few days.

The trouble with henna is that it doesn't wear off for the vast majority of people. The next time you're itching for a change, it's still going to be there, subtle but glowing in the sunlight, and when you try to bleach the hair, it's going to be more apparent that there's an additional orange pigment present that doesn't want to bleach.

Another thing to consider, if you're OK with subtle colors, is to get something of a "crazy" shade (pink, blue, etc.) that's one of those temporary, semi-permanent conditioner-like dyes. I think Directions is a common brand in the UK. It'll look different, but unlike henna it will eventually wash out, so you can do something else later when you're itching for another change.

A lot of us here are hesitant to suggest using dyes that lighten hair, because there's damage that goes with that. Not all of us are thrilled at the idea of the upkeep, either. :o However, bleaching the ends and then dyeing them a fun contrasting color is relatively low-commitment, and you don't end up with the choice to either live with it for years as it grows out or else sacrifice large amounts of length to be rid of it. You can show them off, or tuck your fun turquoise-and-purple ends into a bun when you don't want to shock your grandfather.

lapushka
May 15th, 2016, 02:59 PM
I'd suggest you strand-test some henna. It's not going to be as bright as Thiam's hair, but I think you'll see some red from it, especially in the sunlight. Give it about 3 days before you make any decisions on what it looks like, because it tends to start out orange and deepen over a few days.

The trouble with henna is that it doesn't wear off for the vast majority of people. The next time you're itching for a change, it's still going to be there, subtle but glowing in the sunlight, and when you try to bleach the hair, it's going to be more apparent that there's an additional orange pigment present that doesn't want to bleach.

Another thing to consider, if you're OK with subtle colors, is to get something of a "crazy" shade (pink, blue, etc.) that's one of those temporary, semi-permanent conditioner-like dyes. I think Directions is a common brand in the UK. It'll look different, but unlike henna it will eventually wash out, so you can do something else later when you're itching for another change.

A lot of us here are hesitant to suggest using dyes that lighten hair, because there's damage that goes with that. Not all of us are thrilled at the idea of the upkeep, either. :o However, bleaching the ends and then dyeing them a fun contrasting color is relatively low-commitment, and you don't end up with the choice to either live with it for years as it grows out or else sacrifice large amounts of length to be rid of it. You can show them off, or tuck your fun turquoise-and-purple ends into a bun when you don't want to shock your grandfather.

Totally agree, Anje!

And this just made me LOL for some reason. :lol:

spidermom
May 15th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Try one of the temporary red colors for fun; it will gradually wash out. As stated, henna probably won't, although it mostly did for me. I only did it once, and it took about a year for it to fade enough that you couldn't tell where my real color ended and the henna began, although one could always see that the ends were redder when I held ends up to the hair on top of my head.

Neverremember
May 15th, 2016, 03:10 PM
Uff, I really needed this sensible advice. I tend to get overly excited about changing my hair and then, boom, a year later I am staring off into the sunset regretting everything with a single tear rolling down my cheek or something.

I will either do something fun at the ends or try a semi-permanent coloring cream that is not too damaging. Thank you!!

sumidha
May 15th, 2016, 04:22 PM
I'd go for a cool toned dark burgundy type veggie dye. :)

lithostoic
May 15th, 2016, 06:51 PM
I think red would suit you very well.

Nadine <3
May 15th, 2016, 07:04 PM
Try manic panic vampire red! I started off doing just the tips in fun colors (ya know, no commitment if I hate it!) but the dye kept creeping further and further up! So now I have a whole head done in it. My hair was lighter than yours, but I got a dark burgundy red that flares fire engine red in the sun.

summergame
May 16th, 2016, 03:59 AM
I'd go for a cool toned dark burgundy type veggie dye. :)

Yes I was thinking exactly the same! Cool red tones would look good on you!

Amenahh
May 16th, 2016, 04:30 AM
I would go for a temporary dye as well, and cool toned. I think it would suit you better than the coppery shades.

MidnightMoon
May 16th, 2016, 08:01 AM
I have a similar colouring I believe and I would advice against coppery tones. I used to dye my hair that shade of red and it was a bit tricky...in natural light and bluish lights I tend to look more red and it matched the colour well, but in other lights I look a weird beige with brownish/purple eye circles and it looks weird with this colour. People did think it was natural but to me... it wasnt always the case. It made me feel uncomfortable knowing I might be looking too fake and too eager to look different and all with this colour and it not really suiting me. Ive noticed blue black looks better on me, specially with makeup. It suits my skin, never looks "off" or weird and is easier to maintain. Of course it also makes me look more exotic sometimes. I dont like this, as I favour my Russian roots, but theres other things I can play around with to work on my look that are easier to fix and change if needed. Im not suggesting you go black or anything but if youre looking for a change...maybe think of something totally different from what your original idea was, as it will still be a change, might end the urge to change something and suit you better.

MidnightMoon
May 16th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Also...it would help if you could upload more pictures...some good shots that might help would be..
Your face with no makeup in the sun
Your face with no makeup in natural light but not direct sun (like standing next to a window)
Your face in fluorescent light
You arms, neck and back in these different lights (as sometimes skin on our neck for example looks different from our face. In my case my face gets red but my neck is a yellowish pale colour that sometimes looks tan.)
You in winter vs you during summer
Hands, arms...

Its just suggestions but you shouldnt ask for advice by supplying one single photo with just one type of light. Usually our chest is paler than the rest of our body and doesnt help determine the overall look of the person.

Try looking for other photos, not the ones where you look your best but the ones truer to your everyday look, too.
I hope this helps you decide ^^?

Neverremember
May 16th, 2016, 09:03 AM
Okaaaay, let's see.

Indoors with camera flash looking olive and very dark hair: http://pasteboard.co/Y2sejX7.jpg
Indoors natural light looking less olive, no foundation: http://pasteboard.co/Y2yTlem.jpg
Outdoors soft pre-sunset glow on hair, terrible hair day: http://pasteboard.co/Y2Cm1cf.jpg
Same day, had to crop out troll face sorry: http://pasteboard.co/Y2H8BHA.jpg

Old pic from the good old days, hair was highlighted with very wispy highlights a few times: http://pasteboard.co/Y2UY9Pp.jpg
I regretfully chopped that off. It wasn't even styled! That is how it air dried. :'(

As you can see I am lightly tan in some lighting and pale green or colourless in other lighting and my hair is dark brown indoors and medium brown outdoors.

So most people are suggesting burgundy but my hair has always tended to go towards copper when exposed to the sun etc. I am truly and utterly confused and I'm thinking I may just do chicken out and do nothing.

Mademoiselle
May 16th, 2016, 09:16 AM
I like your natural color =) but if you are sure whit the change, do it.

Neverremember
May 16th, 2016, 09:21 AM
I like your natural color =) but if you are sure whit the change, do it.

Thank you. I love your patient, meditating dog. I am not sure about the change at all, which is why I'm going for semi-permanent as suggested although I haven't decided on the shade yet.

MidnightMoon
May 16th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Alright, I think I have a better idea now. I dont think a copper shade would look bad, and your features help too (long face, thin looking). Im a bit unsure about your eyes, but it might be the eyebrows. Id make sure it stays an intense colour, and not let it fade to a light orange/yellow blonde. I do think however it will look off in some lights, like yellow ones so you might want to adjust your makeup to counteract this.
I didnt like the blonde on you, though :P.
Also, have you considered having it long, dark, with some streaks of unnatural colour, like green or red or blue? I dont know if its doable for you but it might be a subtle change and an easier fix for your desire of change. Blue and green also wouldnt look off with your colouring.

MidnightMoon
May 16th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Oh... and I wouldnt suggest burgundy. I dont really know how it would help as in my case it made me look greener :/ I only like burgundy on reeeeally white pale people or people who tan red instead of yellow/olive/green.

pastina
May 16th, 2016, 09:56 AM
....Do you ever wear red lipstick? If so, are they orangey-tomato reds or bluer raspberry-type reds?

MidnightMoon
May 16th, 2016, 10:01 AM
Pastina I am again confused xD. My sister is always wearing orange, orange-red and pure red lipstick and dressed in all colours while I only wear deep red and blueish red lipsticks. She tans and doesnt avoid the sun while I do, bur were still technically the same "type" or base shade.

pastina
May 16th, 2016, 10:11 AM
Do you have the same color eyes and hair, Midnightmoon? My sister and I have very looking similar skin tone, but she burns in sun and I tan (although I prefer to just stay out of the sun altogether), and her eyes are grey-blue while mine are deeper green. I can really wear whatever color but she needs to be more picky.

MidnightMoon
May 16th, 2016, 10:26 AM
Hmmm well, when young she used to have veeeery black hair. She was born with tons of wavy black hair while I was born bald xD. Later on, she was the one with black hair even through her teens while mine was a warm medium brown. For some reason her is now brown. Dark, but certainly not black while mine is darker and wavier. Hers is almost stick straight. Too much talk, Im sorry :P.
Her eyes in my opinion a liiiittle bit lighter, like a medium light brown. Mine are darker with some brown olive colour and have a dark circle around the iris.
We do have different features. Her nose is wider, her face rounder and eyes set deeper. I have fuller lips and pale while hers are peachy, thin nose, and have skin above my eyes...I dont really know how to call that lol. Also for some reason I have what I call a natural eyeliner lol. Its this rusty colour around my eyes, specially at the outer corner, like some cats eyes but not pretty. She just has eye circles but not this weirdly pigmented skin. Ah, I also have many moles and she has very few.

MidnightMoon
May 16th, 2016, 10:28 AM
I must say however that she wears this colours because its her preference. I often saw her wearing not the most flattering colours just because she fancies. She likes tanning, recently had highlights/balayage done, while I prefer dark clothes and what one would define as a gothic style. I do think she wears too bright colours xD

Neverremember
June 8th, 2016, 03:12 AM
Hi all,

I thought I should update this one last time to let you know how my hair experiment went. I am so, so, so glad I followed your advice to try a semi-permanent dye first. I tried one of those henna cream glosses that are supposed to wash off after 5-6 washes. I mixed a tiny bit of copper with auburn. It turned out quite natural, especially after I gave in and decided to slightly pluck my eyebrows into submission, my eyebrows being darker than my hair and all. My boyfriend noticed and liked it.

I hated it with the burning passion of a supernova explosion. There was nothing particularly wrong with it, I just despised it. It has now mostly quieted down and you can only see it around the temples where the hair thinner and lighter. Another couple of washes and I'll be free. I am sure there is a red for me, but I think it's just not worth the hassle trying to find it right now. I got it out of my system. Back to growing natural it is!

Thank you so much for pointing out the obvious (don't go permanent yet, duh!) and saving me some heartache.