PDA

View Full Version : Funny situations and discrepancies between you and non LHC people

Mimha
May 15th, 2016, 06:36 AM
Hello hair crazy comrades.

I sometimes realize that what we talk about in here as very serious matters and issues can sometimes be considered as totally crazy / weird / non sensical, and even creepy to some non initiated random people. And I have an interior smile when I imagine situations such as
- trying to explain that you haven't washed your head since 2 weeks (oh my yuckness !!)
- trying to explain that the omelette or mayonnaise you prepare is for your hair ^^^^
- asking someone in the street to take a picture of you... but from the back, ha ha ha ha !
- get caught red-handed when S&Ding (you cut your hair one by one :bigeyes: ???)
- having your hairtoys full collection (million Ficcare, TTs, etc.) / hair products (full wardrobe of bottles or hair dedicated fridge) / hair tools (10 pairs of scissors, 20 combs and hairbrushes...) discovered... oh la la !

Personally, the weirdest thing I have ever done was counting my shed hairs during one full year in order to evaluate my hair mass turn-over and shedding pattern (seasonal shedding periods versus normal time). Lol. When I explained this to my family, I got a blank stare from my sister :bigeyes: She was clearly hesitating between thinking that I was more struck than she thought, and wondering when I would stop asking myself the weirdest questions all the time. :crazyq: And my brother in law who was enthusiastic and started to make plenty of calculations and scenarii to evaluate how many hair one has on his head. :silly:

Another thing that I would prefer the people to remain ignorant from is my S&Ding^^. I had always done it, far before I knew about LHC, and I though I had some dirty compulsive behaviour such as biting my nails or something :couch:. When I read on LHC that it was actually considered A SERIOUS TECHNIQUE, I laughed my head off and felt such relief ! :laugh: But hey, I would prefer random people not to know anyway^^^^^^^

So if you have experienced funny crazy situations where people would stare at you in amazement or situations that you cannot imagine to have to explain to people just because it would need days of explanation (or a total change of hair values to fully grasp the philosophy behind it), share them here ! :D :D

TatsuOni
May 15th, 2016, 06:58 AM
A few days ago I was doing some shopping with a friend. She isn't a member here, but just as crazy:guns: When she bought some hair dye, the cashier tried to sell her a lot of other products. My friend told her that she doesn't use such things. After we got out of the store I began to laugh and sked my friend "wonder what she would have said if you've told her that you haven't even washed your hair for over two weeks":lol:

I wash my hair every other week, sometimes less. There's only a few people I willingly tell that...

When my hair is getting a little greasy it doesn't show since I wear it up. I've gotten many compliments during theese days. People usually tell me how beautiful and shiny it is today. I wonder how they would react if I would say "Thanks! I haven't washed it for fifteen days!"

Frankenstein
May 15th, 2016, 07:51 AM
This happens to me often. Especially with my father. He's constantly saying "Why do you wear that bonnet all the time?". For some reason he thinks I wear it because it will make my hair straighter. Also, recently he needed the olive oil to cook dinner and he was dumbfounded as to why I'd put it in the bathroom to use on my hair.
I also saw a friend the other day while wearing my new hair stick. He was like "Uhh why is there a stick coming out of your hairdo"
I've found that most of the people I know find my hair habits a bit puzzling. I've given up trying to explain myself :lol: They pretty much just accept that it's my hair and my business.

EdG
May 15th, 2016, 08:10 AM
"LHC ways of wearing hair are so distinctive!" said a LHC'er many years ago.

I think of these words whenever I am in a public place, such as the supermarket, and people look at me as though I were from a different planet. :lol:
Ed

blue_eyes
May 15th, 2016, 08:13 AM
I relate to the S&Ding. I also did it before I found LHC! "A split end? Let me just snip that off!" hahaha. Once I found LHC I began doing it more frequently and seizing moments where the lighting is just fantastic. Usually it's in the car or kitchen. I hate the idea of anyone seeing me do it, so most of the time it feels like a covert operation. Alone in the car for 2 minutes? Let me whip out those scissors!
I could just explain what I'm doing I suppose, but I feel like nobody outside of LHC would really get it.

Mademoiselle
May 15th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Last summer I went to the beach with my boyfriend, is a place where the water is very hard so we bought bottles of water to drink, then I took 3 bottles more to wash my hair, my boyfriend thought it was a joke, but not it was, I buy them for my hair and he told me how I could do that! hahaha He must know that he was seriously :silly: he thought I threw the money to buy that water for my hair :rolleyes::silly:

Nadine <3
May 15th, 2016, 08:57 AM
I don't get this much anymore. I got it a lot when I was washing my hair with eggs though haha

These days I mostly get comments on the colors in my hair, but they are never shocked by it or anything. I'm only 23, so wild colors are considered normal in my age group I believe. My mom though...she got so many funny looks when she dyed hers blue for fun. She's got curly salt and pepper hair (and in a world where greys are seen as "bad" and always covered up, that's was weird enough!) Then she added some streaks of blue and everyone thought she went mental lol

lapushka
May 15th, 2016, 09:06 AM
I don't get this much anymore. I got it a lot when I was washing my hair with eggs though haha

These days I mostly get comments on the colors in my hair, but they are never shocked by it or anything. I'm only 23, so wild colors are considered normal in my age group I believe. My mom though...she got so many funny looks when she dyed hers blue for fun. She's got curly salt and pepper hair (and in a world where greys are seen as "bad" and always covered up, that's was weird enough!) Then she added some streaks of blue and everyone thought she went mental lol

Why do I think of those older ladies with the perms and pink hair, for some reason? Nah, just kidding. But it's not uncommon to dye gray in all sorts of colors.

spidermom
May 15th, 2016, 09:06 AM
I'm pretty mainstream with my hair care. I wash every 3-5 days and prefer over-the-counter deep conditioning treatments to kitchen concoctions. The only things not mainstream is massaging coconut oil through my hair before I braid it the night before I plan to wash and diluting my shampoo. Oh, and I do a little S&D in good light, mostly in the car by myself. For some reason, it drives my husband mental to see me do it.

Adorkable One
May 15th, 2016, 09:11 AM
I am a dirty liar! Lol, I always lie to normal hair people about how often I was my hair. I try to be vague and say, "I don't wash my hair everyday." If they get specific, I say "every other day" because I feel that's been socially accepted. In reality, it's more like once a week...and never with shampoo. It's just easier than giving them a mini hair lesson.

I think the weirdest questions I get are about color. When I had blue hair, I'd get asked, "How did you get your hair blue?" I never really knew how to answer that other than saying "with blue hair dye" which always sounds so dismissive. But what other kind of answer is there?!?!

My mom made sure to make fun of me for the bonnet I wear to bed. Lol, part of me dreads what any future boyfriends will think about that "attractive" hair bonnet.

dancingfrog
May 15th, 2016, 09:25 AM
Recently I went on a Caribbean cruise with 7 other women. I stunned them with how fast I could get my hair put up and formal dinner-ready. (Much faster than those who needed to blow dry and straighten!) They did think my wash/dry routine was nuts, though. "Oh I could never spend that kind of time ... This from the dryers/straighteners shudder:

I dragged two of the more easygoing ladies through a beauty store in Barbados, after my hair got very angry about whatever water we shower in on a cruise ship. Desalinated, I am guessing? Anyway, hair and I got along much better after I lightly "oiled" the length with a thick gel that contains argan oil.

LongCurlyTress
May 15th, 2016, 09:30 AM
First of all, Mimha, your hair in your avatar pic is just gorgeous and getting so long! What a thick hemline!!

OK...funny situations... My son and his gf (x now....:( were visiting and I was looking at long haired pinterest pics... I found one that looked just like her hair... long and platinum-beach blonde - hip length and I showed her and she had this quizzical look on her face like, oh wow... this lady is so strange.... why is this woman "checking out" long haired ladies? I was embarassed as I realized it was a mistake to let her into my "long hair passion" world...

She did reassure me that she never used a hairdryer or straightener which I blurted out many oohs and aahs that she had such pretty hair naturally...still wondering about that platinum Swedish hair color though, although she denied dying/bleaching it... :) She was probably too afraid to tell me she bleached it!! haha...

I was showing a general contractor house pictures for how I would like our garage to be rebuilt and I must have saved some long hair photos of myself in my "house" folder.... that was also embarassing when he saw these pics...

My son's face when he visits and I let down my hair all excitedly to show him my new length, or how much my hair has grown... he just is polite but I know in his head he is thinking that his mom is "losing it."

Great topic Mimha!!

And, fyi, I try so hard to count shed hairs, but they all clump together in the shower so I have a tough time doing this....lol... haha.. that is pretty cool that you are able to do this!! :):cheer:

spidermom
May 15th, 2016, 09:38 AM
LHCer for many years, but even I think counting shed hairs is "mental". Haha; I mean that in the nicest possible way. There's nothing in the world that would motivate me to count my shed hairs.

LadyCelestina
May 15th, 2016, 10:09 AM
:D Generally I don't tell people how much conditioner I use, and am already just peacefully accepting the weird stares when I go to the drugstore to buy conditioner and nothing else every week.

blue_eyes
May 15th, 2016, 10:13 AM
I think the weirdest questions I get are about color. When I had blue hair, I'd get asked, "How did you get your hair blue?" I never really knew how to answer that other than saying "with blue hair dye" which always sounds so dismissive. But what other kind of answer is there?!?!

I hate these questions, haha! Just like "how did you get your hair so long?" ...I didn't cut it? It seems so obvious, but then people act somewhat offended when you offer that kind of answer. :shrug:
Any change in hair color is the result of coloring (be it dye, henna, etc.) or bleaching, so I don't understand what kind of answer people expect when they ask how you got that color. "Well first I collected tears of the Were-rabbit, and then I mixed them with an elderberry concoction and unicorn blood. I add in sapphire dust at the end to give it a rich blue color, then let it sit on my head for 18 hours." hahaha. I guess it's just human nature to inquire about things that catch your attention, but the answer never seems satisfactory in this case.

Mimha
May 15th, 2016, 10:15 AM
LHCer for many years, but even I think counting shed hairs is "mental". Haha; I mean that in the nicest possible way. There's nothing in the world that would motivate me to count my shed hairs.

Ha ha ha ha ! I assume I am actually mental, somehow^^ (all scientists/artists are, I guess^^). The good thing is that my "mentalness" can be accepted in here as part of the "personal weird sides" of any LHC members. Personally, I could never imagine to dye my hair crazy colors (or any color, by the way), or get dreads, for example. But if some people like it or want to experiment on themselves, it's their own head of hair and their own sense of aesthetics. I'm always curious to know what they like in it, what are their motivation to "take the plunge" (buzz cutting, dying, dreading, etc.), and I discover new ways of thinking. That's what makes experimenting and sharing so interesting ! :)

... Oh and I have shed 18'000 hairs in 2015 (rounded up figures, considering a 5% error margin), ha ha ha ha ! I don't even know myself how I did not give up counting one week after I started !!! :lol: :lol:

Sarahlabyrinth
May 15th, 2016, 02:42 PM
What a great thread! ;)

I was boarding with my sister and her husband for several months some years ago after my marriage ended. She couldn't believe it when she saw me putting oil in my hair one day and couldn't understand why even after I explained it all very carefully.... The next day she saw me taking a banana from the fruit bowl and said "I suppose you're going to put THAT in your hair", to which I answered, "No, I'm going to eat it, it is better for the health of my hair for it to work from the inside". She made me comb my hair outside (complained at my shedding) and when she saw my sleeping cap she laughed so hard she nearly fell over, for about five minutes. When her husband caught a glimpse of my sleeping cap as well, he laughed too and told me that no man would ever want me if I went to bed wearing THAT.

How wrong he was :)

Mimha
May 15th, 2016, 05:52 PM
First of all, Mimha, your hair in your avatar pic is just gorgeous and getting so long! What a thick hemline!!

(...)

And, fyi, I try so hard to count shed hairs, but they all clump together in the shower so I have a tough time doing this....lol... haha.. that is pretty cool that you are able to do this!! :):cheer:

Hi LongCurlyTress ! :) :) Thank you for the compliment ! In fact my hair looks longer on this pic because I was bending my head backward to gather it into a high ponytail. (The picture is extracted from a video sequence). That's why it looks longer than my actual waist+ length.

And concerning my shed hair counting, I made it a rule to detangle over the washing basin so as to be able to collect what would not get caught in my brush or comb. And when I wash my hair, I first detangle it thoroughly (always over the washing basin), and then I wash under the shower by gently massaging my scalp only. So I hardly lose any hair in the tub. Then I gently press the water out with my hands and put a towel around my head during the few necessary minutes to clean the shower, and I detangle my damp hair with a wide tooth comb over the washing basin again. (I turn my back to the w.b. and comb my hair over the basin, so all shed hairs can fall in it). It actually works fine as I don't find many hairs on the floor and I have never had any vacuum cleaner problem or pipe clogging like so many people here are complaining about. (I HATE shed hairs on the floor because I am so much barefoot at home and it grosses me out to have them caught in my toes ! :run:) So you see, my counting is like that much easier than if I had to extract balls of tangled hair from the pipe, lol. :wink:

Wusel
May 15th, 2016, 06:11 PM
I go to the bathroom with my phone to wash my hair.
Because I have a stopwatch on it.
And I leave the Pura D'Or shampoo for exactly 5 minutes on my head so that the DHT-blockers can penetrate my scalp well to stop the shedding.
So, I need a stopwatch.

Wusel
May 15th, 2016, 06:17 PM
And concerning my shed hair counting, I made it a rule to detangle over the washing basin so as to be able to collect what would not get caught in my brush or comb. And when I wash my hair, I first detangle it thoroughly (always over the washing basin), and then I wash under the shower by gently massaging my scalp only. So I hardly lose any hair in the tub. Then I gently press the water out with my hands and put a towel around my head during the few necessary minutes to clean the shower, and I detangle my damp hair with a wide tooth comb over the washing basin again. (I turn my back to the w.b. and comb my hair over the basin, so all shed hairs can fall in it). It actually works fine as I don't find many hairs on the floor and I have never had any vacuum cleaner problem or pipe clogging like so many people here are complaining about. (I HATE shed hairs on the floor because I am so much barefoot at home and it grosses me out to have them caught in my toes ! :run:) So you see, my counting is like that much easier than if I had to extract balls of tangled hair from the pipe, lol. :wink:

I did exactly the same when I had my last shed. But I've stopped counting now because the shedding stopped and I don't feel the need to count... It's always about 20-30 hairs and I can see this without counting.

Mimha
May 15th, 2016, 06:17 PM
What a great thread! ;)

I was boarding with my sister and her husband for several months some years ago after my marriage ended. She couldn't believe it when she saw me putting oil in my hair one day and couldn't understand why even after I explained it all very carefully.... The next day she saw me taking a banana from the fruit bowl and said "I suppose you're going to put THAT in your hair", to which I answered, "No, I'm going to eat it, it is better for the health of my hair for it to work from the inside". She made me comb my hair outside (complained at my shedding) and when she saw my sleeping cap she laughed so hard she nearly fell over, for about five minutes. When her husband caught a glimpse of my sleeping cap as well, he laughed too and told me that no man would ever want me if I went to bed wearing THAT.

I find your sister kind of rude with you... don't you feel so ? I mean... I would feel like a dog being thrown outside to comb my hair ! :( I'm always careful not to comb or brush all over the place at home, so I'm even more careful at somebody else's place. Actually I am more likely to be grossed out myself by people's cats and dogs shedding everywhere in their home, ha ha ha ha !

spidermom
May 15th, 2016, 06:59 PM
I find your sister kind of rude with you... don't you feel so ? I mean... I would feel like a dog being thrown outside to comb my hair ! :( I'm always careful not to comb or brush all over the place at home, so I'm even more careful at somebody else's place. Actually I am more likely to be grossed out myself by people's cats and dogs shedding everywhere in their home, ha ha ha ha !

Exactly. A former friend made of point of telling me that it skeeved her out to find other people's shed hair stuck to her furniture, so I played it safe and never went over there again.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 15th, 2016, 07:00 PM

Yes, she quite often is - and can be quick tempered and so easily gets angry. She thinks because I am 20 years younger than her I obviously don't know anything, about anything. If I have an opinion different to hers she gets mad at me. Sigh. Yet she is so often the one talking nonsense. For example yesterday she was worrying that my stray cat might have kittens in the area. I explained that "he" is a neutered male, and that he cannot have kittens. But she insisted"but he could have kittens there" and wouldn't listen to me. Finally I had to say really firmly down the phone that he was a MALE cat, not only that, but a NEUTERED MALE CAT and they DO NOT EVER HAVE KITTENS. And she still wasn't convinced. Because she always has to be right - because she is the eldest and she knows more than the rest of us and our opinions don't count :rolleyes:

And I always used to clean up my shed hairs myself when I was staying there, I wouldn't dream of letting someone else do it.

Anya15
May 15th, 2016, 09:07 PM
Whenever I s&d, my roommate looks at me like I've lost my mind.

My friends can't understand how I oil my hair daily/alternate days. I try to explain that I oil just enough to keep my ends (sometimes the length, depends on the weather) happy. But they never seem to understand! To them, any oil is meant to be washed out.

They also don't understand how I have the time to do a French braid/Dutch braid in the morning. It takes me all of five minutes :p

Horrorpops
May 16th, 2016, 05:01 AM
OMG one friend gives me so much crap ever since I mentioned I don't wash my hair every night! She was like "what you don't shower daily?" Girl puhhh-lease! Of course I shower I just don't wet my hair :laugh:

Also some weird looks in the grocery store when I was reading the labels on coconut oil and honey when my boyfriend exclaimed "it's only going on your hair anyway!!" That got some curious looks from passers by. :bigtongue:

Hahaha wow Sarahlabyrinth!! That's crazy! What else are sisters for though hey? Loved the story about the 'pregnant' castrated male cat haha!!

Mimha
May 16th, 2016, 05:23 AM
(...)
My friends can't understand how I oil my hair daily/alternate days. I try to explain that I oil just enough to keep my ends (sometimes the length, depends on the weather) happy. But they never seem to understand! To them, any oil is meant to be washed out.

I thought India was a country with one of the oldest and most active hair oiling tradition. Is it possible that the new generation has totally forgotten all this ancient precious knowledge ? Your friends do not have a mom or a grand-ma' still practicing traditional hair oiling, or seen it on the television in some historical movie ?? Lol. I'm so often amazed how quickly people can forget things. In one or two generations, so many precious knowledge just sink into oblivion... :(

Horrorpops
May 16th, 2016, 05:32 AM
I'm so often amazed how quickly people can forget things. In one or two generations, so many precious knowledge just sink into oblivion... :(

At least oiling will be preserved by the LHC! :o

Anya15
May 16th, 2016, 05:54 AM
I thought India was a country with one of the oldest and most active hair oiling tradition. Is it possible that the new generation has totally forgotten all this ancient precious knowledge ? Your friends do not have a mom or a grand-ma' still practicing traditional hair oiling, or seen it on the television in some historical movie ?? Lol. I'm so often amazed how quickly people can forget things. In one or two generations, so many precious knowledge just sink into oblivion... :(

Yes, it's true. Most mothers and grandmothers are adept at hair oiling and hair care in general! But among people in my generation, hair oiling is gross unless it's a pre poo treatment...

At least oiling will be preserved by the LHC! :o

It sure will! :p

browneyedsusan
May 16th, 2016, 06:49 AM
After a rock climbing class, I complimented another woman's hairstyle. She'd come to class after work, and had her hair french rope braided on the sides and pinned up in back. It looked super classy--not something that usually comes in to the climbing gym! That led to a hair discussion with other female classmates. About half of us sleep with our hair up or braided. The other half thought it was very strange behavior.

I realized that I'd learned about sleep styles here! It makes perfect sense, but I don't think I would have thought to do it by myself, and my family is shorthairs. If it wasn't for TLHC, I wouldn't know to put my hair up for bed.

Thanks, TLHC! :flowers:

Gaalsong
May 16th, 2016, 07:36 AM
I am trying to stay away from hair conversations with other people in person because they become awkward so quickly. It's hard to explain one facet of my routine without going into the history of how I started doing it, all the other things I tried before that, what the results were, etc. I usually kind of end up mumbling and blushing and changing the subject. Because I meant to say one thing and end up telling a story involving years of experiments (no poo? water only? rye flour? sebum only? eggs? no trimming? regular trims? no heat?) and realizing that the audience didn't really want all of this info, and if they are interested it's in a "wow, this girl is really weird" way. :oops:

pili
May 16th, 2016, 08:13 AM
I live in granola crunchy Northern California. I'm a recent transplant, and this is the only place I have lived where not washing your hair daily is seen as acceptable.

LongCurlyTress
May 16th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Hi LongCurlyTress ! :) :) Thank you for the compliment ! In fact my hair looks longer on this pic because I was bending my head backward to gather it into a high ponytail. (The picture is extracted from a video sequence). That's why it looks longer than my actual waist+ length.

LOL! Sounds like you have this hair counting system down perfectly!!

I don't count my hairs at all, I just stick the wet ones that fall out during shower detangling (with conditioner and my comb ...) to the shower wall and then throw them away after my shower using some paper to swipe and take them off the shower wall. Not going to deal with any drain shedding. That would be, pretty gross! LOL! :crazyq::puke:

lapis_lazuli
May 16th, 2016, 10:49 AM
"trying to explain that you haven't washed your head since 2 weeks" Oh my gosh, I can never explain it so I just keep my mouth shut :p In my experience, people get disgusted knowing I haven't washed my hair for more than 2 days! I would never bring it up now and if they asked, I would simply lie. It's not anyone else's business anyway :wigtongue

Mya
May 16th, 2016, 01:35 PM
What a great thread! ;)

I'll never understand people (even less if they are men) who fail to get that a woman simply is... human? I was stunned hearing a few guys say how they were disgusted at finding body hair on girls. Like they were totally oblivious that humans aren't created from fashion magazines, make-up and Photoshop and, yes, they have body hair, saggy fat, they sweat, they wear unfashionable clothes. How you can change the way you relate to a person based on such trifles, I don't know. Why should A CAP turn me off A PERSON? Are you in love with your woman or with her wardrobe? Or with her beauty salon? You stop loving your parents because they get old and wrinkly and don't always wear Chanel?

I said "even less if they are men" because if a man had to be judged with similar standards of fashion and glamour, you'd have to tell him he's the most disgusting, vomit-inducing creature that ever walked on Earth. Men should have the most interest in rejecting demands regarding other people's body. A male supporting those trivialities sounds particularly ridiculous.

AmberJewel
May 16th, 2016, 01:55 PM
People often seem to have unrealistic expectations of beauty for younger women. I've actually never had a man express any disgust over such things... it's usually other women. Like one time when we were swimming at the beach and my mom realized I hadn't shaved my legs recently. "No man wants to sleep with a hairy woman!", was her comment. :taz: Ironic since I'm pretty focused on growing my hair LONGER. :laugh:

Mya
May 16th, 2016, 02:01 PM
People often seem to have unrealistic expectations of beauty for younger women. I've actually never had a man express any disgust over such things... it's usually other women. Like one time when we were swimming at the beach and my mom realized I hadn't shaved my legs recently. "No man wants to sleep with a hairy woman!", was her comment. :taz: Ironic since I'm pretty focused on growing my hair LONGER. :laugh:

"Erm... Mom, could you please keep your interest in my sex life to yourself?" :rolling:

Cg
May 16th, 2016, 03:22 PM
I'll never understand people (even less if they are men) who fail to get that a woman simply is... human? I was stunned hearing a few guys say how they were disgusted at finding body hair on girls. Like they were totally oblivious that humans aren't created from fashion magazines, make-up and Photoshop and, yes, they have body hair, saggy fat, they sweat, they wear unfashionable clothes. How you can change the way you relate to a person based on such trifles, I don't know. Why should A CAP turn me off A PERSON? Are you in love with your woman or with her wardrobe? Or with her beauty salon? You stop loving your parents because they get old and wrinkly and don't always wear Chanel?

I said "even less if they are men" because if a man had to be judged with similar standards of fashion and glamour, you'd have to tell him he's the most disgusting, vomit-inducing creature that ever walked on Earth. Men should have the most interest in rejecting demands regarding other people's body. A male supporting those trivialities sounds particularly ridiculous.

Endless applause!

AmberJewel
May 16th, 2016, 07:00 PM
"Erm... Mom, could you please keep your interest in my sex life to yourself?" :rolling:

Especially when I have friends present!

Qz
May 16th, 2016, 08:31 PM
:D Generally I don't tell people how much conditioner I use, and am already just peacefully accepting the weird stares when I go to the drugstore to buy conditioner and nothing else every week.

That made me think about my DH who is mostly bald, but he uses at least twice the hair products I do in the shower. I never have understood that, because I use quite a bit myself and I have a lot of hair.

Qz
May 16th, 2016, 08:43 PM

Oh my gosh, and then there's this...

Have you ever noticed that even old scrawny men or ones with big bellies and bald heads seem to think they're handsome as all get out and that all the pretty women should think so too, while we women are way too worried about every detail of how we look, thinking we're awful when we're actually looking pretty well...

Lavendersugar
May 16th, 2016, 09:29 PM
I typically avoid hair talk. Mostly because everyone thinks I'm hair crazy. Funny because most of them destroy their hair. I have one friend that has long hair but bleaches it then complains it is damaged. Refuses to use anything but salon brands. I told her about SMT and she refuses to try it because it seems weird. But she puts mayo on her hair...

My husband found my stash. I go through phases of using cones to not using cones. It's cheaper to just keep it all since I know I do this. He never goes into the spare bathroom. I don't recall why but when I was in the scooping litter he came in and opened the cabinet. His jaw dropped! I told him not to open the drawers. It's funny he's usually with me when I buy stuff. Did he think I used bottles in a day?

Everything I do seems to be too hard for others. Using a horn comb, this alone apparently is work for others. I guess the actually buying it online is work. :confused:
Air drying seems to an outrageous idea. How could I not style my hair? I insist hippie hair is a style.

Yes, she quite often is - and can be quick tempered and so easily gets angry. She thinks because I am 20 years younger than her I obviously don't know anything, about anything. If I have an opinion different to hers she gets mad at me. Sigh. Yet she is so often the one talking nonsense. For example yesterday she was worrying that my stray cat might have kittens in the area. I explained that "he" is a neutered male, and that he cannot have kittens. But she insisted"but he could have kittens there" and wouldn't listen to me. Finally I had to say really firmly down the phone that he was a MALE cat, not only that, but a NEUTERED MALE CAT and they DO NOT EVER HAVE KITTENS. And she still wasn't convinced. Because she always has to be right - because she is the eldest and she knows more than the rest of us and our opinions don't count :rolleyes:

And I always used to clean up my shed hairs myself when I was staying there, I wouldn't dream of letting someone else do it.

I can only assume she's not aware of how babies are made. Lol
You must have amazing patience. I just could not handle her.

I live in granola crunchy Northern California. I'm a recent transplant, and this is the only place I have lived where not washing your hair daily is seen as acceptable.

Well, we are in a drought but even before that not washing is pretty popular with a lot of people here.

Oh my gosh, and then there's this...

Have you ever noticed that even old scrawny men or ones with big bellies and bald heads seem to think they're handsome as all get out and that all the pretty women should think so too, while we women are way too worried about every detail of how we look, thinking we're awful when we're actually looking pretty well...

Yes!!! Guys can have huge guts and think he's one hot cookie. Heaven forbid a gal have weight on her.
I can't figure out if it's men that caused this image or women. I feel like as women we cause more harm than good as a whole group.
I tried to compliment a lady in line and the person I was with just shrugged shoulders. As if someone being gorgeous was offensive. I like to compliment women. Everyone seems to think its weird. I feel men often compliment themselves so need pointing out a good looking one. Women tend to beat themselves up.

browneyedsusan
May 16th, 2016, 09:38 PM
@Sarahlabyrinth: Your sister is a crazy, meaniepants! (or a meanie crazypants!)
Brush her crazy talk off. Don't let it get on you!

Sarahlabyrinth
May 16th, 2016, 09:42 PM
@Sarahlabyrinth: Your sister is a crazy, meaniepants! (or a meanie crazypants!)
Brush her crazy talk off. Don't let it get on you!

I don't spend huge amounts of time with her - actually, two of my sisters are like this :rolleyes:

DH always tries to run away when either of them is around. One of them always tries to flirt with him and he gets this terrified look on his face. She picked up his hand at the dinner table one day and told him what wonderful hands he has... I was sitting there not believing what I was seeing. And trying not to giggle at his expression.

Anya15
May 16th, 2016, 10:18 PM

Oh my goodness. This. As a hairy woman (my genetics unfortunately) I had to face so many comments about my body hair as a teen. Not all from boys, mind you, some were from girls too.

Fortunately, my current SO doesn't care about body hair and is totally comfortable discussing bodily issues with me, even periods, which a lot of men find "gross".

molljo
May 16th, 2016, 11:11 PM
Yes!!! Guys can have huge guts and think he's one hot cookie. Heaven forbid a gal have weight on her.
I can't figure out if it's men that caused this image or women. I feel like as women we cause more harm than good as a whole group.
I tried to compliment a lady in line and the person I was with just shrugged shoulders. As if someone being gorgeous was offensive. I like to compliment women. Everyone seems to think its weird. I feel men often compliment themselves so need pointing out a good looking one. Women tend to beat themselves up.

I think the whole "women are meaner about other women's looks" thing is really just all the messages women receive about how we aren't good enough. So, if a woman takes all of these messages to heart and tries to do everything society and the media tell her to "fix" all of her problems (buy X products, dress X way, behave X way, etc.) there's a real sense of betrayal to see another woman consciously choose *not* to do those things. Like "I'M TRYING SO HARD HOW DARE YOU NOT TRY AS HARD AS ME". It's easier to blame the woman opting out than it is to blame society for making her feel less than in the first place.

LadyCelestina
May 16th, 2016, 11:22 PM
I don't know people. I think there's quite a lot of pressure to look a certain way on guys as well. I've heard quite a lot of sh.t being told to guys who for example don't grow so much body hair or grow too much body hair. Maybe they don't make such a big and open fuss about it like women do, but they do get negative comments even from girls. As if you could somehow can you choose how much body hair you grow.

pili
May 17th, 2016, 12:15 AM
I think the whole "women are meaner about other women's looks" thing is really just all the messages women receive about how we aren't good enough. So, if a woman takes all of these messages to heart and tries to do everything society and the media tell her to "fix" all of her problems (buy X products, dress X way, behave X way, etc.) there's a real sense of betrayal to see another woman consciously choose *not* to do those things. Like "I'M TRYING SO HARD HOW DARE YOU NOT TRY AS HARD AS ME". It's easier to blame the woman opting out than it is to blame society for making her feel less than in the first place.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Mimha
May 17th, 2016, 01:51 AM
(...) there's a real sense of betrayal to see another woman consciously choose *not* to do those things. Like "I'M TRYING SO HARD HOW DARE YOU NOT TRY AS HARD AS ME". It's easier to blame the woman opting out than it is to blame society for making her feel less than in the first place.

This !! Couldn't agree more, lol. In fact, when people here mention "hair jealousy", I think that in fact it is more a woman's anger against those who "allow themselves" to look different or stand out of the main stream. The fact that you get noticeable (especially through such supposedly seducive attribute as long hair) is considered provocative and somehow threatening. Free thinkers have always been suspected as potential threats to the main stream order. So when I get icy/hostile stares from some ladies in the street (which is almost on a daily basis), I don't automatically assume that they are envious of my hair or body shape, but that they feel that I try to attract attention (especially male one) by going beyond what they allow themselves to be or to do, or beyond what they think possible for themselves. These ladies also often assumes that you've got "all that" (= nice body shape and beautiful long hair) for free, and it looks so unfair ! They don't imagine that they could have it as well and just need to work on their own potential instead of feeling frustrated against a random passer-by. Be in good health and have nice hair requires some dedication. It's not just buy products and pile them up on your skin or scalp. It doesn't work like this.

Anya15
May 17th, 2016, 02:35 AM
This !! Couldn't agree more, lol. In fact, when people here mention "hair jealousy", I think that in fact it is more a woman's anger against those who "allow themselves" to look different or stand out of the main stream. The fact that you get noticeable (especially through such supposedly seducive attribute as long hair) is considered provocative and somehow threatening. Free thinkers have always been suspected as potential threats to the main stream order. So when I get icy/hostile stares from some ladies in the street (which is almost on a daily basis), I don't automatically assume that they are envious of my hair or body shape, but that they feel that I try to attract attention (especially male one) by going beyond what they allow themselves to be or to do, or beyond what they think possible for themselves. These ladies also often assumes that you've got "all that" (= nice body shape and beautiful long hair) for free, and it looks so unfair ! They don't imagine that they could have it as well and just need to work on their own potential instead of feeling frustrated against a random passer-by. Be in good health and have nice hair requires some dedication. It's not just buy products and pile them up on your skin or scalp. It doesn't work like this.

This is so true. Other women are jealous of so many things. My skin for one (not realising that I spent all of my teen years battling acne). Then there's my body/weight-i get joked about being underweight (I am about 5 kg below the optimum) but then the same people are like, I'm so jealous of your figure! Then my height (I am considered tall for an Indian woman). As if I can control my height, it's the genes I got.

molljo
May 17th, 2016, 02:42 AM

Exactly. To bring this back on topic, I think the same thing happens when people react with disgust and/or confusion when they ask longhairs how they got such beautiful/long/shiny/etc. hair.
"You don't wash it every day? You use oils? You trim it yourself?" They want it to be something "acceptable" like a particular expensive product line or a stylist at a certain salon or whatever. For example, I know a woman who got excited about some conditioner with olive oil in it but she couldn't believe that I add olive oil from my kitchen to my own cheap conditioner. Something just broke in her brain. You can't just throw money at the problem without changing your behavior and expect miracle results.

Bagginslover
May 17th, 2016, 06:36 AM
What a great thread! ;)

How mean! My boyfriend LOVES my sleeping cap, he loves Victoriana, especially the fashions, so I suppose he sees it as fitting with that. He always tells me I look cute in it (I really don't, but I don't mind him saying so)

browneyedsusan
May 17th, 2016, 06:47 AM
I don't spend huge amounts of time with her - actually, two of my sisters are like this :rolleyes:

DH always tries to run away when either of them is around. One of them always tries to flirt with him and he gets this terrified look on his face. She picked up his hand at the dinner table one day and told him what wonderful hands he has... I was sitting there not believing what I was seeing. And trying not to giggle at his expression.

Thank heaven!
It sounds like your sisters wear the crazypants proudly! lol!

---------
oopsie! I derailed again! :oops:
*muscles the train back up on the track*

I haven't gone for a trim in 3 years, because I can do it myself now. I don't know many non-LHC women that cut their own hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 17th, 2016, 02:18 PM
How mean! My boyfriend LOVES my sleeping cap, he loves Victoriana, especially the fashions, so I suppose he sees it as fitting with that. He always tells me I look cute in it (I really don't, but I don't mind him saying so)

My DH thinks I look really cute in my sleeping cap too! He's such a sweetheart! He would probably think I look cute whatever I wear, though - he calls me his treasure, his little sweetie, his little cupcake. Actually I think my name has been changed from Sarahlabyrinth to Sweetie. I don't mind :crush: ;)

lunalocks
May 17th, 2016, 06:21 PM
AHHHH Sara, you are a lucky lady. So am I! DH loves my sleeping cap (because it means there are no hard spin pins or pointy hair forks to come in contact with), he loves my hair (even tho he doesn't get to see it down very much) and calls me Sweetie too.

I keep my hair habits to myself, when it comes to outside family members. But I do get comments about my hair forks. It's usually " I really like that thing you have in your hair."

Wildcat Diva
May 17th, 2016, 06:27 PM
Ok, you guys are going to make me repost my sleeping cap texts between me and hubby now, aren't you? Let me find it...
ok...
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/janineevans/0532A99F-BA31-454A-B9D1-115D9E6C2153_zpspchbk0wm.png

Complexity
May 17th, 2016, 06:34 PM
Ok, you guys are going to make me repost my sleeping cap texts between me and hubby now, aren't you? Let me find it...
ok...
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/janineevans/0532A99F-BA31-454A-B9D1-115D9E6C2153_zpspchbk0wm.png

This is my favourite text post of life. I routinely say to DBF that you guys are relationship goals. I think he thinks I'm nuts, and maybe I am, but I'm not changing my opinion.

stahil
May 17th, 2016, 06:40 PM

You are absolutely right. Moms and grandmas still mostly practice it but my generation and younger seem to stay far away from oils. I learned early on that oily hair was not only looked down upon among peers, it was actively discouraged in school. As a result, I stopped oiling as soon as I was old enough to have a say. I grew up in a big city in India. I understand it varies by region.

Anya15
May 17th, 2016, 07:31 PM
You are absolutely right. Moms and grandmas still mostly practice it but my generation and younger seem to stay far away from oils. I learned early on that oily hair was not only looked down upon among peers, it was actively discouraged in school. As a result, I stopped oiling as soon as I was old enough to have a say. I grew up in a big city in India. I understand it varies by region.

Exactly! I stopped oiling at one point too, then my hair became like straw :lol: so I started again after my big shed. It helped.

Wildcat Diva
May 17th, 2016, 08:09 PM
This is my favourite text post of life. I routinely say to DBF that you guys are relationship goals. I think he thinks I'm nuts, and maybe I am, but I'm not changing my opinion.

That's super flattering. Trust me, often things are a big fail, but we will have been married 20 years in October. We can each be buttholes to each other at times but in many ways we match up with our quirky rebelness in a way that has been pretty fun.

pailin
May 17th, 2016, 10:29 PM

I remember my Indian friend who grew up in the US started oiling her hair, and she had a roommate who grew up in India; the roommate couldn't believe she was doing that voluntarily. Apparently she'd been made to oil her hair as a kid, so now she hated it.

Anya15
May 17th, 2016, 10:37 PM
ok...

Oh my god this is awesome. I must show this to the BF. :D I don't have a silk sleep cap yet, but he seems to love it when my hair is braided or bunned (even if the bun is a random cinnablob with the layers sticking out everywhere!). I wear twin braids to bed often and whenever we Skype before my bedtime, he tells me they're very cute :3

Mimha
May 18th, 2016, 05:12 AM

Exactly! I stopped oiling at one point too, then my hair became like straw :lol: so I started again after my big shed. It helped.

I remember my Indian friend who grew up in the US started oiling her hair, and she had a roommate who grew up in India; the roommate couldn't believe she was doing that voluntarily. Apparently she'd been made to oil her hair as a kid, so now she hated it.

It's interesting to notice that people on the spot consider it "evolving" to abandon ancient ways, whereas emigrants actively rediscover them in the need of not loosing their roots... This is interesting ! You'll need one more generation for the Indian to rediscover it through their American counterparts, ha ha ha ! So you, ladies, are custodian of an old Indian wisdom, entrusted with spreading awareness to the new generation !! :lol:

Yeah... I do mean it, you know !! :)