PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in hair rut. Advice appreciated

gregh
May 14th, 2016, 05:02 PM
Recently I have lost some of the love I have previously had for my hair. I really enjoyed the whole process of growing it out, despite the awkward stage. It was something I had wanted to do for a very long time and so I was quite excited, plus everything was a new experience along the way. I reached my initial goal of APL a little while ago and have started to feel like my hair is actually long. But I have noticed over the last few weeks/months that I have started to feel my hair is just a part of the routine, which makes the extra effort to take care of it a bit of a chore. I have gone my hair being exciting to drudgery, though that is probably an exaggeration. Any way advice appreciated.

missrandie
May 14th, 2016, 05:39 PM
Maybe you need to find some way to mix it up a little bit? Maybe try a little different styling or something?

I know my awkward times are when I really despise doing anything with my hair, because I know it won't cooperate in the slightest.

Good luck, and know your hair is epic!

Qz
May 14th, 2016, 07:23 PM
I can relate in a backward sort of way, since I do kind of like the way my hair looks short when it's styled, but it's so work intensive for me to make it look the way I want it to that it's just too much work. Even though I do a lot more maintenance-wise with it long, I don't spend anywhere nearly so much effort on a daily basis just trying to get a style to hold the way I think it should. I can just braid it and forget it and know it at least looks decent when it's long. Also, when my hair is long it just makes me feel like myself, which I don't when I have it cut short. I have no idea why I feel that way but I do. Everyone just prefers a certain length or a certain level of required care, and there's not a thing wrong with that I don't think.

EdG
May 14th, 2016, 07:26 PM
Most people here will tell you that long hair requires less work than short hair.

Maybe you need to learn how to bun or braid, or how to wash without getting the length wet. You may need to buy some hair accessories ("hair toys"). Long hair styles have both practical and aesthetic benefits.
Ed

EdG
May 14th, 2016, 07:43 PM
(mispost deleted)

AmyBeth
May 14th, 2016, 07:59 PM
I love the 2 week rule that is spoken of here whenever anyone gets impatient with their hair. You must have had a reason for growing your hair out. Think about the reason or reasons you wanted long hair. I do know from personal experience that wanting long hair and actually having long hair can be very different things. Think about it before you make any hasty decisions because cutting is very quick and growing is very slow. Your hair is to be enjoyed as much as possible whether it's long or short.

gregh
May 18th, 2016, 08:52 PM
I appreciate the advice from everyone. I read through these a couple days ago and have been pondering a bit. I decided not to cut, just changed around my routine which I realized was the problem so that I take advantage of the things I like about long hair and that has done the trick.

missmex
May 18th, 2016, 09:15 PM
I'm also in a rut. I have been growing my hair out for almost two years trying to reach terminal length and can't wait til my hair is tail bone length. It's at waist length (YAY!!).

But I like curls. Long, loose curls. Ringlets all over my head. Anything other than my straight hair! :)

browneyedsusan
May 20th, 2016, 07:53 AM
I'm glad you got it sorted out.

FWIW: I've had pixies for a lot of years, and there are benefits and drawbacks. A different set of benefits and drawbacks for my WL+ hair. Make a list? Then it'll be easier to decide? If you cut it back, it'll take a few years make it to APL again, so choose wisely!

I like that I can bun my hair if I want it "short", and now can wear it down. (Down wasn't an option before!) I also have a zillion styling options now, and had about 3 before.

Groovy Granny
May 20th, 2016, 09:18 AM
I appreciate the advice from everyone. I read through these a couple days ago and have been pondering a bit. I decided not to cut, just changed around my routine which I realized was the problem so that I take advantage of the things I like about long hair and that has done the trick.

Awesome :thumbsup:

We'd love to see pics of braids & buns :popcorn:

lapushka
May 20th, 2016, 02:40 PM
Recently I have lost some of the love I have previously had for my hair. I really enjoyed the whole process of growing it out, despite the awkward stage. It was something I had wanted to do for a very long time and so I was quite excited, plus everything was a new experience along the way. I reached my initial goal of APL a little while ago and have started to feel like my hair is actually long. But I have noticed over the last few weeks/months that I have started to feel my hair is just a part of the routine, which makes the extra effort to take care of it a bit of a chore. I have gone my hair being exciting to drudgery, though that is probably an exaggeration. Any way advice appreciated.

Sometimes when the urge is there to cut a *huge* amount off, and if that urge persists and starts really nagging at you badly, just half an inch to an inch will usually solve it. It just means it's a little too long for you and that you might have reached *your* perfect length and are now growing over that limit.