PDA

View Full Version : What the?? Late life hair abuser....

georgia_peach
May 14th, 2016, 04:22 PM
I've been really stressed out lately (work and personal life). I used to be a compulsive trimmer, hair cutter, etc. I've grown from above shoulder to below BSL in two years with only two trims. But in the last month or so I've noticed that I'm taking out my stress and anger on my hair by ripping a comb through it right after washing and being generally rough with my hair. That is so messed up! :-( Maybe this should be a blog instead of a post. But I guess I'm looking for some support and encouragement.

lapushka
May 14th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Well now that you *know* and have talked about it, maybe you can start to be a little more careful. :flower:

Ophidian
May 14th, 2016, 04:49 PM
I have gone through phases in the past five years of cutting/shaving/dying compulsively. Prior to this, I had waist length hair which I took good care of until a few months before I chopped it off. I was going through a lot emotionally at that point, and my hair--something about myself that I put a lot of care into--sort of turned into this target of my frustration with myself and my life in general. I wanted to be different/feel different, and I really stopped taking care of myself at that point. I don't really know why, and I don't have any wisdom on this to share, because I still don't feel like I've really recovered. I do know that in deciding to grow my hair out again a month ago and mindfully taking care of something that is a part of me, I feel like there is some kind of healing. The beginnings of it at least. Even little things, like doing a deep conditioning treatment, or taking a long bath with essential oils and sea salt (it doesn't matter what, just things that make me feel like I am doing something special for myself), they help.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have all my empathy and support. For me, anyway, this was a self-love thing I think--I needed to feel like I was worth taking care of. That sounds extreme, perhaps, but I have noticed that the way I treat my hair is definitely tied to my general stress/mental health which is definitely something I struggle to keep in balance.

I hope that you find some peace, and gentleness :blossom:

georgia_peach
May 14th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Thank you, Lapushka. You are so right. :flower:
I have gone through phases in the past five years of cutting/shaving/dying compulsively. Prior to this, I had waist length hair which I took good care of until a few months before I chopped it off. I was going through a lot emotionally at that point, and my hair--something about myself that I put a lot of care into--sort of turned into this target of my frustration with myself and my life in general. I wanted to be different/feel different, and I really stopped taking care of myself at that point. I don't really know why, and I don't have any wisdom on this to share, because I still don't feel like I've really recovered. I do know that in deciding to grow my hair out again a month ago and mindfully taking care of something that is a part of me, I feel like there is some kind of healing. The beginnings of it at least. Even little things, like doing a deep conditioning treatment, or taking a long bath with essential oils and sea salt (it doesn't matter what, just things that make me feel like I am doing something special for myself), they help.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have all my empathy and support. For me, anyway, this was a self-love thing I think--I needed to feel like I was worth taking care of. That sounds extreme, perhaps, but I have noticed that the way I treat my hair is definitely tied to my general stress/mental health which is definitely something I struggle to keep in balance.

I hope that you find some peace, and gentleness :blossom: Thank you so much. Not extreme at all. I definitely need to do a better job of taking care of myself.