PDA

View Full Version : Your hair when you were...

lapushka
May 14th, 2016, 09:24 AM
Your hair when you were...
a teenager!

What was it like? And most of all, in what era did you grow up? What was popular and did you follow the trends of the time?

I sure did. I grew up in the 80s (mostly) and in the 90s I just came of age. So mostly the 80s. Big perms. Yes, did that. Crimped my hair. Yes. Did that... a lot! Lots of heat and styling it. It was about BSL or shorter, mostly. Then for graduation I had a major hairdresser disaster as a trainee cut my hair. She cut it in the typical 80s bang style with lots of layers. Not at all what I wanted. Then I had to have the manager fix it and for the layers to be gone I had to have it cut into about an ear length bob with *very* short bangs. My mom, when she came to pick me up was devastated! I had much longer hair at the time.

pili
May 14th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Oh! Fun thread. I am also a child of the 80s/90s. I either had huge don't-know-not-brush frizzy hair that would break off at shoulder length. A pixie that looked good for about a week. Or (once I stopped brushing it dry) HUGE curly hair. I lived in Miami, so humidity ruled my life.

Nettyx
May 14th, 2016, 09:37 AM
I'm 80s/90s too, we are the same age Pili.

I had 80's lady Diana hair for a bit then the perm then I had long straight hair, I was a bit grunge/goth. In my 20's and 30's I mainly had a bob but now it is MBL and weirdly almost the same as when I was in my late teens.

hayheadsbird
May 14th, 2016, 09:52 AM
As a teen in the 90s it was mostly SL+, then one night got chopped to ear length...was a pretty drastic change! Was completely unplanned and spur of the moment, some of the younger girls in the halls I boarded in during high school had been playing hairdresser and came to show me, and not being quite as sober as I perhaps should have been on a week night, I told them to do mine😝 My boyfriend walked straight past me the next day.
Through my 20s early 30s it's gone between mbl and a bob.
Here we grow again 😄

AZDesertRose
May 14th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Like a lot of people who've already posted in this thread, I grew up in the 80s and early 90s. As a young child, I wasn't allowed to grow it much past shoulder length because my mom didn't know what to do with long hair, but once I was old enough to deal with my own hair, Mom pretty much went hands-off as long as I did in fact take care of my hair (kept it clean and combed/brushed, etc.).

In my senior photos (which were taken summer 1992; my senior year was the 1992-1993 school year), my hair is long enough that it's out of frame (it was between BSL and waist), and my bangs are curled and frozen with much hairspray into the poofy curly thing we did back then, LOL. My daughter laughed at the hairdos in my yearbook around the time her own senior photos were taken. I laughingly told her, "You wait twenty years or so; you'll look back and wonder why you did that to your hair or why you wore those clothes!" My mother agreed. (There's a girl in Mom's senior yearbook [1966] whose beehive is so tall it's out of frame, no lie.)

Groovy Granny
May 14th, 2016, 10:27 AM
60's flower child :flower:

WL+ hair parted in the middle.

I only put it up when I was working as a nurse ; flipped braid secured with a barrette under my nurse's cap.

When hiking/cleaning I would wear a bandana to keep it out of my face..... and an occasional ponytail.

Cg
May 14th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Born in the '50s and had long hair until it became de rigeur. Then I hacked it all off. Now that IRL no one my age would consider long hair, I revel in it... so, ok, admittedly contrarian.

DweamGoiL
May 14th, 2016, 10:35 AM
Grew up in the 70's as a child, teens in the 80's, and 90's as a young adult. Late 70's to early 80's had a Farrah Fawcett winged bangs hair cut. I permed my hair several times in the 80's and could not live without hair shellac. Then, I let my hair grow out to BSL for a bit and then alternative music kicked in and I began buzzing my sides, coloring in different colors, spiking, and keeping my hair cropped pretty close.

I had really long hair when I was a child, but I didn't grow out my hair long again until I was in my 30's.

lapushka
May 14th, 2016, 11:41 AM
Grew up in the 70's as a child, teens in the 80's, and 90's as a young adult.

Same with me. :) From what I remember of the 70s they were awesome. :)

Anya15
May 14th, 2016, 12:01 PM
I was a teen in the '00s. We didn't have much choice with our hair as we had to wear it braided to school (school rules, we had a uniform and all). My hair varied from waist length to tailbone length, in 9th grade I chopped it to APL, then grew it out again. The popular cuts at the time were ones with lots of layers but my mom didn't let me get them because they would cause my braids to shred :P

I had bangs as a kid. I grew them out after I was 8 or so I think.

Complexity
May 14th, 2016, 12:19 PM
As a teenager, I was pretty famous for growing and chopping on whims. I had hair all different colours and styles at one time or another and used to sport liberty spikes on the regular (and the longer my hair was at the time, the better they looked).

When I was 18, I apprenticed at a salon mostly so that I could save some money haha. It worked for a while, but then the woman I was working for simply up and moved one day. I found out later she was brought up on a bunch of fraud charges. My random colour/cut obsessions continued into my mid-20s, then I moved out into the boonies (where the closest salon is a 35 min drive away).

CoveredByLove
May 14th, 2016, 01:58 PM
I was a teen during the '00s. I've always had long hair. It was TBL up until my mid-teens...then something interesting happened. I was a late bloomer and for some crazy reason my hair was frizzier than usual. :D I put it in flocked hot rollers every day at one point because I didn't know what else to do with it. Yet, I didn't give it much thought either. Until one day I got tired of rolling it, and I said to myself "I'm going to just put gel in it and be done for the day. I don't care anymore" I left the bathroom with wet, gelled hair. Walked back in an hour or so later and took a double take in the mirror....my face was surrounded by ringlets! It was the best day of my life, because as a little kid I always wished I had curly hair. It was as if God said "Here ya go! You're welcome!" My hair was really weird from 16-19 yrs old, because it was TBL and the top half wanted to curl and the bottom half was straight. That's when I started trimming my hair and it stayed around BSL. Slowly my curls made it all the way to the ends. Then I got married at 23 and fried it with hot tools (by accident..I love my curls but I was ignorant of heat styling). This is what happens when you are a late bloomer...your teens are extended into your 20s! :lol:

Qz
May 14th, 2016, 02:14 PM
From 1970 on until I was about 16 I had long straight (oily) dark chestnut hair. Wore it hippie style parted down the center, and that was one of the only times I did not have bangs. Most of the time I wore it down loose, but my second most common style was to put it into pigtails using those goofy looking hair ties we used to have that had big colored lucite balls on either end. If I missed one day washing it it looked hideously greasy. Thinking back on that makes me happy not to be an oily teenager any more :D

If you are too young to remember those hair ties, here's a linked picture and I am talking about the red ones. https://img1.etsystatic.com/111/0/5945911/il_570xN.1000782741_bmvs.jpg

lapushka
May 14th, 2016, 02:23 PM
From 1970 on until I was about 16 I had long straight (oily) dark chestnut hair. Wore it hippie style parted down the center, and that was one of the only times I did not have bangs. Most of the time I wore it down loose, but my second most common style was to put it into pigtails using those goofy looking hair ties we used to have that had big colored lucite balls on either end. If I missed one day washing it it looked hideously greasy. Thinking back on that makes me happy not to be an oily teenager any more :D

If you are too young to remember those hair ties, here's a linked picture and I am talking about the red ones. https://img1.etsystatic.com/111/0/5945911/il_570xN.1000782741_bmvs.jpg

Aaah I had those *exact* red ones! Those baubles. My mom used to not lock them together like you should, she would tie one side around the ponytail with the elastic, then the other. :lol:

lapis_lazuli
May 14th, 2016, 02:36 PM
I'm still technically a teenager :) I've been growing my hair out since I was 14, so I've had it long (BSL+) the whole time. I have no plans to change! :D

ReadingRenee
May 14th, 2016, 03:21 PM
I also grew up in the late 80's early 90's but I was hopelessly out of fashion. My mom wouldn't let me cut my hair so it was at least waist length. I talked her into bangs when I was 12 and I even got a curling iron to try to curl them the way everyone did back in the 80's. But, I only did it once or twice. I wore my hair unstyled, just parted on the side with no bangs for years and years. I also always wore it down and never put it up. My junior year I took my own money and rode my bike into town and got a hair cut to my shoulders and loved it. My mom wasn't happy but it was a done deal. I ended up growing it back out until I was 17 and had my first break up. After that I cut it myself to a pixie and I kept it in some sort of a pixie for most of my twenties. I would try to grow it out but once it got around jaw length I had to cut it back to a pixie.

Qz
May 14th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Aaah I had those *exact* red ones! Those baubles. My mom used to not lock them together like you should, she would tie one side around the ponytail with the elastic, then the other. :lol:

Goofy as they look to me now, I did love them then :D That's funny about how your mom did it, I wouldn't have thought to do it that way. They were so much better than just using rubber bands like we did before they started making the ties! I still remember how painful getting a rubber band out of a pigtail could be, it was no fun atall.

nalgena
May 14th, 2016, 04:24 PM
I grew up in the 90s and my hair was mostly short, chin length at the front and spiky at the back. Yes, I have quite a lot of embarrassing photos :).

littlestarface
May 14th, 2016, 04:51 PM

I still use those :p I love them, when I was little 80s those would be the one thing my mom put in my hair.

nekosan
May 14th, 2016, 05:21 PM
Bangs and a perm, waist length hair. I think the hairdresser cut off an actual 6" for the 1" trim pre-perm.

Phanaferous
May 14th, 2016, 06:47 PM
Late 80's/90's: As a preteen I was rockin a triangle perm with hairsprayed bangs a mile high. Add braces and oversized pink glasses to the mix and you get the picture.

When I entered high school, I was growing out the last of the perms, and chopped to chin-length as a sophomore to have non-processed hair. From there I grew to below shoulders; once I got past the awkward mid-neck to collarbone phase, I never went shorter again.

spidermom
May 14th, 2016, 06:49 PM
60s and 70s, and I have the pictures to prove it.
The twiggy years
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/MO7.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/spidermom/media/MO7.jpg.html)
(but my hair wouldn't do the style right)

And I can't show you more right now because photobucket spazzed out on me.

wispywinnie
May 14th, 2016, 08:03 PM
I just finished my teenage years! My hair has always been from SL to slightly above APL. It's virgin hair because my mom NEVER let me put any salon chemicals into it or dye it. I was always so jealous of the girls in my grade from 13-16 getting highlights, doing pretty ombre looks, and completely tying new colors. Although "chemically" it was "healthy," I could never grow it because I used heat on it literally every single day, it broke off and basically stayed around SL up until I started weaning myself off of heat. I also teased it around 13-15 and got very heavy bangs when I went through a very angsty stage. I look back and cringe, I'm so happy my hair is getting back on track to being healthy and long!

Quixii
May 14th, 2016, 08:44 PM
Well, I joined here when I was 15. So it was longer than average, and I never straightened it like a lot of people do. But mostly y'all know what it looked like. :p

Frankenstein
May 14th, 2016, 09:11 PM
I'm 22 (almost 23) so my teenage years weren't all that long ago. I remember the "scene kid" hairstyle being very popular at the time, as well as the one with chin-length bangs and short & spiky in the back. Some of my friends had those styles, but they weren't for me. I have always loved the long hair of the 60s and 70s so I started to grow my hair out when I was about 12 - by the time I was 15 it was pretty long; I can't remember exactly but I would guess around hip. I also blow-dried and straightened it almost daily, so I had very split, uneven ends. I colored it burgundy for about 8 months, then decided to go blonde, which ruined it to the point of having to cut between shoulder/APL. After that terrible experience, I swore off coloring and regular heat styling. All I wanted was to have my long hair back. By the time I was 18, it had reached BSL again and after that point it seemed to grow like weeds.

Jennah
May 14th, 2016, 09:25 PM
19 year old self back in the 80s! (That´s right before I got married!)

I had those bangs because I used to "cut my hair myself" by grabbing all the hair from the top of my head up in a pony and cutting it. The rest of the hair was one length MBL which I´d sometimes put mousse on it, flip the head upside down, and blow dry huge!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23017&d=1463282434

lapushka
May 15th, 2016, 03:56 AM
60s and 70s, and I have the pictures to prove it.
The twiggy years
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/MO7.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/spidermom/media/MO7.jpg.html)
(but my hair wouldn't do the style right)

And I can't show you more right now because photobucket spazzed out on me.

That is so cute! :D :inlove:

19 year old self back in the 80s! (That´s right before I got married!)

I had those bangs because I used to "cut my hair myself" by grabbing all the hair from the top of my head up in a pony and cutting it. The rest of the hair was one length MBL which I´d sometimes put mousse on it, flip the head upside down, and blow dry huge!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23017&d=1463282434

You look like a curly Patti Smith for some reason; to me at least. :)
Very pretty.

CatsAndCoffee
May 15th, 2016, 04:37 AM
I graduated high school less than a decade ago ... So what was in style pretty much still is in style, except no one had an ombre and the "lob" wasn't nearly as popular.

But I went to high school in the South, where what's "in" everywhere else doesn't matter and there's a startling uniformity in high school girls. There were pretty much two accepted hair styles: Flat ironed straight or "natural" bedhead-y waves that look like they have half a can of mousse in them. The accepted colours are dark brown, light natural ashy brown, and heavily foiled blonde. Now, I think it's "okay" to cut your hair into a long bob during the summer ... But it has to be able to grow out long enough to go up for winter formal.

I wore my hair in a close cropped pixie for most of high school, occasionally growing it out to a chin-length style. It was either almost-black-brown or my natural medium ashy blonde. I stand out in old group photos. :laugh:

Mademoiselle
May 15th, 2016, 05:13 AM
I was a teenager was between 2005 and 2010 (from 13 to 18 years old) my hair was long (between waist and coccyx) with blond streaks and beautiful natural waves until I was 16 years and dyed it black and started to iron every day, i had a bad time of hair damage from iron to 18 i started to care more, suddenly my hair turned 1c, i dont know where are my waves but since i have not returned to have, though my hair is healthy because i dont dye and use the iron about 10 times a year.

enting
May 15th, 2016, 06:43 AM
Teen hair on me was mostly long and frizzy. It was the 90's and I (and my hairdressers) had no idea what to do with curls. I'd brush my hair out wet and dry, sleep on it unbound, and try to rip my ball tipped brush through the perennial dreadlock that tried to form at the back of my neck :) I'd wash my hair once a week, and that day my hair would be nice, but after that it would just be frizz. It was also horribly dry. I'd rarely wear it loose during the day, it was too big and hot. I loved doing crazy different hairstyles all the time. The banded caterpillar ponytail was a favorite, especially with lots of different colored scrunchies.
I discovered hair gel, mousse, and Frizz-Ease during these years. I still remember the time I put in way too much mousse. My hair was in perfect, hardened curls that gently whispered when I moved my head as if it were some kind of muted windchime.... (and I'm fairly certain I then brushed my hair out the next day with the mousse still in it - I shudder to think of the damage)

lapushka
May 15th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Teen hair on me was mostly long and frizzy. It was the 90's and I (and my hairdressers) had no idea what to do with curls. I'd brush my hair out wet and dry, sleep on it unbound, and try to rip my ball tipped brush through the perennial dreadlock that tried to form at the back of my neck :) I'd wash my hair once a week, and that day my hair would be nice, but after that it would just be frizz. It was also horribly dry. I'd rarely wear it loose during the day, it was too big and hot. I loved doing crazy different hairstyles all the time. The banded caterpillar ponytail was a favorite, especially with lots of different colored scrunchies.
I discovered hair gel, mousse, and Frizz-Ease during these years. I still remember the time I put in way too much mousse. My hair was in perfect, hardened curls that gently whispered when I moved my head as if it were some kind of muted windchime.... (and I'm fairly certain I then brushed my hair out the next day with the mousse still in it - I shudder to think of the damage)

I remember frizzy very well. I went from 1b/c to 2b/c and during the transition it fell out in clumps (bald patches). Anyway, I got "rid" of my frizz by... hang on and wait for it... crimping it. :lol: That was my solution.

Nesoi
May 15th, 2016, 07:16 AM
I was a teenager in the 90s. I loved - I still love - rock music and I was very into the surrounding culture at the time. My hair was a different colour every week! I shaved bits, teased bits, sprayed it all to hell and back. It was great fun!

lapushka
May 15th, 2016, 07:41 AM
Does anyone remember Sinéad o'Connor in the 90s? I did millimeter my hair at the time (very early 20s when I went on to study), and had the same long coat as she did in one of her videos; in fact, I still have that coat. :lol:

spidermom
May 15th, 2016, 09:34 AM
O.k., let's see if photobucket is working for me today. My prior picture with the short-short Twiggy hair was the 1960s style. In the 1970s I was doing this in high school:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/MO8.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/spidermom/media/MO8.jpg.html)

And this after high school (because I loved Jimi Hendrix and Angela Davis):
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/afromom2.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/spidermom/media/afromom2.jpg.html)
I had a shag haircut that I'd roll on tiny sponge rollers and pop a wig over the top until it dried (about 36 hours).
Then I'd take out the rollers and pick out my hair:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/afromom.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/spidermom/media/afromom.jpg.html)
Back then, nobody accused me of appropriating a culture that was not my own. I just truly loved the style with all my heart and soul.

vampyyri
May 15th, 2016, 09:45 AM
My hair when I was a teenager... oh, boy :lol:

Well, I went through a goth phase, so I dyed my hair from blonde to pitch black. I was goth for several years, and when I started to "phase out" of the style (not the music, though!) I had my then boyfriend's Mother at the time (who was a hairdresser) bleach my hair to a dark auburn with lighter auburn highlights. He then broke up with me shortly after I bleached my hair back to blonde because "You remind me too much of my mom, I feel like I'm dating my mom!". Ah, those were the days (not)!

This was back in the 2000s, and the whole hair transition was from when I was 13-16 years old. After my mother passed away when I was 18, I dyed my hair dark brown... because traumatic events compel me to change my hair (does anyone else do this?). I had it professionally bleached back to blonde back in 2012, and since then I've trimmed all of that damaged hair off. All virgin hair now!

Jennah
May 15th, 2016, 12:47 PM
You look like a curly Patti Smith for some reason; to me at least. :)
Very pretty.

Oh cooool! :cool: Thank you! :crush:

lapushka
May 15th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Oh cooool! :cool: Thank you! :crush:

You're welcome! :D

lapushka
May 15th, 2016, 01:15 PM
My hair when I was a teenager... oh, boy :lol:

Well, I went through a goth phase, so I dyed my hair from blonde to pitch black. I was goth for several years, and when I started to "phase out" of the style (not the music, though!) I had my then boyfriend's Mother at the time (who was a hairdresser) bleach my hair to a dark auburn with lighter auburn highlights. He then broke up with me shortly after I bleached my hair back to blonde because "You remind me too much of my mom, I feel like I'm dating my mom!". Ah, those were the days (not)!

This was back in the 2000s, and the whole hair transition was from when I was 13-16 years old. After my mother passed away when I was 18, I dyed my hair dark brown... because traumatic events compel me to change my hair (does anyone else do this?). I had it professionally bleached back to blonde back in 2012, and since then I've trimmed all of that damaged hair off. All virgin hair now!

I'm sorry about your mom passing; that's a young age to lose a mother. :(

Adorkable One
May 15th, 2016, 10:25 PM
When I was a teenager, which wasn't that long ago, (10 years ago, I was 16)...my hair was completely natural. My parent's didn't let me dye my hair until I was 18. So when I turned 18, I got blonde highlights, and side swept bangs, because that was "cool." So I guess that's why I'm still getting it out of my system now, because I always wanted to color my hair. Lol. Despite being all natural in my teens, it wasn't very healthy. It was healthier when I started coloring it, because I became conscious of it's health. It wasn't until I started bleaching my whole head that the health became questionable again. Haha.

Shepherdess
May 15th, 2016, 11:54 PM
This is a great thread idea! I am enjoying reading how others had their hair as a teenager! :flower:

My hair was all natural as a teenager. My mom always insisted I have bangs, but they were always the most awkward poofy bangs, and I hated them. I was glad when I finally was old enough to make my own hair decisions in my later teens. lol. My hair transitioned from natural white blonde to a pretty mild strawberry blonde during my teen years (though kept darkening after that to my current hair color). It always has been very curly, though I think it was a bit finer during my earlier teen years. My teen years were 2005-2011. I don't think that I went according to any hair styles during that time period. I just left my hair as long and trimmed it every now and then.

callahanwade
May 16th, 2016, 12:02 AM
My hair when I was a teen was fairly thin and very frizzy. It was naturally dark blonde/light brown and I had those chunky 00's highlights. I washed my hair everyday, wore it down all the time, and straightened it when I wanted it to look nice since that was the only thing that made the frizz look better. I usually kept it at mid-back length and at its longest it was about BSL, but it was frustratingly thin at that length.

MlleMC
May 16th, 2016, 11:02 AM
I got a long pixie at 10, and then grew it out for four years, so in my early teens, I was around hip length with no layers at all. My hair was much curlier then (probably 2c), and I barely ever used heat at the time. But I brushed it out pretty often. It wasn't really in style, all the other girls wore shorter and layered flat-ironed hair (mid 00's), and some of them put quite a lot of pressure on me to cut and iron it. Here's a picture from when I was 13:
http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp1/mclairel/0curls.jpg

My mother also encouraged me to do it, so I ended up cutting it back to BSL at 14, and adding a little layers. On my 15th birthday, I received a flat iron, and I started using it fairly regularly, though I started growing my hair again. I was still getting pressure to cut it shorter, and I finally gave in six months later. I got a chin-length cut with a lot of layers and side bangs. It looked good, and surprised everyone (I even literally saw someone's jaw drop!), but I hated that it required me to flat-iron it all the time (or so I thought). It was the only fashionable hairstyle I ever had though.

When I grew it out again, I started alternating between flat-ironing and using mousse to enhance the waves. After that, I fell into a pattern of growing my hair for a year to a year and a half, and then cutting it back to chin. This lasted until I got my last cut at 19. This picture was taken when I was 16, I think it was the shortest I got after the pixie at 10:
http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp1/mclairel/0court.jpg

nakima
May 16th, 2016, 12:19 PM
I was a teen in the 70's grew my hair hip length and where I am from nobody my age wore their hair long, at 19 a friend of mine talked me into cutting it and I ended up with the feather cut and it was just below shoulders. Then I kind of kept going back and forth between that and long hair. I did do a few perms in the 80's like the infamous spiral that on me when brushed looked like a fro and not a good one lol! one I never did rock was the punk look of the 80's but a few friends did ha! I sure miss those days sometimes :) Great thread!

lapushka
May 16th, 2016, 03:55 PM
This picture was taken when I was 16, I think it was the shortest I got after the pixie at 10:
http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp1/mclairel/0court.jpg

I think it looks cute, though! :o Even though I *love* my long hair, and long hair on others, I do like short "cute" cuts as well, and this is one of them!

MlleMC
May 17th, 2016, 08:42 AM
I think it looks cute, though! :o Even though I *love* my long hair, and long hair on others, I do like short "cute" cuts as well, and this is one of them!

Thanks, I did like this one a lot, except for the fact that I couldn't put it up. I worked in a fast food restaurant that summer, and I had to tuck the ends in a large headband to fit it under my net.

genlilliana
May 17th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Like a lot of people who've already posted in this thread, I grew up in the 80s and early 90s. As a young child, I wasn't allowed to grow it much past shoulder length because my mom didn't know what to do with long hair, but once I was old enough to deal with my own hair, Mom pretty much went hands-off as long as I did in fact take care of my hair (kept it clean and combed/brushed, etc.).

In my senior photos (which were taken summer 1992; my senior year was the 1992-1993 school year), my hair is long enough that it's out of frame (it was between BSL and waist), and my bangs are curled and frozen with much hairspray into the poofy curly thing we did back then, LOL. My daughter laughed at the hairdos in my yearbook around the time her own senior photos were taken. I laughingly told her, "You wait twenty years or so; you'll look back and wonder why you did that to your hair or why you wore those clothes!" My mother agreed. (There's a girl in Mom's senior yearbook [1966] whose beehive is so tall it's out of frame, no lie.)

OMG! That sounds so much like my hair story! My parents cut my hair boy short every year until I was about 13-14 and finally said no. My mom used to say it was my dad's insistence...but I later found out that it had nothing to do with him and everything to do with my mother not wanting to deal with my log (thick) hair. This applied to all three of us girls...

Anyways, I too graduated in '93. I chopped my hair down that year to shoulder length because it was long and damaged from sun in. Yes, I tried to sun in my hair and it turned orange. In the mid-late 80's I had lots and lots of high bangs and was sad that AquaNet was ruining the ozone so I switched to pump hairsprays which never quite worked the same.

My daughter thinks I look silly in my old pics...and horrible in my younger (short) hair days. This is why I allow her to do whatever she pleases with her hair - keep it long, try it short, color it all, color it a little...right now she has a small patch of hair across the base of her neck area that is rainbow (I color it for her) so she can hide it during school (uniform, rules...) and put it up when she can. You're only young once!

AZDesertRose
May 17th, 2016, 09:31 AM
OMG! That sounds so much like my hair story! My parents cut my hair boy short every year until I was about 13-14 and finally said no. My mom used to say it was my dad's insistence...but I later found out that it had nothing to do with him and everything to do with my mother not wanting to deal with my log (thick) hair. This applied to all three of us girls...

Anyways, I too graduated in '93. I chopped my hair down that year to shoulder length because it was long and damaged from sun in. Yes, I tried to sun in my hair and it turned orange. In the mid-late 80's I had lots and lots of high bangs and was sad that AquaNet was ruining the ozone so I switched to pump hairsprays which never quite worked the same.

My daughter thinks I look silly in my old pics...and horrible in my younger (short) hair days. This is why I allow her to do whatever she pleases with her hair - keep it long, try it short, color it all, color it a little...right now she has a small patch of hair across the base of her neck area that is rainbow (I color it for her) so she can hide it during school (uniform, rules...) and put it up when she can. You're only young once!

OMG, were we separated at birth? I also Sun-In'd my hair orange (at age twelve, around 1988 )!

My daughter is a young adult now (I actually gave birth to her early in my senior year of high school--not recommended, although she's awesome), and nobody's seen her natural hair color (which was blonette last anyone knew) in a good decade. It's currently a silvery blue and about BSL/mid-back, which looks super cool, and she is having fun with it, so that's the important part. :D

pili
May 17th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Sorry for this being so small, but here is my senior year picture. It was taken in October of 1993. I believe back then I did mouse and combed it with a wide tooth comb and then let it air dry. I believe my hair was somewhere between BSL and APL when dry and had long layers.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23024&d=1463429385

ETA: This thread made me go dig this out.

spidermom
May 17th, 2016, 10:57 AM
Nice pili. I wish more people were posting pictures.

lillielil
May 17th, 2016, 11:13 AM
90s for me as well. I never fully embraced any of the trends. My hair mostly just.... was. I grew it to around BSL and then cut it above shoulder length a few times. I didn't blowdry or style it, other than putting it up in a very specific scrunchie bun while it was damp to fight the frizz and get predictable waves.

1997 (age 15) this was on my leaner's permit
I was definitely wearing huge jeans in this photo but they certainly were not JNCOs because I was not that cool. I may have been wearing platform jelly sandals, which would explain the scowl.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/geobabe/1997_zpsvzc9c6cz.jpg

1998 (age 16) I got a senior picture in the yearbook, even though I had no plans to graduate that year
My shirt came from a thrift shop and I was probably wearing bowling shoes. My lipstick in this picture was Jane brand and tasted like cinnamon (megabites?)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/geobabe/sr%20pic_zpsoylcwgoj.jpg

1999 (age 17) Senior picture, second time around
I showed up to this photoshoot wearing a black velvet V-neck T-shirt, and was mad as hell that I had to change into a black velvet V-neck drape that was mostly open in the back. Also, not smiling because of braces and angst.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/geobabe/seniorpic_zpsnchrhnqb.jpg

Year/age unknown (but high school for sure) - this is what my hair looked like on a daily basis when it was longer. I think it is about the same length now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/geobabe/2000_zpsoukvrba7.jpg

After that I cut it off into a very short pixie and immediately started growing it out again

AZDesertRose
May 17th, 2016, 01:50 PM
Nice pics, y'all. I'm just peeking in for a few minutes, but later when I have more time, I'll go find some of mine for us all to giggle over! :D

lapushka
May 17th, 2016, 02:49 PM
1998 (age 16) I got a senior picture in the yearbook, even though I had no plans to graduate that year
My shirt came from a thrift shop and I was probably wearing bowling shoes. My lipstick in this picture was Jane brand and tasted like cinnamon (megabites?)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/geobabe/sr%20pic_zpsoylcwgoj.jpg

You have gorgeous eyes. They remind me of my dad's. My dad's are a more icy blue, though, but still. Very pretty!

lillielil
May 17th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Thank you! Still not 100% sure what color they are :)

poli
May 17th, 2016, 10:49 PM
Late 80's and 90's, the perm fad missed me by couple of years. When I was allowed to mess with my hair I cut it short and bleached the hell out of it. I think I wanted to be Annie Lennox but ended up as a yellow chicken. Then I put henna in it and stayed orange till it grew out. As for haircuts I loved pixies and bobs.

Ellethwyn
May 17th, 2016, 11:01 PM
I grew up in the 90's. When I was 13 I cut my hair into a chelsea cut ( bangs and a buzz cut) and I dyed it black, and then blue, pink, red, and bleached it.

Llama
May 20th, 2016, 07:02 PM
Deleted (deleted)

lithostoic
May 20th, 2016, 08:16 PM
Still a teen til August. 14 was just highlights, 15 I started doing colors and razoring my hair. I think I was 16 when I decided to grow out my layers again. Dyed it for the last time at age 17 and it was with veggie dye so it washed out. I still have quite a bit of bleach and dye in my hair, which I'm growing out to have only my natural color.

rhyebud
May 20th, 2016, 08:27 PM
I was a teenager from 1999 to 2005. My hair was always really long. I would dye it colors, but I never knew how to style it so it always looked quite plain. I think it was in pretty bad shape. My family was always hassling me to cut it shoulder length. Occasionally I did, but it would grow wickedly fast and be at BSL in no time. I think it would rebel after the haircuts because it wanted to be long :)

zombienomph
May 20th, 2016, 08:35 PM
It's only been about 5 years since I was a teen, but now that I'm thinking about it I really wasn't as wishy washy with my hair styles as people thought I was! I experimented a lot with color, sure. I would throw in little bits of different rainbow colors every few months, but for the first half of my teens the cut I wore was generally in a Stevie Nicks-esque style, and then from 16 up I wore a very a-line bob usually in orange and white. I've actually been keeping a chart where I draw the most distinct hairstyles I've had over the years.

Shepherdess
May 20th, 2016, 11:03 PM
I love the pictures everyone! It is so nice seeing what everyone was like when younger!! :flower:

lillielil , I love that shirt! Great picture!

rosey4exclaim
May 20th, 2016, 11:39 PM
My hair was long mostly, except for when I chopped it off Junior year. I was in junior high and high school in the early 2000's, when butterfly clips and straighteners were in style. Yeah, I did them both. I wanted hair like Marsha Brady, long and straight. All my friends were dying their hair black, though, and I never did. I wanted to, but I didn't want to look like half my other friends. So I saved that for ten years later when I was 27. ;) I think I wore it down or in a ponytail most of the time. Silly me; no wonder it was so damaged!