PDA

View Full Version : Messy buns?

Ailurophile
May 13th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Okay so I've had hair from collarbone length to hip length and I have never in my life managed a messy bun!!! I know they are probably not the best for preventing breakage but they are cute! I literally have tried so many tutorials and I just cannot for the life of me work it out, anyone know good ways to do one?:confused::confused::D:D

lapushka
May 13th, 2016, 01:10 PM
I'm classic length. I can do a messy bun, probably, with some effort... but not without totally tangling up my hair. So: no thank you!

Qz
May 13th, 2016, 02:15 PM
While many of my buns become messy, I don't intentionally do messy buns although I did see one tutorial video where the lady teased her hair and sprayed it to stick that way before winding it up, but her hair was very short by my standards (just about shoulder length I think) so it wasn't like teasing a long ponytail would be then trying to wind that up... For every step she teased and sprayed the heck out of it with hairspray, which I think is actually what made her messy bun successful. I can't imagine the nightmare of getting all that hairspray out and getting rid of the teasing rats either, not my cup of tea for sure.

Entangled
May 13th, 2016, 02:16 PM
For a truly messy bun, wad your hair up in a ball and then randomly wrap a hair elastic around it. That's how I've seen it done. It seems to be easier with curly hair.

meteor
May 13th, 2016, 02:19 PM
Okay so I've had hair from collarbone length to hip length and I have never in my life managed a messy bun!!! I know they are probably not the best for preventing breakage but they are cute! I literally have tried so many tutorials and I just cannot for the life of me work it out, anyone know good ways to do one?:confused::confused::D:D

I think there are many ways to understand and approach a messy bun. A lot depends on how exactly you want it to look. Many people do a "looped bun" - like a half pulled through ponytail with an elastic, but that's not really hair-friendly. But really, anything sort of voluminous or based on fluffed out, "pancaked" braids can probably work.

With your length, I would start off with textured hair (overnight heatless curls/waves) for a softer, less sleeked back look, and then do something like a sectioned bun: bun the nape hair and do twists (fluff them up a bit) and fluffed up/pancaked braids from hair in the front or sides/temple area and pin them to the back, sort of using the bun like a cushion. It works well if you combine different braids together (e.g. fishtail, rope braids, English braids, etc...)

You can also release some face-framing strands or kind of "lift", loosen up some scalp area hair by using a hairstick/chopstick/end of a rattail comb.

Another way to go is to use a large claw-clip to do a simple half-up and then wrap the length loosely around the half-up/claw-clip, for example, something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clVvf7EzyY0

Also, you might want to check out the Melisandre bun/half-up tutorials for some ideas for creating some messy buns, e.g. by torrinpaige: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hz56vHAdVs , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIH7UqJzdk4 or ladollyvita333: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmY6qBQnHW4 Kayley Melissa also does lots of messy buns on her YT channel.

I hope you'll find something that works. :D

Anje
May 13th, 2016, 02:30 PM
I've determined that the best way to make a messy bun, for me, is to wear a braid hanging down til it's all scruffy, then bun it. ... of course, that's more the bedraggled longhair cat look than the effortlessly chic look, but it's not librarian either. :D

PixieP
May 13th, 2016, 03:50 PM
My go to messy bun I don't think is too bad on the hair.

Make a ponytail. Take your pony, and slightly twist the entire length. Wrap it losely over the base of the ponytail. Pull the ends a little bit tighter so they are hidden under the rest of the hair. Pin the ends, and put a couple of pins around the rest. Now, slowly start pulling on it, so that it gets puffier. Secure with more bobby pins.

It gives my thin hair a bun like this:

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1978693_10153207353331830_5987542571264149041_n.jp g?oh=835fffef5e10c008edd48281f660fc82&oe=579EBD7A
(sorry that's the only picture I have that's not from the front)
This isn't the messiest it's been. But basically it ends up looking like a fluffier, messier sock bun. My hair was between BSL and waist when that picture was taken.

Spray the lengths with dry shampoo before making a pony if your hair is prone to collapsing or being very slick. You can also slightly tease the lengths with a BBB; before twisting the pony, slowly pull the BBB from the ends upwards. If I do tease it, I usually only do the top half of the pony though, since my ends are pretty fragile. Don't do it rough, I find I get enough tease by just pulling it slowly up.

Another way I have seen, but that doesn't work with my hair (too thin). Again, do the ponytail. Then split your hair in two, and twist them loosely around each other. Grap a teeny tiny strand near your ends (just a couple of hair strands), hold on to that strand, and pull the rest of the hair up towards the ponytail. Pin it down. You can put in a few pins and then do the pulling on it to poof it more up. If your hair is very thick, split your pony in two, and then do that method on each half of the hair. Take the few strands you used to pull the hair up, and tuck them under and fasten with a bobby pin.

LadyCelestina
May 14th, 2016, 02:38 AM
I make a sort of nautilusey creation with the ends sticking out... basically you make the loop and wrap the ends around a bit but not quite, then pull them through the loop. But my hair is curly that's why it looks messy :D

MlleMC
May 16th, 2016, 10:11 AM
I can do something similar to PixieP's bun, but otherwise the only way I can manage messy hairstyles is to do my hair the night before and sleep on it! :lol:

lapis_lazuli
May 16th, 2016, 10:32 AM
I never do a traditional messy bun but my go to style is a LWB. I wear it for up to a week before redoing it and it becomes messy by the second day. :p So I wear this look the majority of the time. ;)

Goddessa
May 16th, 2016, 11:49 AM
In either to make my messy bun that everyone oh-so-loves, I literally just take all my unbrushed, unwashed hair in a bunched fist and tie an elastic around it, then MAYBE if I am feeling extra fancy I will put a few pins in it to spread it out. If it's really dirty/tangled/whatever then it makes a pretty big poofy bun on it's own though. So glamorous!