PDA

View Full Version : Awesome hair side effect of becoming a vegan!

stachelbeere
May 12th, 2016, 07:47 AM
I haven't been on the forums for quiet a while - life is happening :) But I've been wanting to share this tidbit of anecdotal information about my hair.

Since I've gone vegan my hair doesn't get oily anymore - in fact my sebum became more... 'waxy'? That means that I don't have to wash my hair as often as I used to (at least every 3 days)
In January or so I've started 'dabbling' with a plant based diet and I was noticing that when I eat animal products (especially meat) my hair would become oily the next day. I've been a eating wholefoods plant-based diet for a few months and yeah, I can easily stretch washes for a week and I have fine hair! Yay!

Hope this helps someone - happy growing :D

morrigan*
May 12th, 2016, 08:10 AM
That's nice to hear. It's great that it works for you :)

When i tried to omit how much meat i ate it didn't have any effect. Rather it helped when i omitted processed food and fried food. I think it's more how the food itself it's prepared and processed than necessarily meat that affect oil production and healthy skin. Also i noticed when i omitted fat my hair and skin looked worse than now when i eat avocados and butter.

lapushka
May 12th, 2016, 08:14 AM
I have no interest in omitting meat from my diet. :shrug: YMMV. I'm a chronic pain patient, on quite some meds, and I need a good strong diet. Not that I'm discounting other ways of eating, but to me, meat and a full rounded diet is still *it*.

It's awesome that you are now able to stretch washes. :thumbsup:

vampyyri
May 12th, 2016, 08:19 AM
I wish I had this reaction when I became a vegetarian a year ago, my hair/oil just doesn't seem to care :lol:

That's awesome that you can stretch washes for so long!

browneyedsusan
May 12th, 2016, 09:08 AM
I'm glad eating vegan agrees with you! I don't care to go that route, but that's just my preference.
For me, it seemed to be exercise. When I ramped up the activity, my hair seemed to grow faster. (Although the appetite and calorie intake also throttled up!) I'm touching up my roots all the time, now!
I grew up on a farm, so usually eat pretty "clean". (I just learned that it was a thing, and there was a name for this thing. I always thought it was "eating like you've got a lick of sense", or "eating food that looks like it did when it was alive". Silly me!) Weekends are off the table though. That is time to enjoy the empty nest and mess around with friends! :beercheer:

Hairkay
May 12th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Good for you finding what works for you. I on the other hand need the oil for my hair (WO washer) and scalp so eating fish and meat is best for me.

Arctic
May 12th, 2016, 10:35 AM
I didn't have that particular effect, but it's a :thumbsup: that you had!

Cg
May 12th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Always good to hear when someone's hair benefits from controllable conditions!

Though I eat lots (and I do mean LOTS) of nuts and oily fish, my fine, sparse hair appears able to go indefinitely without shampoo (I've been WO for a long time but very occasionally oil the ends). I attribute good health hair to healthful diet (other than too many nuts), lots of water, exercise, and enough rest. I'd like to claim these choices are due to good character, but in fact, they were all medically required. Still... positive results in the hair.

Everyone's chemistry is unique, so continue whatever works for you!

stachelbeere
May 12th, 2016, 01:21 PM
I'm glad eating vegan agrees with you! I don't care to go that route, but that's just my preference.
For me, it seemed to be exercise. When I ramped up the activity, my hair seemed to grow faster. (Although the appetite and calorie intake also throttled up!) I'm touching up my roots all the time, now!
I grew up on a farm, so usually eat pretty "clean". (I just learned that it was a thing, and there was a name for this thing. I always thought it was "eating like you've got a lick of sense", or "eating food that looks like it did when it was alive". Silly me!) Weekends are off the table though. That is time to enjoy the empty nest and mess around with friends! :beercheer:

I agree with the "clean" eating thing - I've been raised on wholefoods that had always been cooked from scratch (chips and other junk foods were a rare treat in my family) I've always aspired to eat as well as I could and I'm glad I can even monitor the intake of nutrients on sites like cronometer.com - that really helped. My hair not getting oily was just a really great side effect to all the other benefits :D

I wish I had this reaction when I became a vegetarian a year ago, my hair/oil just doesn't seem to care :lol:

That's awesome that you can stretch washes for so long!

Interesting - I guess everyone has a different body chemistry :shrug:

I have no interest in omitting meat from my diet. :shrug: YMMV. I'm a chronic pain patient, on quite some meds, and I need a good strong diet. Not that I'm discounting other ways of eating, but to me, meat and a full rounded diet is still *it*.

It's awesome that you are now able to stretch washes. :thumbsup:

To each their own. And oh well, less shampoo, more benign neglect for me yay :D

That's nice to hear. It's great that it works for you :)

When i tried to omit how much meat i ate it didn't have any effect. Rather it helped when i omitted processed food and fried food. I think it's more how the food itself it's prepared and processed than necessarily meat that affect oil production and healthy skin. Also i noticed when i omitted fat my hair and skin looked worse than now when i eat avocados and butter.

That is not the case with me - sometimes I do eat fried foods (such as fries, onion rings etc) but it doesn't really have a huge impact on the oiliness - if anything it becomes more waxy? There is major difference that I noticed.

Good for you finding what works for you. I on the other hand need the oil for my hair (WO washer) and scalp so eating fish and meat is best for me.

Oh wow! When I was doing WO some years ago I couldn't make it work because my hair would become waxy after a few washes and I had to restart it with egg yolk washes or shampoo. Oil was my fiend...

I didn't have that particular effect, but it's a :thumbsup: that you had!

absolutely!

Always good to hear when someone's hair benefits from controllable conditions!

Though I eat lots (and I do mean LOTS) of nuts and oily fish, my fine, sparse hair appears able to go indefinitely without shampoo (I've been WO for a long time but very occasionally oil the ends). I attribute good health hair to healthful diet (other than too many nuts), lots of water, exercise, and enough rest. I'd like to claim these choices are due to good character, but in fact, they were all medically required. Still... positive results in the hair.

Everyone's chemistry is unique, so continue whatever works for you!

Same here - for me it started off with some issues regarding my metabolism that were decreasing the quality of my life a bit... which is what got me to the point where I'm at right now - and I'm really happy about it and feel really good :)