PDA

View Full Version : Advice for calming down super-greasy hair?

vampyyri
May 11th, 2016, 09:00 AM
My hair is truly a greasy mess... I naturally have super-oily skin that I can calm down, but I can't seem to get the oil on my head to do the same.

My routine is probably where I am going terribly wrong, so I'll give you guys the run-down to see what I need to change:

Morning: I usually shower in the morning, and I use Nature's Gate Aloe Shampoo and Conditioner, and I switch the conditioner out for Loreal's Mega Moisture hair masque every once in a while. I have to shampoo every day, and when it gets really bad I use a clarifying cheap-o V05 shampoo to get my hair back to... normal-ish.
For days that I press the snooze button too many times, I spray dry shampoo in my hair (Dove) and go.

While it's drying: I apply a concoction of products on my hair post-shower: CHI Silk Infusion, Macadamia Healing Oil, and Loreal Mega Works All-in-One treatment, from the shoulders down. I use a Tangle Teaser on my hair to detangle it, and I continue brushing through it as it air-dries otherwise it ends up being a tangled mess.
I usually wear my hair down as it dries, but I've started to bun it more often once it's mostly dry.

Before bed: I only just started braiding my hair at night, and I use a silk pillow case currently... which I feel is making the problem worse. I keep on waking up with a oil slick for hair... :shrug: I've been changing it out twice a week.

What am I doing wrong? This is driving me nuts! I've dealt with it my whole life, but it's so much more frustrating the longer my hair gets. I'm also a dirty-blonde, so the appearance of grease doesn't help it look any less...dirty.

Arctic
May 11th, 2016, 09:08 AM
The only thing that has worked for me is ageing! And it's nothing dramatic even now; I can comfortable go about 1,5 day. I still wash mostly daily, maybe 5 days a week.

lapushka
May 11th, 2016, 09:27 AM
While it's drying: I apply a concoction of products on my hair post-shower: CHI Silk Infusion, Macadamia Healing Oil, and Loreal Mega Works All-in-One treatment, from the shoulders down. I use a Tangle Teaser on my hair to detangle it, and I continue brushing through it as it air-dries otherwise it ends up being a tangled mess.
I usually wear my hair down as it dries, but I've started to bun it more often once it's mostly dry.

If I'm not mistaken that's 2 serums. Overload. Just a leave-in and one serum (tiny droplet) is enough. I use a coin size amount of leave-in and serum (and gel) for classic length hair. If it's shorter, you need waaay less.

Some people just can't stretch washes. It's not *bad* to wash every day. To get that out of the way. And I see nothing whatsoever wrong with your routine.

If you use sulfates, you might need them. Some people can go sulfate-free or start CO-washing, but I'm not one of them. I have oily hair (need to wash at least 2/3 times a week normally) and seborrheic dermatitis. I was only able to start stretching washes after reaching BSL (length often helps) and I have managed to stretch to a week.

All things to try. Some oily scalps benefit from going sulfate free, others... not so much.

Don't try it all at once though, or you won't know what hit you! Try sulfate-free first, then if that works try and stretch your washes. If that puts a status-quo on the situation, well there you go. You can't stretch. With anything.

pailin
May 11th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Some people find if they keep stretching the time between washes, it gets better. Mine doesn't.

One thing you didn't say is how you use your s and c. Do you put conditioner on from the scalp down, or only from about ears down? If you put it on even up around your scalp it will tend to cause more greasiness.
I don't know anything about your current shampoo, but for me, it was also helpful to switch to a relatively harsh shampoo, a silicone free one which is clear (ie not the creamy ones which are intended to be moisturizing).

vampyyri
May 11th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Try sulfate-free first, then if that works try and stretch your washes. If that puts a status-quo on the situation, well there you go. You can't stretch. With anything.

The current shampoo I'm using is sulfate-free—maybe that's part of my problem? When I use a clarifying shampoo, my hair is not as greasy the next day. I've always been told that washing your hair every day with sulfate shampoos is the worst thing that you can do to your hair... or have I been misled?

lapushka
May 11th, 2016, 09:51 AM
The current shampoo I'm using is sulfate-free—maybe that's part of my problem? When I use a clarifying shampoo, my hair is not as greasy the next day. I've always been told that washing your hair every day with sulfate shampoos is the worst thing that you can do to your hair... or have I been misled?

Big myth. It's about what your hair wants not about what you want for your hair, that's my motto!

Sulfates aren't bad at all, and if your hair and scalp tolerate them well and you have positive effects with it, keep using them. I also have to use the dryer, harsher sulfates because that's the only thing that keeps my SD (seborrheic dermatitis) under control. I just keep my ends well moisturized. But if you don't have that much length yet, it should be fine just with plain conditioner.

vampyyri
May 11th, 2016, 09:52 AM
The only thing that has worked for me is ageing!

According to my sister who is 11 years older than me, it's not looking good :justy: (she's has classic length hair and suffers with it as well)

One can hope... :pray:

Some people find if they keep stretching the time between washes, it gets better. Mine doesn't.

One thing you didn't say is how you use your s and c. Do you put conditioner on from the scalp down, or only from about ears down? If you put it on even up around your scalp it will tend to cause more greasiness.
I don't know anything about your current shampoo, but for me, it was also helpful to switch to a relatively harsh shampoo, a silicone free one which is clear (ie not the creamy ones which are intended to be moisturizing).

Whoops, I did forget that part. I shampoo just the roots, and let the lather clean the rest of my hair as it rinses out. Then I put conditioner on from the shoulders down, and a tiny amount on the ends of my side-swept bangs.

Big myth. It's about what your hair wants not about what you want for your hair, that's my motto!

Sulfates aren't bad at all, and if your hair and scalp tolerate them well and you have positive effects with it, keep using them. I also have to use the dryer, harsher sulfates because that's the only thing that keeps my SD (seborrheic dermatitis) under control. I just keep my ends well moisturized. But if you don't have that much length yet, it should be fine just with plain conditioner.

Interesting... because I was always told that if you strip your hair of all of its oils, that it tries to overcompensate for oil production (is this also a myth??). I thought that was my main issue, so I switched to a gentler shampoo and it got worse, and I thought it would calm down eventually.

pailin
May 11th, 2016, 10:14 AM
Interesting... because I was always told that if you strip your hair of all of its oils, that it tries to overcompensate for oil production (is this also a myth??). I thought that was my main issue, so I switched to a gentler shampoo and it got worse, and I thought it would calm down eventually.

I think for many people this is true. Just not for everyone.
For example, the gentler shampoos make my scalp itch.

Nique1202
May 11th, 2016, 10:30 AM

For some people, greasiness is overcompensation. That's why stretching washes by half a day at a time works for so many folks, and why sulfate-free makes some folks' hair much happier. For some of us, though, if we don't get every scrap of the old sebum off the roots of the hair, it's just gonna come back twice as fast and twice as greasy. (Case in point, my hair right now after not massaging my shampoo into the roots as thoroughly as usual last wash.)

There's very little in the hair care world that's going to work for ALL people ALL the time. If using sulfates made your scalp less grease-prone, just make sure your ends stay moisturized. Also, try to use a shampoo with a minimum of oils or conditioning agents in it, since you don't need conditioning on the parts that get greasy.

Stepo_NiNha
May 11th, 2016, 10:45 AM
I would suggest scalp only washes (even if it's just on the top of the crown to desguise the oil for some hours; something quick that you can do in the sink.)

And as Lapushka said, harsh sulfate shampoos are not that bad. I myself love aqualight and clarifying Pantene shampoos (do you find any harsher shampoo? :D)

I found that on my scalp the oil production is more related to the way you rub your scalp while washing and spreading the shampoo than the sulfate/sulfate free issue.

If you do circles with your fingers you'll see your hair will be oilier.

Hope this helps!

ETA: You wash your hair everyday so scalp only washes that I've mentioned are probably not for you.

I think one serum with be enough, otherwise you'll have build up. Build up also gives a greasy appearance

lazuliblue
May 11th, 2016, 10:54 AM
You said you use a tangle teezer to detangle...is that after you've put the serums on? Because it might be that if you are then de-tangling from the roots, you are spreading the serum further up you hair and onto your scalp, which might make it greasier.

vampyyri
May 11th, 2016, 11:21 AM
You said you use a tangle teezer to detangle...is that after you've put the serums on? Because it might be that if you are then de-tangling from the roots, you are spreading the serum further up you hair and onto your scalp, which might make it greasier.

This is a very good point, as this is exactly what I do. I never thought of it that way... :doh:

lithostoic
May 11th, 2016, 11:22 AM
By brushing your hair after applying those products you're letting them get right onto your scalp. Especially by your roots that's a recipe for oil.

Whoops lazuliblue beat me to it lol.

vampyyri
May 11th, 2016, 11:33 AM
For some people, greasiness is overcompensation. That's why stretching washes by half a day at a time works for so many folks, and why sulfate-free makes some folks' hair much happier. For some of us, though, if we don't get every scrap of the old sebum off the roots of the hair, it's just gonna come back twice as fast and twice as greasy. (Case in point, my hair right now after not massaging my shampoo into the roots as thoroughly as usual last wash.)

There's very little in the hair care world that's going to work for ALL people ALL the time. If using sulfates made your scalp less grease-prone, just make sure your ends stay moisturized. Also, try to use a shampoo with a minimum of oils or conditioning agents in it, since you don't need conditioning on the parts that get greasy.

Thanks for the advice! It's going to take a while for me to disregard all of the "do this or else your hair will suck FOREVER" advice. I've been following the "suggested" way of hair care, and it's good to know that there's no right or wrong way, and that it's all a personal thing.

On another note... I must say, your job title "Urban Myth Buster" is extremely accurate :grin:

By brushing your hair after applying those products you're letting them get right onto your scalp. Especially by your roots that's a recipe for oil.

Whoops lazuliblue beat me to it lol.

I still can't believe I didn't put two and two together before...!! Shaaaame haha :oops:

lapushka
May 11th, 2016, 12:28 PM
The last time I detangle is before putting my styling products on, after that, I just leave it alone. Might be good to try.

Try and adapt your routine a bit in the next few days. See what it's like with the sulfate shampoo, see if you can stretch by a day and try and do that for a number of weeks before taking any other step. Baby steps.

Lavendersugar
May 11th, 2016, 12:45 PM
I'm a very oily person. I can tell you non-sulfates shampoo make me very oil very fast. I have to limit any after products. No way I could use a true serum. Using two products I'm going to get greasy.

Dove oxygen moisture and Pantene classic clean keep the oil at bay at least until the next morning. Dry shampoo always makes it worse for me. I like Suave but for some reason I can still get greasy fast. I use Kenra to clarify as it is the only one I've found to really remove things. When you are naturally oily it attracts more gunk.

As for after products look at United 7 seconds spray. It's pricey but no more than the several products combined that you are using. It's a 10 lite leave-in version is a runner up.

Silk pillow cases caused me more issues because it does not absorb oil. I prefer soft all cotton pillow cases. I have one that I'm not sure of the thread count but it's 100% cotton and feels almost silky. There's no drag for my hair and wear it in a super high loose ponytail at night. My ends look great.

Skipping washes never worked for me. Oh man and trying to wash out that oil build up was horrible. I think some of us are just oily. Especially if all your skin is oily too. I rarely use lotion because of the feel. Aveeno sheer is all I can use.

lapushka
May 11th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Skipping washes never worked for me. Oh man and trying to wash out that oil build up was horrible. I think some of us are just oily. Especially if all your skin is oily too. I rarely use lotion because of the feel. Aveeno sheer is all I can use.

Try and use a toner instead of a moisturizer sometime, or before moisturizer. Witch hazel is particularly good for oily skin (see to it that it doesn't contain alcohol though).

vampyyri
May 11th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Silk pillow cases caused me more issues because it does not absorb oil.

This explains why my hair is a greaseball in the morning, even if I shower before bed. Somehow I thought that they caught oil and redistributed it to the rest of the hair... I really don't know where I keep hearing these weird things from. Thanks LHC for opening my eyes to all of this!

renia22
May 11th, 2016, 03:59 PM
I'm not a fan of sulfate free shampoos, but I find that even if I use a more cleansing shampoo paired with conditioners that contain a lot of natural oils/ butters, my hair gets greasy a lot faster. Maybe try a more cleansing shampoo and just a regular conditioner, without the oils, and see what happens? You might find that regular drugstore products aren't as "harsh" as one would think, they really are formulated to be more gentle these days, with a variety of ingredients to offset the cleansing properties, unless you are buying something specifically labeled "clarifying".

I can tell you that at the moment I'm using Nutrine unscented garlic shampoo and conditioner, and my hair is so clean and residue free, with barely any tangling or shedding, it actually looks good the next morning, which for me almost never is the case. Short ingredient list, simple formulas. Sometimes that's best if hair tends to be greasy. You can always add a serum to the ends if need be. Good luck.

lillielil
May 11th, 2016, 04:07 PM
How do you calm down your oily skin? Can you use the same method on your scalp?

What works for me is contrary to just about everything, so please take it only as an anecdote. Washing my face with oil makes it less oily. When I remember to do it regularly (nightly), my skin actually starts to fee a little too dry, which is something I have never experienced before in my 34 years. So now I'm experiment with oil on my oily scalp. Of course because there is hair involved it isn't as easy, but I'm oiling my scalp once or twice a week before washing. Afterwards, I typically shampoo twice (either sulfate-free or not - haven't found a difference personally), then apply conditioner from the ears down. I haven't found the perfect balance yet, but it doesn't seem to be hurting at all and may be helping. I'm able to use more of the products that my ends like, and am not quite as disgusted by my 2nd day hair. I still wash most days, but it isn't quite as urgent.

Salt mixed into shampoo also helps, and I try to do that once every 1 or 2 weeks.

vampyyri
May 11th, 2016, 04:27 PM
How do you calm down your oily skin? Can you use the same method on your scalp?

I control my oily skin with an oil control foundation... If only it was that easy with hair!!

vampyyri
May 11th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Update! Picked up Suave clarifying shampoo and Pantene Ice Shine conditioner (because I've seen many rave about it), I've never been so excited to shower! :P

Vanilla
May 11th, 2016, 07:23 PM
I struggle with this as well. I'm able to get away with showering and washing my hair every other day or every 3rd day, but not usually much longer.

What I find helps the most:
Using a shampoo brush in the shower. They're usually about $1.00 at Sally's. They have small plastic nubs on them that help to get the shampoo in every single crevasse on your scalp.

Limited serums/leave ins. I stopped using oil entirely on my hair now that I've switched back to using cones. I'll use a small amount of kinky curly knot today as a leave in, comb my hair and braid it. I'll let it dry braided, and I try to handle it as little as possible after it is dry.

No silk cap/silk pillowcase for me if I want to stretch washes past the 2nd day. I'll braid it at night to protect it from sleeping. If I want to keep my natural texture, I'll use a silk sleep cap, but I know that I am sacrificing a day to stretch washes.

vampyyri
May 11th, 2016, 10:03 PM
I never thought of combing shampoo through, that's a really good idea! I feel like never end up getting all of my roots clean when I shampoo (semi fine hair, but tons of it).

I usually just use my tangle teaser or a wide toothed comb for distributing conditioner, but I never thought of using a brush for shampoo as well!

Simsy
May 12th, 2016, 12:07 AM
Possibly sounds counter-productive, but I oil mine. I found after a couple of weeks of being oiled on a regular basis, most of the oil production calmed right down. Keeping it restrained also worked wonders for getting the scalp to slow down the oil production.

tiffycakes
May 12th, 2016, 03:39 AM
Have you tried a shampoo bar? I used to have to wash my hair everyday when I was using sulphates, but when I switched to a shampoo bar, I could go four days before my hair would get greasy.

lapushka
May 12th, 2016, 06:21 AM
Have you tried a shampoo bar? I used to have to wash my hair everyday when I was using sulphates, but when I switched to a shampoo bar, I could go four days before my hair would get greasy.

She's now experimenting with the harsher sulfates, to see if the oil is kept at bay longer. It's not the same for everyone. YMMV. :)

vampyyri
May 12th, 2016, 08:15 AM
I did a test by showering at night with a clarifying shampoo in the roots only, and a heavy-cone conditioner from the shoulders down. My hair seemed to take well to it as it dried, and it dried a lot shinier and smoother than usual (didn't need to put my usual "concoction" in right after squeezing the water out of my hair). I ditched my silk pillowcase for a cotton one, and woke up with my usual poofy not-so-smooth morning hair which was remedied by using a serum/oil and my leave-in conditioner... and there was very minimal oil in the roots!

Normally if I showered at night with my other routine and a silk pillowcase, my roots would be plastered to my head... great improvement! :happydance:

lapushka
May 12th, 2016, 09:05 AM
That's amazing! :D Woohoo. :cheer:

When I scalp wash (because it's been a week), I focus the shampoo on the hair up to the ears, because the sebum has traveled down in that week. The rest is for my conditioners. Yes, I condition twice (but I have classic length and so drier lengths).

Lavendersugar
May 16th, 2016, 05:32 PM
I did a test by showering at night with a clarifying shampoo in the roots only, and a heavy-cone conditioner from the shoulders down. My hair seemed to take well to it as it dried, and it dried a lot shinier and smoother than usual (didn't need to put my usual "concoction" in right after squeezing the water out of my hair). I ditched my silk pillowcase for a cotton one, and woke up with my usual poofy not-so-smooth morning hair which was remedied by using a serum/oil and my leave-in conditioner... and there was very minimal oil in the roots!

Normally if I showered at night with my other routine and a silk pillowcase, my roots would be plastered to my head... great improvement! :happydance:

Yay!!!!!!! That's so great!!! I'm so glad you finding a good routine. I hope things continue to be positive.

I wanted to clarify on my post that if I use suave naturals I only have issues if I use after products.

I've found after products cause me issues. I'm just a really oily person. Plus I touch my hair a lot. Just can't help myself. Sulfates are not my enemy at all. Now oils, those dry out my hair. Go figure.

nekosan
May 16th, 2016, 09:49 PM
Ah, I never heard about satin pillowcases possibly making hair greaser!
I put a fresh cotton terry cloth towel on my pillowcase to sleep, to absorb some of my self-produced facial oils and help control breakouts. (I didn't have acne until I turned 19, and it hasn't stopped since.) Don't know what it does to my hair, but i'm happy with the taming of the acne, so it stays.