PDA

View Full Version : Sulfur- where to find it and how to use it

suicides_eve
March 21st, 2008, 11:01 AM
I have been reading a bit about the use of Sulfur to promote hair growth and was looking through a list of sulfur products and decided i would rather make my own .
Where could i find it at and how do you use it?
i understood there is a limit on how much should be used topically i belive it was no more then 7% sulfur

ChloeDharma
March 21st, 2008, 02:44 PM
If you go to a beauty supply store they sell tubs of sulphur for use in face masks for acneic skin. So you could buy it there....i remember seeing them in Sally's years ago. I'm glad you asked this though as i've often thought about it but never got further than that.

I'll be really interested in your results so please do keep us posted?

birdiefu
March 21st, 2008, 07:31 PM
You would be looking for sublimated sulfur or 'flowers of sulfur' (or sulphur as the spelling can go either way). You can find this at most pharmacies if you ask, or online. You might find some at wiccan or other alternative sites as ritual powders. Sublimated sulfur is dispersible in oil, but will settle after sitting for a time, so shake it up before using. If you are looking for water-soluble sulfur, that is MSM (and this is white, the other sulfur is yellow), but it is best used orally and not topically.

For usage rate, it is usually used at 5-10% for topical use. Make sure this is by weight, not volume. You can mix it with whatever oils, infusions, and/or EOs you like too- as long as it's an oil base and the sulfur doesn't exceed 10%.

suicides_eve
March 22nd, 2008, 06:55 AM
Fanastic thanks for replying ChloeDharma and Birdiefu

Kirin
March 22nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
i've heard about sulphur too and wondered if it would do anything. I've been eyeing a product in the ethnic section called "sulphur 8", wonder if i should give it a shot.

jojo
March 22nd, 2008, 06:07 PM
to make your own get some MSM pills, empty them into a mixture of castor oil and olive oil (or any other oil) and mix, this is all these sulfur oil mixes are!

or alternatively mix 3 egg yokes, mix with a little oil of your choice and apply to your head! yokes are rich in sulfur too!

jojo
March 22nd, 2008, 06:08 PM
You would be looking for sublimated sulfur or 'flowers of sulfur' (or sulphur as the spelling can go either way). You can find this at most pharmacies if you ask, or online. You might find some at wiccan or other alternative sites as ritual powders. Sublimated sulfur is dispersible in oil, but will settle after sitting for a time, so shake it up before using. If you are looking for water-soluble sulfur, that is MSM (and this is white, the other sulfur is yellow), but it is best used orally and not topically.

For usage rate, it is usually used at 5-10% for topical use. Make sure this is by weight, not volume. You can mix it with whatever oils, infusions, and/or EOs you like too- as long as it's an oil base and the sulfur doesn't exceed 10%.
oops didnt read first, great minds think alike!

suicides_eve
March 22nd, 2008, 09:59 PM
i've heard about sulphur too and wondered if it would do anything. I've been eyeing a product in the ethnic section called "sulphur 8", wonder if i should give it a shot.

OMG stay away from that stuff. That is actually what got me started on the whole sulfur thing. I got to reading about ppl having good hair growth from it went out and got some- it's vasoline with sulfur mixed in it:disgust:, that crap left my hair so greasy i had to use dawn soap and mmt treatments to get my hair back in shape lol:rant: