PDA

View Full Version : Video: How to increase the detangling properties of your conditioner.

lapushka
May 10th, 2016, 02:31 PM
This video says to add either a little bit of honey, olive oil or sweet almond oil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAR1u5OJJGA

CoveredByLove
May 10th, 2016, 02:37 PM
Great vid! :thumbsup: Tresemme Naturals + Honey is still my go to deep conditioner. With honey added to it, the slip is off the charts! I love it. :)

Edit: I've been using it for probably close to two years now...so yeah. Its great.

lapushka
May 10th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Great vid! :thumbsup: Tresemme Naturals + Honey is still my go to deep conditioner. With honey added to it, the slip is off the charts! I love it. :)

Edit: I've been using it for probably close to two years now...so yeah. Its great.

And you never even once shared your "secret" with us. Shame on you! :) ;) :p

CoveredByLove
May 10th, 2016, 03:14 PM
And you never even once shared your "secret" with us. Shame on you! :) ;) :p

LOL! Actually I did! Somewhere on a thread a couple months ago...I think someone was asking about favorite deep conditioners. I swear! :scared: Don't kill me! :p No but seriously, this trick really does work. I love me some honey.

lapushka
May 10th, 2016, 03:19 PM
LOL! Actually I did! Somewhere on a thread a couple months ago...I think someone was asking about favorite deep conditioners. I swear! :scared: Don't kill me! :p No but seriously, this trick really does work. I love me some honey.

Hahaha. LOL. All in good fun. ;)

school of fish
May 10th, 2016, 03:31 PM
Ooohh... I am intrigued! CoveredByLove how much honey are you adding to how much conditioner? Do you mix it up each time you condition or just add some right into your conditioner bottle to a certain proportion?

littlestarface
May 10th, 2016, 03:39 PM
I thought everyone did this? I do honey every time I put conditioner on, it's the only way to get smooth, clean and soft hair for me.

CoveredByLove
May 10th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Ooohh... I am intrigued! CoveredByLove how much honey are you adding to how much conditioner? Do you mix it up each time you condition or just add some right into your conditioner bottle to a certain proportion?

I eyeball everything. lol I would say I use about 2-3 tablespoons of honey in about 1/4 cup of conditioner and just mix it up right before I use it. Then I slather all of it on my hair, put a shower cap and a heat cap on for 15-20 minutes. A-mazing. Its great without the heat cap just to use as regular conditioner, but for a deep treat, the heat cap with it is the way to go for me. Try it! And let us know how you like. :)

littlestarface
May 10th, 2016, 03:48 PM
I eyeball everything. lol I would say I use about 2-3 tablespoons of honey in about 1/4 cup of conditioner and just mix it up right before I use it. Then I slather all of it on my hair, put a shower cap and a heat cap on for 15-20 minutes. A-mazing. Its great without the heat cap just to use as regular conditioner, but for a deep treat, the heat cap with it is the way to go for me. Try it! And let us know how you like. :)

Yep me too, I love my heat cap it is a god send for my hair.

school of fish
May 10th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Not everyone ;) I have the annoying combination of slippery, tangly hair - yep it is a thing, haha! It builds up so quickly though and won't tolerate oils aside from drops using the rinse-out method - even then I have to be ultra careful about not overloading, it happens on a dime!

I like the sound of this because its water soluable, so shouldn't (hopefully) stick around for days on my hair like oils do :p I'll be giving this a try - would love to hear peoples' proportions :)

school of fish
May 10th, 2016, 03:53 PM

Aaahh.. okay so you're leaving your conditioner on a lot longer than I am - but then your texture's quite different from mine so that totally makes sense to me :)

Thank you for this! I'm a daily washer so I'll throw a little honey into tomorrow's conditioner and report back!

CoveredByLove
May 10th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Not everyone ;) I have the annoying combination of slippery, tangly hair - yep it is a thing, haha! It builds up so quickly though and won't tolerate oils aside from drops using the rinse-out method - even then I have to be ultra careful about not overloading, it happens on a dime!

You're not alone...I have very build up prone hair. I can't use "moisturizing" shampoos and most shampoos intended for curly hair because of it. I don't use a lot of oils. My hair actually likes sulfates :)

school of fish
May 10th, 2016, 04:01 PM
You're not alone...I have very build up prone hair. I can't use "moisturizing" shampoos and most shampoos intended for curly hair because of it. I don't use a lot of oils. My hair actually likes sulfates :)

Mine too! Suphate shampoo for me twice a week, conditioner every single day :D I just can't stretch washes, the buildup is just too grizzly, haha!

I'm super intrigued to try this now! Thank you so much!

meteor
May 10th, 2016, 04:01 PM
Yes, it's a good trick to boost effectiveness of conditioners that are too light or lack slip. :agree: I very often add oils/butters or honey or both oil + honey to my conditioners, especially to the ones that aren't effective enough on their own.
Ratios depend, but I tend to use a lot more honey than oil (e.g. 1 tbsp of honey, 1/2 tsp of oil), as it's easy to overdo it with the oil.

Also, when I do honey+oil pack as a pre-wash treatment, I add a bit of conditioner to make it easier to work with. And when I do gelatin mask or other protein treatments, I add honey and oil for good measure: it makes the protein pack more moisturizing and eliminates the need for moisture treatment after protein for me.

littlestarface
May 10th, 2016, 04:04 PM
Good thing about honey is it helps clean your hair as well.

school of fish
May 10th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Good thing about honey is it helps clean your hair as well.

You guys are making this sound better and better... ;)

school of fish
May 10th, 2016, 04:58 PM
Yes, it's a good trick to boost effectiveness of conditioners that are too light or lack slip. :agree: I very often add oils/butters or honey or both oil + honey to my conditioners, especially to the ones that aren't effective enough on their own.
Ratios depend, but I tend to use a lot more honey than oil (e.g. 1 tbsp of honey, 1/2 tsp of oil), as it's easy to overdo it with the oil.

Also, when I do honey+oil pack as a pre-wash treatment, I add a bit of conditioner to make it easier to work with. And when I do gelatin mask or other protein treatments, I add honey and oil for good measure: it makes the protein pack more moisturizing and eliminates the need for moisture treatment after protein for me.

I'm sure I've seen the honey-in-conditioner thing around the forum here and there - for some reason it's just hit my radar this time :) My regular conditioner is Pantene Ice Shine so there's no lack of slip there, that said I like to maximize the slip as much as possible. I wear my hair down pretty much all the time, so updo grip isn't really something I have to factor in ;)

My hair's texture is finicky - the strands are very fine and smooth, yet they are very tangly. Freshly combed or brushed out it looks and feels like silk, but as soon as the strands move around at all they become cobwebby - the look still is silky but the feel becomes cotton-candy-like. My hair does NOT like to be sectioned - just like pulling apart a spiderweb, that's precisely how it behaves. And yet oils, silicone serums and my own sebum all just build up on the strands, weigh them down and make them feel sticky and look terrible, even in minute quantities. My hair likes moisture - SMTs do nice things for it. I guess that means in a way I've kind of been doing this already now that I think of it, since there's honey in the SMT... :p

I appreciate all the extra info! Even though I have what I feel is an excellent routine for me, I do like to keep my mind open and try new things if they sound like they might be a good addition - so now I'm extra excited to give this a try! :D

littlestarface
May 10th, 2016, 05:07 PM
You guys are making this sound better and better... ;)

Its great, I dont even know how I lived before honey. Without it my hair feels god awful was rough, dry and looked damage even tho its not.

I dont have measurements or anything I just put a palm full of conditioner on my hand and then add honey using my finger and then mix it up in said hand and then apply it to my hair. If I feel like I need more honey I just rub some in my palms and smooth it in my hair.

Breanna
May 10th, 2016, 05:36 PM

I do this exact same thing with the same conditioner!! :D

school of fish
May 10th, 2016, 05:41 PM
Its great, I dont even know how I lived before honey. Without it my hair feels god awful was rough, dry and looked damage even tho its not.

I dont have measurements or anything I just put a palm full of conditioner on my hand and then add honey using my finger and then mix it up in said hand and then apply it to my hair. If I feel like I need more honey I just rub some in my palms and smooth it in my hair.

Perfect! Sounds easy and straightforward - exactly the way I like to keep my hair routine ;) Thabks so much!

CoveredByLove
May 10th, 2016, 05:44 PM
I do this exact same thing with the same conditioner!! :D

That's awesome! :D Made my day! It's always good to know you're not the only one. :p Isn't it such a great combo?! It has aloe in it, so I suppose it's *almost* like a SMT when you add honey.

BTW: I love your hair stick in your siggy!

lapushka
May 11th, 2016, 09:44 AM

I like the sound of this because its water soluable, so shouldn't (hopefully) stick around for days on my hair like oils do :p I'll be giving this a try - would love to hear peoples' proportions :)

Watch the video to see what a tiny amount she uses!

vampyyri
May 11th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Isn't honey known for lightening hair color as well? Or would a teaspoon not cause any change?

lapushka
May 11th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Isn't honey known for lightening hair color as well? Or would a teaspoon not cause any change?

If you heat it up in the microwave for a bit it loses the lightening properties, you could always do that (same as for an SMT).

school of fish
May 11th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Reporting back!

Well - honey really does give the conditioner some nice slip, doesn't it? :D

In all honesty I didn't notice a super dramatic difference (Pantene Ice Shine, my daily conditioner, is pretty slippy in and of itself) but the honey did indeed change the texture on application and I feel helped the conditioner rinse out really really well, which my hair needs. Combing out damp was a little easier than usual too. It felt very nice, I liked it.

I eyeballed the proportion - mixed about a raspberry-sized amount of honey into a marshmallow-sized amount of conditioner. The raspberry-in-marshmallow seemed like a good ratio ;)

I'll be sticking with this for a bit and seeing how it does for me over time, but the initial result is looking good!

Thank you lapushka for posting the video, and all of you for chiming in with your experiences - this community is awesome! :D

Daydreamer.
May 12th, 2016, 03:40 AM
Reporting back! Well - honey really does give the conditioner some nice slip, doesn't it? :D In all honesty I didn't notice a super dramatic difference (Pantene Ice Shine, my daily conditioner, is pretty slippy in and of itself) but the honey did indeed change the texture on application and I feel helped the conditioner rinse out really really well, which my hair needs. Combing out damp was a little easier than usual too. It felt very nice, I liked it. I eyeballed the proportion - mixed about a raspberry-sized amount of honey into a marshmallow-sized amount of conditioner. The raspberry-in-marshmallow seemed like a good ratio ;) I'll be sticking with this for a bit and seeing how it does for me over time, but the initial result is looking good! Thank you lapushka for posting the video, and all of you for chiming in with your experiences - this community is awesome! :D I'd like to give this a try, too! Thanks for sharing your experience!

school of fish
May 12th, 2016, 05:18 AM
I'll also add that after it dried it felt a little silkier and detangling throughout the rest of the day felt a little easier too :)

CoveredByLove
May 12th, 2016, 01:11 PM
Thanks for reporting back! :D I'm glad you liked it! Try it with a heat cap sometime when you're due for a deep treatment!

lapushka
May 12th, 2016, 01:19 PM
I'm more inclined to add the oil, but then it's just like the rinse-out oil method, just a little heavy-handed. Hmm, have to think about it some more... :hmm:

school of fish
May 18th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Sigh... well after a few days of adding honey to my conditioner I've decided I have to abandon the practice - at least for right now.

There are lot of things I like about it - added slip, extra silky texture once my hair's dry - but it's doing things I don't like either. It takes out any fluff or volume and encourages its tendancy to stringiness in the thinner ends from about mid-back down. It's clumping the ends and compressing them together so they look a lot more see-through and ropey than they actually are. On top of it, I'm finding pairs of hairs are really wanting to stick together, as if they have bits of glue on them - my hair is prone to this naturally (yes I do rinse thoroughly - it's not a rinsing issue ;) ), but the honey addition just seems to amplify this effect. So while the silky texture after detangling is lovely, the detangling is actually harder and I feel more likely to incur damage.

I can see how different textures might really respond beautifully to this - I can imagine how some people might find that this really tames frizz, helps clump curls nicely, smoothes the strands to make combouts easier - but since these aren't issues for me they actually end up working against what I'm going for.

Perhaps when my mid-back fullness has traveled down to my hemline I'll give this another try - more bulk at the hem might eliminate the issues so I can enjoy the benefits - but until that happens I'm going to keep the honey off my hair ;)

Still, I love trying new things from time to time :D

Horrorpops
May 18th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Yes!!! I love adding coconut oil, Rosehip oil or honey to my conditioner if I feel like an extra kick! :o A convenient deep conditioning method as some other people have mentioned as well! That's actually pretty much the ingredients to my modified SMT - remove aloe, add an oil and it is good to go.

I don't have a problem with build-up even though my hair is fine. I do limit the amount of oil added otherwise I find my hair is still greasy after I rinse it out.

lillielil
May 18th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Hmmm... I may have to try adding honey since my hair is a frizz disaster. I'm really worried about it lightening my hair if I use it regularly, though.

Horrorpops
May 18th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Hmmm... I may have to try adding honey since my hair is a frizz disaster. I'm really worried about it lightening my hair if I use it regularly, though.

I use honey in my hair at least fortnightly and it hasn't lightened it yet so fear not! Apparently microwaving the honey/ heating it up for 30 seconds kills whatever enzymes make the peroxide and thus remove the lightening properties from honey. :o I know a lot of peeps use that for the SMT to remove any chance of colour change.