PDA

View Full Version : Advice : take care of your scalp issues to avoid hairloss!

LadyCelestina
May 10th, 2016, 05:32 AM
http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.sk/2015/10/why-dandruff-could-be-causing-hairloss.html

At first I was like, meh. It's normal to have some dandruff and itchies few days after washing. And I use shampoo so of course I have some flakes right after washing, it's drying my scalp, right? I should really do oil massages more.

Wrong.
I had mild dandruff since I don't remember when. They never seemed oily, so I did the standard advice of not overdoing it with shampoo and applying treatments such as oil or acv. I've also tried to co-wash, thinking that I must be doing something wrong or not sticking with it until my hair gets used to it or what.
Last autumn, I managed to sucessfuly co-wash for about a month. Ocassionaly used gentle shampoo with coconut oil. My scalp didn't go nuts, but it itched and flaked very quickly after wash. Then I started shedding a lot. Again, I didn't attribute it to not taking care of my scalp issues. I thought it's stress or bad diet, after all my hair was pretty clean (as in non greasy) after washing. My hair has thinned a lot from when I joined here, I went from almost iii to solid ii, and last autumn I was positive that my hair is actually thin and I was just lying to myself when I measured it before!

Then for some reason, I bought an anti-dandruff shampoo with salycilic acid and started using it daily. I saw an immediate improvement, but what is more important - months after taking this decision,plus some antifungal treatments, I LOOK LIKE A DANDELION FROM ALL THE NEW HAIRS GROWING IN! Wooohooo!

summergame
May 10th, 2016, 05:44 AM
I'm very happy for you that you've got new hairs! What is the name of your shampoo that you are using? :)

lapushka
May 10th, 2016, 05:51 AM
I'm very happy for you that you've got new hairs! What is the name of your shampoo that you are using? :)

It's not the shampoo that is making her hair grow, it's the dandruff and the CO-washing that thinned it out, so now she's taking care of the dandruff properly, the hair is growing back. It's not as if the shampoo is making her hair grow, if that makes sense? :flower: I know you are desperate for a means to get your hair back, summergame. I do understand that.

LadyCelestina
May 10th, 2016, 06:15 AM
It was Balea Kopfhaut control, it's fairly new I think (never noticed it before) and is a light blue bottle. I don't know what issues with shedding you have, summergame, but lapushka is right - the shampoo played a role in a way that it cleared up the dandruff which made my hair grow. ETA: and I have seen people on the forum struggling with dandruff the way I did (w. treatments for 'dry scalp',) that is why I made this post

lapushka
May 10th, 2016, 06:41 AM
I'm so glad you figured it out, LadyCelestina! :) There's quite a few people who complained in the past of CO-washing thinning their hair out and causing it to shed more - it's a "thing"! So be careful with that.

summergame
May 10th, 2016, 07:48 AM
It was Balea Kopfhaut control, it's fairly new I think (never noticed it before) and is a light blue bottle. I don't know what issues with shedding you have, summergame, but lapushka is right - the shampoo played a role in a way that it cleared up the dandruff which made my hair grow. ETA: and I have seen people on the forum struggling with dandruff the way I did (w. treatments for 'dry scalp',) that is why I made this post

I'm so sorry for misreading your post LadyCelestina!! Even I am very happy for you that you have found a good routine for your dandruff!
Again, sorry for misunderstanding. I was to obsessed with my own hairloss....

pili
May 10th, 2016, 08:01 AM
That's great that you have new growth!

lapushka
May 10th, 2016, 08:29 AM
I'm so sorry for misreading your post LadyCelestina!! Even I am very happy for you that you have found a good routine for your dandruff!
Again, sorry for misunderstanding. I was to obsessed with my own hairloss....

It was me who pointed it out. :o I'm so sorry, summergame! I know how much it hurts to not have an answer to your own worries. :flower: I meant no offense by pointing this out.

MsPharaohMoan
May 10th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Ummmm okay I've been having basically the same thing except I haven't had detectable hair loss (haven't been measuring consistently). Flakes in clean hair and clean scalp! What the heck? I thought it was because I wasn't rinsing well enough but it's like I could scritch all day and the flakes keep. coming. Does this sound at all similar? You've inspired me to consider an anti dandruff shampoo... Thanks for the update!

Silverbrumby
May 10th, 2016, 11:01 AM
I had a good 1/2 inch ponytail loss because i tried stretching washes, CO, putting oil on scalp. It's mostly fixed now. Started with 2.75 ponytail, dropped to 2.25 now back to 3.2 ish.

parkmikii
May 10th, 2016, 12:31 PM
I had increased shedding from dandruff or scalp flakes. I used neem oil mixed with tea tree on my scalp for a while and after a month or so my shedding got back to normal. I'm not advising anyone to try this, it's just what helped my scalp and everyone is different :)

LadyCelestina
May 10th, 2016, 12:48 PM
Thank you people for being kind :) I am also very happy about the new growth, and it's totally hard to believe.

MsPharaohMoan, I didn't have a big shed until last autumn either. I just went from quite thick hair to not so thick, very slowly,over time. When I first started to treat my scalp for the dandruff, it never occurred to me that the gradual thinning could be related to dandruff... I mean yes it is written in the article where I first learned about shedding from dandruff that a symptom is hair that is gradually thinning, but I just kind of ignored it. Only now when I have these baby hairs I'm starting to think that maybe I might be able to regain some of that thickness I had before. But maybe not, and it's okay :)

And yes your scalp sounds very similar! Scritching or trying to comb the flakes out does nothing but create more flakes. If you decide to try the anti dandruff shampoo or any other treatment don't get discouraged if you don't see results after one wash. I didn't either, but now I have no flakes at all.

parkmiiki, that's awesome, and I would say that it is advisable for anybody to try and adress their scalp issues in a way that works for them :) Tea tree is a pretty strong antifungal. Not sure about the neem oil as I'm not familiar with it.

meteor
May 10th, 2016, 01:03 PM
LadyCelestina, that's a great story and such a great reminder to take scalp health very seriously! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Tea tree is a pretty strong antifungal. Not sure about the neem oil as I'm not familiar with it.
Yep, neem is a pretty strong anti-fungal, too. :) And (unlike tea tree oil) it's a carrier oil, so it's not necessary to dilute it.

Ummmm okay I've been having basically the same thing except I haven't had detectable hair loss (haven't been measuring consistently). Flakes in clean hair and clean scalp! What the heck? I thought it was because I wasn't rinsing well enough but it's like I could scritch all day and the flakes keep. coming. Does this sound at all similar? You've inspired me to consider an anti dandruff shampoo... Thanks for the update!

I'd say, it's never a bad idea to address this issue seriously. :) Even if it's only a minor case of flakiness, personally, I'd definitely use an anti-fungal, anti-dandruff shampoo or treatment anyway. :flower: I think, the worst that can happen with a good quality dandruff shampoo is that it can make hair temporarily dry, but that's easy to fix.
But scritching for a long time and still seeing flakes coming off sounds like pretty serious dandruff. Could be symptomatic of SD or some other skin condition. If the shed cells are building up like that, it might help to use some exfoliating ingredients (like Salicylic acid), as well as anti-fungals (like Ketoconazole).

CoveredByLove
May 10th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Thank you so much for this thread! :blossom: I read your link to LongHairAtHeart's site and I can totally relate to having dandruff issues but not seeing visible flakes. I was sort of in denial for a while that I had a problem, because I wasn't seeing flakes. Yet, when I would gently scratch my scalp, tons of dead skin cells would be under my nails (TMI I know). Sometimes, they were yellowish in appearance. My hair shed...a lot. My scalp issues began earlier last year during hormone issues, so I thought the shedding was because of that and stress...which it was. But I'm pretty sure the dandruff issue made things worse! I would use Head & Shoulders for a week and quit, because it didn't seem to help. It wasn't until I STAYED on it for over a month that my scalp completely cleared and my shedding began to lessen. I still have to use it to keep my scalp clear. Thanks again, LadyCelestina, for this thread! Now that my scalp has balanced, I'm expecting to regain my thickness. :)

lapushka
May 10th, 2016, 01:18 PM
Yeah, your scalp is really key. I had a period in my teens and early 20s when my SD barely existed. It has returned with a vengeance though, and I regularly started to have bouts of it in my 20s and 30s, until I discovered that harsh sulfates and cleaning the scalp super well helps hugely. Major discovery only of the last decade. You live, you learn. You adapt constantly.

Jadestorm
May 10th, 2016, 01:43 PM
I'm so happy you found what was causing your problems LadyCelestina!
I hope you'll find out what's causing yours too Summergame.

KittyBird
May 11th, 2016, 03:20 AM
That sounds like me. I've always thought my scalp was just dry, but maybe it could be something more than just that. I also have tiny flakies in clean hair, and I can scritch a lot and it just never stops flaking. I have had hair loss, I've lost more than an inch of my circumference, but the shedding thankfully stopped. It doesn't feel like I have enough regrowth to regain the hair I have lost though.. I'm definitely going to try a dandruff shampoo, mainly to see if it helps with the flakies. If I get more regrowth, it's just a bonus.

Dommydomdom
May 11th, 2016, 05:11 AM
So great to hear that you have found a solution to your problem! I have a very very itchy spot on top of my head (near the front of my hairline) but no dandruff...it's only come about in the last year or so. So I wonder if it could be because I am WO? What kind of anti-dandruff would you recommend? Like regular, old Head and Shoulders? Or something more...I dunno...medical?

LadyCelestina
May 11th, 2016, 12:48 PM
So great to hear that you have found a solution to your problem! I have a very very itchy spot on top of my head (near the front of my hairline) but no dandruff...it's only come about in the last year or so. So I wonder if it could be because I am WO? What kind of anti-dandruff would you recommend? Like regular, old Head and Shoulders? Or something more...I dunno...medical?

Itchy spot could be anything and well since it could be anything, I don't want to give you bad advice...

When I picked the antidandruff shampoo, I was looking for something with salycilic acid because I thought exfoliating my scalp sounds good. I asked my doctor for dandruff treatment and she said the prescription she normally gives is not suitable for long hair because it stinks, but gave me a sulfur+salycilic acid shampoo.

LadyCelestina
May 11th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Also, I'm very glad that you people found this thread helpful :flower: Having dandruff is viewed like such a normal thing that even after being interested in haircare for such a long time, the article was something completely new and eye-opening.

mz_butterfly
May 11th, 2016, 01:05 PM
I read this as: "Take a PIECE of your scalp to avoid hairloss!" haha That would be a bit counterproductive.

AmberJewel
May 11th, 2016, 01:09 PM
After reading this I went and CWC washed my hair with Head and Shoulders shampoo. My scalp is so much happier now! I always felt bad using it before because it's so drying, so I tried a CO wash yesterday. It didn't turn out well and my head was itching all morning! I've been having a pretty significant shed lately, but I'd never attributed it to the itchies. I don't like the idea of washing my hair EVERY day though. Is it alright to make it every other day?

Arctic
May 11th, 2016, 01:12 PM
After reading this I went and CWC washed my hair with Head and Shoulders shampoo. My scalp is so much happier now! I always felt bad using it before because it's so drying, so I tried a CO wash yesterday. It didn't turn out well and my head was itching all morning! I've been having a pretty significant shed lately, but I'd never attributed it to the itchies. I don't like the idea of washing my hair EVERY day though. Is it alright to make it every other day?
Your scalp will tell :)

lapushka
May 11th, 2016, 02:05 PM

Some people shed huge amounts on CO! It is a "thing", so do be careful. CO washing isn't better than regular shampooing. Whatever your hair and scalp is happiest with, it's best to stick to!

Hailwidis
May 11th, 2016, 02:34 PM
Ugh, scalp issues... My main worry at the moment. I'm really super busy (with the last stretch of my MA thesis) and I am on a tight budget so I'm putting off a visit to my GP because it seems silly just to go for dandruff. But... the flakes! so many! so visible!

My flakes are tiny, white and dry. They show up in great numbers right after a wash, as soon as my hair has (air) dried. After that, there'll always be a few around my part, but they're less obvious. My scalp is mildy itchy. It doesn't bother me most of the time, but if I focus on it it does itch a bit. It's not crazy though, I can easily resist it.

No big, yellow or greasy flakes. No redness or bumps, scalp is its usual pale self.

I don't know whether to try a dandruff shampoo (if I have dry scalp that'll only make it worse), oiling to hydrate (if it's not dry scalp but dandruff that'll make matters worse), tea tree, or what...

At least I'm not shedding (in fact, since I changed shampoos and routine in March I have les smallest amount of shed I have ever had in my whole life).

lapushka
May 11th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Ugh, scalp issues... My main worry at the moment. I'm really super busy (with the last stretch of my MA thesis) and I am on a tight budget so I'm putting off a visit to my GP because it seems silly just to go for dandruff. But... the flakes! so many! so visible!

My flakes are tiny, white and dry. They show up in great numbers right after a wash, as soon as my hair has (air) dried. After that, there'll always be a few around my part, but they're less obvious. My scalp is mildy itchy. It doesn't bother me most of the time, but if I focus on it it does itch a bit. It's not crazy though, I can easily resist it.

No big, yellow or greasy flakes. No redness or bumps, scalp is its usual pale self.

I don't know whether to try a dandruff shampoo (if I have dry scalp that'll only make it worse), oiling to hydrate (if it's not dry scalp but dandruff that'll make matters worse), tea tree, or what...

At least I'm not shedding (in fact, since I changed shampoos and routine in March I have les smallest amount of shed I have ever had in my whole life).

Better to go to your GP rather than spend money on products that might possibly be all wrong. Just go!

Silverbrumby
May 11th, 2016, 03:27 PM
I spent two years trying to get my scalp to accept what I thought was good for it. It turns out it likes to be washed every 3 days, keep the conditioner below the ears. Use anti fungal style shampoo or at least sulfates. I lost 1/2 inch off my ponytail by ignoring itcy, flaky scalp.

AmberJewel
May 11th, 2016, 05:03 PM
Same here. I'm afraid to measure my thickness because I know it'll be thinner than last time! But I've been losing hair almost constantly: every wash a lot comes out, every time I comb it more come out (even if it's just after washing and combing in the shower), when I braid it after that I lose a few more hairs, etc. It never ends!

Thanks to everyone in this thread for convincing me to do what the scalp wants rather than what I think is best for the length.
(But I still intend to be very careful with the length.) :)

lapushka
May 12th, 2016, 06:57 AM
When I have bouts of SD (seborrheic dermatitis) - been a long time ago now, I notice my hair comes out more as well. So it is key to really treat it (Nizoral 2% in my case), and it helps *hugely*.

languagenut
May 12th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Same here. I'm afraid to measure my thickness because I know it'll be thinner than last time! But I've been losing hair almost constantly: every wash a lot comes out, every time I comb it more come out (even if it's just after washing and combing in the shower), when I braid it after that I lose a few more hairs, etc. It never ends!

Thanks to everyone in this thread for convincing me to do what the scalp wants rather than what I think is best for the length.
(But I still intend to be very careful with the length.) :)

That sounds like me! And so does the post about yellow dead skin under the fingernails — eww. Sometimes when my scalp is itchy and I keep scratching it because I have no self-control, I actually get scabs on my scalp; this can't be good! I'll have to look into what I can do about treating it.

Theobroma
May 12th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Hmm, this thread is interesting.

I've never had issues with excessive shedding (except when I was stupid enough to CO, when I'd lose huge wads in every wash but was able to rationalise it because of all the people in the CO washing threads saying things like "it only looks like a lot because "). But I've had scalp flakes ever since I can remember.

My scalp [I]never itches, though. And dandruff shampoos have always been completely useless, and in fact the last few I tried gave me more flakes -- seems that the harsher the shampoo, the flakier my scalp gets! I have far fewer flakes ever since I started washing with soap, but I still have some. Think I'll try adding some tea tree oil to my soapy lather for a while to see if it does anything.

AmberJewel
May 12th, 2016, 03:14 PM
Okay, another newbie question: if stronger, more regular shampooing gets this under control do I have to keep doing it forever? Or can I then go back to stretching washes? Death to Fungus!! :luke:

lapushka
May 12th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Okay, another newbie question: if stronger, more regular shampooing gets this under control do I have to keep doing it forever? Or can I then go back to stretching washes? Death to Fungus!! :luke:

Depends. You'll have to see. If it's under control, and you stretch and it starts back up again, maybe try washing a tad more (after it's back under control). I'd not try and stretch too far, too fast. Go slow after it's back under control.

Adorkable One
May 12th, 2016, 05:01 PM
I've had dandruff for as long as I can remember and I have no idea what causes it. Back when I washed my hair every single day, with shampoo, I would have terrible dandruff. My scalp would be so dry and flaky right after a shower. Eventually I started using Head and Shoulders, and it totally cleared up my dandruff. Once I was good, I'd go back to using fancier shampoos.

These days, I only wash my hair once a week, and I don't ever use shampoo. I only use shampoo after I bleach my hair. Despite not over washing my scalp, I still get dry skin and dandruff right after a shower. In this instance, it makes me totally confused what causes my dandruff, because whether I shampoo a lot or a little, it makes no difference. I just don't want to go back to using shampoo.

renia22
May 12th, 2016, 08:54 PM
^ Since the dandruff shampoo was helping, it sounds like it was in fact dandruff, and not dry scalp. Here's an article that explains the difference:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2014/06/dandruff-and-dry-scalp-whats-the-difference-the-beauty-brains-show-episode-33/

Various treatment options:
http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/08/8-ways-to-fight-dandruff-and-itchy-scalp/

Hailwidis
May 13th, 2016, 02:10 AM
I've never had issues with excessive shedding [...] But I've had scalp flakes ever since I can remember.

My scalp never itches, though. And dandruff shampoos have always been completely useless, and in fact the last few I tried gave me more flakes -- seems that the harsher the shampoo, the flakier my scalp gets! [...] Think I'll try adding some tea tree oil to my soapy lather for a while to see if it does anything.

I'm basically the same. Except I still use a (mild-ish?) shampoo, not soap. No shedding, no redness, no inflamation. I'd love to say no itchyness (that was the case until very recently) but for the last few weeks I've been mildly itchy at times (mostly when I think about my scalp.

I also have extremely dry skin on my body, which I moisturise. Since I'm not moistrurising my scalp, I'm tempted to think it's dry scalp, just as I have dry skin.

But I agree Lapushka, I should just see a GP and bring it up. I'm a student with no income so I can't justify going to a GP just for them to say, yes, you have dry skin. I already know that. So I'm waiting to have another reason to go and then I'll kill two birds with one stone.

On a related note: what is the gentlest, mildest shampoo you know? (no harsh ingredients like SLS etc.)

nalgena
May 13th, 2016, 03:53 AM
I have just recently discovered Ketoconazole shampoo and boy it has changed my life! No more dandruff, no more itching that drove me crazy and no more scalp tenderness. I have also noticed less shedding, especially since my shower drain has hardly any hair in it anymore, which is the most surprising and unexpected benefit. I'll have to wait for a while to see whether my hair is going to gain any thickness, but I not in my wildest dreams could I ever think that a shampoo can make such a difference, it has literally been years since my scalp has been this non-itchy.

lapushka
May 13th, 2016, 04:22 AM
But I agree Lapushka, I should just see a GP and bring it up. I'm a student with no income so I can't justify going to a GP just for them to say, yes, you have dry skin. I already know that. So I'm waiting to have another reason to go and then I'll kill two birds with one stone.

On a related note: what is the gentlest, mildest shampoo you know? (no harsh ingredients like SLS etc.)

If you can get Urtekram where you live (the rose one is very nice), then get that. They come in bigger and smaller bottles. But they are not the cheapest.

lapushka
May 13th, 2016, 04:24 AM
I have just recently discovered Ketoconazole shampoo and boy it has changed my life! No more dandruff, no more itching that drove me crazy and no more scalp tenderness. I have also noticed less shedding, especially since my shower drain has hardly any hair in it anymore, which is the most surprising and unexpected benefit. I'll have to wait for a while to see whether my hair is going to gain any thickness, but I not in my wildest dreams could I ever think that a shampoo can make such a difference, it has literally been years since my scalp has been this non-itchy.

Yeah. Tried it all for my SD and when I discovered Nizoral (2%), it's like a whole world opened up to me. :lol: The itch, the redness, and then these huge flakes. Gah. It's been years since I had a major flare-up. Sometimes at the end of the week I'll have small flaking on my temples, but there's no itch or redness, so a regular harsh sulfate usually takes care of that.

Dommydomdom
May 13th, 2016, 04:33 AM
Itchy spot could be anything and well since it could be anything, I don't want to give you bad advice...

When I picked the antidandruff shampoo, I was looking for something with salycilic acid because I thought exfoliating my scalp sounds good. I asked my doctor for dandruff treatment and she said the prescription she normally gives is not suitable for long hair because it stinks, but gave me a sulfur+salycilic acid shampoo.

Yeah, I understand your hesitance. But thanks anyway! :)

nalgena
May 13th, 2016, 04:39 AM
Yeah. Tried it all for my SD and when I discovered Nizoral (2%), it's like a whole world opened up to me. :lol: The itch, the redness, and then these huge flakes. Gah. It's been years since I had a major flare-up. Sometimes at the end of the week I'll have small flaking on my temples, but there's no itch or redness, so a regular harsh sulfate usually takes care of that.

Well Lapushka, it was actually one of your posts (I don't remember which thread) that made me aware of and prompted me to buy this shampoo, I have tried every other possible shampoo&remedy before trying this one and not one has helped, in fact many has made my condition even worse. I had scabs on my scalp because of scratching! Shampoo with ketoconazole is quite expensive but a little goes a long way and it's worth every single penny.
So Lapushka - THANK YOU!!

lapushka
May 13th, 2016, 05:00 AM
Well Lapushka, it was actually one of your posts (I don't remember which thread) that made me aware of and prompted me to buy this shampoo, I have tried every other possible shampoo&remedy before trying this one and not one has helped, in fact many has made my condition even worse. I had scabs on my scalp because of scratching! Shampoo with ketoconazole is quite expensive but a little goes a long way and it's worth every single penny.
So Lapushka - THANK YOU!!

Scabs sounds painful! OMG. I can't imagine what that must be like. :(

Yeah, over here in Belgium a bottle costs us €11.97 (currently, I checked) and that's a small 100ml bottle. Luckily it suds up *really* well and a tiny bit is easily spreadable over my entire scalp.

Hailwidis
May 13th, 2016, 08:02 AM
If you can get Urtekram where you live (the rose one is very nice), then get that. They come in bigger and smaller bottles. But they are not the cheapest.

I've looked it up, their products seem promising. Thank you for the recommendation! :)

hufflepug
May 13th, 2016, 08:24 AM
My scalp has been gross all week :( I've been dealing with some depression, a couple weeks ago I washed and didn't bother to condition or put products in, so my hair was a poofy snarly mess. Then the next time I washed was before bed, which is usually fine but I couldn't sleep and all the moving around to try to get comfortable meant my hair was once again a mess. So a couple days later I wanted to wash again but didn't want to dry my hair out so I decided to try to conditioner only wash. My scalp was pissed haha. Broke out in little bumps and sorta started to smell? (TMI sorry, I know!). I used head and shoulders today and conditioned just below my ears. I'm hoping it helps. I also had a ton more shed than usual today, but I think that might be because I've forgotten to take my thyroid meds a few days in a row.

lapushka
May 13th, 2016, 08:27 AM
My scalp has been gross all week :( I've been dealing with some depression, a couple weeks ago I washed and didn't bother to condition or put products in, so my hair was a poofy snarly mess. Then the next time I washed was before bed, which is usually fine but I couldn't sleep and all the moving around to try to get comfortable meant my hair was once again a mess. So a couple days later I wanted to wash again but didn't want to dry my hair out so I decided to try to conditioner only wash. My scalp was pissed haha. Broke out in little bumps and sorta started to smell? (TMI sorry, I know!). I used head and shoulders today and conditioned just below my ears. I'm hoping it helps. I also had a ton more shed than usual today, but I think that might be because I've forgotten to take my thyroid meds a few days in a row.

Definitely and most likely that. I know it's hard to have to take meds, but if you keep forgetting, maybe invest in a pill box with a timer. It helped me so much.

Theobroma
May 13th, 2016, 09:22 AM

I've looked it up, their products seem promising. Thank you for the recommendation! :)

Mileage may vary, I'm afraid. I tried Urtekram once (the Aloe variety, if I remember right) and it darn nearly felted my hair. I've never had such a snarly strawlike mess on my head than when I used that shampoo! After my experience I'd suggest that you don't get a big bottle just at first; try the smallest you can find and see how you get on with it before you spend more money on a larger one.

lapushka
May 13th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Mileage may vary, I'm afraid. I tried Urtekram once (the Aloe variety, if I remember right) and it darn nearly felted my hair. I've never had such a snarly strawlike mess on my head than when I used that shampoo! After my experience I'd suggest that you don't get a big bottle just at first; try the smallest you can find and see how you get on with it before you spend more money on a larger one.

I'm still inclined to say, save your money, don't buy products and put your money towards a GP visit. Just my 2 cts. ;) FWIW.

Adorkable One
May 13th, 2016, 05:04 PM
^ Since the dandruff shampoo was helping, it sounds like it was in fact dandruff, and not dry scalp. Here's an article that explains the difference:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2014/06/dandruff-and-dry-scalp-whats-the-difference-the-beauty-brains-show-episode-33/

Various treatment options:
http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/08/8-ways-to-fight-dandruff-and-itchy-scalp/

Those are great links! I've tried to read up on dandruff before, but that site did a better job at explaining it. It explains why Head and Shoulders worked so well for me. I'm dreading the thought of using it again, because I really don't want to use shampoo that often. On the other hand, maybe it will actually be beneficial since my scalp will be healthier. Lol.

LadyCelestina
May 14th, 2016, 02:47 AM
^^^Yes it is better! I was also worried about my length a bit, but it turns out that the more frequent washing leaves it feeling more moisturized and it doesn't tangle now, so at least I'm saving on some mechanical damage from detangling.

I also seem to be quite prone to buildup, so I've limited what I use besides shampoo to light conditioner and oil (mineral or coconut depending on what I'm using it for) and I find that my curls actually hold shape really well even without gel, but I'm getting off topic.

AmberJewel
May 16th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Well, I've been shampooing every other day with Head and Shoulders - doing CWC for almost a week now. My itchies are lessening, but I'm still shedding a buttload of hair every time! Is this normal? Also my scalp often feels dry and prickly...

Vanilla Mint
May 19th, 2016, 10:14 PM
My hair thrives with strategic use of SLS, my scalp *needs* a once-over with Head & Shoulders once every 10 days or so, and washing my scalp with any sort of cleansing conditioner or regular conditioner was RUINOUS. Clogged follicles galore! Co-washing is a miracle for some people, but some of us just need to stay far, far away. That's why it's so important to pay attention to what works for *you* when trying new hair routines, rather than wanting something to work because it seems to for other people. (I had to learn this the hard way!)

Also, don't fix what ain't broken. If what you've been doing forever and ever has resulted in happy hair and scalp, don't mess with it.

LadyCelestina
May 20th, 2016, 01:00 AM
Well, I've been shampooing every other day with Head and Shoulders - doing CWC for almost a week now. My itchies are lessening, but I'm still shedding a buttload of hair every time! Is this normal? Also my scalp often feels dry and prickly...

Did you have any shedding before you started doing this? If you are shedding from the head and shoulders then no it's not normal. Obviously if your itchies are going away you are doing something right, but dry and prickly? So it's itchy from being dry or how?

I don't want to further confuse you, but maybe you are sensitive to something in the H&S shampoo?

kuroi
May 20th, 2016, 06:58 AM
Sounds like some people here have way worse problems then I have, but I also have dandruff and like to get rid of it. I used a sls shampoo 1-2 times per week but my skin gotten very sensitive to sls. So I switched to sls free tea tree shampoo in February and washing once a week now. I don't like the idea of washing my hair more often. I might try some anti-fungal stuff first. Would diluted tea tree oil work to massage to scalp daily work?

lapushka
May 20th, 2016, 02:45 PM
Sounds like some people here have way worse problems then I have, but I also have dandruff and like to get rid of it. I used a sls shampoo 1-2 times per week but my skin gotten very sensitive to sls. So I switched to sls free tea tree shampoo in February and washing once a week now. I don't like the idea of washing my hair more often. I might try some anti-fungal stuff first. Would diluted tea tree oil work to massage to scalp daily work?

Is the sulfate-free shampoo better for you, or not? The anti-fungal shampoo (Nizoral) contains sulfates as well, to my knowledge.

juniperjetcat
May 28th, 2016, 07:02 PM
For exactly a year now I have been WO. I have also been scritching and preening (although not as often as I should), as well as BBB. This routine has been working so well for me! Up till now.

Almost 2 months ago I moved from Cape Town, South Africa to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Leading up to the move I went through some serious stress, which has only recently been easing up a little. I noticed that my hair would get greaser and dirtier sooner here in Florida than it did in Cape Town. Where I would wash every week to two weeks I now need to wash every 4 days. I have also noticed more sebum build up on my scalp and relatively large flakes (around half a millimeter up to a millimeter in size) which I have never had before. Even more upsetting is the fact that my hair shed has increased dramatically. Also have a lot of light yellowish build up under my nails after I scritch. I know stress is no good and stressing over this issue does not help, but I really am at a loss as to what to do. I did try and use a diluted argon oil based Castile liquid soap to wash my hair but it didn't seem to get through what I can only describe as a thin waxy film on my hair (not the waxy Helmut I once describe in a thread I posted a little while ago). After doing a little reading and feeling desperate I decided to grab the nearest bottle of shampoo and conditioner and give my hair a wash. The only stuff I could find was my cousins Aussie shampoo and conditioner. My scalp feels sensitive since the wash, but not too bad. My hair is super clean and fly away soft, and I don't see a flake anywhere. Granted it has only been an hour since I washed my hair.

I don't know if I have done the right thing or not by washing my hair, but am at such a low point with this issue right now. Reading this thread has given me a bit of hope that perhaps a wash was the right thing to do as a test to see whether my scalp was suffering a build up that was causing issue. The good news is that now that my hair is dry I can easily see that there are tiny hairs growing all around - which makes me think that at least new hairs have not stopped growing.

Sorry for the ramble, just felt so desperate. Will see how things go over the next week or so, I guess only time will tell.

yahirwaO.o
May 28th, 2016, 08:11 PM
I had dandruff and a horrible waxy mess in the past. That and a lot of emotional stress made my already fine hair look way more sparse and literally 5 hairs at the bottom hemline!

Now I simply wash my hair way more often and the ACV sometimes and the dandruff thing seems to be tame now, thus my shedding is way less noticiable. And I also practice meditation which helps with stress which helps with shedding as a whole!

pandabarrier
September 2nd, 2017, 05:29 PM
Reviving an older thread. I can relate to the first post. My hair thinned out in the past three months. I saw the shed hair balls and they got larger over time. I kept telling to myself it was because the shed hairs were getting longer, and the shed was seasonal and temporary. But the ponytail got thinner (from 3.5" to 3.25").
When the shed started 3 months ago, with itchy scalp, I started washing my hair every 2 days instead of 3-4 days, and do more frequent ACV rinses. The shed and itch was somewhat in control with the more frequent washing, but in August I shed so much. Still less than 100 hair strands per day, but more than in the previous months. Would the fungus grow more in warmer humid weather? We don't use an AC so it can get very hot and steamy in our apartment during the 90F heat waves. Also, I airdried my hair after a wash but because the weather was so humid it would dry so slowly. Would the fungus grow more in scalp that stays wet for long time?
I was also stressed out in August in anticipation to a trip with my in-laws.
So I bought Nizoral 1% two weeks ago. I leave Nizoral for 5 minutes on the scalp, not more because my hair gets too dry. And I use a hair dryer in low heat to dry the scalp after towel drying my hair. The itching stopped, and the shed is gradually decreasing. Hopefully the fungus and the shed will be in control. If not, I'll see a doctor (though I hate seeing doctors in the US, I've only had awful experiences).

Add: I'm thankful LHC exists, otherwise I probably wouldn't hear about the fungus causing hair loss and Nizoral.

StephanieP3
September 2nd, 2017, 06:41 PM
This is so interesting. I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm thinking of finding some nizoral to try.

Dendra
September 3rd, 2017, 05:31 AM
This thread is so topical for me right now, my scalp has been at the forefront of my mind since June when it got insanely itchy and my hair started falling out. I went to a pharmacist who said it was fungal and gave me an anti-fungal pill to take. Didn't work. Then went to a nurse who said it wasn't fungal, it was eczema. She gave me a steroid lotion which didn't work. Since then I've tried Nizoral, Eucerin, e45 shampoo, sulphate-free, fragrance free etc. I've tried SMTs, keeping oil away from my scalp and putting oil on my scalp. The best thing seems to be keeping my scalp ultra-moisturised, which suggests the nurse was right and I have dry skin rather than SD/dandruff, because surely all this moisturising would be making a fungal problem worse not better.

As someone else already said, if it's dry skin (eczema) and you treat it as dandruff then it gets worse, and vice versa. So it's so confusing and expensive when you don't know exactly what the problem is; I've spent £75 ($97) on products to try and relieve my itching. That's pretty much my only symptom. The 'shed from hell' ended weeks ago, I just get regular shedding now. The only physical symptom the nurse or pharmacist could see was a little redness/inflammation in a few places. I don't have any flakes, I had a few a while ago which got worse when I used a shampoo that was really harsh, and they've gone away since I stopped using it. But after reading the article in the original post it makes me think if my problem is fungus then maybe I need to use a shampoo that makes my scalp flake so I can shed the 'bad' layer of skin.

ETA: apologies for massive ramble.

lapushka
September 3rd, 2017, 07:50 AM
Reviving an older thread. I can relate to the first post. My hair thinned out in the past three months. I saw the shed hair balls and they got larger over time. I kept telling to myself it was because the shed hairs were getting longer, and the shed was seasonal and temporary. But the ponytail got thinner (from 3.5" to 3.25").
When the shed started 3 months ago, with itchy scalp, I started washing my hair every 2 days instead of 3-4 days, and do more frequent ACV rinses. The shed and itch was somewhat in control with the more frequent washing, but in August I shed so much. Still less than 100 hair strands per day, but more than in the previous months. Would the fungus grow more in warmer humid weather? We don't use an AC so it can get very hot and steamy in our apartment during the 90F heat waves. Also, I airdried my hair after a wash but because the weather was so humid it would dry so slowly. Would the fungus grow more in scalp that stays wet for long time?
I was also stressed out in August in anticipation to a trip with my in-laws.
So I bought Nizoral 1% two weeks ago. I leave Nizoral for 5 minutes on the scalp, not more because my hair gets too dry. And I use a hair dryer in low heat to dry the scalp after towel drying my hair. The itching stopped, and the shed is gradually decreasing. Hopefully the fungus and the shed will be in control. If not, I'll see a doctor (though I hate seeing doctors in the US, I've only had awful experiences).

Add: I'm thankful LHC exists, otherwise I probably wouldn't hear about the fungus causing hair loss and Nizoral.

Definitely yes to both. If it still gets worse, yes do that, get yourself to a dermatologist fast, and explain your success with Nizoral 1% but that it doesn't appear to be strong enough.

lapushka
September 3rd, 2017, 07:52 AM
As someone else already said, if it's dry skin (eczema) and you treat it as dandruff then it gets worse, and vice versa. So it's so confusing and expensive when you don't know exactly what the problem is; I've spent £75 ($97) on products to try and relieve my itching. That's pretty much my only symptom. The 'shed from hell' ended weeks ago, I just get regular shedding now. The only physical symptom the nurse or pharmacist could see was a little redness/inflammation in a few places. I don't have any flakes, I had a few a while ago which got worse when I used a shampoo that was really harsh, and they've gone away since I stopped using it. But after reading the article in the original post it makes me think if my problem is fungus then maybe I need to use a shampoo that makes my scalp flake so I can shed the 'bad' layer of skin.

ETA: apologies for massive ramble.

For that amount of money, and money you're still going to throw at it, I would see a doctor again. Tell him or her what all you've tried, and be consistent. If something doesn't go right, go back and *tell them*, if they don't know they can't continue to help.

pandabarrier
September 3rd, 2017, 08:11 AM
Definitely yes to both. If it still gets worse, yes do that, get yourself to a dermatologist fast, and explain your success with Nizoral 1% but that it doesn't appear to be strong enough.

Thank you for the reply, lapushka! I didn't know for the longest time why I shed more during humid hot summer, I thought it was lack of sleep, but it's the fungus!
I'll buy a diffuser when I can and use it to dry my scalp.
Yes, I'll monitor the scalp and if it gets worse I'll see a dermatologist and explain that.

lapushka
September 3rd, 2017, 11:05 AM
Thank you for the reply, lapushka! I didn't know for the longest time why I shed more during humid hot summer, I thought it was lack of sleep, but it's the fungus!
I'll buy a diffuser when I can and use it to dry my scalp.
Yes, I'll monitor the scalp and if it gets worse I'll see a dermatologist and explain that.

I do 30 min. or so of toweldrying, then I airdry for about 2-4H, and then all I have to do to get my roots dry (which is the most important part) is diffuse for about 5 min. I tackle the top of my head in two sections (about 15 sec. each), the back in two sections, the sides in two sections and then the length a bit. By then it is virtually dry! It is a handy tool, if you use it correctly. I airdry for a few hours at minimum though! I have found it doesn't exacerbate my SD, as long as I don't leave it wet for much more than that!

esfand
September 5th, 2017, 06:38 AM
Wow... very educational. I think I might have hair loss from the same issue. I don't have visible dandruff, but the top of my scalp gets tender sometimes and I do shed a lot of baby hairs, and also sprout a lot of baby hairs. I knew it wasn't normal.

I recently bought Dove dandruff shampoo, and I am hoping to add fish oil to my diet. Hope it helps...

MusicalSpoons
September 6th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Oh my goodness, this thread has really opened my eyes! I know it's been suggested in other threads but I really will have to give Nizoral a go now. I did try Head and Shoulders pre-LHC (I stuck with it for almost the whole bottle, so, several weeks) but it did nothing. The itching actually got worse but now I know it has silicones in that might explain it (none of my other shampoos around that time or even before contained silicones, so I can't imagine they would have done my scalp much good.) Since using a mild shampoo (sulphate/cone-free) my scalp is the best it's been for a long time, but still itching somewhat, and flaking a snowstorm. If my hair's down, I can pat my head repeatedly and flurries of flakes will fall off every time.

: scissors:
I also have extremely dry skin on my body, which I moisturise. Since I'm not moistrurising my scalp, I'm tempted to think it's dry scalp, just as I have dry skin.

Gha, I hear you on the dry skin and GPs telling you what you already know but nothing useful :rolleyes:

Natura Siberica do a Neutral&Sensitive shampoo, which is kind of 'everything-free' - or at least they do in the UK. I hear they use different formulations for their different markets, so that may or may not be available elsewhere.

[This is such an important thread, for such a widespread and sometimes seemingly innocuous problem, and we seem to have had a recent influx of scalp problem threads - I wonder if the mods might consider making this a sticky? :hmm:]

Babyfine
September 7th, 2017, 12:19 PM
In my own case, I was trying to follow the "Curly Girl" method, to help the health of my hair, enhance my curl potential, and avoid damage from harsh shampoos.
So I stretched my washes to every 4 days, with a mild, sulfate free moisturizing shampoo, and CO'd the rest of the time. This was about 8 years ago.
My scalp was mildly itchy, but nothing bad, and I could smell a little scalp on day three, which I used dry shampoo to help clear up. Well my hair loved it, but my scalp-not so much!
When I went in for my every 3 month trim, my stylist said "Babyfine" you have patches of cradle cap all over your head! What are you using to wash your hair? When I revealed to her my routine, she opined that my scalp couldn't take that, and if I continued down that road I would start losing hair. My hair is fine and thin enough as it is, so she recommended shampooing every other day with Nioxin, using the whole system,(expensive yes, not if you cut out other products as much)since it was compatible with coloring and has an anti-fungal in the ingredient list. I did and it all cleared up. I now use the Nioxin shampoo about twice a week and if I feel I need more washing I incorporate the sulfate-free shampoo in between. So I still shampoo every other day alternating between the two. I use a heavier conditioner from the ears down. To be honest, I will take a healthy scalp over length or even healthy looking hair, as I don't want to get any thinner, or lose any more hair. My hair is genetically very fine, and I was experiencing some mild thinning due to age, but still, my hair has slightly thickened up over the years, even though I'm older. My hair is a bit dryer with this routine, but that's OK. I know people years ago didn't wash their hair much, so I don't know why I'm different.

pandabarrier
October 15th, 2017, 11:04 AM
Update. I’ve been using Nizoral 1% for 8 weeks. Oh, it’s drying, even when applying on scalp only. I mix it with aloe vera gel and make a good lather with it, and that seems to help with the dryness. I wash every other day with it, followed by ACV rinse with rosemary EO. I also use a fine tooth comb to spread the shampoo on my scalp, and make sure the scalp is squeaky clean. There were a couple of days my sebum was way too much because of the unseasonably hot humid weather, and I had to wash twice, first with regular shampoo then Nizoral.

I also ended up buying a full-sized hair dryer instead of diffuser (I only had a travel hair dryer) and use it in warm or cool mode, to dry the scalp after the microfiber towel and air-drying my hair. No more wet scalp!

Onion juice once a week seemed to have boosted my hair growth, my hair ends touch the bed when I’m sitting.

I think the SD is under control now, fortunately, because the shed hair rate went back to pre-crisis lower less scary numbers, and ponytail thickness didn’t decrease. And I don’t have the scalp itchness neither scalp pimples anymore. :cheer:

Shadri
October 15th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Thank you for this thread! It makes me feel better about using my dandruff shampoo for my own itchy scalp. I had been trying to avoid sls's, but I'd rather have a happy scalp with no flakes, itching or scabs. It is drying, though - do you guys find that doing moisturizing treatments affects your scalp, if you're also using a medicated shampoo?

lapushka
October 15th, 2017, 04:04 PM
Update. I’ve been using Nizoral 1% for 8 weeks. Oh, it’s drying, even when applying on scalp only. I mix it with aloe vera gel and make a good lather with it, and that seems to help with the dryness. I wash every other day with it, followed by ACV rinse with rosemary EO. I also use a fine tooth comb to spread the shampoo on my scalp, and make sure the scalp is squeaky clean. There were a couple of days my sebum was way too much because of the unseasonably hot humid weather, and I had to wash twice, first with regular shampoo then Nizoral.

I also ended up buying a full-sized hair dryer instead of diffuser (I only had a travel hair dryer) and use it in warm or cool mode, to dry the scalp after the microfiber towel and air-drying my hair. No more wet scalp!

Onion juice once a week seemed to have boosted my hair growth, my hair ends touch the bed when I’m sitting.

I think the SD is under control now, fortunately, because the shed hair rate went back to pre-crisis lower less scary numbers, and ponytail thickness didn’t decrease. And I don’t have the scalp itchness neither scalp pimples anymore. :cheer:

Yay, that's good news. You could try doing conditioner twice after washing (it works for me ;)).

Thank you for this thread! It makes me feel better about using my dandruff shampoo for my own itchy scalp. I had been trying to avoid sls's, but I'd rather have a happy scalp with no flakes, itching or scabs. It is drying, though - do you guys find that doing moisturizing treatments affects your scalp, if you're also using a medicated shampoo?

I use the WCC method (link is in my signature), that just means you condition twice after washing. I never let the conditioner touch my scalp, though! Never!

pandabarrier
October 15th, 2017, 04:09 PM
It is drying, though - do you guys find that doing moisturizing treatments affects your scalp, if you're also using a medicated shampoo?

What do you mean by moisturizing treatments? Do you mean SMT?

The SMT doesn’t seem to affect my scalp neither in a good way nor bad.

What balances my scalp when using medicated shampoo is to mix aloe vera gel (the edible kind, sold at health food stores) with the shampoo in an applicator bottle, so it’s like a shampoo with aloe vera, less drying to the scalp.

pandabarrier
October 15th, 2017, 04:13 PM
Yay, that's good news. You could try doing conditioner twice after washing (it works for me ;)).

Ok I’ll try conditioning twice. :)

checkuponit
October 15th, 2017, 07:45 PM
Thanks for updating, Pandabarrier! I used to have INCREDIBLY thick, coarse, wavy BSL hair, and I've lost over half of it from shedding and thinning in the past 6 months (though possibly it has been happening for longer and I didn't realize, since I had so much hair.) I also have had dandruff since I can remember, and the yellow gunky scalp buildup too. I used head&shoulders for about 10 years, going 2-3 days in between washes.

I'm now using Nizoral twice a week, in conjunction with Minoxidil ... but I'm definitely wondering if all the scalp buildup was contributing to my hair loss in some fashion. Seems like others have had similar experiences.

manuGmz
October 16th, 2017, 10:43 AM
I found this post a few days ago whole trying to figure out my problem. I was doing an aloe + eucalyptus oil scalp mist that we started on the facebook group, after reading a study on it. But my skin and scalp really hate oils, so I got what feels like scalp acne ( I won't get into TMI). The sweat from daily workouts probably didn't help. So the mentioning of salicylic acid in the OP gave me an idea. I made a second scalp mix with rosemary hydrolat and salicylic acid. I just poured BHA until the pH was somewhere between 4 and 5. I only got to use it once, but my scalp is definitely better. So thanks for the idea :D