PDA

View Full Version : Should I just cut it off and start over??

italiancouture7
May 7th, 2016, 12:54 PM
This is how my hair looked before the full year of excessive hair loss I experienced. I finally got it under control and i'm losing a normal amount of hair again. But unfortunately my long locks have suffered the consequences of the major hair fall :(

http://i68.tinypic.com/29uztbb.jpg

You can see in this picture, all of my hair is gathered to the front and the bottom half is about half of the thickness of the top of my hair. I feel like it looks ridiculous. I love my long hair but at this point it just looks like I have some bad extensions.

http://i63.tinypic.com/15s8son.jpg

Another picture.

http://i66.tinypic.com/312grnl.jpg

My sad braid :(

http://i67.tinypic.com/2lmnl89.jpg

Is there even any point in continuing to grow it? Or should I just chop off about 6 inches to maybe help the thickness even back out??? What would you do?

littlestarface
May 7th, 2016, 12:56 PM
I dont see nothing :(

italiancouture7
May 7th, 2016, 12:58 PM
I dont see nothing :(

Yeah, I just fixed it. The links didn't work for some reason the first time.

parkmikii
May 7th, 2016, 01:03 PM
I'd say to keep on growing or perhaps microtrim if you want to keep the length and thicken it. I have EXACTLY the same ends as yours, if not even thinner, but it seems that for some of us fairytale ends just happen.
Here is the link to my thread if it helps you with anything: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136524

Arctic
May 7th, 2016, 01:08 PM
I am sorry you went trough such a shed, and I wish you speedy recovery. However in the meantime, I don't think your hair looks sad (or like bad extensions) right now. Your braid seems pretty normal to me. I can understand how awful it is to suddenly have much thinner hair, but from outsider's visual perspective, your hair doesn't seem anything out of ordinary, I wouldn't know you've recently went through a bad hairloss by seeing your photos only.

You do have some fairytailing right now and if you want you could trim a little - but much less than you fear is needed will already make a big difference. I think 2 inches trim (following the U-shape you already seem to have and not straight across) would make you much happier with your hemline.

lapis_lazuli
May 7th, 2016, 01:10 PM
FWIW, I don't think it looks bad. You have a beautiful colour and waves :flower: If it's really troubling you, as mentioned, you can microtrim to even up the ends. If you still feel the urge to cut off 6 inches, remember to apply the 2 week rule before proceeding :)

meteor
May 7th, 2016, 01:11 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the hairloss in the past, italiancouture7! :grouphug: But your hair looks beautiful! :D And your new regrowth and thickness will keep travelling down, I'm sure. :flower: I wouldn't cut it off, maybe at some point just micro-trim/dust slowly, while letting the thickness catch up. But even that isn't necessary, of course. :flower:

By the way, Emi Longhairedatheart wrote a really good post about her experiences growing out taper on very long hair while micro-trimming along the way: http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.ca/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html There are some great graphs and good micro-trimming tips there.

italiancouture7
May 7th, 2016, 01:13 PM
I'd say to keep on growing or perhaps microtrim if you want to keep the length and thicken it. I have EXACTLY the same ends as yours, if not even thinner, but it seems that for some of us fairytale ends just happen.
Here is the link to my thread if it helps you with anything: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136524

Oh that's very interesting, thank you! I didn't know there was a name for this lol.. I haven't had my hair this long since I was 9, so I don't know if this is just the norm for me? Or an after effect of the shed. And your hair looks gorgeous by the way!!! I can't tell at all!

lithostoic
May 7th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Looks good to me. Just take off an inch or two and start microtrimming every so often.

italiancouture7
May 7th, 2016, 01:18 PM
I am sorry you went trough such a shed, and I wish you speedy recovery. However in the meantime, I don't think your hair looks sad (or like bad extensions) right now. Your braid seems pretty normal to me. I can understand how awful it is to suddenly have much thinner hair, but from outsider's visual perspective, your hair doesn't seem anything out of ordinary, I wouldn't know you've recently went through a bad hairloss by seeing your photos only.

You do have some fairytailing right now and if you want you could trim a little - but much less than you fear is needed will already make a big difference. I think 2 inches trim (following the U-shape you already seem to have and not straight across) would make you much happier with your hemline.

That is a relieve, I honestly thought it would require way more! This is good advice, I am actually getting my hair done next weekend. Im going back closer to my natural hair color (dark brown). I don't normally get a cut ( I trim myself), but I think this is a good opportunity to work on reshaping it!!! :)

Nique1202
May 7th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Take this paragraph with a grain of salt, because it's YOUR feelings that matter, not mine. But, to me, it just looks like fairytaling or layered curls. It's the same thing that happens when I let my hair dry wurly, the deep V effect and the little spirals at the bottom instead of having a thick hemline, only mine is from layering not hairfall. One thing it definitely does NOT look like is cheap extensions. Quite the opposite, in fact, it looks beautiful and romantic to me. :blossom:

That being said, I understand your feelings because I don't really like the effect on me either at any great length. I would definitely consider microtrimming maybe 1/4 inch per month or trimming out all your growth every month, depending on whether you want it to get longer or not. I would absolutely NOT chop it back more than an inch at a time because taking 6 inches is nearly always a recipe for regret and further bad feelings about your hair when you're already feeling in a crisis about it.

The thickness will travel back down, it'll just take time and trims. In the mean time, I hope you can learn to live with it as it is once you figure out how you want to proceed.

italiancouture7
May 7th, 2016, 01:29 PM
FWIW, I don't think it looks bad. You have a beautiful colour and waves :flower: If it's really troubling you, as mentioned, you can microtrim to even up the ends. If you still feel the urge to cut off 6 inches, remember to apply the 2 week rule before proceeding :)

Aww thank you!!! :o .. After everyone's replies, I am feeling much less apt to chop it off lol

italiancouture7
May 7th, 2016, 01:49 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the hairloss in the past, italiancouture7! :grouphug: But your hair looks beautiful! :D And your new regrowth and thickness will keep travelling down, I'm sure. :flower: I wouldn't cut it off, maybe at some point just micro-trim/dust slowly, while letting the thickness catch up. But even that isn't necessary, of course. :flower:

By the way, Emi Longhairedatheart wrote a really good post about her experiences growing out taper on very long hair while micro-trimming along the way: http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.ca/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html There are some great graphs and good micro-trimming tips there.

Thank you so much for these awesome resources!! You ladies are wonderful!! <3

italiancouture7
May 7th, 2016, 02:01 PM
Take this paragraph with a grain of salt, because it's YOUR feelings that matter, not mine. But, to me, it just looks like fairytaling or layered curls. It's the same thing that happens when I let my hair dry wurly, the deep V effect and the little spirals at the bottom instead of having a thick hemline, only mine is from layering not hairfall. One thing it definitely does NOT look like is cheap extensions. Quite the opposite, in fact, it looks beautiful and romantic to me. :blossom:

That being said, I understand your feelings because I don't really like the effect on me either at any great length. I would definitely consider microtrimming maybe 1/4 inch per month or trimming out all your growth every month, depending on whether you want it to get longer or not. I would absolutely NOT chop it back more than an inch at a time because taking 6 inches is nearly always a recipe for regret and further bad feelings about your hair when you're already feeling in a crisis about it.

The thickness will travel back down, it'll just take time and trims. In the mean time, I hope you can learn to live with it as it is once you figure out how you want to proceed.

Awww thank you that is so sweet! You ladies are so wonderfully supportive! I am so glad I posted here before I made such a rash decision.

Quasiquixotic
May 7th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Micro trim? Or maintain where you are. Just my $0.02. You hair is amazing!

ExpectoPatronum
May 7th, 2016, 02:07 PM
I'm with everyone else here. I think your hair looks lovely just the way it is. I love your color and your waves!

However, I also get not really liking how something looks despite everyone else saying it's fine. If you really must, go an inch or two at a time so that you don't accidentally chop off more than you were willing to part with. I've been there too and it's not fun either!

Sweets
May 7th, 2016, 02:08 PM
I think your hair is lovely, and if it was mine, I would just take an inch or two and then microtrim! Good luck on your journey!

lapushka
May 7th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Just think of people who naturally have the thickness you have now. They can't do a thing about it! I would just let it grow and microtrim until the thicker parts can catch up again. Just MHO.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 7th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Your ends are a lot like mine. To thicken my ends I am doing micro trimming and it is working well. It's taking a long time, but it is working and I am still gaining length, you could do this too and see results :)

Isilme
May 7th, 2016, 03:15 PM
If it bothers you, by all means, cut off a couple of inches. I don't see a point in keeping it if you don't like it, and microtrimming will just slowly cut away the thinner parts. If it were me I'd just cut back to a point I'd feel comfortable with. But if you ask if it looks bad, no. I think both looks are pretty, fairy tale ends and more blunt. Do what makes you happy!

papayatree
May 7th, 2016, 03:24 PM
I don't see any problem with how it looks. Just do an inch at a time to see if it helps out, and go from there.

lapushka
May 7th, 2016, 03:27 PM
Your third picture is just fine (the back). When you layer the hair, you get something like that as well. Just FYI. ;)

Deborah
May 7th, 2016, 03:47 PM
Maybe just trim off two inches. That will thicken up the ends, and I bet you will be happy with it.

Horrorpops
May 8th, 2016, 08:37 AM
Oh wow so after reading the OP I thought you must have got the pictures muddled because your after-shed hair still looks great to me! :o I agree with all the previous posters who've said it looks like normal layering and fairytaling, nothing like 'bad extensions' etc.

If you want to thicken it up, microtrims or do a little trim of an inch or two! Please don't cut it all off - it's so pretty! :flower:

spidermom
May 8th, 2016, 09:12 AM
I had a similar problem recently and I cut off 5 inches. I don't regret it.

Complexity
May 8th, 2016, 09:41 AM
I recently went through the same sort of thing you did (aside from myself and my mother, no one has noticed that my hair is significantly thinner than it used to be). Now that the shedding is under control and my hair is growing back somewhat, I'm just trying to keep it up and not think about it. I seriously considered doing a chop, but I think that I would end up being less happy with the length loss.

Ultimately, you should do whatever makes YOU happy and not rely on random internet strangers for advice. FWIW though, I think that your hair is lovely and bet you would feel a whole lot better if you just cut the worst of it off (maybe an inch or so) to thicken your hemline :)

summergame
May 8th, 2016, 10:28 AM
I think your hair is realy beautiful and agree with others for doing microtrimming. :flower:

spidermom
May 8th, 2016, 01:42 PM
I had a similar problem recently and I cut off 5 inches. I don't regret it.

P.S: I had a lot of split ends in those longest layers, too. If it hadn't been for that, I probably wouldn't have gotten it cut off. Your hair doesn't look bad to me at all.

nakima
May 8th, 2016, 01:51 PM
I went through this as well and my hair looks similar to yours as far thickness goes. I think you should leave it as long as it's healthy. I think your hair looks great! I wouldn't worry about it. That will only stress you out and that's the last thing you need... your hair is beautiful!

Lucy Elizabeth
May 8th, 2016, 02:44 PM
I think it looks gorgeous! Reminds me of Ariel from the Little Mermaid! :)

If it makes you feel better to cut an inch or so off then go for it, but I don't really see the point in chopping off 6 inches.
It's probably been suggested above but you could also maintain it at this length for a year and microtrim to achieve a thicker hemline, but that's completely up to you!

Good luck growing, sheds are the worst!

Lavendersugar
May 8th, 2016, 09:34 PM
I'm sorry you had hair thinning issues and glad to read you were able to solve the problem.

First your hair is beautiful both in the before and after pics. Leaving it alone wouldn't at all look bad.

That being said switching this around and pretending it was me I can understand the want of a thicker hem. Knowing how I am I would probably trim up to area of thickness for a thicker look and feel.
I had started growing and was almost BSL when I did something stupid. I cut off the mistake and had layers put in but hated them. So I grew to cut off the layers. If I had not done all this my hair would be well past my tailbone. However, I don't regret chopping to remove damage or layers. Now I have what I want once it reaches my goal and I won't have anything to do but enjoy it.

My point is do what you can handle and live with the end results.

yahirwaO.o
May 8th, 2016, 10:13 PM
Im another ex case-survivor of severe hair loss. Mine was way worse than yours. I made both big chop and micro trimming regularly.

If u ask me I dont see anything wrong with your current condition (your red waves are gorgeous) however if it really makes you feel awful then by al means cut some inches or you can join us in the micro trim thread in case you have some patience and dont want to loose any of your length. Choice is yours but now with very good knowledge.

I've learned that I just prefer quality over feeling miserable with long ratty mess. Good yours have stopped and you are on your way on having again awesome hair!!! :o

browneyedsusan
May 9th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Your "sad" braid is about twice as thick as mine.

restless
May 9th, 2016, 04:48 PM
Huh? "Sad braid" and "bad extensions"? What are you talking about, its absolutely beautiful! I wouldnt let any scissors come near that hair if I were you.

stahil
May 9th, 2016, 06:33 PM
Your hair is so beautiful. I would be thrilled to have the same length, thickness, and color!

Llama
May 9th, 2016, 10:35 PM
I don't think it looks like extensions at all...and it doesn't look thin to me either. It especially looks thick on the first couple pictures taken from the front.

Sometimes when I take pictures of the back of my head my hair will stick/clump together and look thinner than it is...sometimes hair just lays weird. Maybe that is happening a little?

Either way, small trims will help thicken up the ends and overall look of the hair so I agree that that is a good option :)