PDA

View Full Version : Water in a different country - please help!

Spinder
May 6th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Last time I was in Cuba, something about the water at the resort severely disagreed with my hair, and I literally have no idea what it was. It was like I couldn't seem to really get my hair properly clean - it would be dull and limp and rough and impossible to comb out no matter what I tried to do with it. I can only hazard a guess that it may have been something the resort used to soften the water, but since I never had such a problem before, I do not know for sure.

I am leaving for Cuba tomorrow, unsure of what to do about this. We are staying at a different resort this time, and I do not know if it will have different water. I have plenty of moisturizng conditioner and good cleansing shampoo, but am unsure if it will be enough.

Has anyone else ever had a similar problem while traveling? Does anyone have any way to help combat it?

lapushka
May 6th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Maybe use the products they provide (if they do that), they might be geared to the water. Different country, different products and formulations.

meteor
May 6th, 2016, 11:59 AM
I've had those kinds of experiences and my approach was pretty laid back:

1) If I'm staying there for a short time and don't like the water, I simply stretch washes and do scalp-only washes to minimize contact with that water.

2) If I'm staying there for a while, I just roll with it, accepting that the hair will feel and behave differently. Using local products may or may not help, I didn't bother spending money on experimenting with many local products, because that also takes time... l I tend to use local products, but the hair still acted differently with different water.

3) With a more permanent move, over time, I needed to find local products that worked with the water. That can take quite a while, actually. :flower: You may need to ask around for local product recommendations. If worse comes to worst, clarifying & chelating and a very good mask/conditioner as well as pre-poo oiling can really help.