PDA

View Full Version : Hair toy capsule wardrobe

Meri
October 16th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I'd like to start building a "capsule wardrobe" of 5 or so hair toys- a collection of quality tools that would last me a while and be suitable for any occasion.

Just out of curiousity, what would you put in yours?

Magdalene
October 16th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Flexi-8, Bronze Jewelers Hair Screw, wavelength pins, some of those metal-free headband/ponytail holders, and some silicon elastics for braid ends.

I think. ..it's like choosing between one's children!

wendyg
October 16th, 2008, 03:09 PM
A Ficcare in a neutral color, probably tortoise, black, honeymarble, or jean (because I wear jeans almost all the time)

A Flexi8 with multicolor beads

A fork in something like zebrawood with very dramatic grain or in indigo dymondwood

A French clip barrette - metal, wood, or Indian beaded, whatever color I thought would be most versatile

Actually, that would do it.

wg

aisling
October 17th, 2008, 12:01 AM
A neutral Ficcare Maximas or Ficcarissimo

A Quattro U fork or a pair of his StarLite sticks

A (Graydog) dymondwood stick or fork in colours that work with my clothes

Hair scroos

Amish pins

Elastics

OK, that's 6 but the three last ones are small items :)

Loviatar
October 17th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Great idea! Assuming I could have Amish pins or snagfree sleepie clips and snagfree elastics as standard, I'd have:

Large Ficcare, black pearl border
Stainless steel hairsticks or Quattro starlites for damp bunning
Dymondwood fork, probably green, two or three prong
Etta Mae six prong fork in bloodwood
1 set wooden hairsticks, probably East Indian Rosewood Ketylos
Velvet scrunchie for casual buns and folded braids

Stevy
October 17th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Ooooh, good question!

I'd go with

Ficcare Max in silver or gold, matte or shiny, whichever suits your style more
A carved natural wood hairstick or two prong fork (I'm kind of partial to maple myself, also 'American Oak' dymondwood - if you have paler hair, you might want to go with a darker wood)
A pair of Mei Fas for dressy occasions
A two-ended stick for Chinese buns - Monkthemonk does nice ones, or buy vintage kogai kanzashi from eBay
Good Hair Days pins

VanillaTresses
October 17th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I guess right now this would be easy for me as I only really have been using two things: my blue jeans maxima and metal-free hair bands.

SHELIAANN1969
October 17th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Money, for more hair toys once you are sucked in!! hahaha--

:D

LaurelSpring
October 17th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I was trying to do this also, get a basic go anywhere cover all the basis set. After trying alot of different things and finding out I really like alot of variety for my many hair moods anyway here is what I use the most:

Note: If I really like something I like to have it in natural wood, black and a multicolor if possible.

Flexi 8
Ketylos
hair fork
ficcare (at least one!)
those good hair days pins are great
I love my african butterfly comb also and hair zing

I am currently enjoying using some hair ties also. I guess it never ends....

wendyg
October 17th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I've been trying to edit my post to add a coated elastic for braids, but the system is thwarting me. Actually, my first assumption was that those don't count. If they don't, I'd add an African Butterfly clip too - in black and brown beads. On days where I'm going to spend a lot of time outdoors, I find it invaluable for keeping the short hairs on the top from flying around and getting in my face. I either use it to scrape everything back and then braid the tail, or do a logroll and tuck the clip over the whole thing.

wg

Stevy
October 17th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Money, for more hair toys once you are sucked in!! hahaha--

:D

Damn straight! :)

Gladtobemom
October 17th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Let's see,

1. Pair of Ron Quattro Starlites forks
2. Pack of Blax Elastics (for braids)
3. A vial of Amish hairpins (6)
4. Pair of Graydog Ebony spiral cut sticks (hold like glue, elegant or casual)
5. Ficcare Honey Marble Clip.

bjt
October 17th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I only have about 5 things, so now it would be easy! my Quattro flexisticks, a couple of plain wooden hairsticks, a ponytail holder, some of my favorite hairpins and a plain plastic claw-type clip (its the easiest thing to use in the shower and like that).

Flexi-8, Bronze Jewelers Hair Screw, wavelength pins, ...

Magdalene, I've seen wavelength pins mentioned before... can you show me what they are? (maybe point me to a website?) I have never seen them, and when I google for them I come up with a bunch of math related website! ha! I've been looking for the perfect hairpins, and would love to see what these are.
thanks!

Chromis
October 17th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Ficcare Maximus in a plain colour
Natural wood coloured hairfork
Silicone itty bitty ponytail thingies for my braid tassel
Bobby pins

And shoot, my basic wardrobe doesn't even need five items! I suppose you could add a pair of natural wood sticks, but really a fork would suffice and that would save you enough to buy a nicer one.

Periwinkle
October 17th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I've only used a few kinds of hairtoy, so I'm a bit limited. I'd probably go for a ficcare if I had one, as my fakkare is brilliant but just too small.

My list:
-Elastics (for ponies, buns and braids)
-Wavelength pins (for buns and securing other styles)
-Kirby grips (for wispies and extra security)
-Sticks
-Forks

I don't have any nice sticks/forks (sticks from claire's and a wooden pair that were a gift but are quite short, 3 forks and a single stick from a store in Italy, all wooden) so I'm not going to name manufacturers because I haven't tried them. The hairtoys I have are all low quality.

Periwinkle
October 17th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Magdalene, I've seen wavelength pins mentioned before... can you show me what they are? (maybe point me to a website?) I have never seen them, and when I google for them I come up with a bunch of math related website! ha! I've been looking for the perfect hairpins, and would love to see what these are.
thanks!

I'm not Magdalene, but I'll answer anyway :o

Wavelength pins look like this. (http://www.goodhairdays.com/metal-comb-files/1.75_tipped_hairpins.jpg) I bought mine at clare's accessories but I've seen them in drugstores and supermarkets since (I didn't know what they were at the time and could probably have got them cheaper elsewhere) so they're quite easy to get hold of.

They vary in size (if you look online you can probably find lots more variation and sturdier ones too) but mine are about 1.5" and that's the same size I've seen in other shops.

Peggy E.
October 17th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Oh, boy, I don't know what I'd endorse - there are so many I have and use all the time....

Topsy Tail
Hair Scroos
Graydog two-prong fork
Goldenrod Abstract Prong
Vintage Best Hold celluloid comb

bjt
October 17th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Wavelength pins look like this. (http://www.goodhairdays.com/metal-comb-files/1.75_tipped_hairpins.jpg)
Thanks Periwinkle! I *have* seen these pins, but just never seen them called Wavelength pins (although now, with your picture, I can understand how they got that name!) :p

I have some--they barely hold my hair. I have some sorta like that from my hair dresser that are twice as thick and about 3" long that work fabulously, but I can't find them for sale anywhere! they work better, though (they aren't so spread out, which I think helps).

anyway, sorry for the diversion... back to our regularly schedule capsules! :pumpkin:

Islandgrrl
October 17th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Here's my list:

1. Large Gold Matte Ficcarissimo
2. Willowthewisp Sunflower Hair Fork (4-prong)
3. My Buff
4. A Pair of Ketylos
5. Sterling Silver Pat Areias Hair Fork (2-prong)

Cinnamon Hair
October 17th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I'd like to start building a "capsule wardrobe" of 5 or so hair toys- a collection of quality tools that would last me a while and be suitable for any occasion.

Just out of curiousity, what would you put in yours?

Ficcare Superclip in black
Ficcare Maximas in gold or silver whichever you prefer
Pair of Papadonh's dymondwood sticks
2 prong fork from Baerreis
3 or 4 prong dymondwood fork from 60thstreet

If I could throw in a 6th item it would be a pair of Maiden's Treasures beaded sticks. I would need a package of Good Days plastic hair pins as well for added security in some updos.

Melisande
October 17th, 2008, 08:26 PM
1. Ficcare Maxima, tortoise
2. Flexi 8 in XL, black beads, simple center piece
3. Bluebell hairsticks
4. 4 scroos, brown
5. 2pronged wooden fork, EttaMae

truepeacenik
October 17th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Cinnamon, I don't think you could make it on five, or even 50 toys!:p

I'm assuming you had a handful of "round stretchy things" already.
I'll not go into colors, as those are so personal. As a redhead I'd NEVER have red/orange/ yellow, and I don't care for bright, but they look thud-worthy on others. (I just look like when you tweak the color knob on the telly and it looks like aliens are on the screen)
I'd have:
one clip that works for you. Although I'm not a complete convert, I'd have a ficcare for now.
one fork or two-three prongs that is comfortable. I love my sperharbs (?), for example.
one stick that can hold on it's own. for now, that's a ketylo, but I have a custom piece in Damascus steel coming soon that I hope takes it's place.
One toy of any style in a color that just makes you happy and feel awesome, no matter what anyone else says. Something individual, perhaps. but I like to have that small thing that makes a statement.
one set of utilitarian sticks, or something more... glittery, if you like.

wendyg
October 18th, 2008, 03:53 AM
OK, folks, this is our chance. Everyone convince CH that she doesn't need the rest of her Ficcares!

wg

aisling
October 18th, 2008, 05:17 AM
I'm not Magdalene, but I'll answer anyway :o

Wavelength pins look like this. (http://www.goodhairdays.com/metal-comb-files/1.75_tipped_hairpins.jpg) I bought mine at clare's accessories but I've seen them in drugstores and supermarkets since (I didn't know what they were at the time and could probably have got them cheaper elsewhere) so they're quite easy to get hold of.

They vary in size (if you look online you can probably find lots more variation and sturdier ones too) but mine are about 1.5" and that's the same size I've seen in other shops.

NO, that's NOT Wavelength pins! Wavelength pins are just bent double pointed knitting needles and named after our member Wavelength.

Thanks Periwinkle! I *have* seen these pins, but just never seen them called Wavelength pins (although now, with your picture, I can understand how they got that name!) :p

I have some--they barely hold my hair. I have some sorta like that from my hair dresser that are twice as thick and about 3" long that work fabulously, but I can't find them for sale anywhere! they work better, though (they aren't so spread out, which I think helps).

anyway, sorry for the diversion... back to our regularly schedule capsules! :pumpkin:

See my answer above for the correct info :)

Shanarana
October 18th, 2008, 05:29 AM
I always have in my purse a medium gold maximus Ficcare, and a medium flexi so I'll have to go with just those.

freznow
October 18th, 2008, 06:25 AM
1. Wavelength or amish or some sort of pins (The link someone linked to earlier? Those are not wavelength pins. Wavelength pins are the ones 'invented' by our very own wavelength - they are bent double pointed knitting needles. Apologies if someone answered that already - I haven't read the whole thread.)
2. Honey marble large ficcare
3. 60th street fork
4. Metal sticks
5. Humm iffy because the ones I use most often are already taken (I'm assuming hair elastics aren't really a 'toy') so, besides variations upon the theme, that's about it. I haven't tried a ficcare superclip, yet, and I do love my beak, so it may be another ficcare, or another pair of sticks, or a fork with more prongs.

Periwinkle
October 18th, 2008, 06:28 AM
NO, that's NOT Wavelength pins! Wavelength pins are just bent double pointed knitting needles and named after our member Wavelength.

See my answer above for the correct info :)

They aren't? They were listed as wavelength pins on the box and the receipt and I've seen them sold under the same name in several shops.

aisling
October 18th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Periwinkle, you can call pins whatever you want, but you should know that when Wavelength pins (capital W!) are mentioned on LHC, it is bent double pointed needles. You're too much of a newbie to know this from the old LHC.

A couple of archived threads:
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=56425
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=825981#post825981

Peggy E.
October 18th, 2008, 10:33 AM
OK, folks, this is our chance. Everyone convince CH that she doesn't need the rest of her Ficcares!

wg

....And I suppose WE do??!!! Oh, you are truly an evil, evil girl!!! ;o) Shall we start watching the Swap Board??

Meri
October 18th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks for all the replies, they've been a real insight!
I'm currently sporting my brad new, doorhandle-bent Wavelegth pins, and can't believe I haven't come across them before. I'm also surpised at the amount of people who like the wooden hair toys though, those never did work out for me.

Cinnamon Hair
October 18th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Cinnamon, I don't think you could make it on five, or even 50 toys!:p

wg

....And I suppose WE do??!!! Oh, you are truly an evil, evil girl!!! ;o) Shall we start watching the Swap Board??

I was speaking/typing theoretically; don't get carried away now! Just trying to help Meri out. I suppose it would be practical to have 5 or so toys in mind for emergency purposes. Umm yeah, that's the key ;)

LilyMunster
October 18th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Ficcare Max
XL Flexi 8
Barreais Nautulis
Mamacat Spiral Ribbon Sticks
BlondiesTurn French Twist Comb

truepeacenik
October 19th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Cinnamon, you are lucky I am a very slow adapter of hair toy technology, or I'd modify the LOL whine:
"you have such nice hair toys, you should donate them."

(completely joking here)

I need to actually count, but I'm under 50 counting pairs of sticks as 2.
One on order, and I'm done for a long while, I hope.
At this point, swaps or really stellar standout customs are it for me.
I've spent too much.

Elbereth
October 19th, 2008, 05:20 AM
My list is for hair toys only. In addition, I would need: elastics, Amish pins, bobby pins, one sturdy full size hair net and three thin (transparent) hair nets.

1. a Ficcare Maximas in matte silver or gold
2. a black Garlands of Grace Cecily headcovering
3. a Laur's barrette in matte silver for half-ups
4. a pair of Mei Fa allwood hairsticks
5. my Blondiesturn birdseye maple hair fork (2-prong). Since Blondiesturn does not make hairtoys any longer, substitute with some plain but nice Baerreis fork

Not very exciting list, but everything is quality stuff and versatile. If I wasn't a hairtoy addict, I would survive with these.

darkwaves
October 19th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I'm also assuming that bobby pins, elastics, and hair scroos aren't included...

When I travel, I bring:

Something waterproof, to hold my hair up in the shower and to hold a wet/damp bun. Usually my pair of twisty Quattro sticks with shiny black beads (hematite, I think), but sometimes my Blondiesturn blue aquapearl fork, or my red aquapearl Ketylo sticks.
Something durable. Usually, a large Ficcare clip. Or a Blondiesturn two-prong wood fork. Ebony or cocobolo. Sometimes, instead, Papadonh sticks -- the butterfly twist style, which hold like a rock!
Something glittery. Usually a pair of Mei Fas. And usually Viola (http://www.stonesoupstyle.com/viola-mei-fa-hairstyx.html), because the mixed metals go with either silver or gold accessories, and they are subtle, not too glittery.
Something for half-ups. Usually a small or medium Flexi-8.
Finally, something I love that makes me happy the day I'm packing! When I went away in the summer, I took the two Tribu sticks jel so kindly got for me on TBB's spring GO. I'm going away again in a week... I'm looking at the shell stick Elle/CastleMountainDesigns made for me...

And, for the record, I usually bring SIX things, not five -- with two from the Durable category.