PDA

View Full Version : Hair Loss Advice Needed :(

crystalkaz
May 5th, 2016, 11:46 AM
I started noticing my hair loss a couple of months back, but I attributed it to my diet + new job.

Now it has really got to the point whereby it has gotten pretty bad :(

What should I do? :rolleyes: Are there any natural remedies that I could use?

Anje
May 5th, 2016, 11:54 AM
The usual advice is to start by making sure there's nothing medically wrong with you. Get to a doctor, get them to run a few blood tests. Thyroid problems, anemia, and various deficiencies in things like Vitamin D can all cause hair loss. Deal with that stuff first, because it's important. Make sure there's nothing weird going on with your scalp while you're there. Putting an internet-recommended works-for-some-people goo on your head isn't going to help much if the problem is internal.

crystalkaz
May 5th, 2016, 11:57 AM
The thing is that I have a massive phobia of clinics.. I absolutely cannot stand going to the doctor, it has been a fear I have since young.

Would you recommend if I brought some Vitamin D from a local pharmacy and observe if this improves my hair loss?

lapushka
May 5th, 2016, 12:02 PM
No! Just go to a doctor, it's not worth it trying to avoid it. It's your health here. :flower: At one point you will need a doctor in your life. Better to try and go now and learn as you go. You do want to resolve this hair situation, right? Well, then... the first thing to do is to make sure you are okay healthwise.

Losing tons of hair is not normal, if it is more than just "spring shed" (because that is what's happening to a lot of us right now).

Don't go supplementing things you might not even need. That's the worst you can do.

Anje
May 5th, 2016, 12:13 PM
You don't know what's wrong. You can't go treating what you haven't identified.

Suck it up, make an appointment, and actually go. You have permission to be scared, but sometimes you have to deal with things that scare you, especially if they could get worse. (I'm telling myself this every day too. I know it's not easy.) Treat yourself to something nice afterward as a reward.

lapushka
May 5th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Yes, come on, you can do it. We'll all cheer you on. Would that help? :D

Sarahlabyrinth
May 5th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Also it's important for you to learn to be able to go to the doctor. There will be times in your life when you will need to go. Once you have been you will be able to feel proud of yourself that you were able to go :)

Stepo_NiNha
May 5th, 2016, 02:26 PM
I agree with what is abovementioned, go to a doctor. He/she is the only person that can tell whats wrong. Dont buy vitamin D if you dont know if its that what you need. It can be a lot of things: low iron, anemia, a dermatitis, BUT only a doctor is able to examinate.

Wusel
May 5th, 2016, 02:36 PM
I was suffering from social phobia. You know what helped? Finding a band and starting singing on stage in front of many people. It was hard in the beginning but: If I could do THIS having been a sociophobic you can go to the doctor!!! You have ALL MY SUPPORT!!! :cheer:

Darkhorse1
May 5th, 2016, 02:42 PM
You need to see a medical health care professional or you will lose not just hair, but more importantly, your health.

we all understand phobias, but this is not something you want to wait on. Losing your hair is a symptom of a bigger problem. There is no magical cure to make hair grow back without eliminating underlying causes. A medical doctor will run tests and determine what is wrong, and then send you to a dermatologist if there is no medical reason why you are losing your hair.

I would seek out therapy or a support group that can help you build your confidence to go and see a doctor. Or, see if you can bring a friend with you. Something to make your anxiety less--and call a clinic and explain your anxieties--they will totally understand :)

summergame
May 5th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Please go to a doctor, they could help you with this awful condition.

lapushka
May 5th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Yes! What Darkhorse says! Bring a parent or a friend. That will help tremendously. But, please... do go!

Pearly~91
May 5th, 2016, 04:04 PM
ETA 2: I'm sorry for the long post. It's a subject that really gets me worked up. I'm sorry that you are going through this.

If you are only experiencing minor thinning, watch out for your over all health. Eat properly, exercise regularly, get enough sleep and keep your stress level under control, try taking a multivitamin.

If you have hair that is thinning to the point where you are worried about being bald there is probably something medically wrong. If it is a medical problem, you need a doctor.

If you have a problem that is severe enough that you are balding, it's unlikely that you can self diagnose and treat it effectively. A doctor would be able to help you identify the problem and correct it sooner.

I sympathize with having difficulty going to the doctor, but at some point you will need to face it. I hate doctors, but I have multiple chronic diseases and am unable to live a normal life without someone watching over my health. I take it one appointment at a time. Find a good doctor, look into their background, maybe try looking for reviews. Prepare for the appointment with notes about your symptoms and questions that you have. If you can, bring someone with you that you trust.

ETA: If you dislike modern medicines and are looking for a more natural solution, there are doctors that specialize in forms of alternative medicine, Homoepathic doctors for example. I'm not sure where you are from or what they are called there, but there are all different types of doctors. You can find someone who advocates for more natural remedies.

Garnetgem
May 5th, 2016, 05:11 PM
I would go to a doctor first as if you experiment with many different things it can be never ending with guessing causing more stress in the long run which can lead to even more hair loss...you may not want to but all they will do is take a look at your scalp to check it over and ask a few questions...just think of the time your walking out it helps with the dread of going...nobody likes going but then again nobody likes to have hair loss and the not knowing why is more stressful than actualy going to the doctors..try to pluck up the courage to go best option in the long run..

Horrorpops
May 5th, 2016, 05:39 PM
I have nothing more to add than my support, a medical professional is the best way to go with this kind of thing. And as pointed out above it is critical you work to overcome this phobia now... Some phobias can impact your life and health more than others and not being able to see a doctor can have some pretty negative consequences.

Maybe ask some family or friends who they recommend? I think finding a nice, supportive, empathetic doctor you can start to feel comfortable with can make a big difference.

Good luck! We're all rooting for you :cheer:

crystalkaz
May 6th, 2016, 07:15 AM
Thank you all for all your awesome feedbacks and support! I feel really really really thankful, considering the fact that I am entirely new in this forum and I had so many replies :)

I promise all of you that I will definitely muster up the courage to go to see a doctor on my hair loss!!

Will probably ask my best friend along with me... Fingers crossed!

lapushka
May 6th, 2016, 07:35 AM
Oh that's wonderful! :)
Keep us posted on your progress.

Wusel
May 6th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Thank you all for all your awesome feedbacks and support! I feel really really really thankful, considering the fact that I am entirely new in this forum and I had so many replies :)

I promise all of you that I will definitely muster up the courage to go to see a doctor on my hair loss!!

Will probably ask my best friend along with me... Fingers crossed!

GREAT!!!!!!!! :joy: I definitely keep my fingers crossed for you!!! Keep us updated please! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Stepo_NiNha
May 6th, 2016, 09:01 AM
Im with you ;)