PDA

View Full Version : When your go to style stops working.

Nadine <3
May 5th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Anyone have this problem? My go to bun has been the lazy wrap bun for ages now but now all of the sudden it's just not working! My hair falls out of the bun, it's pulling somewhere uncomfortably, or it just doesn't look right! I tried some other buns, but my scalp is just NOT having it. The bun pulls or my scalp is sore...nothing feels comfortable right now besides a side braid or down. Even a french braid was to much for my scalp. :confused:

I do have SD, but I'm not having a flare up...Nothing itches, no flakes or bumps. I used Nizoral for a month straight just to make sure...but my scalp is still mad when I try and put my hair up.

what gives?!

MsPharaohMoan
May 5th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Might be because of the length you've gained, in which case you might need to experiment more with where you anchor your bun to accommodate the extra length and weight. Consider it an opportunity to learn a new bun, maybe one you had your eye on but didn't have the length for.

Also might be because you're conditioning too high up your length (I recently decided to stop conditioning at the base of my neck in hopes the hair there will be less slippery for bunning).

A tender scalp does sound like the beginning of a flare up, though I can't say I know much about SD. Maybe it's time to wash scalp? Also if you have a hair accessory with multiple prongs this can help distribute the weight of the bun.

spidermom
May 5th, 2016, 11:04 AM
I don't know about you, of course, but what happens to me is that increased hair length comes along with a degree of heaviness that can't be accommodated by one stick or one fork except on a rare occasion when the planets are in the correct alignment (or something). My best styles now are things that can be secured in at least two places. Today I have a french twist secured with a metal hair slide (a dragon - I love it) in the middle and a beak clip at the top. I also like to french or dutch braid across the back of my head and then pin the braid up with roller pins (long bobby pins). Two buns work pretty well also. If I get them pinned close enough together, they look like one very intricate bun.

Another tip I can give you is that the less I comb out my hair, the better my buns hold. I give it a good combing and sometimes brushing at night before bed, but the next morning I only smooth the surface of my hair so that I don't look completely disheveled. Of course when I want to braid I have to untangle all my hair to be able to divide it into sections.

Cg
May 5th, 2016, 11:17 AM
I second spidermom. Your usual styles will work one day and then suddenly you have too much length.

When this happens to me, I always try a new bun or two or three and use either lots of pins or a large fork to distribute the weight. After a few days, your hair and scalp will adjust, and you can gradually figure out ways to reduce the number of pins and/or use smaller implements as anchors.

Anje
May 5th, 2016, 11:39 AM
I usually have switched buns for a while, and it generally works. If you're a little more flexible for such things, it's also worth trying your same bun, but going the opposite direction. You'll likely have the tension a little different, and it might work better.

lapushka
May 5th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Have you tried a Nautilus? If my LWB stops working, that's what I plan on switching to.

Good on you for examining your scalp. It's important with SD (and I know because I have it too).

meteor
May 5th, 2016, 05:02 PM
I don't know about you, of course, but what happens to me is that increased hair length comes along with a degree of heaviness that can't be accommodated by one stick or one fork except on a rare occasion when the planets are in the correct alignment (or something).

That's exactly what I've experienced, too. :agree: I try to accommodate for that with a new style or just a new twist on an old style, like an extra loop for the LWB, for example.

So, when LWB got too heavy, sliding down and bulbous for me (TBL+ to Classic), I started doing the Spidermom's Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCvC_MU0To8) and the L-Infinity Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fzn4gNWIVQ). (I do all these styles starting from a braid.)

Also, here are two versions of LWB for Longer Hair that might be of help (by schmetterlinchen):
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNK0EPX7G1Q
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Sqx1uuCdE

RebekahE
May 5th, 2016, 07:46 PM
https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=8b6WVvzfV9U
This is the bun I've been using. I have been doing it with a braid because my hair is slippery. I use a stick but I just bought a fork and I'm hoping it will hold better, I go horse riding in it and it will occasionally slide down and I'll have to quick put it back up. For the most part it is very comfortable, sometimes I have to mess around with my stick placement to get it comfortable.

Chromis
May 5th, 2016, 08:26 PM
I get this too, although I don't think it is weight for me. It has more to do with how many wraps or where the tail lands up. If it stops at an awkward spot, it doesn't always secure as well. When this happens I play around with different styles until I find some new favourites. Often as I gain length I will suddenly find a past favourite suddenly works again as well (cinnabuns!)

Zebra Fish
May 6th, 2016, 06:17 AM
When lwb stopped working for me, I switched to nautilus. Whej sticks don't work, I try flexi. If that is also not working I take the ficcare. Which gets too heavy for me on occasions. Common braid falls apart too soon, and french/dutch I'm still an imbecile to manage it :p So... Cinnamonbun with 3 light clawclips (this is also the only thing I can run with). I'm quite challenged for different buns/braids/other updoes. But sometimes is enought to move it down to nape or a little bit up on the head.

pailin
May 6th, 2016, 06:22 AM
If it isn't working because it irritates my scalp or is just uncomfortable, for me that usually means I have a migraine headache or I'm close to one.

Nesoi
May 6th, 2016, 06:32 AM
This happened to me! Funnily enough LWB works fine again now I'm at waist! Try a disc bun :)

ravenheather
May 6th, 2016, 02:41 PM
I found my own just became awkward with my length/taper so I switched to wildcards's puffed "not"ilus. I just call it my diva bun. It's almost the only bun I wear now. Try that or regular nautilus or disc bun.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131084

ETA my version of Diva's bun looks completely different. That's it in my signature.

meteor
May 6th, 2016, 03:02 PM
I'm so happy to hear that some styles become possible again, after a long time of being outside the range of possibilities. :D I'm really hoping cinnabuns will start working for me at some point again, and of course, the trusty LWB, an old favorite! :crush:

Sometimes, the newly gained length just pushes us toward trying a new bun. :)