PDA

View Full Version : Bald patch update

marlb91
May 5th, 2016, 12:11 AM
A few months ago i posted a question about my hair falling out and it has grown back now so i thought i would write a post incase other people go through the same thing.

WARNING kinda gross

I had a cyst that became horrible infected and i had to have it drained, it went down but it was still really inflamed but not painful anymore. They told me i would have to go back to the hospital to have it removed (maybe) but after a few days of it being drained i could see something poking out of it so i got some tweezers and pulled it out. It was the sack so it actually never came back :)

After about a week i noticed some hair thinning around where the cyst was (ontop my head just above the fringe) and after about 2 weeks the area was completely bald. There was about a 2-3 inch diameter bald circle directly ontop of my head.

I wasn't sure if it was ever going to grow back but after 2-3 months i started to see growth and its been 6 months since i started to see hairfall and its all back now.

On a side note i can't believe that if the sack hadn't fallen out the cyst would have come back and if it hadn't got infected the doctors would have just left it there. I think a cyst has to have been infected at least 3 times before they will remove it. I would have been bald with a giant cyst on my head!

So if anyone goes through this i hope they read this and get some reassurance.

SIDE NOTE edit: i read that where the cyst actually was the hair might not grow back at all but i have full coverage :)

Sweets
May 5th, 2016, 12:28 AM
Thank you for the informative post!

Completely (somewhat) unrelated ... in 2015, I had a cyst on my lower back. It had been growing for about a year, with me squeezing it occasionally. The doctors wouldn't remove it, because it was deemed as "cosmetic." Well, they would have removed it, I would have just had to pay cash for it. I moved across the country, and was without insurance between jobs (had to wait 90 days). I bumped the cyst on a kitchen work area right after starting my new job, and it got infected. I paid cash for the CVS Minute Clinic visit, and got antibiotics, but it never got better. I felt like I had an overgrowth of scar tissue, but it was still infected even after antibiotics. I took two courses of antibiotics while waiting for my insurance to kick in. Never got better, kept growing over with "scar tissue."

The moment I got insurance, I went to an urgent care facility for $35. The guy absolutely FLOORED me when he said it looked like cancer. I didn't believe him, but I got the referral for a skin cancer/dermatologist. I'm 27, was 26 at the time. I never tanned.

Turns out that the cyst had turned into Squamous Cell Carcinoma. I was madder than hell. Two surgeries later, and a LOT of $$ even with insurance, I am cancer free ... but it's only been 6 months or so. Anywho...

Doctors need to take out cysts, not wait for them to turn to cancer. I understand that this is very rare - not even 1% - but cysts can be very dangerous if they are on your head/neck!! Especially on the head/neck. It makes me so angry, understandably, when I hear that doctors won't take something out that is bothering you and very clearly affecting you.

Marlb91, I'm sorry for what you went through. Please understand that I completely feel your pain. I am so glad that you took matters into your own hands, even when others would not. Be proud of yourself, and I am happy that your hair is growing back. My cute lower back dimples...well, one is cute, and the other is a huge red gash now. Not that I mind my scars, because I am stronger for them, but sheesh. What if we had become septic from the infections?!

Hugs.

pahbee
May 5th, 2016, 01:42 AM
Wow. That sounds terrible to go through, I'm so sorry for that. On the other hand, it sounds like the hairs on that spot are starting to grow back with a vengeance so that's very encouraging to hear!

marlb91
May 5th, 2016, 02:11 AM
Thank you for the informative post!

Completely (somewhat) unrelated ... in 2015, I had a cyst on my lower back. It had been growing for about a year, with me squeezing it occasionally. The doctors wouldn't remove it, because it was deemed as "cosmetic." Well, they would have removed it, I would have just had to pay cash for it. I moved across the country, and was without insurance between jobs (had to wait 90 days). I bumped the cyst on a kitchen work area right after starting my new job, and it got infected. I paid cash for the CVS Minute Clinic visit, and got antibiotics, but it never got better. I felt like I had an overgrowth of scar tissue, but it was still infected even after antibiotics. I took two courses of antibiotics while waiting for my insurance to kick in. Never got better, kept growing over with "scar tissue."

The moment I got insurance, I went to an urgent care facility for $35. The guy absolutely FLOORED me when he said it looked like cancer. I didn't believe him, but I got the referral for a skin cancer/dermatologist. I'm 27, was 26 at the time. I never tanned.

Turns out that the cyst had turned into Squamous Cell Carcinoma. I was madder than hell. Two surgeries later, and a LOT of $$ even with insurance, I am cancer free ... but it's only been 6 months or so. Anywho...

Doctors need to take out cysts, not wait for them to turn to cancer. I understand that this is very rare - not even 1% - but cysts can be very dangerous if they are on your head/neck!! Especially on the head/neck. It makes me so angry, understandably, when I hear that doctors won't take something out that is bothering you and very clearly affecting you.

Marlb91, I'm sorry for what you went through. Please understand that I completely feel your pain. I am so glad that you took matters into your own hands, even when others would not. Be proud of yourself, and I am happy that your hair is growing back. My cute lower back dimples...well, one is cute, and the other is a huge red gash now. Not that I mind my scars, because I am stronger for them, but sheesh. What if we had become septic from the infections?!

Hugs.

I am absolutely speechless and had no idea that cysts could do that! I'm so glad that you are ok now. That's the thing with cysts isn't it, its so easy to bumb them, i'm pretty sure mine came because i bumped my head and i kept bumping it because it was in that area. Here's to being cyst free! it's such a lovely feeling x

marlb91
May 5th, 2016, 02:12 AM
thankyou! i Think they have a little thickening up to do even now but the longest are about 3 inches :) on a side not where my cyst actually was the hair has actually grown back so i don't have a bald patch at all, ill add that to my post now

Sweets
May 6th, 2016, 12:15 AM
I am absolutely speechless and had no idea that cysts could do that! I'm so glad that you are ok now. That's the thing with cysts isn't it, its so easy to bumb them, i'm pretty sure mine came because i bumped my head and i kept bumping it because it was in that area. Here's to being cyst free! it's such a lovely feeling x

I didn't either until it happened! I'm so glad you are cyst free now, too. And that the hair has grown back! It's like your hair coming back was triumphing over the pain and aggravation and the long ordeal you went through. You are home-free now!