PDA

View Full Version : Bun causing dry ends?

Wolfie
May 4th, 2016, 01:16 PM
I rarely wear buns, but today I did to get my hair out of the way. Well I took my bun down and my usually soft, shiny ends were rough, dull and dry. I never wrap the ends all the way into the bun. So why is it that my ends end up like this when buns are protective styles?

parkmikii
May 4th, 2016, 01:25 PM
Buns with the ends in are considered protective for the ends. I've never had this problem. My daily bun is a braided nautilus and when I take it down the ends are always soft and nice. Perhaps you could try tucking the ends in next time and see how that works?

meteor
May 4th, 2016, 01:28 PM
I rarely wear buns, but today I did to get my hair out of the way. Well I took my bun down and my usually soft, shiny ends were rough, dull and dry. I never wrap the ends all the way into the bun. So why is it that my ends end up like this when buns are protective styles?

I have this problem if I leave the ends out. Ends sticking out will rub on things (collars/hats/etc) and will be exposed to wind and sun. Try tucking them in. If even tucked in length gets dry, I'd recommend using an oil on damp ends or layering with leave-ins and oil/serum (e.g. LOC) before bunning the hair.

Wolfie
May 4th, 2016, 01:30 PM
:pray:Hmm. Maybe that might be the solution. Usually I use a clip or claw clip but today I used a ponytail to secure a cinnamon bun (a bun I hardly ever do) :pray:

Wolfie
May 4th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Oh see that makes sense!! Thank you!:doh:

Mimha
May 4th, 2016, 01:45 PM
Yes, tucking the ends into the bun is very protective, and it is one of the aim of bunning. If you tuck them close to your scalp, they can even benefit of the scalp proximity to get some sebum too (which was my secret for soft ends during many years before I even knew about LHC^^). :)

spidermom
May 4th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Tucking ends in is protective, but be aware that the bun can shift and scrunch up the ends, which might make them look damaged if you're not ready for it. They aren't, just sort of wadded up looking.

samanthaa
May 4th, 2016, 02:24 PM
I notice that, because I have very fine, silky, straight hair, when I bun my hair, the bun waves end up giving my hair some texture, which makes my hair not lie flat, and not lying flat sometimes feels like "dryness" even though I know logically it isn't.

Llama
May 4th, 2016, 03:09 PM
This happens to me if I put my hair up into a bun while it is still damp. I don't understand it, but happens every time- ends will be crisp and dry feeling when I take it down.
If I bun my hair while it is dry it is always smooth when I take it down. Who knows lol
I usually keep the ends tucked into my bun, though.

Anje
May 4th, 2016, 03:28 PM
Tuck them in and secure with something other than an elastic (which tends to put pressure on delicate ends and crinkles them, also makes for less comfortable buns in my opinion). Spin pins are much-loved, and those big "roller pin" bobby pins aren't awful. Otherwise, jaw clips, sticks, forks, pencils, etc. are great.

Magalo
May 4th, 2016, 05:11 PM
This happens to me if I put my hair up into a bun while it is still damp. I don't understand it, but happens every time- ends will be crisp and dry feeling when I take it down.
If I bun my hair while it is dry it is always smooth when I take it down. Who knows lol
I usually keep the ends tucked into my bun, though.

Ah, it's the opposite with mine. Damp bunning equals beautifully moisurized ends and dry bunning mean crinkly dry ends!

Llama
May 4th, 2016, 05:37 PM
Ah, it's the opposite with mine. Damp bunning equals beautifully moisurized ends and dry bunning mean crinkly dry ends!

I feel like that's how it works for most people on here, I don't know what's wrong with me! Haha

lithostoic
May 4th, 2016, 09:02 PM
I leave out a couple inches of my ends, but then tuck them in using a bobby pin after oiling them.

lapushka
May 5th, 2016, 06:56 AM
Mine are always tucked in, and I have no issues with dryness. I do, however, moisturize well when it's freshly washed and damp out of the towel (LOC method, sometimes rinse-out oil method (ROOM)--> links are in my signature).

cosmic crusader
May 5th, 2016, 12:59 PM
I get this too, especially if I twist my buns... I don't twist my hair anymore!

yahirwaO.o
May 5th, 2016, 09:32 PM
Hmm interesting. Sometimes my ends are just fine and silky and sometimes my ends feels a bit crispy. It doesnt matter if I bun damp or dry., but if I oil it does make a difference. This is one of these things when I suspect that hair has a total life on it own!! :p

Zebra Fish
May 6th, 2016, 06:24 AM
If I understoof right, you don't use stcks or forks? You can try cinnamonbun (without elastic to start with) and secure it with 2-3 claw clips arround. It's easy to do, easy to redo if needed and easy to tuck the ends in. You also distribute the weight arround and it's pretty flat.

May 6th, 2016, 07:43 AM
Waah... come on... braids not protecting ends and now dangerous buns? Just too creepy, lol. I hope you mean they got curled/waved from bun and that's why they don't look sleek...

Wosie
May 6th, 2016, 08:10 AM
I feel like that's how it works for most people on here, I don't know what's wrong with me! Haha

Don't worry, my hair suffers from the exact same thing. ;( I won't damp-bun anymore, after having gone through two really dry and icky (lots of bent and crinkled ends) experiences in the past. shudder: