PDA

View Full Version : Trimming help needed!

Anya15
May 4th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Hi everyone :)

I am currently close to waist, and although my hair is healthy, I have been noticing quite a few splits. Now I am doing regular s&d. But I am thinking that if the splits become too much, I might have to do a micro trim once I am a bit past waist...

The problem with that is that my hair is layered. Heavily. The splits are mostly on the longest part of my hair, but that itself is two layers I think. Now how do I go about trimming this? My hair has a V hem, so can I get away with feye's method?

Wusel
May 4th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Since you've asked I'm searching on YouTube for an idea how to do this... Not that easy... Most suggestions are to trim until the layers even up and sealing the split ends with stuff like this L'Oreal split end fluid... How long is the distance between the two layers?

meteor
May 4th, 2016, 12:27 PM
So the splits are at the very end of the length (last 2 layers) and in a V shape? Well, that's not too bad at all and easier to trim than if you had splits on many layers, including shorter layers ;)

So basically (unless you want a different shape altogether), you'd possibly need to trim off the point of the V, kind of like:
\....../
.\__/
..\ / <-- with splits concentrated in this bottom section

It looks like a U or V/U shape can probably keep most of the length while trimming away those splits, but of course, you can decide on any shape you like.
By the way, we just had a really good discussion on self-trimming methods over at The Classic to Knee Thread. It kept going for a few pages, I'd suggest reading posts around this post by LongCurlyTress (her post gives good details on Spidermom's method): http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34987&p=3215985&viewfull=1#post3215985

Since your hair is textured, it may be a bit more complicated (since it's important to respect the curl/wave pattern while cutting for best curl formation later), and I'd certainly recommend cutting on dry hair.

Best of luck! :cheer:

lapushka
May 4th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Definitely, like meteor said, cut on dry hair. Make it on the last day before you wash, when the waves have sagged, then comb, and brush them out. Feye's V or U method will certainly work. Read the instructions carefully, though!

Anya15
May 4th, 2016, 11:50 PM
I will check out that thread, thanks everyone! I probably won't have to trim for another month or so, and if the splits aren't too bad I might even wait till tailbone, so I have time to figure it out...