PDA

View Full Version : Prevent breakage while wearing down?

Ailurophile
May 4th, 2016, 10:10 AM
I know hair breakage is inevitable, and wearing your hair up protects it from breaking. But, is there any way to protect it while having it down? E.g from bag/backpack straps, seat belts, coats, the wind, whatever else attacks my hair.shudder: My hair gets dirty quicker when it's up, and I frankly just enjoy having it down, but I still want to protect it!!! :)

Any tips?:confused::confused:

Sarahlabyrinth
May 4th, 2016, 10:24 AM
You will have to keep moving it out of the way all the time, if you sit down , bring it forward over your shoulders so you aren't leaning on it, move it aside out of the way of purse straps, car seat belts etc.etc. you get the idea. For me, doing all that annoys me more than just keeping it up....

Stepo_NiNha
May 4th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Good thread.

I would like to wear my hair down more often, specially on weekends, but I'm afraid I can have more breakage; so I will be around to read some tips if you guys have some that have been working for you.

Its comfortable to wear my hair up but I only enjoy it when I'm working :o

Anje
May 4th, 2016, 11:02 AM
Move it out of the way of straps, pull it forward over shoulders if you're going to sit down and lean back. Basic habits like that aren't too hard to establish and they go a long way. Being extra-careful when detangling is probably my biggest tip, and given that more tangles happen when hair is loose, it becomes that much more important. :D

meteor
May 4th, 2016, 11:21 AM
- wearing silky smooth tops, avoiding lint-inducing materials like flannel, wool on scarves/collars, avoiding zippers when wearing it down;

- half-ups, small twists, accent braids, headbands, etc to keep hair somewhat controlled;

- wearing hair on the side, moving it out of the way when needed;

- being very mindful of bag straps, chair backs, door knobs, etc, etc...

meteor
May 4th, 2016, 12:03 PM
Oh, and I think silicones and other slip agents can be pretty helpful when wearing it down, just to limit tangling. Silicone serums, leave-in conditioners, etc can all help, but at the same time, it's important not to overdo it, because products tend to attract lint, dust, etc (ultimately causing more tangles), and it can be a huge issue when wearing hair down (especially if it's a "big" mass, with large surface area - long/thick/textured...), as the mane can act like a spider-web for all things floating in the air. :lol:

Also, I think it doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing approach: one can wear hair down when seated inside and hazards are minimized, but up when it's windy or sunny or when you are being active... Personally, I always need to keep a stick and/or hair tie on me if the hair is down.

MlleMC
May 4th, 2016, 02:26 PM
For one thing, I don't wear my hair down outside anymore. Last time I did, the tangles that followed were so bad that I now make sure to contain it whenever I go outside. Most of the time, I'll do a nape ponytail and add one elastic band every foot or so (quick to do, no braid waves, fits under a bike helmet, and no risk of it getting undone if I have to run).

I also put my hair up for tasks that could be damaging, and then put it down again when I'm done.

samanthaa
May 4th, 2016, 02:37 PM
If I want to wear my hair down during the day time, I'll usually bun or braid it at least for the morning commute (waiting for the subway = wind, and on the subway = many people rubbing up against me), then let it down once I get to work. Generally if I'm having a "hair down" day, I'll keep it contained if I know I'm going to be outside for long periods of time. Wind and the elements are not my friends. They make my hair look piecey (and also lead to tangles).

I agree with meteor about always having a stick or hair tie on hand. I get so annoyed with my hair throughout the course of the day (just sitting at my desk!) that it will end up going up for a while before coming down again.

RavennaNight
May 5th, 2016, 07:11 AM
I find my hair has more down-wearability when I use silicone protectants and blow dry it out straight and get rid of the occasional kinks and waves. (That may not be your hair type/preference) It generally behaves well being worn down and do this. Bag straps are annoying, I just ensure I pull my hair out of the way of straps. Hmm, maybe that is why i despise pocketbooks and only see them as a necessary evil... But I digress... Silicones and move hair. Also, I keep a clip, soft scrunchie or stick with me for when I need to use the restroom.

Ailurophile
May 5th, 2016, 10:30 AM
You will have to keep moving it out of the way all the time, if you sit down , bring it forward over your shoulders so you aren't leaning on it, move it aside out of the way of purse straps, car seat belts etc.etc. you get the idea. For me, doing all that annoys me more than just keeping it up....

Thankfully, this is a habit I pretty much always do. My hair isn't quite long enough to annoy me for this, yet, (BSL, had much longer before) but it might one I've got some length! :)

Good thread.

I would like to wear my hair down more often, specially on weekends, but I'm afraid I can have more breakage; so I will be around to read some tips if you guys have some that have been working for you.

I enjoy having my hair down I am literally just worried about the breakage! If I'm out and about I'm usually fine with it up, except on clean hair days because then it just falls right back down! But when I'm at home, messing around, probably laying down in my bed at 5 different points, big buns on the back of my head annoy me!

Move it out of the way of straps, pull it forward over shoulders if you're going to sit down and lean back. Basic habits like that aren't too hard to establish and they go a long way. Being extra-careful when detangling is probably my biggest tip, and given that more tangles happen when hair is loose, it becomes that much more important. :D

I think I have these habits down, thankfully! :) I'm trying to be super careful when brushing, is hard to get used to, and takes a lil more time, but the results are worth it!

- wearing silky smooth tops, avoiding lint-inducing materials like flannel, wool on scarves/collars, avoiding zippers when wearing it down;

- half-ups, small twists, accent braids, headbands, etc to keep hair somewhat controlled;

- wearing hair on the side, moving it out of the way when needed;

- being very mindful of bag straps, chair backs, door knobs, etc, etc...

Oh, and I think silicones and other slip agents can be pretty helpful when wearing it down, just to limit tangling. Silicone serums, leave-in conditioners, etc can all help, but at the same time, it's important not to overdo it, because products tend to attract lint, dust, etc (ultimately causing more tangles), and it can be a huge issue when wearing hair down (especially if it's a "big" mass, with large surface area - long/thick/textured...), as the mane can act like a spider-web for all things floating in the air. :lol:

Also, I think it doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing approach: one can wear hair down when seated inside and hazards are minimized, but up when it's windy or sunny or when you are being active... Personally, I always need to keep a stick and/or hair tie on me if the hair is down.

If I am doing something, I cannot stand hair on my face so I usually do the half-up-half-down type of things, one of my problem is that on clean hair days its just too soft to wear up! Falls straight back down on me :( I enjoy having my hair down so usually, if I'm just chilling, I'll take it down and then put it back up again when I'm on the move :)

For one thing, I don't wear my hair down outside anymore. Last time I did, the tangles that followed were so bad that I now make sure to contain it whenever I go outside. Most of the time, I'll do a nape ponytail and add one elastic band every foot or so (quick to do, no braid waves, fits under a bike helmet, and no risk of it getting undone if I have to run).

I also put my hair up for tasks that could be damaging, and then put it down again when I'm done.
I usually throw it up if I'm doing something. Although I wonder, does putting it up and taking it down over and over damage it more! :confused:

If I want to wear my hair down during the day time, I'll usually bun or braid it at least for the morning commute (waiting for the subway = wind, and on the subway = many people rubbing up against me), then let it down once I get to work. Generally if I'm having a "hair down" day, I'll keep it contained if I know I'm going to be outside for long periods of time. Wind and the elements are not my friends. They make my hair look piecey (and also lead to tangles).

I agree with meteor about always having a stick or hair tie on hand. I get so annoyed with my hair throughout the course of the day (just sitting at my desk!) that it will end up going up for a while before coming down again.

Yeah, if I'm out in wind/public I usually put my hair up, too risky! I am very used to my hair down so putting it up regularly is a new thing for me and I find its the other way around, hair up too long = annoying for long periods of time I just rip the hairstyle out shudder:

I find my hair has more down-wearability when I use silicone protectants and blow dry it out straight and get rid of the occasional kinks and waves. (That may not be your hair type/preference) It generally behaves well being worn down and do this. Bag straps are annoying, I just ensure I pull my hair out of the way of straps. Hmm, maybe that is why i despise pocketbooks and only see them as a necessary evil... But I digress... Silicones and move hair. Also, I keep a clip, soft scrunchie or stick with me for when I need to use the restroom.

I don't think making my hair smoother will help me as one of the problems I'm having is that when my hair is clean its too slippery to wear up!

MsPharaohMoan
May 5th, 2016, 10:52 AM
It's not just that it keeps it smoother but that it forms a sort of shield around the cuticle.

Anje
May 5th, 2016, 11:31 AM
I usually throw it up if I'm doing something. Although I wonder, does putting it up and taking it down over and over damage it more! :confused:
I imagine this depends on how gentle your quick updos are. I'm another who will twist her hair into a quick nautilus or something if it's in the way, and I don't think this does any harm at all. Certainly less harm than having my hair get in the way would do, I'd think, and it probably saves a little on the cumulative tangles. If you're a person who struggles with breaking hairs when you throw your hair up, it might be a problem, but I can't help thinking that the people who break hairs doing updos need more practice at it anyway.

I personally might put a little oil in my length, but it always seems like silicone serum increases the fairy knots that I get and makes my hair more tangly about 2-3 days after application. So I don't bother with it.

school of fish
May 5th, 2016, 12:12 PM
So - I'm one of those people who wears her hair down most of the time, and I'm almost at tailbone ;) The advice given above is all great, from keeping hair clear of straps, etc., to using silicones for slip, to keeping a stick on hand at all times in case you need to get the hair out of harm's way - I do all these things :)

I think the two biggest things that prevent damage for me are 1) always being mindful of my hair in relation to anything that may catch it, and 2) detangling gently several times a day so that tangles just aren't allowed to get past the point of no return. The frequent detangling is something that probably works for me because of my particular hair texture, it probably wouldn't be an option for just everyone and I recognize that ;) Avoiding hazards though is sound advice for everyone, which does mean constantly moving your hair out of the way of jacket zippers, seatbelts, bag straps, what have you... it becomes second nature, now for me it's just part of the way I move instinctively :)

I understand and accept the wisdom of keeping your hair in a protective style, but for me personally my hair is so slippery and fine it falls out of updos and braids repeatedly, and I find the redoing of my hair several times a day to be more damaging than just letting the strands be free. I also love to enjoy the length loose - for me I'd lose so much of the enjoyment of having long hair if I kept it contained all the time. I accept that there will be some inevitable mechanical damage keeping it loose, but it's minimal and I'm willing to live with it - I'd rather enjoy my hair the way I want to enjoy it :D

Also, I have no interest in growing past TBL, so there's another reason why I can get away with keeping it down. If I were growing longer I know I would have to be containing it, I'm under no illusions about that, haha! But tailbone is truly the longest I ever want it to get, and I give it very gentle and loving care, so I haven't felt the need to adjust any of established habits as I've approached my goal length :)

Stepo_NiNha
May 5th, 2016, 01:47 PM
So - I'm one of those people who wears her hair down most of the time, and I'm almost at tailbone ;) The advice given above is all great, from keeping hair clear of straps, etc., to using silicones for slip, to keeping a stick on hand at all times in case you need to get the hair out of harm's way - I do all these things :)

I think the two biggest things that prevent damage for me are 1) always being mindful of my hair in relation to anything that may catch it, and 2) detangling gently several times a day so that tangles just aren't allowed to get past the point of no return. The frequent detangling is something that probably works for me because of my particular hair texture, it probably wouldn't be an option for just everyone and I recognize that ;) Avoiding hazards though is sound advice for everyone, which does mean constantly moving your hair out of the way of jacket zippers, seatbelts, bag straps, what have you... it becomes second nature, now for me it's just part of the way I move instinctively :)

I understand and accept the wisdom of keeping your hair in a protective style, but for me personally my hair is so slippery and fine it falls out of updos and braids repeatedly, and I find the redoing of my hair several times a day to be more damaging than just letting the strands be free. I also love to enjoy the length loose - for me I'd lose so much of the enjoyment of having long hair if I kept it contained all the time. I accept that there will be some inevitable mechanical damage keeping it loose, but it's minimal and I'm willing to live with it - I'd rather enjoy my hair the way I want to enjoy it :D

Also, I have no interest in growing past TBL, so there's another reason why I can get away with keeping it down. If I were growing longer I know I would have to be containing it, I'm under no illusions about that, haha! But tailbone is truly the longest I ever want it to get, and I give it very gentle and loving care, so I haven't felt the need to adjust any of established habits as I've approached my goal length :)

And your hair is absolutely amazing!

Lavendersugar
May 5th, 2016, 05:01 PM
I'm an all down gal. I put it up in high loose pony at night or when going on walks. I really dislike my hair up. I just never cared for how I look with my hair up. Plus it slips out and I can't stand product.
Now IMO my hair is still short. It's about 4 inches from my waist but it feel short. I find the Mir moisturized I keep my hair the less breakage or split ends I get.

Now I'm by no means an anti silicone person but I had been using them daily for over a year and I clarify once a week. I don't know what went on but my hair became crazy dry. I'm very oily and to me this felt weird. I had no idea what to do. I had started doing weekly Castro oil treatments so this could have been the culprit. When I stopped the oil treatments I still could not get back my silky hair. I even tried salon stuff despite never liking salon products. Finally I cut out silicones and things started to get back to normal. I had breakage and split ends during this two month time. I've never had a split end issue but I saw several. Breakage I get of I'm not using enough moisture on the ends or too much protein. This I knew how to handle. Split ends freaked me out. Either way I'm not sure if I will go back to Castro oil and I do use cones it won't be in my shampoo.

I said all that because for me moisture is my key to no breakage. I try to be mindful of my hair too.

I'd probably do more damage wearing my hair up.

meteor
May 5th, 2016, 05:34 PM
If I'm out and about I'm usually fine with it up, except on clean hair days because then it just falls right back down!
[...]
If I am doing something, I cannot stand hair on my face so I usually do the half-up-half-down type of things, one of my problem is that on clean hair days its just too soft to wear up! Falls straight back down on me :(
[...]
... one of the problems I'm having is that when my hair is clean its too slippery to wear up!

If the hair slides out of updos too easily (and I have this problem, too), I'd recommend trying braided buns (they hold much better than unbraided equivalent buns): e.g. braided cinnabun, braided LWB, Ellingwoman braided bun, braided disc bun, braided Chinese bun, Vortex bun, etc.

Doing an accent braid or two at the base/scalp or French/Dutch/lace-braiding some of the hair can provide some grip for the bun to hold better and add interest to the updo, too.

Ellethwyn
May 5th, 2016, 05:45 PM
If I'm being lazy and don't want to put my hair up, but don't want it to get damaged, I tuck my hair into my shirt while cleaning, cooking, gardening... ;)

Ailurophile
May 6th, 2016, 12:33 PM
I imagine this depends on how gentle your quick updos are. I'm another who will twist her hair into a quick nautilus or something if it's in the way, and I don't think this does any harm at all. Certainly less harm than having my hair get in the way would do, I'd think, and it probably saves a little on the cumulative tangles. If you're a person who struggles with breaking hairs when you throw your hair up, it might be a problem, but I can't help thinking that the people who break hairs doing updos need more practice at it anyway.

I personally might put a little oil in my length, but it always seems like silicone serum increases the fairy knots that I get and makes my hair more tangly about 2-3 days after application. So I don't bother with it.
I don't seem to have a problem with hair breakage if I do an updo, but it seems that if I'm trying 5 different ones trying to decide, I end up breaking it that way some how!

This sounds good! Did you keep your hair up when you were growing it, or just now you're at this length?

I'm an all down gal. I put it up in high loose pony at night or when going on walks. I really dislike my hair up. I just never cared for how I look with my hair up. Plus it slips out and I can't stand product.
Now IMO my hair is still short. It's about 4 inches from my waist but it feel short. I find the Mir moisturized I keep my hair the less breakage or split ends I get.

Now I'm by no means an anti silicone person but I had been using them daily for over a year and I clarify once a week. I don't know what went on but my hair became crazy dry. I'm very oily and to me this felt weird. I had no idea what to do. I had started doing weekly Castro oil treatments so this could have been the culprit. When I stopped the oil treatments I still could not get back my silky hair. I even tried salon stuff despite never liking salon products. Finally I cut out silicones and things started to get back to normal. I had breakage and split ends during this two month time. I've never had a split end issue but I saw several. Breakage I get of I'm not using enough moisture on the ends or too much protein. This I knew how to handle. Split ends freaked me out. Either way I'm not sure if I will go back to Castro oil and I do use cones it won't be in my shampoo.

I said all that because for me moisture is my key to no breakage. I try to be mindful of my hair too.

I'd probably do more damage wearing my hair up.

I think I manage to damage it more by wearing it up too! I don't know much about silicones to be frank :confused:

If the hair slides out of updos too easily (and I have this problem, too), I'd recommend trying braided buns (they hold much better than unbraided equivalent buns): e.g. braided cinnabun, braided LWB, Ellingwoman braided bun, braided disc bun, braided Chinese bun, Vortex bun, etc.

Doing an accent braid or two at the base/scalp or French/Dutch/lace-braiding some of the hair can provide some grip for the bun to hold better and add interest to the updo, too.
I have never thought of braidied buns, such a good idea!!! Thank you

If I'm being lazy and don't want to put my hair up, but don't want it to get damaged, I tuck my hair into my shirt while cleaning, cooking, gardening... ;)
Sounds like the easiest fix :applause:lol:

Groovy Granny
May 6th, 2016, 12:48 PM

:thumbsup: How easy....and I never gave it a thought LOL

Ellethwyn
May 6th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Sounds like the easiest fix :applause:lol:

:thumbsup: How easy....and I never gave it a thought LOL

;) I do it all the time. My husband comes home from work and pulls my hair out from my shirt and says, "There! Now I can see your beautiful hair."

Groovy Granny
May 6th, 2016, 12:59 PM
;) I do it all the time. My husband comes home from work and pulls my hair out from my shirt and says, "There! Now I can see your beautiful hair."
Awww that's sweet of him :)

school of fish
May 6th, 2016, 03:06 PM
In answer to your question a few posts back Ailurophile, I've worn my hair down throughout :) Over the course of my life so far I've grown and chopped back and forth from blunt hip+ length to a chin-length bob about 3 times or so, and have never had anything shorter than around waist for the last decade. Worn down that entire time ;)

I should mention - I do wear it up at night! I started that a couple years ago and found that I can avoid most sleep tangling if I bun it on top of my head. Ensuring a smoother morning combout has undoubtedly helped me avoid a lot of accrued damage :)

MlleMC
May 9th, 2016, 10:03 AM

For me it only works to a certain extent. I do it fairly often for quick things, like washing dishes. But I had to stop putting my hair in my coat on rainy days because I'd end up with tangles around the neck area (and it restricted my neck movements if I wanted the hair to stay in place).

Ailurophile
May 12th, 2016, 12:30 PM
In answer to your question a few posts back Ailurophile, I've worn my hair down throughout :) Over the course of my life so far I've grown and chopped back and forth from blunt hip+ length to a chin-length bob about 3 times or so, and have never had anything shorter than around waist for the last decade. Worn down that entire time ;)

I should mention - I do wear it up at night! I started that a couple years ago and found that I can avoid most sleep tangling if I bun it on top of my head. Ensuring a smoother morning combout has undoubtedly helped me avoid a lot of accrued damage :)

I bun my hair at the top of my head and found that I was getting breakage at the back of my head and had few inches long pieces which have broken from the high bun! The silk sleeping cap I purchased has just arrived in the post today so hopefully I can avoid the breaking and still keep the ends nice and safe!

school of fish
May 12th, 2016, 01:04 PM
I bun my hair at the top of my head and found that I was getting breakage at the back of my head and had few inches long pieces which have broken from the high bun! The silk sleeping cap I purchased has just arrived in the post today so hopefully I can avoid the breaking and still keep the ends nice and safe!

Oh goodness, yes by all means if a high bun is causing breakage then an alternate method is the way to go for sure! I hope the silk cap is the answer for you :)

We're all so unique in what works and what doesn't - there really is more than one right way! It's all about finding what's right for *you* :D

yahirwaO.o
May 12th, 2016, 08:07 PM
school of fish Yes I wear mine 90% loose and its also a second nature thing now! Contant moving my hair and be aware of elements around me. Sometimes I even flip or lif it up for belts and bag straps and people around are stunnished! Its a funny reaction sometimes :p

Lavendersugar Yes I've never really care about my hair up. And I also feel it is way more damaging because I need product or twisting.braiding tightly. It only goes up when Im feeling sad or I'm doing super intense stuff!

As I've metion I wear my hair down and breakage is not a real issue for me. I detangle a lot a lot during the day and I always deep condition my hair with olive oil the night befreo washing and that seems to do job of not getting tangles. Winds for example, the only problem I have is probably that it get in my eyes, but my hair won't tangle or be matted even if its super hard.

Another thing that helps If you are keeping a certain lenght or you micro trim a lot (my case) it helps a lot with breakage, split ends and tangles!

... so yeah this way I'm able to rock the down hair look all the time and feeling pretty happy about it!!!

RottenMango
May 16th, 2019, 02:58 AM
Heavy seal the ends and be cognizant of keeping the length of your hair from getting caught in anything.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 16th, 2019, 03:01 AM

You could also wear a silk or satin shirt to minimise friction on your clothing.

Wusel
May 16th, 2019, 03:51 AM
Good thread.

SAME! :) Will follow :)

lapushka
May 16th, 2019, 05:34 AM
I know hair breakage is inevitable, and wearing your hair up protects it from breaking. But, is there any way to protect it while having it down? E.g from bag/backpack straps, seat belts, coats, the wind, whatever else attacks my hair.shudder: My hair gets dirty quicker when it's up, and I frankly just enjoy having it down, but I still want to protect it!!! :)

Any tips?:confused::confused:

There is just no way to keep it from the damage of a backpack, purse straps, etc.

I would keep it plenty moisturized, and I think that's about all you can do.