PDA

View Full Version : Hairpin bliss?

SwanFeathers
May 4th, 2016, 09:12 AM
I finally found some hairpins that dont damage my hair!!!
They are amish made, 3" crinkled stainless steel and they work wonderfully.
keeps my wavy and unrully shoulder length hair in a french twist with only 2 as opposed to the 15 standard bobby pins i would usually use.
Has anyone else fallen in love with fisher wire's hairpins? :D

Groovy Granny
May 4th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Nope..... haven't felt the bliss yet :p
I have straight ones that have gone unused because they don't hold; bought them when I was new and had no clue lol...should have gotten the crinkled.

I also have unused clear plastic pins.

Spin pins are my go to pins these days....but I plan to pull these 2 out to retry now that I have more length....plus Summer humidity triples my volume/curls.

hopefullocks
May 4th, 2016, 09:30 AM
I have not tried those as I've been using mini spin pins until my layers get a little more length. The hairpin struggle can be so real! I am glad you've found some that work so well for you.

Anje
May 4th, 2016, 11:07 AM
Amish hairpins are the best! I recently upgraded from straight ones to crinkled ones, and I like them even more.

Groovy Granny
May 4th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Amish hairpins are the best! I recently upgraded from straight ones to crinkled ones, and I like them even more.

Is there any way to make the straight ones workable?

I tried giving them a squeeze while inserting them with the usual insertion protocol ...not sure if it helped any lol

I may end up splurging for crinkles just to have the experience.

Cg
May 4th, 2016, 11:34 AM
I use both straight and crinkly long Amish pins. My guess is they stay in better with wavy or curly hair, but for a couple of hours they're fine even for slick straight hair.

Anje
May 4th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Is there any way to make the straight ones workable?

I tried giving them a squeeze while inserting them with the usual insertion protocol ...not sure if it helped any lol

I may end up splurging for crinkles just to have the experience.

Bend them out so they're more V-shaped when they're relaxed, perhaps. Then when you squeeze them parallel-ish, they'll spring back a little more and have a bit more resistance to sliding out.

lapushka
May 4th, 2016, 01:12 PM
I have my Amish pins (plain & crinkled) in a drawer. I barely ever used them, but I keep them because I'm sure someday they're going to be useful. I'm pretty faithful to my LWB, but who knows. I might feel the need to change it up in the future, and then those pins will perhaps be really handy.

reilly0167
May 4th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Wow I never heard of these, are they really sturdy? Because I have the regular U shaped bobby bins but they are flimsy and I have to shape them back.

Anje
May 4th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Yeah, they're good and stiff, much better than most of the U pins you find elsewhere.

The trick to using them is that they're just like miniature hairforks, in case anyone reading doesn't know. Don't insert them like they're bobby pins -- it doesn't work!

augustana
May 4th, 2016, 03:04 PM
I hate hair pins with a passion -_- they aways slip out

Groovy Granny
May 4th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Bend them out so they're more V-shaped when they're relaxed, perhaps. Then when you squeeze them parallel-ish, they'll spring back a little more and have a bit more resistance to sliding out.
Oh...that I did not do; I think I squeezed them as they were :doh:
THanks! :)

I have my Amish pins (plain & crinkled) in a drawer. I barely ever used them, but I keep them because I'm sure someday they're going to be useful. I'm pretty faithful to my LWB, but who knows. I might feel the need to change it up in the future, and then those pins will perhaps be really handy.

Yeah, I am keeping mine too....I'll try again now that I am longer then when I bought them, and will have more Summer Humidity volume buns
Forget using them when my hair is sleek :p

Yeah, they're good and stiff, much better than most of the U pins you find elsewhere.

The trick to using them is that they're just like miniature hairforks, in case anyone reading doesn't know. Don't insert them like they're bobby pins -- it doesn't work!

Yup...that I did know....but they still slipped.

Good for another try ~ thanks for the info :)

Anje
May 4th, 2016, 03:32 PM
No worries, GG. Mine were all parallel when I got them, too. I picked up making them V-shaped from someone's comment ages ago, and I think it makes at least some difference. But mine still slide out a little, which is why I decided to try the crinkled ones.

Groovy Granny
May 4th, 2016, 04:41 PM

No worries, GG. Mine were all parallel when I got them, too. I picked up making them V-shaped from someone's comment ages ago, and I think it makes at least some difference. But mine still slide out a little, which is why I decided to try the crinkled ones.

Ah...and you have the same hair type as me: I'll give them a good try and if it is another epic fail I'll try the crinkled ones.
All my other various pins are on the heavier side so I can see the need for these!
Thanks again :)

ETA: I tried tonight for quite a while and tossed them...definitely don't care for them; my hair spits them out ...period! :p
I will stick to the spin pins (mini and regular) and some heftier/long bobbies that I like; even the fine bobbies work for the wispy ends.
I also kept the clear plastic pins; they can be used in some styles.
I haven't really had a need for pinning TBH; mostly with cinnamon buns.
But I am enjoying using my mini jeweled claws for them recently, along with the OTHM forks...which eliminates the need for pins at all lol

reilly0167
May 4th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Thanks a bunch!

FantasyBoudicca
May 5th, 2016, 01:34 AM
I always called the U-shaped pins 'granny pins' because I was introduced to them through my grandmother and it's mostly older women here who still know how to use these.

I use 8 of them every day to secure my bun for school. Assuming I don't run too much and stuff, it routinely lasts twelve hours or more.