PDA

View Full Version : Perks of hair that are on the thinner side?

CreatureBailey
May 3rd, 2016, 09:16 PM
Some people tell me ''You have thin hair''. Pffff. For some others it's so thin it's pitiful. Mine are fine! (Yes, actually.) But I mean...they are not thin to a pitiful point. I think they are okay-thin. What's the good things / perks of having thin hair rather than a head full of hair? :)

Brileeka
May 3rd, 2016, 09:25 PM
It's less hot on warm days and less stress on the scalp when you put it up typically. Even though your hair maybe very long you can just put it up in a bun and no one would ever guess it was so long.

gthlvrmx
May 3rd, 2016, 09:30 PM
You can surprise people when you undo your tiny bun and show off the length hiding within it. It dries faster than thicker hair. It's less time to wash, detangle, comb, and S&D and less work too. You also save on products since it needs less of the product for your hair.

cailinbee
May 3rd, 2016, 09:36 PM
I don't know if it's true of every thin haired person, but mine is very malleable -- it takes pincurls, sets, curling irons, and any type of shape and manipulation very, very easily. Great for vintage styles and updos!

AZDesertRose
May 3rd, 2016, 10:12 PM
I have thick hair, but I'll tell you a downside of thick hair that translates to an upside of thinner hair. My thick hair has to be much longer to do certain updos than yours will need to be; thinner hair will do at BSL what mine won't do until waist, for example. Mine is a little past BSL right now, and it's so frustrating to see all these cool buns and styles that my hair just will not do (at least not all my hair; I can manage some of them as half-ups) because there's too darn much of it.

Anya15
May 3rd, 2016, 10:23 PM
I have thick hair, but I'll tell you a downside of thick hair that translates to an upside of thinner hair. My thick hair has to be much longer to do certain updos than yours will need to be; thinner hair will do at BSL what mine won't do until waist, for example. Mine is a little past BSL right now, and it's so frustrating to see all these cool buns and styles that my hair just will not do (at least not all my hair; I can manage some of them as half-ups) because there's too darn much of it.

THIS. I have thick hair too. Another downside of thick hair that is an upside of thin hair - thick hair+heat+humidity = scalp sweat which is GROSS.

Frankenstein
May 3rd, 2016, 10:53 PM
For me it's definitely less detangling time. Also, it doesn't feel as heavy at the longer lengths.

AZDesertRose
May 3rd, 2016, 10:56 PM
THIS. I have thick hair too. Another downside of thick hair that is an upside of thin hair - thick hair+heat+humidity = scalp sweat which is GROSS.

Oh yes, that too! I don't know that people with thin hair are totally immune to the sweaty scalp problem, but I expect it's probably less of a problem anyway.

Arctic
May 4th, 2016, 12:39 AM
No sweaty scalp for me with my thinner hair. Also it's not too hot to wear down in the summer (on most days). Both air drying and blowdrying times are much faster. It's light. It's relatively easy to get looking thicker, if I feel like it. Updos and braids are easier and I can make them sooner. I can make off-balance buns without scalp pain. I can make a very small, flat, compact buns if I want to (great for traveling, excercising...). Hair is easy to manage, detangle, brush, wash, dry, style, cut. My hair doesn't have cape-look. I need less products. When people comment on/compliment my hair it's not always about one feature (example: "wow your hair is thick!") but people see more different qualities in it.

Khristopher
May 4th, 2016, 01:20 AM
People with finer hair can easily wear wigs. Hidding thick classic length hair under a wig and wear it like that for more than 5 minutes is a pain. Also they can have longer hair and it won't be as heavy, so updos are more comfortable for them I guess.

Theobroma
May 4th, 2016, 02:43 AM
No sweaty scalp for me with my thinner hair. Also it's not too hot to wear down in the summer (on most days). Both air drying and blowdrying times are much faster. It's light. It's relatively easy to get look thicker, if I feel like it. Updos and braids and easier and I can make them sooner. I can make off-balance buns without scalp pain. I can make a very small, flat, compact buns if I want to (great for traveling, excercising...). Hair is easy to manage, detangle, brush, wash, dry, style, cut. My hair doesn't have cape-look. I need less products. When people comment on/compliment my hair it's not always about one feature (example: "wow your hair is thick!") but people see more different qualities in it.

This. My bun doesn't even stick out all that much but it still bumps against car headrests, especially in smaller cars, if I don't hunch forward slightly. I can't even imagine how uncomfortable that would be if I had thicker hair!

Also: braid or bun isn't heavy enough to cause sore neck muscles or headaches. Hair doesn't chew up and break hairtoys. And it doesn't take half a day to airdry after washing!

Unicorn
May 5th, 2016, 09:28 AM
The main points seem to have been covered...

As one whose locs form a 9" ponytail, I'd think the lack of weight must be great.

Also fairy tail ends. Many with thin(ner) hair seem question fairytail ends on their hair. I thought I'd let you know it tends to look ethereal and enchanting. It puts the "fairy" in fairytail ends.

Unicorn

maborosi
May 5th, 2016, 09:39 AM
You can do updos more easily (and sooner) than thicker hair.

It's not heavy compared to thicker hair- less stress on the scalp/pain.

Anje
May 5th, 2016, 11:44 AM
All the cool updos are much more accessible on thinner hair. Have you tried a celtic knot bun yet? Infinity bun?

Yeah, it apparently dries faster and isn't as hot, though I still feel like mine gets pretty warm.

Weird perk -- if you like wearing hats to keep the sun off you, having a smaller and less bulky bun at your nape means that it won't interfere with the hat. My hair has gotten a little thicker and long enough now that the nape bun is bulky enough to make the hat not sit quite right anymore. I gotta wear a braid now.

lithostoic
May 5th, 2016, 12:27 PM
No giant bulky buns. I'm a ii with 3.25" circ and still have a small bun at past APL.

Cg
May 5th, 2016, 12:34 PM
I have found that with my thin hair, I actually need more length than thickies to make the same bun. I believe texture probably has more to do with getting buns to work than simply length.

Others have already noted this, but the winning reason to be grateful is that it is a huge advantage not to have headache-causing hair!

Anje
May 5th, 2016, 12:50 PM
I have found that with my thin hair, I actually need more length than thickies to make the same bun. I believe texture probably has more to do with getting buns to work than simply length.

Others have already noted this, but the winning reason to be grateful is that it is a huge advantage not to have headache-causing hair!

Possibly a dumb question, but you're measuring your hair as circumference (distance around the ponytail) and not diameter (distance across the ponytail), right? Every so often, someone mixes those up. :flower:

Cg
May 5th, 2016, 03:25 PM
Possibly a dumb question, but you're measuring your hair as circumference (distance around the ponytail) and not diameter (distance across the ponytail), right? Every so often, someone mixes those up. :flower:

Circumference, yes. Paltry though it be.

lapushka
May 6th, 2016, 01:27 AM
My mom is now i or i/ii - just about on that border or less. And she doesn't much enjoy the thinness of it, why? Because at one point in her life it was thicker. But after pregnancy and especially menopause this changed for her to be i rather than ii. It's no laughing matter! I can assure you!!!

I am iii, my dad's ii as far as we can tell (he's always had it short, but it's densely cropped, although very F).

We all three of us have our challenges with our hair. My mom knows what it's like now to have thick hair ever since she started helping me with washing it (it needs to be sectioned into four quadrants to wash). She would hate that, she said. She can just wash hers in a few minutes and go. She doesn't even need to leave the towel on it after washing for more than a minute. Mine takes like 10-12 min. to do in total (+ conditioning), and I need to leave the towel on a good 30 min. so the water can be absorbed out of it.

Every hairtype has its pros and cons.

Zebra Fish
May 6th, 2016, 06:09 AM
Guess most it's already covered. I still envy people with thick hair, especually when wearing braids (SO and I made an acronim when we see someobe with thick braid so not all people need to know what we are looking at - BFB = big f**king braid - it is a good thing btw, btu we can point to each other bfb on your left!). But (!) I think I couldn't have long hair that thickness as my scalp is sensitive to weight. The days I need to wear ficcare coz it is spitting sticks and flexis, I get sore scalp by evening so I usualy need to leave it down at home.

AZDesertRose
May 6th, 2016, 10:15 AM
My mom is now i or i/ii - just about on that border or less. And she doesn't much enjoy the thinness of it, why? Because at one point in her life it was thicker. But after pregnancy and especially menopause this changed for her to be i rather than ii. It's no laughing matter! I can assure you!!!

I am iii, my dad's ii as far as we can tell (he's always had it short, but it's densely cropped, although very F).

We all three of us have our challenges with our hair. My mom knows what it's like now to have thick hair ever since she started helping me with washing it (it needs to be sectioned into four quadrants to wash). She would hate that, she said. She can just wash hers in a few minutes and go. She doesn't even need to leave the towel on it after washing for more than a minute. Mine takes like 10-12 min. to do in total (+ conditioning), and I need to leave the towel on a good 30 min. so the water can be absorbed out of it.

Every hairtype has its pros and cons.

My mom's hair was iii in her younger years (she's a Baby Boomer) but is now probably on the thick end of ii, and it is probably the appearance-related aspect of aging she hates the most.

mindwiped
May 6th, 2016, 12:38 PM

Have you considered a Paranda/Parandi? can thicken/legnthen. Here's the thread for info/pictures: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91490

Arctic
May 6th, 2016, 12:41 PM
The point that thinner hair isn't very likely to break things is a good one, I forgot to add that to my lists, because ... well it didn't even cross my mind because my hair has never broken aything.

meteor
May 6th, 2016, 01:33 PM
I think a big perk is ability to do a wide range of hairstyles that are either impossible (or possible only as half-ups) or really difficult to make look sleek, elegant and neat on very thick hair (French Twists, Gibson Tucks, the Masara and other tucks, Spiral Braids, all sorts of braided flowers and many other elaborate styles come to mind).

I think thinner hair can be very versatile and it's also easier and faster to style in terms of changing texture, too (i.e. curls, waves, straight).

ravenheather
May 6th, 2016, 01:59 PM
My favorite thing is how fast it dries. Every other day washes are no big deal.

Cg
May 6th, 2016, 02:01 PM
Have you considered a Paranda/Parandi? can thicken/legnthen. Here's the thread for info/pictures: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91490

Good idea, I haven't tried that due to sloth. I'll put that on my list of things to try. :)

lapushka
May 6th, 2016, 02:58 PM
My mom's hair was iii in her younger years (she's a Baby Boomer) but is now probably on the thick end of ii, and it is probably the appearance-related aspect of aging she hates the most.

My mom's a baby boomer too! :D I think it's just the thinness and the fact that she has to strategically comb it or she has hair cleavage in odd places.

Stepo_NiNha
May 6th, 2016, 03:04 PM
I'll get pregnant soon.

Im afraid I'll lose some of my hair thickness.

Do you guys have been through this? Did the thickness come back?

Im a ii with fine hair :)

lapushka
May 6th, 2016, 04:55 PM
I'll get pregnant soon.

The thing is, after pregnancy, most women lose hair, it's a couple of months, half a year tops, then it regrows... most of the time. Comes with being pregnant, I'm afraid.

meteor
May 6th, 2016, 05:28 PM
The thing is, after pregnancy, most women lose hair, it's a couple of months, half a year tops, then it regrows... most of the time. Comes with being pregnant, I'm afraid.

I definitely agree. :agree:

Stepo_NiNha, post-partum shedding is driven by the hormonal changes, so there can be some serious variations for different women, both in how much growth rate and thickness increase during pregnancy months and how much shedding happens after... Some don't get that much shedding. :) As hormones stabilize, the growth/shedding cycle will stabilize over time, too, and yes, hair lost to excessive shedding period can be regained over time, too. I would try not to worry about it in advance. :flower: I really hope everything will be fine! :cheer:

AZDesertRose
May 6th, 2016, 07:01 PM
I'll get pregnant soon.

It's been a long time since I went through this (my only child is in her early 20s), and I really don't remember noticing much of a postpartum shed. I had made the worst hair mistake of my life while I was pregnant with her by cutting BSL+ hair to a pixie in the belief that it would prevent the baby from pulling my hair (ha! babies are creative and their hands get everywhere), so maybe I had a shed and just didn't notice because my hair was so short. But it's also been a long time so I could be misremembering too.

lapushka
May 7th, 2016, 02:44 AM
I would try not to worry about it in advance. :flower: I really hope everything will be fine! :cheer:

Oh yes, definitely! :) Focus on your baby, and having a happy healthy little one instead! ;)

Knifegill
May 7th, 2016, 03:30 AM
I was able to do a bun when my hair wasn't even touching shoulder, so that's always nice.

Angelica
May 7th, 2016, 05:11 AM
In all honesty, I have had this hair type all my life, no changes during pregnancy or afterwards, there is no perk of having such thin, fine hair. Updos are a must for me because my hair is so pathetic loose and would look like rats tails in no time. Can't have nice thick braids, no enough hair for a paranda and a teeny bun. Have to be very gentle with it as my hair cannot tolerate any abuse whatsoever. Not thick enough for some hair accessories. I have learnt to manage it though because I have no choice. If I have to think of a plus side, I'd say naturally shiny hair on the silky side - but I would happily exchange that for thick flowing locks. My poor mother is losing her hair rapidly now possibly from stress, lack of calcium and hair damage from one trip in particular from a hairdressers; if it is genetic I might end up losing mine. So enjoy the thick hair if you are blessed with it.

Stepo_NiNha
May 7th, 2016, 06:56 AM
Thank you guys ;)

Arctic
May 7th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Come on guys, this was to be a positive thread. We have tons of threads where people lament their thin(er) hair.

H o n є y ❤
May 7th, 2016, 07:13 AM
Come on guys, this was to be a positive thread. We have tons of threads where people lament their thin(er) hair.
Yeah, this thread actually made me feel a lot better.

Beborani
May 7th, 2016, 12:55 PM
My daughter has hair on thinner side and it looks perfect--shine, bounce and texture suit her so well and she always looks 'done'--she keeps it down and 'short' most of the time but even longer upto hip used to look very pretty.

QMacrocarpa
May 7th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Much of my hair is thinner than it used to be, after a big shed in late 2012. There are things I miss, but I like that my now-thinner sleep braid doesn't make an uncomfortable lump if it ends up under my back during the night. I also like that my thinner ends are very easy to tuck into updos. I used to find that my bulky ends made some updos look a bit awkward (my log rolls were quite bottom-heavy, for instance, which wasn't a great silhouette on me).

Lindenare
May 20th, 2016, 05:59 PM
Smaller buns from thin hair mean hair sticks don't need to be so long, so there's more space for a decorative topper without it being visible from the front. Alternatively, more stick is visible, the better to display pretty ones.

Daydreamer.
May 27th, 2016, 06:55 AM
I personally do not see too many perks other than less hair to work with (which saves time).

hayheadsbird
May 27th, 2016, 08:07 AM
I definitely agree. :agree:

Stepo_NiNha, post-partum shedding is driven by the hormonal changes, so there can be some serious variations for different women, both in how much growth rate and thickness increase during pregnancy months and how much shedding happens after... Some don't get that much shedding. :) As hormones stabilize, the growth/shedding cycle will stabilize over time, too, and yes, hair lost to excessive shedding period can be regained over time, too. I would try not to worry about it in advance. :flower: I really hope everything will be fine! :cheer:
Each time I've been pregnant my hair has had a growth spurt, and only once out of the three have I had a noticible (to me) post pregnancy shed.

One advantage I notice to thinner hair is that ability to do more bun styles. Dd and I are both at APL, but I can get her hair in any number of buns that just fall straight out of mine! I'm so jelouse of her for that ;)

yahirwaO.o
May 28th, 2016, 08:27 PM
1)Well Im able to wash my hair every night without having a difficult time air drying.
2)When I dyed my hair it was just one right box and the coverage was great!
3)I can use 2 long u pins or bobby pins to keep a bun in place just like so.
4) High updo and hats can get long and fit so well, not a lot of long haired people can do this.

roseomalley
May 28th, 2016, 08:45 PM
It is easy and quick to air dry after a wash. My buns only need two spin pins. I love my fairytale ends. I only need a teeny-tiny bit of product.

Silverbrumby
May 29th, 2016, 12:22 AM
No pulling on scalp, lovely fairytale ends. Less product costs. Quick drying. I like the low maintenance.

H o n є y ❤
May 29th, 2016, 02:21 PM
No pulling on scalp, lovely fairytale ends. Less product costs. Quick drying. I like the low maintenance.
That is definitely a plus. Although I wish a couple things about my hair were different. The low(er) maintenance is what makes me LOVE my hair.

Sinthia
June 1st, 2016, 06:24 PM
I love how easy and fast it Is to apply henna and hair dyes. I also love how I can just let it air dry.

fairy_hair
June 2nd, 2016, 03:57 AM
It dries quicker, it compacts into a bun really well so you can surprise everyone with the length when it's down, and it's so floaty!