PDA

View Full Version : 5 foods to help your hair grow

Lavendersugar
May 3rd, 2016, 02:52 PM
I tend to take supplements because it's just easier but I know the power of getting nutrients through food and how much quicker it works for our bodies.
For the most part I eat these foods but not weekly. Guess it's worth giving a try. I do avoid nuts because of GI issues but I wonder if almond butter works the same. I may switch my peanut butter and find out.

What are your thoughts? Do you eat these foods or are willing to give it a try?

http://www.delish.com/kitchen-tools/g3373/foods-that-help-your-hair-grow/

Quasiquixotic
May 3rd, 2016, 03:01 PM
So I've drastically changed my diet 2.5 weeks ago. It includes a lot more of those 5 things. My hair grew a .5 inch in two weeks. Seriously not scientific or anything. But I can't help be feel like my improved diet has had a huge impact on my hair growth.

April 9th, measured 29.5"
http://a64.tinypic.com/33jtrpi.jpg

April 24th, measured 30"
http://a68.tinypic.com/vphmcp.jpg

meteor
May 3rd, 2016, 03:13 PM
^ Oh my! :bigeyes: Quasiquixotic, that's incredible growth! :D Your hair looks both longer and visibly thicker, too! :D
Did anything else (in your diet or otherwise) change? It's pretty amazing! :applause Congratulations, Quasi! :joy:

Lavendersugar
May 3rd, 2016, 03:18 PM
Quasiquixotic, you have convinced me!! I agree it looks longer and thicker!!! Beautiful!!!

Quasiquixotic
May 3rd, 2016, 03:49 PM
Seriously not scientific. I cut a lot of things out - most processed foods, gluten, dairy, soy, most types of sugar, alcohol (not that I drank a lot before), caffeine, grains, probably more. Pretty much just eat meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, and low processed animal/veggie fats - coconut oil, olive oil, nut oils, ghee, lard. And a little maple syrup or honey if the sugar cravings start to overwhelm me. I'm actually surprised that sugar is what I miss most.

I've also been really diligent about drinking 1/2 my body weight (in pounds) in ounces of water a day.

I also added beef gelatin to my hot drink as I was weening off caffeine or if I made a tumeric milk drink as a treat.

I can say I've had an avocado, almonds, and a red bell pepper almost every day for the last 2.5 weeks. And I've had sweet potatoes and eggs regularly as well. But I was eating the same eggs before.

I've been tracking my growth since I joined and I've never gotten more than an 1" in one month, but I have had a few months where my hair will grow an inch. I had several months in 2015 where I didn't get any growth. I think it was because that was year 2 of going 2 years without a trim. So I'm not sure how reliable my growth statistics are. And this could be normal growth for me. The first photo was post haircut and my hair is a little damp, hence the measurement as well. The second was when I caught it in the mirror was was shocked by the speed of my growth.

But in all seriousness, improving your diet has to help improve your hair, even if it doesn't speed up its growth.

ETA. I looked up the dates on the photos. I'll edit them in my first post.

meteor
May 3rd, 2016, 04:00 PM
^ Awesome, Quasi! :applause By the way, I love your diet! :thumbsup: Sounds like a type of paleo+ diet. ;) I do think that unprocessed and nutrient-dense foods are excellent for hair growth (among other good things, of course). :D

Quasiquixotic
May 3rd, 2016, 04:12 PM
Thanks meteor. I do plan to add back some of the things I cut out to see how I tolerate them - dairy, miso, legumes, and rice/starchy root veggies to be specific. But not for a few more weeks. And then one at a time rether slowly. So paleo-ish is about right. :wink:

Llama
May 3rd, 2016, 07:33 PM
I feel like I eat a balanced diet of really good-for-you food like this, and very terrible food. Lol
Eggs are my favorite, though. I eat way too many eggs :ponder:
Also- that's amazing growth, Quasiquixotic!

stahil
May 3rd, 2016, 07:41 PM
Awesome results! Your hair looks so much longer than .5" growth.

cailinbee
May 3rd, 2016, 09:21 PM
Wow, congrats, quasiquixotic! That must feel so awesome. The growth and the good diet!

I wonder if almond milk is as good as regular almonds. I drink and use almond milk pretty frequently. I think I need to increase avocado, sweet potato, and yellow bell pepper intake!

ChloeDharma
May 4th, 2016, 03:51 AM
The foods listed are ones that I always try to eat a lot of, particularly sweet potatos as, well I just love them and I hear a diet high in beta carotene reduces the risk of lung cancer so I'm stuffing down anything that contains it. My favourite way to cook them at the moment is chopped up, drizzled with avocado oil then sprinkled with turmeric, black pepper and curry powder then oven cooked with salmon. This is probably my favourite meal at the moment.

augustana
May 4th, 2016, 04:40 AM
I find that high protein helps my hair grow fast. And as a vegan i get plenty of veggies, so that can't hurt!

Lavendersugar
May 4th, 2016, 10:50 AM
I feel like I eat a balanced diet of really good-for-you food like this, and very terrible food. Lol
Eggs are my favorite, though. I eat way too many eggs :ponder:
Also- that's amazing growth, Quasiquixotic!

I'm an egg lover too. I often switch between whole eggs and whole egg sub. Mostly because I cook them differently. Love egg salad and boiled eggs too.

Wow, congrats, quasiquixotic! That must feel so awesome. The growth and the good diet!

I wonder if almond milk is as good as regular almonds. I drink and use almond milk pretty frequently. I think I need to increase avocado, sweet potato, and yellow bell pepper intake!

I was wondering the same about almond milk. The reason I mentioned almond butter is because you are eating the whole almond.
I do plan to add hemp milk into my diet as it is high in omega 3. Having a sensitive tummy I've had issues with milk and all milk subs. Hoping hemp will be ok.

I find that high protein helps my hair grow fast. And as a vegan i get plenty of veggies, so that can't hurt!

What protein do you prefer as a vegan?

Wusel
May 4th, 2016, 11:34 AM
I eat way too many eggs :ponder:
Quasiquixotic!

What is "too many" for you? I have 3-5 every day. Since 2014. :lol:

samanthaa
May 4th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Maybe I'll switch from red peppers (my favorite) to yellow peppers. Otherwise, I eat plenty of those other foods! (Well, I'm trying to eat more eggs.)

Sarahlabyrinth
May 4th, 2016, 02:41 PM

My sister was eating 5-6 eggs a day and her doctor told her that was too many to have every day. Maybe it's different for you, though.

I had two for breakfast this morning, but i will probably go at least a week before having another one.

Llama
May 4th, 2016, 03:01 PM

I try not to eat them every day- 5 a day EVERY day might be too much I guess haha. For me anyways.
I eat at least 2-3 eggs a couple days a week though. I sometimes eat 2 or 3 scrambled eggs for breakfast and then fry up an egg to put on a burger for dinner in the same day. Sometimes I will snack on boiled eggs.
If we go out to eat and there is a plate that includes egg in some way I almost always get it haha I just can't help myself.

Silverbrumby
May 4th, 2016, 03:55 PM
Now I'm craving eggs! Hehe. I eat most of these things plus a salad of spring greens and spinach everyday.

Lavendersugar
May 10th, 2016, 05:14 PM
What would be a possible replacement for avocado? Would hemp milk work?

Atarah
May 10th, 2016, 08:17 PM
Oh yay, a reason for me to eat more sweet potatoes! We (as a family) already eat a lot of eggs and avocados, but no one else is as fond of sweet potatoes so I haven't been fixing them as much. I'll have to make them part of my lunch routine.

Shepherdess
May 10th, 2016, 08:36 PM
Thank you for sharing that article, Lavendersugar!! I have never been much of a bell pepper person, though maybe I will have to try adding them to my diet. I love eggs and avocados, though I need to add more avocados to my diet too I think. :D I do eat lots of eggs, and I am currently trying to add more foods into my diet that are good nutrients and protein.

Quasiquixotic, that is amazing growth!!! :thud:

Lavendersugar
May 10th, 2016, 08:50 PM
Thank you for sharing that article, Lavendersugar!! I have never been much of a bell pepper person, though maybe I will have to try adding them to my diet. I love eggs and avocados, though I need to add more avocados to my diet too I think. :D I do eat lots of eggs, and I am currently trying to add more foods into my diet that are good nutrients and protein.

Quasiquixotic, that is amazing growth!!! :thud:

Yes, from the looks of it we me an egg support group. :)

Also, tomatoes are good for the hair too.

Of course all with a well balanced diet and hydration I'm guessing produce better results in the months to come.