PDA

View Full Version : S&D or Microtrimming

Persiangirl01
May 3rd, 2016, 02:40 AM
Hi everyone!

I have been S&Ding for a few months, but I have noticed in my pictures that my ends have really thinned out in that time. Has anyone else noticed this with S&D missions?

I was wondering if maybe microtrimming every few months may be a better option for me? I think I would still want to S&D, but I just get too obsessed and can spend an hour snipping away at my hair!

Who prefers S&D, who prefers microtriming or who does both and why is it your method of choice?

Thank you!

Nique1202
May 3rd, 2016, 03:59 AM
It's pretty normal for ends to thin out a bit if you S&D without trimming at all for a long time, because when you think about it, you are snipping out a few ends at a time and that all adds up eventually. If it really bothers you, you could either microtrim regularly or do a bigger trim of half an inch or so when it starts to really get on your nerves, depending on how long it took between your last trim and now.

Personally, I have deep layers and waves anyway that already thin out my ends, I'm aiming to get as much growth as possible, and I don't get a whole lot of splits (I usually find less than 10 a week), so I just S&D with no microtrims. But, everyone has to weigh their own preferences. I can deal with a little bit of scraggle in my hemline but I totally understand how some folks can't, and if I ever get a blunt hemline again I may feel the same way. :blossom:

lapushka
May 3rd, 2016, 04:02 AM
Depends on how much you're cutting off with S&D. If there's a lot of damage (about half your head), then S&D can only do so much. You'd be better off trimming regularly as well, because that is going to thin out your hair!

Persiangirl01
May 3rd, 2016, 05:15 AM
Thanks Nique and Lapushka! I have a ton of white dots and splits on about the last third of my hair. But my hair is healthy, it doesn't look ratty and it doesn't tangle a lot, so I definitely don't want to cut it all off.

I think microtrimming might be more helpful for me, to keeo a thick hemline. I think for now ai have to accept a thinner hemline and I will microtrim amd maintain once i reach waist, but perhaps a microtrimming just to even the lengths for now?

lapushka
May 3rd, 2016, 05:24 AM
Don't worry too too much about white dots. They will not immediately break off and you can grow a long time with them. I grew mine out from shoulder to hip, without touching them. So... there is no need to S&D them off that much. I'd go easy on them, and microtrim in the mean time.

Stepo_NiNha
May 3rd, 2016, 05:33 AM
Hi,

I prefer microtrims because S&D sessions thin my ends out.

If you want "fast" growth, you should trim less than you've grown since the last trim.

My example: 1/2 inch every 3 months. It does stop breakage (I still have some breakage but much less) and thickens up your hemline a bit. And the best thing: the growth is noticeable.

:)

Stepo_NiNha
May 3rd, 2016, 05:53 AM
Sorry,

In the last comment I said 2 things I shouldn't have said:

- microtrims: I trim 1/2 inch every 3 months and 1/2 inch is already a trim (not micro) but anyway, I prefer trimming to S&D sessions;
- "fast" growth: I meant to say visible growth :)

Persiangirl01
May 3rd, 2016, 09:14 AM
Thanks Stepo and Lapushka!

One last question, if you don't mind. I don't want to start a whole new thread :D.

Does Argan oil work as a split end repair treatment? Or would I be better off with an actual split end serum if I would like to prevent further splitting of hairs with white dots/splits and healthy hairs?

lapushka
May 3rd, 2016, 09:47 AM
Thanks Stepo and Lapushka!

One last question, if you don't mind. I don't want to start a whole new thread :D.

Does Argan oil work as a split end repair treatment? Or would I be better off with an actual split end serum if I would like to prevent further splitting of hairs with white dots/splits and healthy hairs?

I think an oil *or* serum is about the same. A serum might be a tad better to keep the ends "glued" together a bit. But it's not mending the situation any, if that's what you mean.

Persiangirl01
May 3rd, 2016, 10:32 AM
Thank you Lapushka :flower: Yes I know neither can mend the situation, but I was wondering if the serum's ability to "glue" the splits together means that it will prevent further damage of those splits better than an oil would? Or does it not really matter. I'm trying to stop myself from trying all the things! It is a newbie problem :D. But if a serum will save me from chopping off my ends until I pass waist and can cut back a few inches, then I will definitely make the purchase!

Stepo_NiNha
May 3rd, 2016, 10:35 AM
As Lapushka said, a serum works as a glue. I use a coney serum and it works pretty well.

My hair dislikes oils, it gets dry, sticky, crunchy (weird situation but yes, Its how my hair reacts to oils).

But I believe argan oil should work successfully to prevent and desguise the splits in some hair types. Don't forget one thing: you can use an oil or serum to desguise and prevent split ends (you'll be "babying" your ends) but they can never repair them. If you want to repair the splits, you should get rid of them, really trim them.

:)

Shiranshoku
October 10th, 2016, 01:44 AM
Reviving this thread with a question - is it 'normal' to not notice a decrease in the amount of splits you find when s&d'ing regularly?

I've been s&d'ing for years now, though at varying intervals. Now, I do notice a ton of them if I haven't done it in a long time. But when I do it more often, let's say weekly, the amount I find doesn't seem to decrease.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
October 10th, 2016, 04:29 AM
I have noticed a decrease in the number of splits. The first time I sat for an hour and persisted. I scheduled to do another the following month but hardly noticed splits. Then when I occasionally check my hair I finds less then 25. But I have also increased my DT's to weekly and now I am able to stretch my DT

Pacific
October 10th, 2016, 07:50 AM
I think there could be several reasons for no decreasing the amount of split ends. Maybe it's the scissors, your hair, your tools...

Now I don't have any split ends. When I started with s&d many years ago I did it with a candle. And after a trim or microtrim I hold the end of my pony over a candle.
This and beeing very gentle with my hair deleted split ends completely, and I'm looking every months if there are some. But that's only my hair and maybe it's not working for others.

hayheadsbird
October 10th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Was the candle to help you see any splits?

Kat-Rinnč Naido
October 10th, 2016, 08:14 AM
I think there could be several reasons for no decreasing the amount of split ends. Maybe it's the scissors, your hair, your tools...

Now I don't have any split ends. When I started with s&d many years ago I did it with a candle. And after a trim or microtrim I hold the end of my pony over a candle.
This and beeing very gentle with my hair deleted split ends completely, and I'm looking every months if there are some. But that's only my hair and maybe it's not working for others.

Thank you for sharing Pacific but what did you do with the candle

Horrorpops
October 10th, 2016, 08:18 AM
I think both have seperate benefits really. I like the ability to target damage and actually like the natural shape and layers S&Ding give my hemlines however I agree it can also thin out the hair a little. I also like micro trimming because in some ways it's faster and it helps thicken up my hair if it's looking too thin and scraggly at the ends.

It sounds like maybe from what you've described it could be time to try a microtrim if you're not enjoying the thinner ends? Anyways, good luck!! :o

ETA whoops! To answer your question shiranshoku I did aggressive S&Ding for the last few years plus annual trims to remove bleach damage etc and sometimes the numbers seemed to decrease but other times there seemed to be more or take longer... it was super unpredictable! So I'd say what you're experiencing is normal? (Or at least similar to what I've found)

Pacific
October 10th, 2016, 11:10 AM
I sat in good day light and could see my split ends without candle. With it I melt them away.
After this I always oiled heavy with coconut oil.
Yes, directly afterwards you can feel a small "bulb" at the melted end. But for me it was never a problem as I only comb with a very wide tooth comb and the "bulbs" disapear over time.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
October 10th, 2016, 12:13 PM
Thank you Horrorpops for your explanation of S&D. Your hair is gorgeous.

Thank you Pacific for replying to my question. I think I might try that when my hair gets longer if I should need to S&D

Shiranshoku
October 10th, 2016, 02:30 PM
So you sealed your ends with candlewax? How peculiar! Never heard of that!

I do get fewer, but there's like a minimum amount I always find. I think it might be because I always condition and usually have oil in, which masks the splits.

x3leesa
October 10th, 2016, 07:17 PM
Hi everyone! New here! I'm sorry if this question has been asked/answered before, but speaking of S&D and trimming... is there a best time to do a microtrim/trim or S&D? Like should hair be wet fresh out of the shower, damp, or dry? Thanks!

Garnetgem
October 10th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Hi everyone! New here! I'm sorry if this question has been asked/answered before, but speaking of S&D and trimming... is there a best time to do a microtrim/trim or S&D? Like should hair be wet fresh out of the shower, damp, or dry? Thanks!

I always S&D and microtrim when hair is dry you wouldn't be able to see the ends for S&D on wet hair...and microtrim turns out more even and tidy when dry too...

Welcome by the way :)

x3leesa
October 10th, 2016, 08:58 PM
I always S&D and microtrim when hair is dry you wouldn't be able to see the ends for S&D on wet hair...and microtrim turns out more even and tidy when dry too...

Welcome by the way :)

Thanks so much for the answer and thanks for the welcome! :D Looking to get some pix up of my hair after I do a microtrim or a S&D and get more active on the LHC ;)

Pacific
October 10th, 2016, 09:11 PM
So you sealed your ends with candlewax? How peculiar! Never heard of that!

It's not the candle wax, it's the heat. :) After a trim I only hold my end of the pony a very short time above the candle.

hayheadsbird
October 11th, 2016, 12:50 AM
It's not the candle wax, it's the heat. :) After a trim I only hold my end of the pony a very short time above the candle.

I've been googling, it's called Velaterapia in Brazil. Apparently is a really old method of removing split ends and can leave hair feeling very smooth!

Shiranshoku
October 11th, 2016, 12:54 AM

Oh, that makes a lot more sense :D

yamsha23
October 12th, 2016, 09:50 AM
I've decided to completely stop S&D about a week ago...
I got really obsessed with it especially after I purchased beautiful hairdresser scissors, it became like a hobby snapping little screaming hairs for one hour every afternoon or two :meditate:

yamsha23
October 12th, 2016, 09:58 AM
Don't worry too too much about white dots. They will not immediately break off and you can grow a long time with them. I grew mine out from shoulder to hip, without touching them. So... there is no need to S&D them off that much. I'd go easy on them, and microtrim in the mean time.

I always wondered how much time it took for the split ends to split more, days, months, years? So, little bit relieved to read that...

I'll be micro-trimming every 6 months or so and keep braiding my hair and putting shea butter on the ends :heart:

I also wonder why do the hair behind the neck break so much more? yet it seems the more protected of the hairs.

missrandie
October 12th, 2016, 10:02 AM
I always wondered how much time it took for the split ends to split more, days, months, years? So, little bit relieved to read that...

I'll be micro-trimming every 6 months or so and keep braiding my hair and putting shea butter on the ends :heart:

I also wonder why do the hair behind the neck break so much more? yet it seems the more protected of the hairs.

I think it's because those tend to be finer to start with, and they rub on pillows, clothes, scarves, etc.

I've been experiencing more tangling in my nape hairs recently, and I know it's because they remove themselves from my sleep cap and rub on my pillow at night.

yamsha23
October 12th, 2016, 12:18 PM
I think it's because those tend to be finer to start with, and they rub on pillows, clothes, scarves, etc.

I've been experiencing more tangling in my nape hairs recently, and I know it's because they remove themselves from my sleep cap and rub on my pillow at night.

I don't think they rub more, I always sleep with braids or low buns, they are more protected than my bangs for example... :monkey:
And I agree that they are a different type than the rest of the hair, but maybe not thinner! I find them a lot thicker.
And I now wonder why the hair on my arms don't have split ends since they are the thinnest of all :bigeyes:

strawberryfine
September 17th, 2022, 04:18 PM
Oh, wow... my arm hairs never get splits either!

paulownia
September 20th, 2022, 07:13 AM
I trim my hair once in a while.
I don't have split ends - not a single one
I didn't see them on my head in more than 12 years.
Personally I'm firmly against S&D because it can damage hair if overdone and easily turns into obsession about splits.
But that's just me:D

SandyBottom
September 26th, 2022, 06:09 PM
I did an S&D session recently and was very pleased to see that I had much fewer splits than last spring when I think was the last time. Typically, my hair sustains the most damage in summer. This was the first summer since joining LHC and I really made an effort to protect it while still engaging in usual summer fun. So happy!

rosenester
September 26th, 2022, 07:33 PM
I trim my hair once in a while.
I don't have split ends - not a single one
I didn't see them on my head in more than 12 years.
Personally I'm firmly against S&D because it can damage hair if overdone and easily turns into obsession about splits.
But that's just me:D
:lol: i also trim regularly, but I do S&D as well, I find it helpful for my fine hair which I was rough with years ago through brushing and bleaching and wearing down haphazardly. Those are my ends and boy do they need some extra attention. Currently working on maintaining length to cut them off! Not obsessed, but could see how this all could end there… I personally would be willing to cut back to pixie over damage if needed, but I do get it!

Sea_Otter spins
September 27th, 2022, 11:10 AM
I don't often find split ends, but I do have damaged ends (I think). Those strands will be a bit thin and wavy at the bottom. I snip those off.

lapushka
September 27th, 2022, 11:25 AM
I don't often find split ends, but I do have damaged ends (I think). Those strands will be a bit thin and wavy at the bottom. I snip those off.

No need to do that; only take hairs off that have either a white dot up the strand (couple inches, so not the very ends =>that's normal) or have a true split. The rest is just thinning out your hairline and overkill!