PDA

View Full Version : Undercuts

Key
May 2nd, 2016, 11:17 PM
Every May I feel a strong urge to get an undercut, and this year I'm thinking about actually going through with it. I did a simple test yesterday to see if it would set me back a few inches, and to my surprise it really wouldn't.

My only concern is my eventually wanting that amount of volume I'd be losing. I see people with long hair that tapers ridiculously and I get a bit worried about the state of my own. That being said, my ponytail circumference IS over four inches and that's not including a wide set of bangs I already have. And summer is coming. I've resisted in past years, but I'm really leaning toward going for it.

Daydreamer.
May 3rd, 2016, 03:15 AM
I was considering a small undercut at one time, but my hair is thin enough as it is. I'd probably try one if I had super-thick hair, though.

Platzhalter
May 3rd, 2016, 04:02 AM
With your thickness now, I wouldn't worry too much about less volume. If you really like to try an undercut, go for it... even though it may be more of a change at once regarding ponytail circumference than it would be losing the thickness due to extreme shedding (which takes some time), it's probably still easier to deal with because you know why it happens and how you could get that volume back for sure later.

Wusel
May 3rd, 2016, 04:10 AM
It's not for me and I don't understand what it's all about this undercut craze everywhere.
Pixie is great.
A buzzed head is absolutely okay too.
But an undercut on long caucasian hair just turns me off. Because it's so illogical to have a chunk of hair just shaved off under the long ones. :disgust:
And its a pain to grow it out when it's done.
You have adorably nice, extra thick hair so why do you want to ruin it?
Sorry, just my honest opinion.

Edit: I bet that after some weeks, maybe months of enjoying this strange modern fashion hair statement you'll want to get rid of it and pray for the hair to grow as fast as it can.

lapushka
May 3rd, 2016, 04:17 AM
In the beginning it's all swell and great, until the tiny stubble starts growing. You either need to be sure that you are going to maintain it, otherwise summer is not what you think it will be. It is easier to bun the hair and get it out of the way (sweating) than it is to have that stubble on your head. Just my 2cts.

Wavykate
May 3rd, 2016, 06:19 AM
Hi! I'm new here this is my first post, I've been a long time lurker.

It depends what type of undercut you want to go for, side ones are easier to hide when you decide to grow it out I suppose, I personally had a nape undercut shaved in a few years ago (rest of hair was shoulder length). It was great in the summer and it did get rid of the bulk when my hair was straight, however growing out was awful, I couldn't wear my hair up for a year. Then I had decided that I wanted to grow my hair out long, but knowing in th back of my mind I would have to get it evened out eventually was really disheartening.

I have managed to now grow the whole thing out even, but now at apl rather than waist where I probably would have been! Plus my hair is wavy/curly, and had half volume for all that time!

Just some things to consider before taking the plunge!

Kiiruna
May 3rd, 2016, 07:50 AM
I don't see undercuts (or more special cuts anyways) as "ruining your hair". You probably won't lose much volume because of your thickness, but I sure can imagine that it'll be pain in the butt to grow out :D On the other hand why not do it? We only live once and hair grows back anyways.

NitaB
May 3rd, 2016, 08:11 AM
I have a nape undercut and I love it. It does take volume out of my hair, but not too much. I love putting my hair up and showing it off, and I love the freshly shaved feeling. My hair is pretty wonky as I am both growing out and maintaining two different levels of undercut. It's really up to you if you want one, it can be frustrating if you decide you don't like it, but for thick hair in the summer, it's a relief.

Olavi
May 3rd, 2016, 08:37 AM
I have been considering undercut too and I'm pretty sure I will do it soon. I haven't decided if I want undercut on temple or nape, tho. My hair is very thick and voluminous so small undercut wouldn't change much and I have friend who most likely would help me maintain it :D

Yes, I might regret it later. I regretted long bob, straight hemline and straight bangs too, but for me life is way too short for not experimenting with hair if I really want to just because I might regret it.

Ophidian
May 3rd, 2016, 08:55 AM
I had an undercut for years and loved it. Yes, some people don't like them, but plenty of people also think long hair is gross or that women shouldn't have short hair, etc etc. You do you!

spidermom
May 3rd, 2016, 08:56 AM
If this style calls to you, why not try it? We often regret the things we didn't do more than the things we did.

Wusel
May 3rd, 2016, 09:28 AM
If this style calls to you, why not try it? We often regret the things we didn't do more than the things we did.

As for me there are definitely more stupid things I regret having done than not having done.
She has wonderful, beautiful hair.
Such a waste to shave even the tiniest chunk of it off. FOR WHAT?
I don't see any reasons for doing this than this one: wanting to do something stupid on purpose just to make the experience how it feels doing something new and stupid. Nobody needs this.
Just in case someone with an undercut feels offended. If you already have it and are really happy with it, it's okay. I'm just talking about a young woman who doesn't have it and is not sure if doing it or not. And I'm for: DON'T.

Llama
May 3rd, 2016, 09:36 AM
Why not just wear your hair up off your neck if you get too hot? I don't understand the need for an undercut when you can just put it up.
I personally don't like the look of undercuts and think it would be terrible to grow out, unless you want to lose a lot of length eventually.

lapushka
May 3rd, 2016, 09:38 AM
Why not just wear your hair up off your neck if you get too hot? I don't understand the need for an undercut when you can just put it up.
I personally don't like the look of undercuts and think it would be terrible to grow out, unless you want to lose a lot of length eventually.

Yes, I think it looks mangled when you put the hair up with an undercut, as if some accident happened. I just don't like them. But the OP should do what she wants! :flower:

Wusel
May 3rd, 2016, 09:41 AM
But the OP should do what she wants! :flower:

Yes. But if she KNEW she wouldn't ask here. :)

Wusel
May 3rd, 2016, 09:47 AM

Same here.
Make pretty updos with your pretty hair and you'll be happier in the long run.
Btw. I don't know even ONE man who would really recommend his girlfriend to do this. Most men are like "Nooo... SO ugly. Ugliest new fashion trend ever!" They accept it if she already has it and loves but in reality almost no man would prefer a girl with an undercut to a girl without one. There are exceptions. But not many. Mr.K seconds this.

Horrorpops
May 3rd, 2016, 10:03 AM
I personally had a nape undercut shaved in a few years ago (rest of hair was shoulder length). It was great in the summer and it did get rid of the bulk when my hair was straight, however growing out was awful

Yes this! So much this! Key I think those kind of hairstyles are so cool and fun to try but you have to resolve yourself to a frustrating grow out period. But I say if you don't mind.the setback of growing it out, why not do it?! :) However if the growing out would drive you mental and you'd regret it then obviously it's not worth it... Only you can say how you'd react really.

Also welcome to the forum Wavykate! Thanks for sharing :o

Ophidian
May 3rd, 2016, 10:07 AM
Same here.
Make pretty updos with your pretty hair and you'll be happier in the long run.
Btw. I don't know even ONE man who would really recommend his girlfriend to do this. Most men are like "Nooo... SO ugly. Ugliest new fashion trend ever!" They accept it if she already has it and loves but in reality almost no man would prefer a girl with an undercut to a girl without one. There are exceptions. But not many. Mr.K seconds this.

Just food for thought, but not everyone wants a pretty updo on pretty hair aesthetic, and if one does I still think there are a lot of ways to be pretty. I would also venture to guess that there is a great diversity of opinion on what is attractive, and making a man prefer you is not necessarily a universal concern/preoccupation. To each their own, I just don't think that this is the standard by which all decisions are made for everyone, and I find "all" men/women statements to generally be problematic.

Wusel
May 3rd, 2016, 10:12 AM
Just food for thought, but not everyone wants a pretty updo on pretty hair aesthetic, and if one does I still think there are a lot of ways to be pretty. I would also venture to guess that there is a great diversity of opinion on what is attractive, and making a man prefer you is not necessarily a universal concern/preoccupation. To each their own, I just don't think that this is the standard by which all decisions are made for everyone, and I find "all" men/women statements to generally be problematic.

I wrote "most" and "almost". And that there are exceptions. For me it's EXTRAORDINARILY UGLY. Just my opinion. I'm always honest.

And I'm very surprised that there are quite a bunch of people in a LONG hair community who are PRO shaving. (???!!!)

Katlette
May 3rd, 2016, 10:15 AM
If your main concern is loss of volume (which sounds like it is), I say go for it. It seems like you have thick enough hair to pull this off! The change in volume might feel odd at first, but it'll grow back, and your hair is unlikely to look very thin at any point anyway.

Growing it out will probably be annoying though (but probably no more than growing out bangs).

Wusel
May 3rd, 2016, 10:18 AM
but probably no more than growing out bangs.

NO. Growing out bangs is SO MUCH EASIER. You can pin them back with pretty clips to make them look cute, you can curl them back... Absolutely MUCH EASIER than growing out a shaved off chunk of hair under long hair.

AJNinami
May 3rd, 2016, 10:28 AM
I think that if you want to, you should go for it! Growing out can be difficult, but it can be fun as well! Wearing braids down for a while would help to cover the grow out where it isn't long enough to twist and pin under your hair. If you have a good stylist (or friend) who can make a pretty pattern in it, all the better! It's also an easy way to experiment with colors (if you're so inclined). You should always do what's best for YOU, not what other's think is best. You never have to impress anyone, except for when you risk losing a job based on a stylistic choice. Good luck, and if you decide to do it I hope you post pictures! :flower:

Katlette
May 3rd, 2016, 10:29 AM
I wrote "most" and "almost". And that there are exceptions. For me it's EXTRAORDINARILY UGLY. Just my opinion. I'm always honest.

And I'm very surprised that there are quite a bunch of people in a LONG hair community who are PRO shaving. (???!!!)

I'm not pro long hair. I'm pro people doing whatever they want with their hair. :shrug: It's good that you're honest, but not everyone finds them extraordinarily ugly.

NO. Growing out bangs is SO MUCH EASIER. You can pin them back with pretty clips to make them look cute, you can curl them back... Absolutely MUCH EASIER than growing out a shaved off chunk of hair under long hair.

What I meant though was that I expect once you figure out what works for you (e.g. a specific bun for the undercut, your cute clips for bangs), it's just hair growing on its own and not something that'll continually annoy you.

ETA:
Or, as AJNinami helpfully suggested, it could even be fun!

I also second the request for pictures, Key, if you go through with it!

zombienomph
May 3rd, 2016, 10:32 AM
Anyway.. Key, if this is something that you want to do, I would say give it a shot. You're not cutting off all your length, your thickness lost will be marginal (especially if you're over 4 in thick without your bangs), and there are plenty of cute shapes to choose from (and patterns and even colors!). If you hate it, grow it out. At least then you'll know it's not for you instead of pining for one for years. And please, don't let any one else's opinions or insecurities about their own hair get you down, it's all about what YOU want and what YOU like!

Ophidian
May 3rd, 2016, 10:33 AM
... I'm very surprised that there are quite a bunch of people in a LONG hair community who are PRO shaving. (???!!!)

Well, I'm new here and I can only speaking for myself, but I came here because I decided that I wanted to grow my hair out and was looking for a little comraderie along the way. I love long hair, but I also love short hair and creativity of all stripes with colors and cuts. I don't think of myself as PRO anything hair related, I think hair is very personal and that each person should do what makes them feel happy and confident in their own skin. I understand that you hate undercuts, everyone has things that they would never do themselves or doesn't like the look of on others. We're all human :). I guess I just don't think that loving long hair means that we can't be supportive of someone else's desire to try something new, even if we wouldn't personally do it.

Chromis
May 3rd, 2016, 10:33 AM
Please take this moment to review KNIT:

"I came for the hair care advice, but I stayed for the friends."

It has been said more than once that TLHC is one of the nicest sites on the 'net. That's because we have exceptional members who genuinely care about each other and terrific moderators who strive to make sure everyone has the best experience possible. The feeling created is very much like an extended family.

On occasion, however, a quarrel will occur, or a bit of snark will creep into people's messages, and this note is a gentle reminder that the best antidote for that is for everyone to monitor their own posts. Using the Report Button is a great help to the moderators by alerting us to problems, but prevention is a way that everyone can help maintain that warm community spirit. So, as we like to say, KNIT before you post.

Before you hit the "Submit" button, review what you're about to say.

Is it Kind?

Is it Necessary?

Is it Informative?

Is it True?

Read your words as if someone else were saying them to you. How would you receive them? Would you be offended, hurt or angry? If your post doesn't pass those tests, try again. If you simply can't compose something, let the thread go, and maybe try again later.

Every once in a while, there will be something that you cannot agree with. No one expects there to be a complete meeting of minds on every single topic discussed here. In those cases, we ask for tolerance - not acceptance, but tolerance. The other person is always worthy of respect. If you post, do not attack. Agree to disagree, and let your words be civil and even as kind as possible.

Thank you, everyone, for making this such a wonderful community. :smile:

lapushka
May 3rd, 2016, 10:50 AM
I think even as a iii, you'd be surprised at how much thickness an undercut absorbs. You have to like the hair you're left with, and that might be quite the thing to get used to! It will hang differently, fall differently... All things to consider, IMO.

Wusel
May 3rd, 2016, 11:01 AM
It was exactly the same words I got from people when I was thinking about giving me the Emma Watson VERY short pixie in 2014. I'm sorry for my words maybe not being very kind but I'm happy now that there were so many people who weren't so overwhelmingly kind and prevented me from chopping off al my hair. Sometimes some a bit harder, directly presented, words are more helpful than only nebulous kindness.
But I'm sorry. I promise to be very kind from now on.

Anje
May 3rd, 2016, 11:08 AM
I wouldn't want one personally, but I have not-thick hair that already tapers and I have a passionate hatred of growing anything out til I can put it up. So no undercuts for me personally. But that's not the question. Edit: And it's worth mentioning that I'm one of the people who does not desire to look "cute." I have no particular desire to make myself sexually attractive to people I have no intent to mate with.

If you're not sure, I suggest you section off the part that you think you'd shave, ponytail the rest, then braid that to-be-shaved portion tightly. Maybe pull it over your shoulder. See how the rest looks. If you don't like it, adjust the sectioning or decide that maybe it's not the look you're going for. If it seems fine, think about it for a while (the standard recommendation around here is 2 weeks with no second thoughts before you do any drastic cuts, and I think an undercut would count). Then repeat your sectioning to make sure you've got it right, gather the top out of the way, and make sure whoever's doing it follows your sectioning.

Good luck!

butter52
May 3rd, 2016, 11:10 AM
As for me there are definitely more stupid things I regret having done than not having done.
She has wonderful, beautiful hair.
Such a waste to shave even the tiniest chunk of it off. FOR WHAT?
I don't see any reasons for doing this than this one: wanting to do something stupid on purpose just to make the experience how it feels doing something new and stupid. Nobody needs this.
Just in case someone with an undercut feels offended. If you already have it and are really happy with it, it's okay. I'm just talking about a young woman who doesn't have it and is not sure if doing it or not. And I'm for: DON'T.

Because she is not here to decorate your world. Why impose your personal taste on her? This is not practical advice.

humble_knight
May 3rd, 2016, 11:46 AM
I think every manner of changing one's long hair - fringes, dye, undercut, part-shaving etc - are interesting and fascinating for the people who think about a wee bit of experimentation. I only feel sad if they cannot get back to where they were before trying that change i.e. their hair does not re-grow, or if they start balding permanently.

Wusel
May 3rd, 2016, 11:53 AM
Because she is not here to decorate your world. Why impose your personal taste on her? This is not practical advice.

As I already said: I'm sorry for being too straightforward and apparently not kind with my words. I live miles away from her so it's not about me liking or disliking her appearance. I only wanted to help thinking about it. I'm SORRY FOR CHOOSING WRONG WORDS. But it was the same words I choose when I give good friends advice or which my friends choose when they give me honest, straightforward advice which I personally appreciate.

meteor
May 3rd, 2016, 11:54 AM
I love the look of undercuts - they can look effortlessly fierce, eye-catching and unique (since there are so many artistic ways of cutting them - lots of really amazing designs out there :crush:) and they can show off beautiful head shape without having to cut off all the length.

But there is maintenance... and the growing out process can be very, very long (depending on how long you want your hair to be), and as the layers are growing, there may be problems with incorporating new growth into buns and braids, kind of like with bangs and short layers. So I'd definitely try all sorts of Faux undercuts first, just to make sure (with French/Dutch braids etc, e.g. pictorial (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1d/db/f1/1ddbf1b8fa27b0c0cf07e18b536b1f69.jpg)...). There are so many designs and ways to do this... just sectioning hair differently or doing more detailed braiding can change things up massively. There are a ton of amazing YouTube tutorials for faux undercuts and they do feel less hot in summer.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do! :cheer:

Ophidian
May 3rd, 2016, 12:01 PM
I love the look of undercuts - they can look effortlessly fierce, eye-catching and unique (since there are so many artistic ways of cutting them - lots of really amazing designs out there :crush:) and they can show off beautiful head shape without having to cut off all the length.

But there is maintenance... and the growing out process can be very, very long (depending on how long you want your hair to be), and as the layers are growing, there may be problems with incorporating new growth into buns and braids, kind of like with bangs and short layers. So I'd definitely try all sorts of Faux undercuts first, just to make sure (with French/Dutch braids etc, e.g. pictorial (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1d/db/f1/1ddbf1b8fa27b0c0cf07e18b536b1f69.jpg)...). There are so many designs and ways to do this... just sectioning hair differently or doing more detailed braiding can change things up massively. There are a ton of amazing YouTube tutorials for faux undercuts and they do feel less hot in summer.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do! :cheer:

This :agree:

Eastbound&Down
May 3rd, 2016, 01:19 PM
I think if you can and want to go for it, do it! You can get so many cool designs done and the look so, so cute! I think they are so awesome, I am prohibited from doing it because of my job, or I would absolutely consider it.

Arctic
May 3rd, 2016, 01:32 PM
If you are still young, go for it. The older you get, the more reasons or excuses one starts to have about stuff like that.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 3rd, 2016, 01:49 PM
I had to Google to find out what an undercut is :p and I saw some really great ones. It's not something I would want to do on my own hair because I love all my thickness, but if you want to experiment and try something new, then why not? ;) It's your hair and you don't have to please anyone but yourself.

Do be aware though that it will mean very frequent, possibly expensive maintenance and it could be really annoying and irksome when you decide to grow it out.
If you do decide to go for it we would all love to see pictures! It's good that you are getting a variety of opinions here :)

Groovy Granny
May 3rd, 2016, 02:00 PM
I had to Google to find out what an undercut is :p and I saw some really great ones. It's not something I would want to do on my own hair because I love all my thickness, but if you want to experiment and try something new, then why not? ;) It's your hair and you don't have to please anyone but yourself.

Do be aware though that it will mean very frequent, possibly expensive maintenance and it could be really annoying and irksome when you decide to grow it out.
If you do decide to go for it we would all love to see pictures! It's good that you are getting a variety of opinions here :)
LOL I had to google it too :laugh:

And I agree with your post 100% :agree: :thumbsup:

KEY ~ Please post pics/updates if you go through with it :popcorn:

Swan Maiden
May 3rd, 2016, 03:48 PM
I loved my nape undercut when it was short, but the grow out process is excrutiating. It also seemed to accumulate a lot of damage. I was 3+ inches pre-undercut and my braids still look thin (my undercut has now grown out to about bsl-waist)

Eta: 3 inches circumference

sumidha
May 3rd, 2016, 03:58 PM
I had one way back in high school and liked it. Consider whether or not you can maintain it yourself, or will you need to go to a salon periodically? Also, I find much like mohawks they have a tendency to creep higher and higher into your hairline over time, as you buzz it to maintain it. But that might also be because I was a careless teenager doing it on myself with mirrors. :laugh:

And yes, growing it out will be really awkward.

Key
May 3rd, 2016, 06:34 PM
Wow, so much has happened to this thread since I first posted I'm kind of surprised I even got a response. I'm partial to the nape variation by the way.

People bring up a really good point about growing it back out which I should probably clear up that I have no intentions to. Rather, once I'm done with the long parts of my hair (probably once I hit hip, tbl, or classic) I will go for a big chop and my long hair journey will be over unless I choose to grow again in the distant future. Actually a pixie undercut would be really cool to have afterward. I'm more or less growing out my hair as a genetic experiment.

To the comment about the style not being for long-haired white women, the bet that I'll be praying for it to grow back, and the implication that men will not want a girl such as myself to get a (stupid and ugly) undercut... boy it's a good thing I'm an FtM that got top surgery this winter. :pray: Hopefully a boyfriend or girlfriend of mine won't mind their boyfriend having it lol! If not, that's okay. I'm trans so I'm not really looking for anyone's permission to change my looks.

My main hang-up about undercuts is the sacrifice of volume, but of the people that have spoken on this... I'm more or less convinced I have enough to spare. As for maintaining it, my younger sister went to beauty school, still has a buzz-cutter and the shave is pretty straight-forward. I would go to a salon for the initial cut though of course. Thanks for helping me figure this one out, everyone.

dfotw
May 3rd, 2016, 06:52 PM
Got here late (and luckily, as K.N.I.T. got stretched to its limits :rolleyes:), but I say, go for it, Key! It sounds like you have the upkeep and (lack of) growing out figured out, and undercuts look so fierce and cool on whatever gender! :crush: You have the thick hair to pull it off, so I bet you'll look awesome. Share pics when you do it, pretty please? :flower:

(also, a reminder to this community that not everyone on the forum is a woman and/or interested in 'traditional' longhair aesthetics, so don't rush to tailor your advice in that direction always!)

Ophidian
May 3rd, 2016, 06:53 PM
My brother has hip-length hair that is probably similar to yours in texture/volume, and an undercut (nape variation but the shaved part goes a bit up the sides too with his hairline). Anyway, it looks awesome on him. There was some volume loss, but I can really only tell when he wears it tightly braided and he has enough hair that it doesn't look thin, just thinner

It's probably a good thing that you have your sister lined up to maintain it for you, I definitely struggled to maintain mine without the shaved bit slowly creeping up because I would always get one side kinda wonky and then have to even it out. My go-to hair cut (diy) for about two years was an undercut (back and sides) with the unshaved part as a chin-length bob that I could either wear as a bob or sweep to the side for a kind of floppy hawk/asymmetrical awesomeness thing. Honestly the hardest part about growing out for me is that I miss that haircut!

Anyway, good luck and rock on

spidermom
May 3rd, 2016, 06:56 PM
It sounds like you are emotionally prepared for a major cut if the undercut doesn't work out, and that's good. I agonized about layers with a V hem for years before I finally did it, and it worked out for about 2 years. Then I was stuck in Ohio for months following the death of my father (long sad story) and had a massive hair shed. After that, my longest layers looked too thin and scraggly after the first day of washing, and I ended up losing 5 inches. No great big fat hairy deal because I know hair grows and I know plenty of styles. Still, cutting off 5 inches wasn't really in my plan.

cailinbee
May 3rd, 2016, 07:19 PM
My close friend who has 1c, extremely coarse, thick hair (who has always joked about "donating" some of hers to me) recently started undercutting her nape. I say started, because she ended up LOVING it completely and has maintained it herself, shaving it with a .25 buzzer every 2 weeks! Her hair is naturally so thick and heavy that she describes having the nape section gone as a relief. Plus, it's the nape, so she has the option of hiding it or showing it with an updo. She can continue to hide it if she chooses to grow it out. For now, she's totally in love with it! So you never know, you might find a new hairstyle romance, haha!

spidermom
May 3rd, 2016, 07:38 PM
There is a woman in my class at college who is growing out an undercut. She generally wears a messy ponytail bun with the undercut exposed. It is about halfway down her neck. It looks kind of strange.

turtlelover
May 3rd, 2016, 07:46 PM
I think undercuts are the ugliest thing EVER, but that's just me. To each their own! You have to love your own hair....that is what matters.

teddygirl
May 3rd, 2016, 09:17 PM
I don't personally like them, and would probably explore something like corn rows in that area to get the same look without the same committment.

Key
May 3rd, 2016, 10:00 PM
I actually already did cornrows twice, once all-over and once in a mohawk formation.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10906014_10202171097558084_7384451079710603638_n.j pg?oh=c028fd87daf3d0a03bf90f7726bbc3d1&oe=579A9A3A

I didn't like how the tightly-pulled braids gave me breakage... but it did serve its purpose. I know what I look like with a mohawk. I don't necessarily like how it frames the shape of my skull to be honest. I just don't have the shape for it.

Arctic
May 3rd, 2016, 11:45 PM
I don't personally like them, and would probably explore something like corn rows in that area to get the same look without the same committment.

OMG I read this as "I would explore crown cuts..." and thought of the monks of old shaving a circular area at the crown :laugh:

molljo
May 4th, 2016, 12:58 AM
~snip~
People bring up a really good point about growing it back out which I should probably clear up that I have no intentions to. Rather, once I'm done with the long parts of my hair (probably once I hit hip, tbl, or classic) I will go for a big chop and my long hair journey will be over unless I choose to grow again in the distant future. Actually a pixie undercut would be really cool to have afterward. I'm more or less growing out my hair as a genetic experiment.
~snip~

My biggest issue for you would be the huge pain of growing it out, but you seem to have an awesome plan in place, so I'm in completely in favor of you getting it. Please report back when you get it done!

augustana
May 4th, 2016, 04:41 AM
I feel like they would be a pain to grow out... Eep!

lillielil
May 4th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Wow this thread got intense! I know we're all enthusiastic about it, but it is just hair! If I had any hair to spare I'd consider an undercut for sure. I like the way they look on most people, and can be super creative (colors (https://www.buzzfeed.com/chrissymahlmeister/colorful-undercuts?utm_term=.viGaZ021X#.kqlRPK2dB), designs (https://www.buzzfeed.com/laurenpaul/these-cool-neck-designs-are-giving-the-ponytail-new-life?utm_term=.olJQZzEb1#.eo61BZy2L), as a compliment to beards (https://www.buzzfeed.com/javiermoreno/29-beard-and-man-bun-combinations-that-will-awaken-your-inne?utm_term=.qgQElwoMY#.jtv56yzoO)... sorry, apparently I spend too much time on buzzfeed).

I would definitely go for it, because why not? It sounds like you've got a plan to enjoy it for a while and then move on to something else. Please come back with pictures once you do it, Key!

The occasional mindset that everyone enjoys the male gaze or wants to look pretty for a romantic partner really gets on my nerves sometimes. :rolleyes: If that's what floats your boat, fine, but assuming that anyone else is in that boat with you? Nope.

hopefullocks
May 4th, 2016, 09:38 AM
I think that undercuts can look so cool. I have been tempted once or twice but never caved since I'm a giant baby about growing out extreme styles. Seems to me that if you're down with the maintenance and are prepared to be patient upon growing, might as well do what you want.

MlleMC
May 4th, 2016, 01:56 PM
I wouldn't get an undercut myself because no matter what I do, I always end up wanting to grow my hair back. But as it is not a concern for you, I'd say go for it!

I love unusual cuts and colours, even though I'm pretty conservative with my own hair (I make up for it by wearing very colourful clothes though!).

Wow this thread got intense! I know we're all enthusiastic about it, but it is just hair! If I had any hair to spare I'd consider an undercut for sure. I like the way they look on most people, and can be super creative (colors (https://www.buzzfeed.com/chrissymahlmeister/colorful-undercuts?utm_term=.viGaZ021X#.kqlRPK2dB), designs (https://www.buzzfeed.com/laurenpaul/these-cool-neck-designs-are-giving-the-ponytail-new-life?utm_term=.olJQZzEb1#.eo61BZy2L), as a compliment to beards (https://www.buzzfeed.com/javiermoreno/29-beard-and-man-bun-combinations-that-will-awaken-your-inne?utm_term=.qgQElwoMY#.jtv56yzoO)... sorry, apparently I spend too much time on buzzfeed).

Some of those are gorgeous! I especially like the ones that don't have a straight line at the top (#4 in the first article is my favourite).

Wavykate
May 4th, 2016, 02:36 PM
It seems like you have a good plan in place and know what you want to do. As I said before I had one and when i was keeping it trimmed in it was great, I even had some line patterns shaved in!

However, I also had the idea in my head that I wanted to keep it for the long term, I thought it had solved all my problems with bulky hair in summer etc. But 6 months on I'm feeling my waves and want big hair, and I can't! If you're anything like me one decision can soon turn into regret after some time has passed and you grow and change your mind. Lots of people are the same (bangs, growing out bangs, cut bangs again for example)... I do honestly wish I'd not done it. Though silver lining, I was growing out dye cold turkey too so killed 2 birds with one stone with growing both out at the same time!

goodenough
May 4th, 2016, 05:06 PM
I did this last time it was in style--twenty+ years ago, and my hair was straight and as thick as yours. My verdict is it was not a pain at all to grow out, and I hardly noticed it growing out. I did wear my hair down a lot while it was growing, but because I like it down. It was plenty thick and looked really nice up or down when I had just the back done, but adding the sides made it a little too thin. I got plenty of attention from men from the style.

(Edited to add that I got attention from women, too:)

browneyedsusan
May 4th, 2016, 05:42 PM
I think it'd be neat to try once. It's not like you're lopping off your nose, it'll grow back. :)
I've heard they're kind of a PITA to grow out, because the new growth "velcroes" to the length. Still, you could grow it back out; it'd just take time. We've all got lots of that, eh? (My climbing coach has her head shaved on one side. She bleaches that part of her head sometimes. :) )

I'd totally do it with you if I had any thickness to spare, but I don't. I'm easily enabled like that. :)

Obsidian
May 4th, 2016, 05:51 PM
I had a small nape undercut years ago and I loved it. It really helped keep me cool and removed some of the thick volume I always fight with. Summer was great and I loved the feel of the air on my nap when I wore a pony. I don't remember the stubble being bad and I only re-shaved when my hair started sticking in the stubs. My hair wasn't very long, maybe a bit past shoulder so growing it out wasn't a problem. If you do want to try it, maybe only shave off a little at first.

ReadingRenee
May 4th, 2016, 06:24 PM
I also did this about 20 years ago. Funny that it was that long ago. Anyway, I really loved it. I always wore my hair up in a bun to show it off. I am pretty sure that when it started growing out and I got tired of it that I ended up just cutting my hair. Back then, I just didn't obsess over my hair like I do now so its a little hard to remember. I do remember that it was no big deal to me though. Oh and that I did it myself with clippers. Eeeep!

nekosan
May 4th, 2016, 08:47 PM
I love the look of undercuts. I think they work best on people with thick hair (say, iii), so sadly very much not for me.

moontree
May 4th, 2016, 09:54 PM
I've previously had an undercut for years, and a mohawk for years, and both with the rest of my hair about BSL. Personally, I loved it! AMAZING in the summer, you can tend to it yourself, and I always liked how I could show it off in different ways. I also found it was perfectly easy to hide if I needed to (which I did for a job or two) by the way I parted or styled my hair. I had less thickness than you and didn't really notice is being a problem until I dyed the living daylights out of it :D

I found that I preferred a low nape undercut or mohawk, for my hairline - a larger undercut just didn't look right for my face/skull/whatever. I also dated people across the gender spectrum with various parts of their hair shaved and the rest long and I always thought it was a fun style choice. I mean the texture difference alone is great, because you have the fuzzy part and the long flowing part. (can you tell I kind of miss this style? alas! I saw someone in the store today with a high ponytail and the sides of their head shaved and immediately got the urge to break out the clippers again haha).

The growing out process was wayyyy more annoying for the mohawk than the undercut but was helped by getting a series of shorter cuts which I also loved. So go for it!