PDA

View Full Version : deep conditioning w/cones?

emmadilemma
May 2nd, 2016, 05:35 AM
Every time a hair question pops into my head, I google "*question* longhaircommunity". So I looked up how often people deep condition, and alot of people said once a week which is what I try to do. I then googled how often people clarify their hair and alot of people said once a month or so. Right now I clarify once a week so I can take off all of the cones and hard water build up on my hair and do a deep conditioning treatment. Am I wrong in how often I clarify? Because if you use cones, they coat the hair shaft, which prevents moisture, so it makes sense to take the cones off pre deep conditioning right? Whats the right way to do this? I understand that theres no 'right' way exactly but deep conditioning is good for the hair and clarifying to often isnt....whats the missing link here? :confused::)

Frankenstein
May 2nd, 2016, 06:28 AM
It just depends on what works for you personally. Have you tried going longer between clarifying washes?

I don't find it necessary to clarify before every weekly deep conditioning, despite cones and build-up etc.

lapushka
May 2nd, 2016, 06:41 AM
I wash weekly and use a sulfate shampoo on it, sometimes just the scalp, sometimes + the lengths. I think that is enough to "clarify". I do use a lot of silicones (in both conditioners, in my leave-in, in my serum). But I do sometimes (preferably every 2 months or so) go in with a special clarifying shampoo. That is new because I never used to do that - at all, and my hair was fine.

Stepo_NiNha
May 2nd, 2016, 06:41 AM
Hi,

I clarify once a week, because my split ends serum has cones and I have extremely hard water.

If it works for you, then you should be fine :cheese:

Horrorpops
May 2nd, 2016, 07:09 AM
Mmmmm my (very basic) understanding is that most sulphate shampoos should get rid of most silicones. Not sure if this is exactly right but yeah, I deep condition weekly (50% of the time with coconut oil, 50% with coney SMT) and only clarify+chelate once every few months, which I do mainly for hard water.

However this is probably one of those variable things, and given the above different routines outlined I guess whatever works best for your hair is best. :o

Anje
May 2nd, 2016, 07:17 AM
I'll get a bit of shampoo on the length if it feels like it's oily or off at all, usually every few washes. I don't really consider it clarifying because it's not directly shampooing the ends, but it should be enough to get off the occasional light cones that I use. It is sulfate shampoo, generally diluted, and cleans quite well. I save clarifying for every few months or if my hair feels really off.

That said, deep conditioning is only an occasional thing for me. My hair normally doesn't feel like it needs it, so I don't bother.

celtic
July 27th, 2016, 06:21 AM
i clarify every two or three weeks, due to using lots of cones on conditioner, deep treatment, diy leave in, and lots of natural oils. each week. it works fairly for me. but i still wish i had more volume.

missmelaniem
July 27th, 2016, 06:32 AM
I dont know if I "clarify" per se. I like using Neutrogena T Sal occasionally or I just deep condition leaving it in for awhile, which cuts through cones anyway. I moisturize my hair so much and it doesn't seem dry, so I don't give it much thought or concern

Decoy24601
July 27th, 2016, 09:01 AM
I think it really depends on what works for your hair (and what you mean by clarify). My hair gets buildup very very easily, so I shampoo the entire length whenever I shampoo my hair, which is ever 2-3 days. I don't feel like it dries my hair out that much :shrug:. I haven't used a strong clarifying shampoo in forever though, I just use one with SLS (I don't use any styling products with ingredients that can't be tackled by SLS anyways).

I deep condition/SMT every 1-2 weeks depending on how lazy I am. I use a shampoo bar that has a fair amount of silk proteins in it whenever my hair feels like it needs protein.

I don't think there's a wrong answer for "how often" to do anything as long as it's what works for your hair.

Tysiphone
July 27th, 2016, 09:47 AM
I don't think there's a wrong answer for "how often" to do anything as long as it's what works for your hair.

This.
I've realised this recently myself - if you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. You can try things that works wonders for others, but it could be the complete opposite for you. Do whatever makes YOUR hair happy. :)