PDA

View Full Version : NOT SEEING growth...

Wusel
May 1st, 2016, 08:44 AM
Since I'm BSL+ I don't see growth. I know it grows and when I measure correctly I know that it does but I feel like it doesn't grow. When it was short it seemed to grow SO fast from shoulder to armpit to bra strap... But now: I don't really SEE growth. I see that it's long. People say it's gotten SO long. And I feel it on my back but the longer it gets the less I see it growing. It's getting more difficult to measure it too, so, sometimes I measure it wrong and feel like it's getting shorter...
Do you know what I mean?
Isn't it frustrating?

pailin
May 1st, 2016, 08:50 AM
Yes, it is! It's no better at waist. Maybe it's good for us to be encouraged a lot when we begin trying to grow our hair out, especially when going through the awkward phases. But after that, it just feels slow.
My visual these days to help me see growth is to count the stitches in my braid. I've added 4 since last June when I started braiding regularly :)

-Fern
May 1st, 2016, 08:53 AM
Oh, yeah. I find it harder to measure now, too, which makes it harder for me to see growth in that manner, too! But have faith... it is slowly trucking along. :o

Wusel
May 1st, 2016, 08:56 AM
Yes, it is! It's no better at waist. Maybe it's good for us to be encouraged a lot when we begin trying to grow our hair out, especially when going through the awkward phases. But after that, it just feels slow.
My visual these days to help me see growth is to count the stitches in my braid. I've added 4 since last June when I started braiding regularly :)

GREAT! That's exactly what motivates me and shows growth. The braid stitches. I have 6 now and in my signature pic I have only 2. So, that's how I see it growing. But when it's down, I see nothing. I think it's like when you have an eating disorder and are very thin and see you in the mirror being fat. Below BSL and being a fanatic hair grower you develop a disorder of having long, growing hair and seeing short, not growing hair... :rollin:

Sarahm
May 1st, 2016, 08:56 AM
YESSSSS! I know what you mean. I'm at +/- waist now. One day, it looks like it's solid waist, and then the next, it looks way shorter :(. I always feel like my hair growth has stalled.

But my hair is curly, so that might be the reason.

Persiangirl01
May 1st, 2016, 09:01 AM
Wusel, I know exactly how you feel! In the last 2 months my hair has grown over 3cm, but I can't see the progress myself. We are both so close to waist right now, and maybe that is why we are frustrated? So close to our goal yet so far! I have found myself obsessing about my hair lately. A LOT!!!! It is crazy. I want to just practice some "benign neglect" but that takes more willpower than 1 would think!

Wusel
May 1st, 2016, 09:06 AM
Wusel, I know exactly how you feel! In the last 2 months my hair has grown over 3cm, but I can't see the progress myself. We are both so close to waist right now, and maybe that is why we are frustrated? So close to our goal yet so far! I have found myself obsessing about my hair lately. A LOT!!!! It is crazy. I want to just practice some "benign neglect" but that takes more willpower than 1 would think!

Yes... Me too :) I'm obsessing extremely because I'm so close but actually still months far from waist. :) Another reason why I pierced my ears. To have something else to be obsessed about. But now my ears are pierced, healing well, I've ordered two pairs of wonderful earrings and... I'm back on the hair-growth-obsessing-road. :rollin:

Wusel
May 1st, 2016, 09:08 AM
YESSSSS! I know what you mean. I'm at +/- waist now. One day, it looks like it's solid waist, and then the next, it looks way shorter :(. I always feel like my hair growth has stalled.

But my hair is curly, so that might be the reason.

Yes, I'm sure it's because of the curls. And I'm sure you are at least waist. :)

Stepo_NiNha
May 1st, 2016, 09:17 AM
Since I'm BSL+ I don't see growth. I know it grows and when I measure correctly I know that it does but I feel like it doesn't grow. When it was short it seemed to grow SO fast from shoulder to armpit to bra strap... But now: I don't really SEE growth. I see that it's long. People say it's gotten SO long. And I feel it on my back but the longer it gets the less I see it growing. It's getting more difficult to measure it too, so, sometimes I measure it wrong and feel like it's getting shorter...
Do you know what I mean?
Isn't it frustrating?

Yes! It does also happen to me! So, I stretch some hair and measure from my left nipple :D It doesn't fail this way :D

pailin
May 1st, 2016, 09:18 AM
Well, I guess we have motivation to braid it instead of leaving it loose.
Actually I've been obsessing a bit over learning new eays to braid, in order to stop obsessing over length.

Hailwidis
May 1st, 2016, 09:53 AM
Yep, I know exactly what you mean. My hair's been fluctuating between BSL and MBL for, oh, years and years. Always, really. Now that I'm being really careful and caring, I'm hoping to see growth but... I'm not. It just seems the same, day in, day out.

browneyedsusan
May 1st, 2016, 10:22 AM
Mine has seemed stalled since BSL, too. The body markers are closer together when it's shorter, so it seems to progress quicker. When it's long, it takes a stinking year to move from one body marker to the next, and that's if you don't trim! :justy:

I'm with you. Pick something else to mess with. I put some bright red on my ends recently, but it's about faded out now. I may re-do it for fun! I'm also trying to get better at my work--in a climbing gym. I'm not a strong climber--and work on volunteering, spending time with friends and the like.

Maybe you need a nice helix piercing? lol!
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1444/26502677955_9c7bd5aa3b_m.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/GnX9Pn)2016-04-18_08-52-43 (https://flic.kr/p/GnX9Pn) by Mom and wife (https://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/), on Flickr

Sharing in your frustration:

April 2015 *ETA--A whole YEAR ago!!!---*
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1674/26148781423_918fe9bb1b_m.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FQFkH2)Apr2015 (https://flic.kr/p/FQFkH2) by Mom and wife (https://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/), on Flickr

and have a look at my siggy.

:justy: :justy: :justy:

yogagirl
May 1st, 2016, 10:24 AM
Aww :( that's frustrating! We have the term mid-back abyss here. It seems like that is one of the lengths where it seems like nothing is moving for forever!!

I had that for a while around BSL, but now it seems like it's growing pretty fast. Partially I think it's because I stopped taking length pics and watching it so closely, but I also have a pretty short torso, so that helps reach markers like waist and hip quickly. APL to BSL+ took forever though.

Wusel
May 1st, 2016, 10:24 AM
Well, I guess we have motivation to braid it instead of leaving it loose.
Actually I've been obsessing a bit over learning new eays to braid, in order to stop obsessing over length.

Good idea. I still need to practice dutch braiding. :)

Wusel
May 1st, 2016, 10:35 AM
Aww :( that's frustrating! We have the term mid-back abyss here. It seems like that is one of the lengths where it seems like nothing is moving for forever!!

Yes... I'm something around mid back but still not really. When mid back is in the middle of BSL and WL I'm not there yet. Need an inch or so...

Wusel
May 1st, 2016, 10:41 AM
Mine has seemed stalled since BSL, too. The body markers are closer together when it's shorter, so it seems to progress quicker. When it's long, it takes a stinking year to move from one body marker to the next, and that's if you don't trim! :justy:

I'm with you. Pick something else to mess with. I put some bright red on my ends recently, but it's about faded out now. I may re-do it for fun! I'm also trying to get better at my work--in a climbing gym. I'm not a strong climber--and work on volunteering, spending time with friends and the like.

Maybe you need a nice helix piercing? lol!
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1444/26502677955_9c7bd5aa3b_m.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/GnX9Pn)2016-04-18_08-52-43 (https://flic.kr/p/GnX9Pn) by Mom and wife (https://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/), on Flickr

Sharing in your frustration:

April 2015 *ETA--A whole YEAR ago!!!---*
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1674/26148781423_918fe9bb1b_m.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FQFkH2)Apr2015 (https://flic.kr/p/FQFkH2) by Mom and wife (https://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/), on Flickr

and have a look at my siggy.

:justy: :justy: :justy:

You really have wonderful hair... And it's inches below WL now. Great!
Looks like it grew at least 2,5 inches since April 2015. That's not bad! :)

Hairkay
May 1st, 2016, 10:43 AM
Growing hair doesn't look that obvious on me either especially with my tight curls. I only really noticed a difference from last year after measuring shed hair and stretched a plait/braid to my belly button whilst reclining in the bath. I find it's best not to do that often though. I also don't take length shots partly because that's awkward for me to take and I'd be too embarrassed to ask anyone to take a picture of my hair. It's good to distract yourself looking up new hairstyles ect.

PixieP
May 1st, 2016, 10:45 AM
I feel you. I don't feel like my hair has gotten any longer since waist even though the very ends are at hip now (if I've understood correctly where hip is anyway). And it still doesn't FEEL long, lol.

Wusel
May 1st, 2016, 10:51 AM
I also don't take length shots partly because that's awkward for me to take and I'd be too embarrassed to ask anyone to take a picture of my hair.

Same here... I find it embarrassing to ask my Mr.K or other people to make a length shot. So I only do my own ones. :)

arr
May 1st, 2016, 11:07 AM
I completely understand how you can feel this way. The fact is, the longer hair gets the slower it seems to grow. For instance if you have one inch of hair and you grow one more inch, you just doubled the length. But if you have say 30 inches of hair and grow one inch, that is a very small change compared to the total length, so it just doesn't feel like anything.

spidermom
May 1st, 2016, 11:19 AM
Join the seasonal growth thread. Post a picture of your hair once each season; you'll see the growth (most of us will I should say since there is such a thing as terminal length).

Wusel
May 1st, 2016, 11:23 AM
Join the seasonal growth thread. Post a picture of your hair once each season; you'll see the growth (most of us will I should say since there is such a thing as terminal length).

Since I have my ears pierced I notice every earring here... :)
It's grapes or what is it in your profile pic? I like the shape of it :)

Seasonal growth thread is a good idea... :)

moontree
May 1st, 2016, 11:38 AM
I know this feeling! Taking monthly pictures has helped me with this, even if it doesn't look like there is progress between some months, the overall progression becomes visible when you lay the photos out beside one another. I am past BSL but many months yet until waist and it's a dreary place to be.

lapushka
May 1st, 2016, 12:07 PM
Do you know what I mean?
Isn't it frustrating?

Awkward stages are called "awkward" for a good reason! The space between BSL & waist can be small or big depending on how you're built. For me it was a few inches. I got to waist pretty fast (within half a year). Give it time, Wusel. I'm sure it *is* growing. I wouldn't even measure anymore if I were you. Just measure the length you still have to go to waist. It's a different way of measuring and it's not as obsession-inducing.

summergame
May 1st, 2016, 01:05 PM
I understand you completely! Now I am APL and it takes forever to go to BSL :( . It is quite frustrating sometimes! And you want to look every time in the mirror and see no change...

lapis_lazuli
May 1st, 2016, 01:28 PM
I really feel this. I'm stuck in the classic to finger tip void.:whip:

Wusel
May 1st, 2016, 02:21 PM
Awkward stages are called "awkward" for a good reason! The space between BSL & waist can be small or big depending on how you're built. For me it was a few inches. I got to waist pretty fast (within half a year). Give it time, Wusel. I'm sure it *is* growing. I wouldn't even measure anymore if I were you. Just measure the length you still have to go to waist. It's a different way of measuring and it's not as obsession-inducing.

I am 7-8cm/about 3 inches from waist. Waist for my birthday in October seems realistic...
I've gotten SO superficial :rollin: ... The biggest bliss gives me the thought of waist length hair and huge, golden hoops in my ears for my birthday. :rollin: :bounce:

lapushka
May 1st, 2016, 03:12 PM
I am 7-8cm/about 3 inches from waist. Waist for my birthday in October seems realistic...
I've gotten SO superficial :rollin: ... The biggest bliss gives me the thought of waist length hair and huge, golden hoops in my ears for my birthday. :rollin: :bounce:

I think that's a nice goal to have, and I hope you reach it and can make it come true!!! :D :thumbsup:

Hairkay
May 1st, 2016, 03:50 PM
It looked like 3 inches away from waist in December. Now it looks like 1 inch. Of course this is only if I pull the hair down to stretch it out. It's probably more than 10 inches away unstretched.

browneyedsusan
May 1st, 2016, 03:51 PM
You're so sweet, Wusel! I knew growing would be slower when it got longer, because I'd have to trim more to keep it looking good. Now that I'm in it, it's harder not to let it get in my head. --Obsessing about it growing and mirror checking every stinking day. It's WAY easier if I can forget about it for 3 or 4 months, then check at the end of that longer time period.--

I don't like asking to have my siggy pictures taken, either. DD used to do it, but she's off at college now. Sometimes, DH will do it--after he takes some pictures of my butt?! I always find butt pictures when he gives my phone back to me!! Silly DH!-- Most of my siggies, in front of the wooden door, are when I set the timer on my phone, tape it to the wall, scamper over to the door, throw my hair back, and plant my hands on my waist. :wigtongue: It usually takes me a zillion tries to get my hair laying sort of normally, sort of focused, and to not cut off my half of my head.

(I hope I can get some nicer siggies this summer, when DD is home from school! :) )

Wusel
May 2nd, 2016, 01:20 AM
You're so sweet, Wusel! I knew growing would be slower when it got longer, because I'd have to trim more to keep it looking good. Now that I'm in it, it's harder not to let it get in my head. --Obsessing about it growing and mirror checking every stinking day. It's WAY easier if I can forget about it for 3 or 4 months, then check at the end of that longer time period.--

I don't like asking to have my siggy pictures taken, either. DD used to do it, but she's off at college now. Sometimes, DH will do it--after he takes some pictures of my butt?! I always find butt pictures when he gives my phone back to me!! Silly DH!-- Most of my siggies, in front of the wooden door, are when I set the timer on my phone, tape it to the wall, scamper over to the door, throw my hair back, and plant my hands on my waist. :wigtongue: It usually takes me a zillion tries to get my hair laying sort of normally, sort of focused, and to not cut off my half of my head.

(I hope I can get some nicer siggies this summer, when DD is home from school! :) )

Your daughter did your pictures...? That's a great idea... I have a son... :p What a nice way to make good use of having a kid :rollin: :rollin: :rollin:
"Report for hair shots, son!" :bounce:
Fortunately he loves playing with my phone :bounce:

That's why I don't ask Mr.K for making a hair photo. I'm sure he'd be distracted by my butt too much... :rollin:

Sarahlabyrinth
May 2nd, 2016, 02:04 AM
...Two inches to grow until Classic for me. It's agonising, the WAITING :rolleyes:

Wusel
May 2nd, 2016, 02:44 AM
...Two inches to grow until Classic for me. It's agonising, the WAITING :rolleyes:

You'll get there :) I have 2 years to classic... :) So much waiting...

Sarahlabyrinth
May 2nd, 2016, 02:46 AM
You'll get there :) I have 2 years to classic... :)

Oh yeah... I remember saying that about myself :p You'll get there :)

Theobroma
May 2nd, 2016, 03:19 AM
GREAT! That's exactly what motivates me and shows growth. The braid stitches. I have 6 now and in my signature pic I have only 2. So, that's how I see it growing. But when it's down, I see nothing. I think it's like when you have an eating disorder and are very thin and see you in the mirror being fat. Below BSL and being a fanatic hair grower you develop a disorder of having long, growing hair and seeing short, not growing hair... :rollin:

I think this is just what the stretch between BSL and waist is like. It's called "the midback abyss" for a reason! I remember that the journey between those two markers seemed to take forever. They're further apart (at least on me) than APL and BSL and than SL and APL, so obviously it's going to take longer and when there's a longer distance to grow it does become harder to see the growth. I had to measure to be sure I hadn't stalled. Hang in there, you'll hit waist eventually. :)

Wusel
May 2nd, 2016, 03:24 AM
I think this is just what the stretch between BSL and waist is like. It's called "the midback abyss" for a reason! I remember that the journey between those two markers seemed to take forever. They're further apart (at least on me) than APL and BSL and than SL and APL, so obviously it's going to take longer and when there's a longer distance to grow it does become harder to see the growth. I had to measure to be sure I hadn't stalled. Hang in there, you'll hit waist eventually. :)

Thank you :flower:
Yes. It definitely is an abyss... :D

Anya15
May 2nd, 2016, 07:41 AM
You'll get there! :flower: For me it's really hard to see the growth unless I measure because of my texture. The waves never lay the same on any two given days :cry: and they do eat up a lot of length!

Stepo_NiNha
May 2nd, 2016, 08:51 AM
You'll get there! :flower: For me it's really hard to see the growth unless I measure because of my texture. The waves never lay the same on any two given days :cry: and they do eat up a lot of length!

Yes, it also happens to me.

Wavy hair behaves differently everyday. Sometimes I wake up with lots of lenghth; sometimes it seems my hair is shorter :mad:

Anya15
May 2nd, 2016, 08:59 AM
Yes, it also happens to me.

Wavy hair behaves differently everyday. Sometimes I wake up with lots of lenghth; sometimes it seems my hair is shorter :mad:

And I'd have never imagined that this would happen with wavy hair, I used to think it happened only to curlies!
I get at least an inch of length if i pull my hair straight.

cailinbee
May 2nd, 2016, 09:04 AM
Trying to get to APL definitely feels like an agonizing weight. My hair looks super awkward down, most of all, and it's in that weird stage where it's not "short" but it's also not long enough to do much with...and all the way between shoulder and APL looks the same (to me, on my own head!)

Wusel
May 2nd, 2016, 09:12 AM
And I'd have never imagined that this would happen with wavy hair, I used to think it happened only to curlies!
I get at least an inch of length if i pull my hair straight.

That's what's so annoying about braid waves. I braid my hair for an updo every day and when I let it down it looks SOOO short! :taz:

Trying to get to APL definitely feels like an agonizing weight. My hair looks super awkward down, most of all, and it's in that weird stage where it's not "short" but it's also not long enough to do much with...and all the way between shoulder and APL looks the same (to me, on my own head!)

I've been there. I know what you mean and remember well. I was the most triangle-ish head ever seen on this planet! :rollin:

cailinbee
May 2nd, 2016, 09:44 AM
I've been there. I know what you mean and remember well. I was the most triangle-ish head ever seen on this planet! :rollin:

I'm assuming that's on account of a thick head of hair! (And from your siggy picture, haha.) What I wouldn't give for triangle head right now! :P

Groovy Granny
May 2nd, 2016, 09:52 AM
Every time I feel this way...or see others who do.....I think of this product :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-ciMuVhDXA

Wusel
May 2nd, 2016, 09:56 AM
Every time I feel this way...or see others who do.....I think of this product :wink:

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin: Thank you! SO funny!!! :D

Wusel
May 2nd, 2016, 09:57 AM
I'm assuming that's on account of a thick head of hair! (And from your siggy picture, haha.) What I wouldn't give for triangle head right now! :P

Yes... Thick hair gives you a triangle when it's shorter than BSL. That was so annoying.

cailinbee
May 2nd, 2016, 10:19 AM

This made me giggle! I wasn't expecting it.

Lavendersugar
May 2nd, 2016, 03:27 PM
Same here. I'm about 4 inches to waist I swear some days it feels above bra band. On my next measure I'm going to use an old shirt and have hubby mark it for me. I feel this will be more accurate as I can't seem to measure right.

I color with henna so I try to go by growth being able to see roots. This is encouraging because I can tell easily how much I'm gaining.
I think it's also encouraged me to look at the products I'm using and pick ones I feel will take the best care of my scalp and hair to achieve my goal of not just the length but keeping very healthy hair.

Just know you are not alone.

Shepherdess
May 2nd, 2016, 03:41 PM
I have been experiencing this too lately, though I really think my hair is not actually growing (or perhaps it is breakage), since it keeps stalling at this length (47-49") and doesn't seem to want to grow any longer for the past (almost) 4 years. I remember when I first started my hair growing journey when I joined this forum, and I think my hair was about 42" at the time, and it really felt like it took off growing after that, especially with the changes in my hair care, since it reached 47" relatively fast, though I wish that it would not stall anymore at this point. :D I think at about classic to mid-thigh you really start feeling the growth, since you can feel the hair brushing against your legs when showering, and the braid can definitely be an indicator, like others have said. I'm trying different things in hopes of getting my to grow longer, like eating more protein foods, and investing in a better comb, and trying to keep stress at bay, so hopefully this helps. :)

Groovy Granny
May 2nd, 2016, 03:49 PM
This made me giggle! I wasn't expecting it.

I did they same when they first posted it for me as I was growing out from chin length!

It's always fun sharing it :cheer:

Ophidian
May 2nd, 2016, 04:14 PM

Bahahahahahahahaaaa! :rollin:

Groovy Granny
May 2nd, 2016, 05:23 PM
Bahahahahahahahaaaa! :rollin:

It is great.... yes? :wink: :laugh:

Ophidian
May 2nd, 2016, 05:35 PM
Yes! I nearly died laughing. I so need what they are "selling" :bounce:

browneyedsusan
May 2nd, 2016, 07:29 PM
GG, that is fabulous! :) :) :cheese:

Groovy Granny
May 2nd, 2016, 09:57 PM
GG, that is fabulous! :) :) :cheese:

LOL glad you enjoyed it ...I know I did when I first joined LHC :)

Anya15
May 3rd, 2016, 12:56 AM
:lol: GG that was hilarious!

Wusel
May 3rd, 2016, 01:20 AM
:lol: GG that was hilarious!

Watched it a second time :rollin: and now run to check out the channels of these wonderful, funny ladies :)

Daydreamer.
May 3rd, 2016, 03:11 AM
Yes, it is frustrating at times. Try not measuring it for a month or two...you should be able to see some growth after that.

Wusel
May 3rd, 2016, 11:28 AM
Yes, it is frustrating at times. Try not measuring it for a month or two...you should be able to see some growth after that.

I don't measure that often. I stopped doing this when I realized that I'm obsessing too much. But what I meant is mainly that you don't see your hair getting longer when it's down. You don't see an inch of growth on 30 inches long hair. It looks like it stays the same even when it's actually growing. And the journey from BSL to waist seems like forever.
Another frustrating thing is the difference in length of wet and dry hair. Now I'm out of the shower, it's wet and looks SO long. Like it almost brushes waist when I put my head a bit back. The drier it gets the shorter it looks. :justy:

augustana
May 4th, 2016, 05:08 AM
Of course it is growing :) Just try to take your mind off it and before you know it you will ahve reached your hair gaol.

Hurven
May 4th, 2016, 05:48 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I know my hair is growing because I can clearly see my virgin growth creeping down my length more and more every month. But when I look in the mirror, it just looks like it isn't growing and has stalled, even though I know for a fact that it's growing. It's so frustrating.

school of fish
May 4th, 2016, 06:06 AM
I don't know... that 'patience' stuff on the YT video looks a little too good to be true... ;) ;) Bahahahaha!!! In truth, I have some seriously admiring hair envy for each of those women in that clip - my texture is so opposite to any of theirs but I've always adored the various textures they have :)

Those ladies must be onto something with that patience stuff! It's probably the one universal ingredient that works on all hairtypes :D

Length will come to you in time Wusel, as to all of us patient souls... :)

Wusel
May 4th, 2016, 06:23 AM
I don't know... that 'patience' stuff on the YT video looks a little too good to be true... ;) ;) Bahahahaha!!! In truth, I have some seriously admiring hair envy for each of those women in that clip - my texture is so opposite to any of theirs but I've always adored the various textures they have :)

Those ladies must be onto something with that patience stuff! It's probably the one universal ingredient that works on all hairtypes :D

Length will come to you in time Wusel, as to all of us patient souls... :)

Thank you :)
And, you know, I ADORE :crush: your hair! I even showed, I SWEAR, some weeks ago, your signature picture to Mr.K and said: "That's how I will hopefully look like in 2 years, what do you think?" :) Your figure looks almost exactly like mine from the back and I really imagine to look like this when my hair is this length :)

school of fish
May 4th, 2016, 08:22 AM
Thank you :)
And, you know, I ADORE :crush: your hair! I even showed, I SWEAR, some weeks ago, your signature picture to Mr.K and said: "That's how I will hopefully look like in 2 years, what do you think?" :) Your figure looks almost exactly like mine from the back and I really imagine to look like this when my hair is this length :)

Oh that is so lovely to hear, thank you!! :D

Although I'm no longer growing for length, I'm still about a year and a half away from my hem thickness filling out - so I feel the pain of the waiting too ;) That said, I always try to feel grateful for the hair I have right now at this moment, because we just never know in life when, for whatever reason, we might lose something we cherish - how awful it would be to lose it and only then realize how cherished it was, just the way it was... That thought helps me keep my perspective and my motivation as I patiently await this growout phase of mine ;)

Wusel
May 4th, 2016, 09:04 AM
I always try to feel grateful for the hair I have right now at this moment, because we just never know in life when, for whatever reason, we might lose something we cherish - how awful it would be to lose it and only then realize how cherished it was, just the way it was... That thought helps me keep my perspective and my motivation as I patiently await this growout phase of mine ;)

That's a great attitude! :applause

Groovy Granny
May 4th, 2016, 10:57 AM
Watched it a second time :rollin: and now run to check out the channels of these wonderful, funny ladies :)

Oh...they have a channel?! ...I must go see :run:
I never thought to look when I was given that link 3 years ago...it was all newto me, and never dawned on me recently!

ETA: they do! Not sure how much I can relate as they are totally NOT my hair type, but I'm sure I can glean some info/humor from them :)
Great idea wusel ~ I subscribed :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by school of fish View Post
I always try to feel grateful for the hair I have right now at this moment, because we just never know in life when, for whatever reason, we might lose something we cherish - how awful it would be to lose it and only then realize how cherished it was, just the way it was... That thought helps me keep my perspective and my motivation as I patiently await this growout phase of mine
:agree: well said :thumbsup:

browneyedsusan
May 4th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Oh that is so lovely to hear, thank you!! :D

Although I'm no longer growing for length, I'm still about a year and a half away from my hem thickness filling out - so I feel the pain of the waiting too ;) That said, I always try to feel grateful for the hair I have right now at this moment, because we just never know in life when, for whatever reason, we might lose something we cherish - how awful it would be to lose it and only then realize how cherished it was, just the way it was... That thought helps me keep my perspective and my motivation as I patiently await this growout phase of mine ;)

You're right about the gratitude. It keeps my heart happy.
FWIW: my best friend finished chemotherapy about a year ago, and lost all of her hair. It's nearly SL now, and chemo-curly! :)

Sarahm
May 4th, 2016, 03:00 PM
Yes... Me too :) I'm obsessing extremely because I'm so close but actually still months far from waist. :) Another reason why I pierced my ears. To have something else to be obsessed about. But now my ears are pierced, healing well, I've ordered two pairs of wonderful earrings and... I'm back on the hair-growth-obsessing-road. :rollin:

Oh yes, hair growth obsession :D we know what you mean! Maybe you coul find another obsession? Skin care :p?

Yes, I'm sure it's because of the curls. And I'm sure you are at least waist. :)

Well, thank you! I'm sure you'll reach waist before you know it too :).

Magalo
May 4th, 2016, 05:14 PM
Growing from BSL to waist is just the worst. :p

pahbee
May 5th, 2016, 01:40 AM
When it's past BSL I kind of just stop paying attention to the length, be patient, and focus on haircare in the meantime. This means micro-trimming as necessary and doing any nourishing treatments and henna treatments when I have the time.

Wusel
May 5th, 2016, 02:24 AM
Maybe you coul find another obsession? Skin care :p?

I have asian ancestors so I'm already obsessing about skincare like there's no tomorrow. :lol:
I layer up to 15 products per day on my face and spend most of my money on skincare.
When I tell my son or Mr.K "I go to the bathroom to put cream on my face." they know that I'm talking about a 1 hour procedure. :lol:
I wish I would look more asian but it's only a bit when you know and look closer. Or when asian people meet me.
They always tell me that they see the asian something in my face. Most europeans don't unfortunately.
My mom's eyes look very asian but I have the big, round eyes from my blonde, swedish looking dad. :lol:
And my pelvic is asian too. Like my mom's. There was now way to get that child out of me without cutting. :lol: I knew it already when I was 16.
I'm still rambling too much... :lol:

Sarahlabyrinth
May 5th, 2016, 03:22 AM
I have asian ancestors so I'm already obsessing about skincare like there's no tomorrow. :lol:
I layer up to 15 products per day on my face and spend most of my money on skincare.
When I tell my son or Mr.K "I go to the bathroom to put cream on my face." they know that I'm talking about a 1 hour procedure. :lol:
I wish I would look more asian but it's only a bit when you know and look closer. Or when asian people meet me.
They always tell me that they see the asian something in my face. Most europeans don't unfortunately.
My mom's eyes look very asian but I have the big, round eyes from my blonde, swedish looking dad. :lol:
And my pelvic is asian too. Like my mom's. There was now way to get that child out of me without cutting. :lol: I knew it already when I was 16.
I'm still rambling too much... :lol:

Really? It's warm water and a tiny bit of soap for me and that's it.... I don't have patience for messing around with skin care.

In my 20's some colleagues dragged me to have a facial/make up thing done and the sales person was telling me how I need to buy this, and that , oh and you can't do without these, and THIS is essential.

I said "What's the worst that will happen if I don't buy all these products - it's not as though my face is going to fall off". Nope, they got nothing out of me. I hate having gloop, ie: makeup or creams on my face.... :p

Of course gloop in my hair to make it look better is another thing altogether. :p

lapushka
May 5th, 2016, 05:06 AM
I'm not that bothered by skincare either. I am extremely dry, so the Nivea blue tin moisturizer and some sweet almond oil = enough for me.

Wusel
May 5th, 2016, 05:06 AM
Really? It's warm water and a tiny bit of soap for me and that's it.... I don't have patience for messing around with skin care.

In my 20's some colleagues dragged me to have a facial/make up thing done and the sales person was telling me how I need to buy this, and that , oh and you can't do without these, and THIS is essential.

I said "What's the worst that will happen if I don't buy all these products - it's not as though my face is going to fall off". Nope, they got nothing out of me. I hate having gloop, ie: makeup or creams on my face.... :p

Of course gloop in my hair to make it look better is another thing altogether. :p

I don't paint my face too. It's just the skincare.
Cleanser
Second cleanser
Toner
Exfoliant
Treatment
Antioxidant Serum
Cream
Lip butter
eye cream
Eyelash serum (I have asian eyelashes, meaning, almost NO eyelashes when I don't use Lumigan or other stuff like this)
That's my evening routine :) Quite normal by asian standards :) But I skip some products sometimes when I'm lazy or tired. Or depending on how my skin feels like :)
When I come out of the bathroom it's all soaked in. If something is gloopy, it's the wrong product. :)
It's a matter of growing up and education. I don't like the expensive clothing and shoes my parents wear but I see the benefits of good skin care so, I do it. And I enjoy it. It destresses me after a stressful day of a full time working mom :)
And the products aren't THAT expensive. I'm on a tight budget so when I say it eats up lots of my money it's still in fact little money. The ALDI cleanser is FANTASTIC, lapushka!!!

Anya15
May 5th, 2016, 11:12 AM
Wow, Wusel! That's a lot of products! :)

I have what they call combination skin. Meaning it gets oily in summer and dry in winter. So I have to change my routine accordingly.

In summer it's just a gentle face wash, turmeric cream and aloe gel. In winter I mix the turmeric cream with a bit of the nivea cream and put that on my face.

In winter my arms and legs get a lot of nivea body lotion.

I have to be very careful with any moisturising cream on my face. Too much and I might break out.

Hairkay
May 5th, 2016, 11:21 AM
I just use water then put a little emollient cream to stop the skin drying out that's all.

lapushka
May 5th, 2016, 01:50 PM
The ALDI cleanser is FANTASTIC, lapushka!!!

That's great! :D Here it's just water, and sometimes oil. My skin doesn't tolerate anything else. And my face only gets cleansed with water when I get up (then the moisturizer). In the evening, just the oil and the moisturizer.

Persiangirl01
May 6th, 2016, 12:53 AM
I've always had relatively clear skin other than a few black/white heads under the skin. I used to have a cleansing, toning and moisturising routine (sort of) but for the last months Ive been cleansing with water or aloe gel with tea tree oil. I have less blackheads on my face now than ever and my face never feels dry! :)

Wusel
May 6th, 2016, 03:31 AM
I've always had relatively clear skin other than a few black/white heads under the skin. I used to have a cleansing, toning and moisturising routine (sort of) but for the last months Ive been cleansing with water or aloe gel with tea tree oil. I have less blackheads on my face now than ever and my face never feels dry! :)

Relatively clear skin... sounds fantastic...
I've started a "professional acne career" at age 15 or so and all the products I use are anti-acne. I still suffer from adult acne and when I stop my regimen I get cysts instantly. I envy people who are able to use only water and soap.
With my routine I succeeded getting rid of scars, marks, acne discolorations so, even if I wanted to, there's no way for me to lay back and stop taking care of my skin. I'm not happy about this.

Persiangirl01
May 6th, 2016, 03:44 AM
Wusel, it's good that you have found a routine that helps you! I am only recently learning (thanks to trying to look after my scalp better) that I have been caring for my skin wrong all this time. In summer, my skin can handle the abuse, but in winter. Soap makes my skin so dry it looks scaly, and even cream doesn't help it enough! If i use face cleansers, my skin gets so dry that it flakes off and i get dry scalp. Ever since going sulphate free, no more dandruff. So i decided to try it for my face and body too. My skin just responds better to less product

Silverbrumby
May 6th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Ooooo, skincare. I use:

Obagi Vit C exfoliate cream when I think of it
A daily moisturizer with sunscreen. Whatever was on sale at CVS pharmacy.
Dermal pen with vit C serum follow up when I can be bothered.

That's it.

ravenheather
May 6th, 2016, 02:16 PM
I have just started a skincare routine that works for me: annmariegianni.com. I have never used anything that made my skin as nice as this. My default has been african black soap and a little shea butter at night for the last few years. No breakouts. Not even before my period and skin like a baby's.

Wusel
May 6th, 2016, 03:34 PM
Ooooo, skincare. I use:

Obagi Vit C exfoliate cream when I think of it
A daily moisturizer with sunscreen. Whatever was on sale at CVS pharmacy.
Dermal pen with vit C serum follow up when I can be bothered.

That's it.

I've read about Obagi... But it's not available in Germany unfortunately... Obagi has great anti acne stuff...

Silverbrumby
May 8th, 2016, 11:24 PM
I love Wusel, it but it's expensive. I got it on amazon which brought the cost down.

Wusel
May 10th, 2016, 11:52 AM
My folded braid updo feels different... Like... heavier and folds differently than before. I feel that it grows in updos too but when it's down it feels shorter and shorter :lol:

Hairkay
May 10th, 2016, 01:39 PM
My folded braid updo feels different... Like... heavier and folds differently than before. I feel that it grows in updos too but when it's down it feels shorter and shorter :lol:

Yes Wusel,

that's growth. I've noticed my hair is a little bit heavier than last year.

Wusel
May 10th, 2016, 02:40 PM
Yes Wusel,

that's growth. I've noticed my hair is a little bit heavier than last year.

I see you are MBL. :) What is mid back for you? Is it in the middle between waist and bra strap? I'm an inch or so below the bottom part of the strap and still about 7cm from waist. Am I MBL now or still BSL+ :?:

Wusel
May 13th, 2016, 07:06 AM
Looks like my hair didn't grow since 2 weeks... :(
Measurement error... I hope...
I don't know... I have dark eye circles, don't sleep much and feel knocked up... Spring fever...?

Persiangirl01
May 17th, 2016, 02:17 AM
I'm posting in this thread because I don't want to start a new one, but today I saw a friend of mine whose hair is now close to hip length! It is so so long, and it seemed like she grew it sooooo easily! Last time I saw her it was almost waist length. I have to envy her a bit :shrug: It's like I can't see my own growth but everyone's hair around me is just growing like weed :doh: Feeling so demotivated today!

Anya15
May 17th, 2016, 02:28 AM
It's probably just slow, Wusel. Try waiting a month between measurements. :)

Persiangirl your hair is growing, it doesn't stop! I like to take monthly progress photos because I can actually see the growth there, even though I don't feel it. :D perhaps you can do that..

Mimha
May 17th, 2016, 05:17 AM
It's funny because I often FEEL that my hair has grown before I actually check and realize that it has indeed grown.

Hairkay
May 17th, 2016, 11:37 AM
I see you are MBL. :) What is mid back for you? Is it in the middle between waist and bra strap? I'm an inch or so below the bottom part of the strap and still about 7cm from waist. Am I MBL now or still BSL+ :?:

I do consider it to be between waist and bra strap. I think I'm about 3cm from waist.

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 28th, 2016, 12:57 PM
This is a constant issue for me. I feel like im stuck between APL and BSL. I never visually see growth guh

summergame
November 28th, 2016, 01:13 PM
This is a constant issue for me. I feel like im stuck between APL and BSL. I never visually see growth guh

I totally recognize this! I'm stuck at APL also and my bleached orange parts of my hair didn't grow out at all :( .

browneyedsusan
November 28th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Yes.
BSL was the first time my growth "got stuck". One day, I'd look at it and it would look close to BSL, then the next time I looked at it, it looked like it was closer to APL. I'd recommend to quit looking at it for 4 solid months. Write the date on the calendar and ignore it until then. Just put it up and forget about it. When the time has passed, take it down and have a look. It should be closer to your marker!

(I also got "stuck" at WL. When I ignored it a few months, and it slipped close to hip.)

vampyyri
November 28th, 2016, 02:06 PM
I'm currently in the stage of "put it up and forget about it" since HL... just waiting for the day that I take my hair down and it's magically TBL :pray: I just really hope I don't get the same poopy terminal length that my sister has at BCL :wail:

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 1st, 2016, 10:03 PM
I totally recognize this! I'm stuck at APL also and my bleached orange parts of my hair didn't grow out at all :( .

Whats annoy though is I have no bleach or damage. I cant tell if my waves are swallowing all my length or if hair is breaking off, so it worries me.
I think I want to start actually measuring. I need to see numbers because visuals arent working anymore.

Annalouise
December 2nd, 2016, 04:12 AM
Guys, this is why you should measure your length.:) (Best done on freshly washed hair that is combed and then run your fingers down the length, like a hairdresser does before cutting. This is to get the most accurate measurement because wavy and curly hair shrinks when it dries). There is a difference between being impatient, and the hair actually not gaining length. If your hair is not gaining length then you would want to know that so that you can make adjustments to your hair care routine, and possibly take a hair supplement or get your blood work done.
I gained 2.5 inches in 11 months. So I changed my shampoo & conditioner. I got blood work done and I was deficient in one vitamin, and I am taking the full dose of a biotin hair supplement. I also ditched my bbb to see if that is contributing to poor hair length retention although I don't think it is but we can never be too sure.
Be scientific about your hair. Monitor it and make adjustments if you are not seeing any progress. :puppy:

Mrstran
December 2nd, 2016, 09:32 AM
It's kind of odd, and I completely get it. I see my growth from the back when I take photos just fine. However, when pulling my hair to the front it looks no different than it did in October. ??? It measures longer, but looks the same. Completely baffled!

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 2nd, 2016, 11:43 AM
It's kind of odd, and I completely get it. I see my growth from the back when I take photos just fine. However, when pulling my hair to the front it looks no different than it did in October. ??? It measures longer, but looks the same. Completely baffled!

This is a problem for me too. I see photos of myself with hair pulled forward from way back in june and it looks the same as today. I think pulling hair forward swallows a lot of length, so i dont worry about it too much. But I would like to see a slight difference one day... lol

mizukitty
December 2nd, 2016, 04:16 PM
Yes.
I'd recommend to quit looking at it for 4 solid months. Write the date on the calendar and ignore it until then. Just put it up and forget about it. When the time has passed, take it down and have a look. It should be closer to your marker!

Totally second this. I completely forgot about my hair for a while and was subtly reminded that it was longer because of increased weight. I was wrapping a bun and noticed it was "fuller" too. Took a bit longer to brush out. It's nice to just set it and forget it until little random things like this prove it has grown!