PDA

View Full Version : The Big Bun Life

Hairkay
April 30th, 2016, 02:20 PM
I came across this video for buns with type 4 hair. I've seen buns done like this before. It's like a puffbun. I'm planning on trying out a version of this without the hair products and brush. With my hair length I'm sure I can get a humongous bun with this method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9RmHoiTz7A

meteor
April 30th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Oh my God, that's awesome! :D I love how shapable her hair is! :crush: Beautiful texture and bun!

lapushka
April 30th, 2016, 03:14 PM
Quite the puff. Wow! :D

Hairkay
April 30th, 2016, 03:27 PM
I miss putting my hair up in a puff. It's too long for that now since it hangs instead of forming a nice ball shape but with this bun I can achieve something similar and still continue to get my hair longer.

RebekahE
April 30th, 2016, 03:32 PM
I request pictures of the finished bun once you do it.

Horrorpops
April 30th, 2016, 06:07 PM
Gorgeous hair and very cool tutorial :o

LadyCelestina
May 1st, 2016, 03:41 AM
Wow this is awesome! I envy people with very curly hair their volume and the ability to slather their hair in oil and have it look good.

Arctic
May 1st, 2016, 03:46 AM
It wasn't clear to me how she secured the top? I love the look, I hope you'll get it to work, Kay!

Simsy
May 1st, 2016, 03:49 AM
As far as I can tell, she just pinned the top down into a curve.

PixieP
May 1st, 2016, 04:09 AM
My god she is so stunning! And that bun is absolutley fab. I hope you'll post pictures of yours Hairkay!

Arctic
May 1st, 2016, 04:29 AM
This video show the pinning better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yADvpHeCCwc

Hairkay
May 1st, 2016, 06:27 AM
I request pictures of the finished bun once you do it.
I'll try.

It wasn't clear to me how she secured the top? I love the look, I hope you'll get it to work, Kay!
She twisted the ends and pinned it in.

This video show the pinning better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yADvpHeCCwc
Yes it's better on this one.
I think mine might end up looking a bit like this one since when I put my hair up in one it flops around like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQbX_3m29wo

The biggest puffiest bun I've seen is here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yiattw85wE

May 1st, 2016, 07:25 AM
Wow. That bun is so huge! Amazing!

Hairkay
May 1st, 2016, 11:08 AM
Wow. That bun is so huge! Amazing!

Yeah it is. Here's one of how she takes it down. This way you can see how it's done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVmWN8JhPpo

big loose twists put in one then the ends are tucked in the middle of the puff.

proo
May 2nd, 2016, 03:45 AM
Cipriana's hair is so inspirational on many levels- health, ease, individuality, beauty.
Thanks for reminding me of her!

Wusel
May 2nd, 2016, 06:48 AM
THE PADLOCK EARRING!!!!!!!

LOOOOOOOVE!!! :crush: :inlove:

Off topic, I'm sorry... but I've pierced my ears last week Wednesday and now I only see earrings everywhere :rolleyes:

Wusel
May 2nd, 2016, 06:58 AM
What a great idea... If I had this texture of hair I would really enjoy wearing this every day. Looks fantastic. Like 60s :inlove:

I love this here too! Great! :)

https://youtu.be/Ch6rjqe47N8

maborosi
May 2nd, 2016, 10:36 AM
Wow wow wow. When she was taking her hair out of the braids I was just amazed at how it just defied gravity.

Wusel
May 2nd, 2016, 02:24 PM
Wow wow wow. When she was taking her hair out of the braids I was just amazed at how it just defied gravity.

Me too. This natural 4c hair is amazing for us with normal, hanging down european hair, isn't it? I'm sure it's sometimes not easy to handle and care for but at the same time I'm sure it's a lot of fun to play with it and mould hairstyles like working with clay. :)

Hairkay
May 2nd, 2016, 05:50 PM
Me too. This natural 4c hair is amazing for us with normal, hanging down european hair, isn't it? I'm sure it's sometimes not easy to handle and care for but at the same time I'm sure it's a lot of fun to play with it and mould hairstyles like working with clay. :)

The French roll was great in the video. 4c hair is normal too. It's just one variety of hair.

Anya15
May 2nd, 2016, 09:16 PM
Wow...I am just in awe of her hair! :crush: So beautiful and the finished bun was lovely.

Hairkay if you do try this please post pictures :)

May 3rd, 2016, 07:16 AM
That Cipriana vid... I said I couldn't fit into doors when I used cinnamon as dry shampoo... but this vid - these are officially biggest hair I ever saw! Never had anything so big xD. Ahh, so she does twists. And air between hair strands adds more volume. Cool hairstyle!

for us with normal, hanging down european hair
Whatever that even means... 'normal' european hair... I mean, I know what you mean, my hair hangs downwards too. But every time I check polish blogs there's info for straight and wavy hair, sometimes, very rarely, there's something for 3a. When I started to take care of my hair and saw these tiny curls I didn't knew what to do and couldn't find any info locally. At some point I started to lurk on type 3/4 blogs, still not exactly what I'm looking for (I'm not that curly, huh) but finally at least *something* familiar... I learned a lot... I still sometimes see before and after keratin photos of polish gals claiming they have 'straight and unruly' hair but before photos look like my hair when they're combed out. It's ridiculous... Like they're trying to fit into some sort of 'normal european hair' standard and make their hair straight or wavy. If their hair is straight why do they need keratin, eh? I started to notice puffy hair more when I go out... they're everywhere. It seems like half of people I see have puffy hair. Hard to tell if these are wavy, curly or just damaged, but for people who claim their most common hair type is straight there's just too many poofy people... Wavies thinking their hair is straight I can understand since they comb out straight but curlies thinking they're straight? That's a new level of stupidity...

AJNinami
May 3rd, 2016, 07:45 AM

Straight hair isn't a european trait, many in India and Asia have straight hair as well. At the same time, I wouldn't call it normal either. I think there is at least the same amount of curlies and straighties in the world, possibly more.

lapushka
May 3rd, 2016, 09:15 AM
My hair isn't straight either, so I probably don't fit the "European mold" either. ;) :p
I know what she meant, though...

SparrowWings
May 3rd, 2016, 09:54 AM
"Normal" to her perception and life experiences, folks, not normal as in everything else is unnatural. Perhaps not the best wording, but wow, there's a lot of interpreting that as an insult while claiming to understand the meaning!

That said, I probably would have used the same phrasing considering my background. Sure, I know people with straight, wavy, and curly hair. I was friends with a girl with kinky hair when I was really young. But she was the sole exception. I've grown up in an area where those of Hispanic descent were less common, and those of African descent were positively rare (I'm pretty sure her family was the only one in town when I was younger, and would be surprised if there are more than five, if that many, in town now). So for all that I'm used to a variety of straight-to-curly textures and corresponding volumes and some degree of hair being able to largely secure itself in a style, hair that sticks out straight like that, and holds like a rock without any outside assistance, could be the next best thing to magic. I understand that it's perfectly normal, and that it's far more common in other parts of the world (to the point that I with my straight, "limp" hair would be the odd one out!), but to me, hair that obeys gravity is "normal", just like Wusel said. And because that's what I'm used to, I would also personally hate to have hair that kinky on my head. It seems so much harder to care for. But I definitely think it's cool, and am fascinated by, the things that can be done with it that I could never dream of doing with my hair, like that puff bun. So all the more power to those of you who have it to show it off as you see fit! :)

Hairkay
May 3rd, 2016, 11:58 AM
In my experience I know just as much curlies as straight haired and wavies. A lot of those curlies are type 4 and some straighten for ease of management or style or to have flowing hair or because they feel they must to get ahead in the world.

01, I guess you've seen a lot of wavies and curlies in denial.

Hairkay
May 5th, 2016, 03:08 AM
Here's another big puff bun done with twists. Excuse the Christmas intro, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al8IxGFKXE4

Wusel
May 5th, 2016, 03:17 AM
"Normal" to her perception and life experiences, folks, not normal as in everything else is unnatural. Perhaps not the best wording, but wow, there's a lot of interpreting that as an insult while claiming to understand the meaning!

That said, I probably would have used the same phrasing considering my background. Sure, I know people with straight, wavy, and curly hair. I was friends with a girl with kinky hair when I was really young. But she was the sole exception. I've grown up in an area where those of Hispanic descent were less common, and those of African descent were positively rare (I'm pretty sure her family was the only one in town when I was younger, and would be surprised if there are more than five, if that many, in town now). So for all that I'm used to a variety of straight-to-curly textures and corresponding volumes and some degree of hair being able to largely secure itself in a style, hair that sticks out straight like that, and holds like a rock without any outside assistance, could be the next best thing to magic. I understand that it's perfectly normal, and that it's far more common in other parts of the world (to the point that I with my straight, "limp" hair would be the odd one out!), but to me, hair that obeys gravity is "normal", just like Wusel said. And because that's what I'm used to, I would also personally hate to have hair that kinky on my head. It seems so much harder to care for. But I definitely think it's cool, and am fascinated by, the things that can be done with it that I could never dream of doing with my hair, like that puff bun. So all the more power to those of you who have it to show it off as you see fit! :)

Thank you for understanding how I meant it. I've never seen someone with kinky hair here or met in real life.
The first hair of that kind I've seen was on YouTube.
There's no chance to see it in North Germany.
So, what I "normally" or usually see is straight or wavy hair hanging down cut in a bob or being styled in a pixie.
And, btw, my hair isn't "normal" for the area where I live too. Because it's too long :lol: And I'm happy about this. :)

Arctic
May 5th, 2016, 03:21 AM
Beautiful! I love the double tiered structure!

Hairkay
October 12th, 2016, 10:23 AM
I've found another version of the big puff bun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbuCmw9kMm8

EdG
October 12th, 2016, 11:11 PM
That is a big bun. :thud:
Ed