PDA

View Full Version : Tangle Teaser virgin needs some advice

Simsy
April 30th, 2016, 08:36 AM
I found a Tangleze in Target today. Judging from various descriptions, it's a brand of Tangle Teaser. I have used it and now I have questions.

So it combs beautifully, no pulling or snagging that I could feel. But I seem to have shed more using this than with just fingers. Is this normal for a first use, or with TTs in general? And is it likely, all other factors aside, to settle down a bit?

And a side question, can thick hair also be fine?

pailin
April 30th, 2016, 09:17 AM
I can't answer about shedding, but fine hair can definitely be thick.

lapushka
April 30th, 2016, 09:25 AM
Yes you can have F hair, but "lots of it" as they say. I'm like that.

I haven't noticed more shedding with the Tangle Teezer, but... it is spring, could be your spring shed. Try your normal routine again, and see if it really truly is the TT.

pailin
April 30th, 2016, 09:28 AM
Actually, one thought on shedding - if you've been finger-detangling only, perhaps you were less aware of sheds (ie falling on floor unnoticed), whereas the tangle teezer tends to hold onto them.

Cg
April 30th, 2016, 10:01 AM
Actually, one thought on shedding - if you've been finger-detangling only, perhaps you were less aware of sheds (ie falling on floor unnoticed), whereas the tangle teezer tends to hold onto them.

I agree. I detangle first with fingers, but when I then use a bamboo detangle brush, I do find a few more snarls that the fingers didn't.

LongCurlyTress
April 30th, 2016, 10:28 AM
I found a Tangleze in Target today. Judging from various descriptions, it's a brand of Tangle Teaser. I have used it and now I have questions.

So it combs beautifully, no pulling or snagging that I could feel. But I seem to have shed more using this than with just fingers. Is this normal for a first use, or with TTs in general? And is it likely, all other factors aside, to settle down a bit?

Yeppers!! When using the TT, as a 3b/f/ iii I recommend only using it on dry hair, and from tips to scalp area in small sections while brushing slowly. If you add a drop of evoo on the length after doing this, and then lwb or cinammon bun for an hour or so, then this calms down the frizziness. ;)

Beborani
April 30th, 2016, 10:58 AM
2c/3a here too. Do whatever you are doing on a contrasting surface and see if they are sheds or breakage. If you have no breakage, then you're good to go. Unfortunately, I got tons of breakage so had to retire it immediately.

lapushka
April 30th, 2016, 11:24 AM

I was thinking the same thing. The TT really holds on to everything that comes out. And the finger detangling maybe just goes through the drain or on the floor (wherever it is you detangle).

Arctic
April 30th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Quick googling looks like Tangleze is a TT rip off.

Simsy
April 30th, 2016, 07:28 PM
I can't answer about shedding, but fine hair can definitely be thick.

Yes you can have F hair, but "lots of it" as they say. I'm like that..

I haven't noticed more shedding with the Tangle Teezer, but... it is spring, could be your spring shed. Try your normal routine again, and see if it really truly is the TT.

Thank you both for the fine hair cliarification. Lapushka, l have never noticed a seasonal shed, but I have only stopped used the brush in the last 8 months, so it's entirely possible I missed the last one completely? Are Autumn sheds as common as Spring sheds?

Actually, one thought on shedding - if you've been finger-detangling only, perhaps you were less aware of sheds (ie falling on floor unnoticed), whereas the tangle teezer tends to hold onto them..

Possible. Also; come to think of it; the sheds tended to come out over different passes, so I probably have not realised how many there were.

I agree. I detangle first with fingers, but when I then use a bamboo detangle brush, I do find a few more snarls that the fingers didn't.

Yeppers!! When using the TT, as a 3b/f/ iii I recommend only using it on dry hair, and from tips to scalp area in small sections while brushing slowly. If you add a drop of evoo on the length after doing this, and then lwb or cinammon bun for an hour or so, then this calms down the frizziness. ;)

No wet hair combing or TT over here, I like having my hair behave on my head, not wimpering on the floor. Thanks for the tip, I'll remember that one.😊

2c/3a here too. Do whatever you are doing on a contrasting surface and see if they are sheds or breakage. If you have no breakage, then you're good to go. Unfortunately, I got tons of breakage so had to retire it immediately.

Not sure what you mean but holding up the ends to see if they snapped maybe? I didn't feel any but I'll check that this morning.

I was thinking the same thing. The TT really holds on to everything that comes out. And the finger detangling maybe just goes through the drain or on the floor (wherever it is you detangle).

A high possiblity, I did tend to get splits out over different passes, the TT seems to have caught them all in only a couple.

Quick googling looks like Tangleze is a TT rip off.

That would not surprise me in the slightest. Still, it's the first one I have seen. I don't even know if TT sells in Australia, and it difinetly doesn't sell out where I am. If I ever get my hands on one, I would like to see how they compare.

The hair felt so good afterwards, like a good brushing minus the poof ball. I shall see what it looks like this morning.

Thank you all for the assistance, I shall let you know the results.

Upside Down
May 1st, 2016, 04:56 AM
I just got my hands on an original tangle teezer. Before I was brushing with a paddle brush and macadamia brush (a tt ripoff).

I immediately noticed less shedding and breaking. Well, breaking is non existant with the tt. (You know those parts of hair that would end up in the sink and you see they are broken off, not whole hairs. )

:shrug:

lapushka
May 1st, 2016, 05:19 AM
Thank you both for the fine hair cliarification. Lapushka, l have never noticed a seasonal shed, but I have only stopped used the brush in the last 8 months, so it's entirely possible I missed the last one completely? Are Autumn sheds as common as Spring sheds?

Yes they are as common! Some people don't have both. I seem to be skipping my spring one this year... it seems. Could be that once May comes around it will hit me like a ton of bricks.

Simsy
May 1st, 2016, 07:10 AM
The good news is the hair feels good. I used the TT right before I washed and I think lost less hair in the shower than usual, so I'm happy with that. I also think I have reached the tipping point with fizz, even poofy, it's still pointing down and looks presentable. :cheese:��

I won't use it on the curls for a couple of days, just until I get the wave to settle in.

lapushka
May 1st, 2016, 07:50 AM
The good news is the hair feels good. I used the TT right before I washed and I think lost less hair in the shower than usual, so I'm happy with that. I also think I have reached the tipping point with fizz, even poofy, it's still pointing down and looks presentable. :cheese:��

I won't use it on the curls for a couple of days, just until I get the wave to settle in.

I wouldn't dry brush with it, unless it's before a wash... unless the point is to lose all your texture! I especially don't comb/brush my waves for the entire week. Then I only comb/brush prior to washing. And only with a WT comb when wet.

Beborani
May 1st, 2016, 11:56 AM
Sorry for not being clear. When you brush your hair keep a sheet of contrasting color (for me that is white) underneath you to collect all the hair that falls off and see if majority of them are breakage or sheds. I got lot of tiny pieces (1 cm) that were obviously breakage. I didn't bother to check the larger pieces back then as breakage was obvious and I had to stop brushing. It is best to do this anytime you are trying out a new tool or method.

emmadilemma
May 1st, 2016, 04:17 PM

If you've only been finger combing chances are there were hairs that were shed but still tangled in with the rest of your hair, finger combing covers large areas broadly but not the finer details so to speak, so to take a brush of any sort and run it through you're likely to see more hair shed because of what was just sitting in your hair. I always see more hair when I use a TT vs when I finger comb. Don't worry!

vega
May 1st, 2016, 04:26 PM
I have tanglez its no association to tangle teezer , tanglez in my case was a throw away bristles to short and scratchy Tangle teezer is much better

MsPharaohMoan
May 1st, 2016, 07:07 PM
Sorry for not being clear. When you brush your hair keep a sheet of contrasting color (for me that is white) underneath you to collect all the hair that falls off and see if majority of them are breakage or sheds. I got lot of tiny pieces (1 cm) that were obviously breakage. I didn't bother to check the larger pieces back then as breakage was obvious and I had to stop brushing. It is best to do this anytime you are trying out a new tool or method.

This is good advice! Will try. How big of a sheet? How do you detangle so the broken bits get collected where the sheet is?