PDA

View Full Version : How much conditioner?

lapushka
April 30th, 2016, 07:53 AM
How much conditioner do you put in your hair. For me, a 200-250ml bottle usually lasts me between 2-4 goes, depending on the amount in the bottle and what I use.

Typically for me it's a palmful. Hair is wrung out of water (squeezed out along the length, not like a rag) and then conditioner is applied (applies far far better, "sticks" better, when the water is out of your hair). It is smeared on heavily.

Exactly how much do you use, how long does a bottle last, and how long is your hair.

Mine is classic length, layered.

yogagirl
April 30th, 2016, 08:00 AM
My hair is WL+, slightly layered. I use a walnut sized dollop, applied to hair after as much water was squeezed out as possible, then massaged into the length (from CBL down) and a little bit patted on the top layers on my head.

I've gotta ask though, lapushka, you don't really "wring" your hair, right? That sounds like a lot of tension/stretching on the strands.

lapushka
April 30th, 2016, 08:09 AM
My hair is WL+, slightly layered. I use a walnut sized dollop, applied to hair after as much water was squeezed out as possible, then massaged into the length (from CBL down) and a little bit patted on the top layers on my head.

I've gotta ask though, lapushka, you don't really "wring" your hair, right? That sounds like a lot of tension/stretching on the strands.

Water is squeezed out all along the length, no not wrung like a rag no! :lol: Let me just add that in my OP real quick!

yogagirl
April 30th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Water is squeezed out all along the length, no not wrung like a rag no! :lol: Let me just add that in my OP real quick!
Phew!! ;) yeah that's how I do it too.

ETA: I knew a girl who did wring her hair just like a rag, eeek! Anyway, that's why I had to ask :)

Arctic
April 30th, 2016, 08:15 AM
I use quite lot of conditoner. I can't say how long a bottle lasts, maybe 3-ish weeks (typically a 250 ml bottle) with almost daily washing. I have never counted how many uses I get from a bottle. My hair is on a thinner side of ii and about APL or slightly shorter.

I aim for the seaweed feeling, that's when I've had enough conditioner. I apply it as high as possible too, without getting any into my scalp, but I concentrate on the lower length/ends. I have lot of coarse, wiry hairs and conditioning this way helps them stay smoother.

After washing I use a 1/2 to 1 pea's worth as a leave-in, mostly on ends and canopy.

Simsy
April 30th, 2016, 08:24 AM
I have waist + length curls and I use a palmful(ish) applied from roots to tips once the hair is clear of shampoo. If the ends are feeling dry, I dollop another palmful on the nape to tips ands comb it through throughly.

As for how long a bottle lasts, I might get 4-6 weeks out of a 500ml bottle with once weekly washes, depending on how many 2nd palmfuls I have to use.

Horrorpops
April 30th, 2016, 08:56 AM
Sooooo much, I normally buy large bottles of pantene or tresemme but I recently tried HE moroccan my shine - I am going through the smaller bottles so fast! It's lasted me maybe a month which is about 6-8 washes :p

pailin
April 30th, 2016, 09:07 AM
My bottles are mostly 180-200 cc. They usually last a couple weeks, washing daily. It depends whether I'm doing cwc or wc. My hair is at waist.

Silverbleed
April 30th, 2016, 09:13 AM
I don't use that much yet since I don't have much length as all you lovelies here (I'm aaaallllmost APL). But I use about a palm amount of conditioner. I'm glad I have 500 ml bottles tho, it doesn't make me feel as bad when I finished another one again lol. It's empty after two months.

spidermom
April 30th, 2016, 09:29 AM
I have about hip length, blunt, probably ii/iii thickness. I use a dollop of conditioner about the size of the end of my thumb. I used to use much more, like a palm full or 2. But I've discovered that if I spend some time massaging it through, a little goes a long way. I use a leave-in spray, too, maybe 2-4 sprays. That's plenty of conditioning.

I noticed that my hair was much more frizzy looking when I used more conditioner.

LongCurlyTress
April 30th, 2016, 10:22 AM
TBL here and iii 3b/f... I use approx 7 small palmfuls... One coating each small 1" section of hair individually before I detangle with my Madora comb -- slowly from ends to scalp area. I try to not let it get on the roots... since if it gets on the roots it seems to create alot more shedding during detangling... I add a bit more conditioner on tangles as needed. Then a drop-- dime- sized of evoo on the tips after I am out of the shower and comb that through but usually all detangling is finished by that time. No other leave in's... have never found the magical one... and seems like they all make my hair feel glued together... ;(

lithostoic
April 30th, 2016, 10:41 AM
An a**load.

parkmikii
April 30th, 2016, 10:47 AM
About 2-3 pumps (I have an 1.5 liter bottle of goldwell at the moment). I've used this conditioner since December 2015 and there's still plenty left.
My hair is BCL length (~37") with some layers.

meteor
April 30th, 2016, 12:36 PM
I use the amount of about ~ 3-5 travel/sample size conditioners (so maybe 150 - 250 ml in total per wash), but it kind of depends on the slip, spreadability and overall quality of the conditioner. With super-cony and great quality conditioners I can use less, if I spread it out well and carefully apply section by section.
But a bottle lasts me a very long time, since most of my washes are scalp-only washes (i.e. when I only use a little bit of diluted shampoo on scalp and the length remains dry).
And if I have to use less conditioner, I can dilute it or use it as a leave-in instead.
(My hair is around mid-thigh (~ 135 cm) now, iii, somewhat wavy and not layered.)

school of fish
April 30th, 2016, 12:54 PM
Just about TBL here - growing out layers/damage but visually very blunt hemline - straight, fine and silky, with a 3-1/4" pony thickness.

I use a marshmallow-sized dollop, daily, from root to tip. I haven't really paid attention to how often I have to replace my bottle of conditioner, but I'd take a guess at maybe every 4-5 weeks perhaps?

I use Pantene Ice Shine and buy multiple bottles anytime I see it on sale, so I always have a stockpile ;)

Sarahlabyrinth
April 30th, 2016, 03:04 PM
I am almost Classic length and use a small palmful on gently squeezed out hair. I have never taken any notice of how long the bottle lasts me but I usually buy 2 bottles at a time.

I wash my hair twice a week. Sometimes one of those washes is a scalp only wash and when it is I don't use conditioner.

Deborah
April 30th, 2016, 03:25 PM
I don't use any. As long as I use a citric acid rinse after washing, my hair untangles easily and is soft, silky and shiny. I guess certain hair types need conditioner and others just don't. Probably it's all down to genetics, because I don't do anything magical. It's just the way my hair is.

KittyBird
April 30th, 2016, 04:09 PM
I have iii bcl hair, and usually get 5-6 goes out of a 250 ml bottle. Maybe two small palmfuls each time? I prefer to apply the conditioner to sopping wet hair, it spreads much easier then and I can use less conditioner than if I had squeezed out some of the water first.

Anje
April 30th, 2016, 04:51 PM
Like a modest palmful, maybe a bit bigger than a walnut, takes care of me if I'm not putting conditioner on my scalp. When I was CO washing, it took more like two palms. My bottles are big, maybe 400-500ml?, so they last quite a long time.

My hair is about 3" around and tapers.

ETA: that's with Suave. I use considerably less with thicker stuff.

dfotw
April 30th, 2016, 04:59 PM
My hair is curly and nearly classic when wet, and I use a generous palmful on sopping wet hair every day. Apply from my ears down, detangle/spread it with my TT, rinse, then add a grape-sized dollop of a fancier condish as a leave-in.
I buy 1L bottles and they last me about a fortnight, I think?

MlleMC
April 30th, 2016, 06:01 PM
I've been using the same bottle since January I think, and I've only used about 40% of it (it's a 310 ml bottle).

sumidha
April 30th, 2016, 11:26 PM
I use about a quarter cup. It depends on the size of the bottle, of course, but they usually last several months. My hair is classic, iii thickness with a ton of taper.

Frankenstein
April 30th, 2016, 11:45 PM
My hair is around BCL and not thick; the amount of conditioner I use depends on how tangled/rough my hair feels after shampooing and also the kind of conditioner. I'd say I typically use about two palms full on average.

Nadine <3
May 1st, 2016, 09:25 AM
I use an obscene amount of conditioner. Maybe 2 palm fulls? First I squeeze out all the water and blob the first handful in. I let that sit and then rinse it and then I add another handful. I use that conditioner to help finger detangle and remove all the sheds.

Nesoi
May 1st, 2016, 09:34 AM
I don't know exactly how long a bottle lasts because I don't pay that much attention, but I can tell you I use a good palmful on dry hair (ears down) before washing, and then a giant heaped palmful, again ears down, after squeezing the water out. I squidge it in really well and leave it while I finish my shower before rinsing quickly.

Stepo_NiNha
May 1st, 2016, 10:08 AM
My 500ml bottle of conditioner lasts for 4 months. My hair only likes conditioner in the very ends, no matter if its cone free or not

Imalath
May 1st, 2016, 04:52 PM
I am brushing hip and I use a pump of conditioner every wash...just bigger than a quarter, really. I don't squeeze the water out of my hair first; keeping it wet helps me work the conditioner all the way up the length without using more. I do let it soak in for a few minutes before rinsing, since i don't use very much. I find I need two bottles of shampoo to every one of conditioner; my favorite gentle shampoo just does not lather up and spread across my scalp the way the harsher stuff does. For detangler/leave in, I use a pea sized dollop every wash. The bottle I have now has lasted over a year, and I still have half of it left!

neko_kawaii
May 1st, 2016, 05:10 PM
A 500ml bottle lasts 2-3 months. I guess walnut size is a good equivalent. I apply to dripping wet hair for better distribution or for application to dry hair I dilute the condish with water in an empty bottle. My hair is 3 inch around and past fingertip length.

LoveSnap
May 1st, 2016, 06:44 PM
My hair is MBL--2" (5cm) from waist. I use a palmful on each of my four sections. It sounds like a lot, but I detangle with the conditioner AND deep condition with it.

I had to convert to find the metric amount of my conditioner bottle. :) It's 739.35ml and lasts 1 month.

endlessly
May 1st, 2016, 07:53 PM
My hair is currently a bit longer than classic, but growing rather rapidly. I wash my hair pretty much daily and have a 500 ml bottle of Veganese from LUSH that I've been using for nearly 5 months that's a little under half full, so it will probably take me between 9-10 months to empty it. I think I use maybe a quarter-sized amount every time? I guess I'm not entirely sure as I tend to just pour a few lines of it across my palm and work with that. When I use deep conditioner, I use a bit more, but that jar is half the size and is only used once per week, so it tends to last around 7 months.

Because the conditioners I use don't provide any "slip" to the hair since they're silicone-free, I do use a few leave-ins afterwards that make detangling a breeze and that's more than likely the reason why I don't feel the need to drench my hair in conditioner every time I wash.

Groovy Granny
May 1st, 2016, 10:10 PM
I do a modified co wash (a squirt of shampoo with diluted Conditioner for the scalp/conditioner on the ends), with a second conditioner application/rinse.

Only half a palmful is used total ...twice a week.

I just bought 33.8oz bottles of the K-Pak, Joico Moisture, and silver conditioners so they should last a year or two.

The Joico Moisture I use almost every wash, and the other 2 are used when I clarify or use my silver shampoo twice a month.

It is astonishing to read the amount of conditioner the curly girls use :agape:

lapushka
May 2nd, 2016, 01:31 AM
I had to convert to find the metric amount of my conditioner bottle. :) It's 739.35ml and lasts 1 month.

Thanks for that! You could have just stated it in ounces, we'd have figured it out (or not :lol:). :D

lapushka
May 2nd, 2016, 01:34 AM
Because the conditioners I use don't provide any "slip" to the hair since they're silicone-free, I do use a few leave-ins afterwards that make detangling a breeze and that's more than likely the reason why I don't feel the need to drench my hair in conditioner every time I wash.

I think you might have "easy" hair (no pun intended). :p I use conditioners with cones, twice, then the LOC method with 2 silicone products (serum & leave-in), my gel is without silicones. And still I need palmfuls of the stuff. :lol:

lapis_lazuli
May 2nd, 2016, 10:33 AM
In short: way more than I'd like.

I use about 3-4 palm fulls on different sections of my hair until I feel most tangles are out. That's why wash day comes once every two weeks :lol: My hair is hovering between classic and FTL.

lapushka
May 2nd, 2016, 10:43 AM
In short: way more than I'd like.

I use about 3-4 palm fulls on different sections of my hair until I feel most tangles are out. That's why wash day comes once every two weeks :lol: My hair is hovering between classic and FTL.

Once every 2W, such a luxury. If my SD wouldn't protest, and my oily hair, then I'd prefer this to weekly washing. Not that I have anything against weekly washing... my point being? :lol: ;)

lapis_lazuli
May 2nd, 2016, 10:49 AM
Once every 2W, such a luxury. If my SD wouldn't protest, and my oily hair, then I'd prefer this to weekly washing. Not that I have anything against weekly washing... my point being? :lol: ;)

Haha, believe me, my hair gets oily too but I'm just very stubborn ;)

lapushka
May 2nd, 2016, 12:02 PM
Haha, believe me, my hair gets oily too but I'm just very stubborn ;)

I tried at one point (well it was a necessity for medical reasons) to go 2Ws, and for a prolonged amount of time even, but my SD flared like no other in the end. Boy that was a major flare-up! Which is why I stick to weekly now and that seems to work fine. Whatever works, right? :)

lillielil
May 2nd, 2016, 12:19 PM
I use about 1 Tbsp conditioner per (daily) wash, sometimes less. The bottle I'm working on right now is 522 mL and has been going strong for a while. I expect to get 2 months of use out of it in total.

Shepherdess
May 2nd, 2016, 02:35 PM
I have a 32 FL OZ bottle of "Alaffia coconut" conditioner that I got a year ago (I think), and it is almost empty now(I haven't used it in a while, so I should get to emptying the rest). I also have a 32 FL OZ "Kiss My Face Whenever" conditioner that I got back in December I think just this last year (if I can remember correctly), and it is about 3/4 full yet. So I really don't go through much conditioner I suppose. I only use conditioner once every week or every two weeks (sometimes less). I use about a palm size amount and lather it throughout the length, with focus on the ends. I have found that I don't have to use as much of the "Kiss My Face Whenever" conditioner as the "Alaffia coconut" conditioner that I used to use, since it spreads more easily throughout my hair, plus it is lighter type of conditioner. My hair has been staying at around mid-thigh when wet, though the ends are a bit on the thinner side. I am not sure exactly how long a bottle of conditioner lasts me, since I am not very consistent in my use of it. I only use conditioner when I think that my hair needs it. :)

Lavendersugar
May 2nd, 2016, 03:18 PM
To be honest I'm not sure. I remove excess water from length then apply a huge glob. Typically will add more to the ends.
I use a few different conditioners so it's hard to know exactly but as a guess, a 12oz bottle probably would last 7-10 days given I wash daily.
BSL++ 4 inches to waist, straight medium texture and thickness, my hair needs lots of moist due to desert climate

Platzhalter
May 3rd, 2016, 04:07 AM
My hair is currently a bit shorter than waist length with FTEs and the amount of conditioner I use tends to be a walnut size drop... maybe even less. The length of my hair gets coated completely with that and using more would seem as if I was wasting the stuff.

tigress86
May 3rd, 2016, 06:18 AM
About 1 tablespoon. If I need to use more, the conditioner is not effective enough for my hair.

lapushka
May 3rd, 2016, 07:01 AM
About 1 tablespoon. If I need to use more, the conditioner is not effective enough for my hair.

If that were true, then I would have to get rid of plenty of conditioners, and I use heavy duty ones already. It just comes with length and the dryness of your hair, I guess. Besides, a whole tablespoon for SL hair is a lot, so I use a pretty moderate amount if you look at it that way - which is why I've asked to put your length with it, of course. :) Anyway. My bad for not looking at your stats, and realizing earlier. Duh!

Atarah
May 3rd, 2016, 09:08 AM
And here I thought maybe I am using too much conditioner. Glad to know that is not so! Right now my 12.5 oz (370 ml) bottle is almost half empty and I've been using it for about two months. However, I only use conditioner once a week, but then condition twice (have a slightly smaller bottle of some better conditioner that helps the ends more). So I'd guess I'll get around 20 washes from the larger bottle; probably more from the smaller one as I use very little of it.

Oh, hair is just about waist. How much I use...? Maybe a tablespoon.

meteor
May 3rd, 2016, 12:03 PM
O-oh :oops: reading this thread makes me realize that I use a *ton* of conditioner... My conditioner use made me think of this: http://tallncurly.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/9tallncurly_livingthecurlylife.jpg

tigress86
May 3rd, 2016, 12:50 PM
If that were true, then I would have to get rid of plenty of conditioners, and I use heavy duty ones already. It just comes with length and the dryness of your hair, I guess. Besides, a whole tablespoon for SL hair is a lot, so I use a pretty moderate amount if you look at it that way - which is why I've asked to put your length with it, of course. :) Anyway. My bad for not looking at your stats, and realizing earlier. Duh!

Well, I would have to get rid of some of my conditioners too based on my first post. I still use them up, but I guess what I really meant to say is that I prefer thicker, heavy duty conditioners. I dont' really like conditioners with a lighter consistency - I could use half a bottle of those and still won't be able to get the feeling I like, the slip and smoothness and being able to run my Tangle Teezer through my hair like a warm knife through butter.

missrandie
May 3rd, 2016, 01:06 PM
I use 2 ounces per cowash. I literally drench my head in conditioner, let it do its thing, then detangle and rinse out. I'm sitting at a little shorter than APL and layered.

I know I use lots! Lol.

Groovy Granny
May 3rd, 2016, 01:46 PM
O-oh :oops: reading this thread makes me realize that I use a *ton* of conditioner... My conditioner use made me think of this: http://tallncurly.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/9tallncurly_livingthecurlylife.jpg
LOL love the cartoon!
Reading some of the other posts....you are not alone in this regard :laugh:
I am grateful I can get away with using so little :p
And now that I have my 33.8oz bottles of K-PAK, Silver, and Joico Moisture each, it feels weird not needing to buy more conditioners for a long while...but it sure is great for my wallet :joy:

nekosan
May 16th, 2016, 09:38 PM
I use about 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon, on the ends only. My hair is around tailbone length, but quite thin and fine; it's easy to overload it on conditioner and have it look greasy.

Lizzie.torp
May 16th, 2016, 09:57 PM
Yikes. I seem to use a ridiculous amount of conditioner. I have almost apl hair, 2b/c/f/ii/iii and I use about 1/2 cup or it has a weird grip to it if that makes sense.

trollkjerring
May 17th, 2016, 12:26 AM
I use about 30 ml of conditioner and my hair is at waist, layered and on the thin side. I like to drench it in conditioner and the slippery feeling I get this way.

RottenMango
May 5th, 2019, 02:14 AM
I use the same amount of shampoo and conditioner per wash: 2 palmfuls, about 2 oz.

Waveurly
May 5th, 2019, 02:57 PM
Saw this thread just now and will say that I actually prefer not to use conditioner but only use an acid rinse after my shampoo, like white vinegar diluted with water. Sometimes I do use conditioner and then I use a little circle in the palm of my hand, but I kind of prefer the detangling and smooth feeling I get from the acid rinse. My hair is not even APL yet though, so this might change as my hair gets longer.