PDA

View Full Version : Travel Hairstyle Help?

DeadlyUnicorn
April 29th, 2016, 06:41 PM
Hi everyone! Haven't been on here lately, but I'm going to Denmark soon from the USA, and I need a little help. I'll be traveling somewhere between 15 and 18 hours or something like that(if everything goes smoothly anyways), including 1 long haul flight.

I was wondering what everyone's favorite travel hairstyles are?

I was thinking about going with some kind of braid, but they always end up loose and and crazy after just a few hours. Do you have any tips on how I might be able to keep the braid together? I don't know if taking small strands in a french braid would help it be tighter.. Or totally covering it in hairspray lol. My hair is at or a little past classic now.

Also have you had any issue with airport security and spin pins? I had heard of them making people get rid of their hair sticks before so definitely not taking any of those in the carry on.. But it made me wonder if pins would be an issue. I could hardly think so but I just want to be sure?

Thanks in advanced! :o :heartbeat

meteor
April 29th, 2016, 07:09 PM
Smart choice on the braid! :thumbsup: Since headrests don't really allow for a big bun to be comfy on a plane, a braid or 2 braids are good. If you do 2 braids, you can pin them up in heidi braids/coronet braids style with plastic claw-clips. But my favorite option is a simple braided bun with a chopstick/wooden stick/fork (e.g. braided LWB, braided cinnabun, whatever works for you :). If the security ask you to take down a bun (which happens sometimes), you still have hair somewhat contained in a braid. Honestly, I'm not in favor of pins, because, assuming they are made of metal, they will set off metal detectors. I'd avoid metal and anything sharp-looking (any hairtoys that could raise questions).

I was thinking about going with some kind of braid, but they always end up loose and and crazy after just a few hours. Do you have any tips on how I might be able to keep the braid together? I don't know if taking small strands in a french braid would help it be tighter.. Or totally covering it in hairspray lol. My hair is at or a little past classic now.

For tighter hold, you could make a so-called "battle braid" (braid made of 3 or more braids braided together) or any braid-into-braid structure. But I find, keeping the braid bunned/pinned up most of the time really keeps it from frizzing up and falling apart.

Happy travel! :cheer:

DeadlyUnicorn
April 29th, 2016, 07:28 PM
Smart choice on the braid! :thumbsup: Since headrests don't really allow for a big bun to be comfy on a plane, a braid or 2 braids are good. If you do 2 braids, you can pin them up in heidi braids/coronet braids style with plastic claw-clips. But my favorite option is a simple braided bun with a chopstick/wooden stick/fork (e.g. braided LWB, braided cinnabun, whatever works for you :). If the security ask you to take down a bun (which happens sometimes), you still have hair somewhat contained in a braid. Honestly, I'm not in favor of pins, because, assuming they are made of metal, they will set off metal detectors. I'd avoid metal and anything sharp-looking (any hairtoys that could raise questions).

For tighter hold, you could make a so-called "battle braid" (braid made of 3 or more braids braided together) or any braid-into-braid structure. But I find, keeping the braid bunned/pinned up most of the time really keeps it from frizzing up and falling apart.

Happy travel! :cheer:

What are heidi braids? Like milkmaid braids? I'm not sure how to do those at this length as the ends seem to go too far past the start of the braid. I don't really know how to tuck them away.. I'm not very good with most hairstyles.. And the coronet braid is usually very heavy on one side as my hair has a lot of taper :( So it never feels very secure.

The battle braid sounds like a really good idea though! I'll have to try it out. :) Thank you so much!

Horrorpops
April 29th, 2016, 07:32 PM
I love braids for longhaul flights, especially twin braids over each ear. Then the hair doesn't rub and frizz so badly on the plane headrest (unlike with a single braid) and I have cute braidwaves when I take them out.

I also like pinning them up into milkmaid style braids if they are getting in the way, it looks cute and keeps it all contained. :o If your ends are 'too long' can you pin them more 'around' your head than over it? If that makes sense? (like this) (https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/efBAEP-rcbRdt9cGHBeR861bOOOCfUBa6J7jZq-SItVKKf_dF1ou5UvqqFn69kPFUVT5mYlQLG9n4oh5euf_rpeTX MiDfTKFt6XYDwe8XpObVhmh3_TMCmsvrQ)

I personally find buns less comfortable when I have to sit with headrests etc so I am all about those braids :D

Sarahlabyrinth
April 29th, 2016, 07:33 PM
I'm interested too, we are flying to France in May and will be flying for 24 hours :( urg. I hate flying, I can never sleep....

DeadlyUnicorn
April 29th, 2016, 07:41 PM
I love braids for longhaul flights, especially twin braids over each ear. Then the hair doesn't rub and frizz so badly on the plane headrest (unlike with a single braid) and I have cute braidwaves when I take them out.

I also like pinning them up into milkmaid style braids if they are getting in the way, it looks cute and keeps it all contained. :o If your ends are 'too long' can you pin them more 'around' your head than over it? If that makes sense? (like this) (https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/efBAEP-rcbRdt9cGHBeR861bOOOCfUBa6J7jZq-SItVKKf_dF1ou5UvqqFn69kPFUVT5mYlQLG9n4oh5euf_rpeTX MiDfTKFt6XYDwe8XpObVhmh3_TMCmsvrQ)

I personally find buns less comfortable when I have to sit with headrests etc so I am all about those braids :D

Yes that looks like how I do it, but the end of say, the right braid, goes past the beginning of the left braid. So there's really nowhere to hide the ends... I haven't been able to figure out a good way to do it :(

Yeah they're not so good. If I'm running late to my Orthodontist appointments I have to do a bun (braiding takes *for* *ever* lol) and they give me a headrest that the bun fits through, which I find kind of funny for some reason. But it's nice they are so accommodating :)

DeadlyUnicorn
April 29th, 2016, 07:47 PM
I'm interested too, we are flying to France in May and will be flying for 24 hours :( urg. I hate flying, I can never sleep....

What style did you do last time? :o
I'm super nervous for my flights as I'm going alone and have never gone through security by myself(used to fly as an unaccompanied minor as a child so someone always went through with me...), had connecting flights, left my country, or dealt with a checked bag by myself. One of my connections I only have 40 minutes from arrival to departure! To get off and onto the next flight in 40 minutes.. Omg. Thankfully it's still in the usa so I don't have to waste time going through customs(I think? Don't you go through that when you enter the new country? :p). Anyways it's stressful as it is, and then my anxiety is really freaking me out 100000000000000000000000 times more. shudder: But it'll be fine :p

meteor
April 29th, 2016, 07:49 PM
Oh yes, Heidi braids are like Milkmaid braids (I think :oops:), the style has a bunch of different names, but with your your length the braids would just keep wrapping in circles -> creating coronet braids. With hair past classic, you can probably just wrap your braid in the Coronet ("Faux Crown Braid") style and secure it with claw-clips - and then take it down later and still keep the braid intact. But I understand about it being unbalanced on some folks - but I think doing 2 rather than 1 coronet braids solves this issue by splitting and spreading the weight around.

Here are some simple braided buns that can be taken down and put back up within seconds on a plane ;) :

- Braided LWB (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DKLqSQWZos),
- French Braid Pinless Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrlkGLzboHE),
- Braided Nautilus (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jHNTQs_lg4),
- Braided Pretzel Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCfMzHYO52I),
- Braided Knot Bun, from 2 braids (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDtu1gW1dvQ),

Starting with a braid (instead of loose hair), but the bunning motions are the same as in the tutorials:
- Braided L-Infinity Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fzn4gNWIVQ),
- Braided Spidermom's Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCvC_MU0To8),
- Braided Knot Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiGTXkUhFKE)
- Braided Celtic Knot Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oTWCYj6ulE)
- etc etc

Sarahlabyrinth
April 29th, 2016, 07:52 PM
Yes, we will be going through customs :(. In the past I have worn an orchid bun with a wooden hair fork and a scrunchie for added decoration and to hide the fork prongs. It has always been fine except once when they made my take my bun down and felt through my hair :rolleyes: then I had to rush to my gate lounge with loose hair and carrying coats, laptop and hair dragging all over everything and thankfully getting there and having the time to go to the Ladies' and put my hair up again. They didn't comment on my hair fork though. They were, I think, suspicious of my large bun.

I have suspiciously large buns :p

humble_knight
April 29th, 2016, 07:53 PM
@Sarah : Just out of curiosity, is your hair in a bun in your passport photo, or worn down?

DeadlyUnicorn
April 29th, 2016, 07:54 PM
Oh yes, Heidi braids are like Milkmaid braids (I think :oops:), the style has a bunch of different names, but with your your length the braids would just keep wrapping in circles -> creating coronet braids. With hair past classic, you can probably just wrap your braid in the Coronet ("Faux Crown Braid") style and secure it with claw-clips - and then take it down later and still keep the braid intact. But I understand about it being unbalanced on some folks - but I think doing 2 rather than 1 coronet braids solves this issue by splitting and spreading the weight around.

Here are some simple braided buns that can be taken down and put back up within seconds on a plane ;) :

- Braided LWB (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DKLqSQWZos),
- French Braid Pinless Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrlkGLzboHE),
- Braided Nautilus (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jHNTQs_lg4),
- Braided Pretzel Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCfMzHYO52I),
- Braided Knot Bun, from 2 braids (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDtu1gW1dvQ),

Starting with a braid (instead of loose hair), but the bunning motions are the same as in the tutorials:
- Braided L-Infinity Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fzn4gNWIVQ),
- Braided Spidermom's Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCvC_MU0To8),
- Braided Knot Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiGTXkUhFKE)
- Braided Celtic Knot Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oTWCYj6ulE)
- etc etc

Thanks so much for all those links! I'll check them out shortly :)

DeadlyUnicorn
April 29th, 2016, 07:56 PM
Yes, we will be going through customs :(. In the past I have worn an orchid bun with a wooden hair fork and a scrunchie for added decoration and to hide the fork prongs. It has always been fine except once when they made my take my bun down and felt through my hair :rolleyes: then I had to rush to my gate lounge with loose hair and carrying coats, laptop and hair dragging all over everything and thankfully getting there and having the time to go to the Ladies' and put my hair up again. They didn't comment on my hair fork though. They were, I think, suspicious of my large bun.

That is just awful! :( Luckily (and maybe unfortunately too....) my buns are quite small :p

@Sarah : Just out of curiosity, is your hair in a bun in your passport photo, or worn down?

Very good question. I'm also curious. Mine is in a bun in my picture.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 29th, 2016, 08:02 PM
It's in a bun in my passport photo. Because I pretty much always have my hair up in a bun.

humble_knight
April 29th, 2016, 08:06 PM
Nice one! I'll need to take a new passport photo soon-ish and thought about slicking my hair back into a ponytail so it at least looks neat. When my passport expires in 10 years, I will probably bun my hair :D

pailin
April 29th, 2016, 08:40 PM
I have long haul flights in my future again, because I get to go home for a visit this year! Braids for me, I think, either twin braids or one side braid. I've never traveled with hair this long before, but I used to do a side ponytail to keep from having a lump between my head and the headrest. My experience has been that the headrests are usually massive tangle generators. So I'm thinking french braids or incorporating lace braids to try to cut down on the knots. I've at least managed not to schedule any wickedly early flights, so I won't have to try to french braid at 3am.

LongCurlyTress
April 29th, 2016, 10:11 PM
meteor.. excellent bun tutorial videos! Thank you for organizing them here!

Saralabyrnth... "large buns" ... rofl ... too funny...

Beezle
April 29th, 2016, 11:21 PM
I think whatever style you settle on, it's worthwhile to take a silk scarf for draping or wrapping around your hair. Those head rests are diabolical. And there are so many covered heads nowadays that you wouldn't feel unusual (though humble_knight I don't think this includes you. Yet! You might still get a second or third security check!) and anyway, a silk scarf is an essential part of any travel - I think. Provides warmth and comfort yet takes up such a small amount of space.

julee
April 30th, 2016, 12:05 AM
When I flew to Europe (24 hour flight) I had my hair in a cinnabun with a ficcare. I've flown with it like that a couple of times now, no problems with customs or anything.

Quixii
April 30th, 2016, 12:13 AM
I haven't done an international flight in a while, but I have flown several times over the last few years with spin pins, hair sticks, a metal hair fork, and my knitting with knitting needles, all without issue. Well, sometimes they squeeze my bun. :p

My favourite travel hair style is currently Elizabethan hair taping. But I often travel with any ol' bun that's on top of my head, or a regular braid I end up redoing a few times for longer travels.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 30th, 2016, 02:19 AM
I might wear a cinnabun with claw clips. And for sleeping (if I can manage it) I can just redo my cinnabun on top of my head so it is out of the way of the headrest. It will look funny but i really don't care....

Mimha
April 30th, 2016, 05:31 AM
Hi DeadlyUnicorn !

I used to be a big traveller (worked for a humanitarian org.) going to "difficult" places of the world. To travel, I always had a pashmina shawl with me or any large and long scarf to cover my head to protect it from the more or less clean headrest (was afraid of catching lice^^) and especially also from the AC in my nape and on my shoulders (to avoid stiff neck). It's very nice also because you can use part of the length to roll it and make it "pillow-like" in the painful areas of your neck or back. And it was also my personal blanket.

To go through the customs, I usually had my hair bunned or braided in a way that could easily be undone and re-done. No one was particularly suspect about my big bun (I had TBL-classic hair) because all women of the countries I was travelling to used to have buns or braids of some sort, and you were checked by ladies only. Once in the waiting room, before embarkment, I usually side-braided my hair (buns were not an option because of headrests).

The only time I wanted a "total protection", I took a long scarf, put it on my head (like a foulard) to cover it entirely, and attached it under my ponytail. Then I braided my hair and rolled the hanging ends of the scarf around my braid all the way down. Not one hair was visible except the tassel of my braid, but if my scarf were long enough, I could as well have covered it too. Of course, you can as well just attach a scarf to your ponytail and just cover your braid, like an external paranda, if I may say ! ^^

I hope this can give you some idea if you look for an ultra protective way. :wink:

Techmouse
April 30th, 2016, 02:34 PM
My personal favourite hairstyle for air travel is twin braids tucked into a snood. The braids are to keep my hair contained while going through security and the snood keeps my braids contained on the plane and when I'm carrying a backpack through however many airports it takes to reach my destination (current record is six airports in 60 hours). I found my snood in the ethnic hair section of my local Walmart. The snood is comfortable and has the added benefit of keeping my wispies under control.

Cg
April 30th, 2016, 03:28 PM
I've had to remove snoods and take down buns so often I just plan for the annoyance and delay. And I have tiny buns that couldn't possibly camouflage anything bigger than a gnat.

I also have found long scarves useful. Silk only, to or from hot climes. Scarves can corral your security-mauled hair until you can fix it.

Deborah
April 30th, 2016, 03:35 PM
If you like the way they look a bun right on top of your head would probably be comfortable. That look seems to be 'in' right now. Maybe a top of the head sock bun or regular cinnamon bun would work, as it could be held in place by tiny plastic claw clips, which would not set off metal detectors. What I think of as a regularly placed bun is not comfortable on a plane, as the headrest pushes it into the back of the head too much. I have tried braids, but they always ends up looking messy and terrible by the end of the flight.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

May 1st, 2016, 07:07 AM
Suspicious buns... huh!

Kat
May 1st, 2016, 10:54 PM
The last time I flew, I had my hair in a single English braid... going through security, they always wanted to check my back after I went through the scanner (so they'd lift my braid and run a hand down my spine). Maybe it doesn't "see" well through hair?? After reading everyone's stories here about having to take down hairdos, I was afraid to put it up in any way (didn't want to have to re-do it, or take time to take it down).

For my long-haul flight, I think you all are right on the Heidi braids idea, putting it in two braids through security and then putting it up after. I also like the hair taping idea... would be much more comfortable than pins are long-term (they start to dig into my head after a while). Will have to practice.

What are heidi braids? Like milkmaid braids? I'm not sure how to do those at this length as the ends seem to go too far past the start of the braid. I don't really know how to tuck them away.. I'm not very good with most hairstyles.. And the coronet braid is usually very heavy on one side as my hair has a lot of taper :( So it never feels very secure.

Do you cross the ends of the braids behind your head before bringing them up and around, rather than just bringing them up from their respective sides? That will take up a bit more length.

I usually just tuck the ends underneath the crossed part in back and pin... if carefully done, it usually works pretty well.

Katlette
May 3rd, 2016, 05:31 AM
The last time I flew, I had my hair in a single English braid... going through security, they always wanted to check my back after I went through the scanner (so they'd lift my braid and run a hand down my spine). Maybe it doesn't "see" well through hair?? After reading everyone's stories here about having to take down hairdos, I was afraid to put it up in any way (didn't want to have to re-do it, or take time to take it down).

I've had the same braid issue at the security scanner. They told me that the scanner doesn't recognise hair past a certain length/thickness, so it flags it up and they have to pat down my back and braid. I've had no hassle with a disc bun (with an acrylic stick), but I don't like it for long haul flights - too difficult to sleep in.

Chromis
May 3rd, 2016, 05:47 AM
My favourite flying style is a false crown braid held with little tiny claw clips. I've found I can use one or two bobby pins, but more than about five sets the detectors off.

Now my hair is at an awkward length for that since it wraps two and a half times ending in the middle of my head I do a braided nautilus or braided Ficcare bun. If I use a Ficcare I just take it down in the security line and put the clip in my bin. I have not needed to take my hairstick out so far, but that would be easy to do. I use a thicker one so it is more blunt, and that never gets a second glance.

I will second taking a pashmina or other shawl. They usually give you a little blanket for long flights, but it is so nice having a second one! I also advise to dress up just a little, no pjs. You don't need to wear a suit, but I find a jersey dress with a soft blazer for example is just as comfy and I am treated better in the lines.

truepeacenik
May 3rd, 2016, 10:29 AM
Braid, worn down for security because my last couple of trips got my bun squeezed, and bun the braid for the flight.

I'm off to see my family next week, and likely will go for a side braid.

butter52
May 3rd, 2016, 11:21 AM
I wear it down to try to sleep in the cabin, and in a quick bun with a scrunchie ir claw clip to run around thd airport.

mindwiped
May 4th, 2016, 08:08 AM

Sarah, I'm so sorry, but your talk of big buns keeps putting this, slightly modified in my brain

"I like big BUNS and I can not lie
You other LONG HAIR GIRLS can't deny
That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty FACE
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung, want to pull up tough
'Cause you notice that BUN was stuffed
Deep in the jeans she's wearing
I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
Oh baby, I want to get wit'cha
And take your picture
My LONG HAIRED'S tried to warn me
But with that BUN you got makes (me so JEALOUS)"

Sarahlabyrinth
May 4th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Sarah, I'm so sorry, but your talk of big buns keeps putting this, slightly modified in my brain

"I like big BUNS and I can not lie
You other LONG HAIR GIRLS can't deny
That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty FACE
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung, want to pull up tough
'Cause you notice that BUN was stuffed
Deep in the jeans she's wearing
I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
Oh baby, I want to get wit'cha
And take your picture
My LONG HAIRED'S tried to warn me
But with that BUN you got makes (me so JEALOUS)"

Haha, LOVE it!!! ROFLOL!

amino
May 4th, 2016, 10:29 AM
What style did you do last time? :o
I'm super nervous for my flights as I'm going alone and have never gone through security by myself(used to fly as an unaccompanied minor as a child so someone always went through with me...), had connecting flights, left my country, or dealt with a checked bag by myself. One of my connections I only have 40 minutes from arrival to departure! To get off and onto the next flight in 40 minutes.. Omg. Thankfully it's still in the usa so I don't have to waste time going through customs(I think? Don't you go through that when you enter the new country? :p). Anyways it's stressful as it is, and then my anxiety is really freaking me out 100000000000000000000000 times more. shudder: But it'll be fine :p

Don't worry. Whenever I get stressed I remember that people who don't speak the language get through airports just fine (i.e. refugees or immigrants). The entire system is made so that anyone can get through as long as they're following the rules.

I usually braid my hair and wear a cheap wooden hair fork with a nautilus or lazy wrap bun on that braid. That way I can take the fork out and store it when I want to sleep, but it's still comfy for running around the airport because I can put it up in 30 seconds. Never had an issue with taking down a bun, but I don't wear metal hair toys when I'm traveling and I'm still at the stage where I can travel with a braid only without it being an issue.

AmberJewel
May 4th, 2016, 08:47 PM
Has anybody recommended interlaced braids? There's a tutorial of it somewhere in the monthly hairstyles section. It's supposed to be pretty secure, it looks comfy, and no suspicious-looking hairtoys. Also, when I'm travelling, I like wearing the faux crown braid. You know, the one where you make two braids at your nape and wrap them both around your head. If you have any experience with hair-taping it holds like a rock and you can just forget about it for most of the trip. Of course, a quick stop in the bathroom is always a good idea just to make sure everything's holding together properly. :) :eye: Good luck on your trip.

lithostoic
May 4th, 2016, 09:46 PM
I'm a huge fan of double braids. You could always turn them into buns with some pins, and they're very easy to put back into buns if you have to take the pins out for security. Plus once you're on the plane it's nice to take them down and sit back.

littlestarface
May 4th, 2016, 10:04 PM
I travelled to russia with a single braid and england with a bun under my scarf omg 2 biggest mistakes of my life. I had mad tangles and matted hair both times, it took me 2 days to get them out. I would go with double braids if I were to travel again.