PDA

View Full Version : Funeral hairstyle

PixieP
April 29th, 2016, 03:32 PM
I'm going to a funeral on Tuesday (I'm not personally grieved, it's a distant family members, so condolances not necessary :) ) and I need some help on what to do with my hair.

My hair is roughly hip now and today it got bleached into a brilliant bright copper, so it's VERY noticeable right now :P And very noticeable isn't cool for a funeral. So I don't wanna wear it loose, I wanna get it contained somehow. But I don't wanna wear hairsticks (too special), I'm not very good at braiding, and I have never been able to do something that even resembles a french twist. Sooo.... Any ideas?

Hypnotica
April 29th, 2016, 03:44 PM
I wore a flipped cinnabun to the latest funeral I went to, secured with a hair fork.

PixieP
April 29th, 2016, 03:50 PM
I wore a flipped cinnabun to the latest funeral I went to, secured with a hair fork.

That sounds lovely :) But like I said I don't wanna wear sticks (I only have sticks), too special, someone in my family will react to it.

Nini
April 29th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Unless your hairsticks are outrageously inapropriate for a funeral I don't see why a bun with hairsticks wouldn't work.

I'm only a regular blonde, but I've worn a single braid, sticks or a fork and Ficcare Max'es. Not that I've been to that many funerals, but there has been a few in the family of course, and I've also played at a few and then there's a few you just have to attend for one reason or another. I don't really see why wearing it down would be a problem either. It's just hair after all.

Or maybe it's just that the traditions are a bit looser in my area, I don't know?!?

PixieP
April 29th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Unless your hairsticks are outrageously inapropriate for a funeral I don't see why a bun with hairsticks wouldn't work.

I'm only a regular blonde, but I've worn a single braid, sticks or a fork and Ficcare Max'es. Not that I've been to that many funerals, but there has been a few in the family of course, and I've also played at a few and then there's a few you just have to attend for one reason or another. I don't really see why wearing it down would be a problem either. It's just hair after all.

Or maybe it's just that the traditions are a bit looser in my area, I don't know?!?

No it's just my family that is VERY weird :P It's ok for my cousin to show up in a funeral in skater sneakers and a washed out baggy sweatpants, but if I wear mascara and have my hair loose, I'm disrespectful. I can't be bothered to fight it.

lillielil
April 29th, 2016, 04:17 PM
You said your braiding skills aren't great, but can you do a basic braid? If so, you can fake a French braid by braiding a half-up and then incorporating the rest of your hair at the nape of your neck. That's a conservative style that would contain your hair and not require use of any sticks/forks. This style has a name but I can't think of it!

lillielil
April 29th, 2016, 04:31 PM
Alternately: any bun secured with non-visible accessories like hair pins or spin pins.

Hypnotica
April 29th, 2016, 04:53 PM
That sounds lovely :) But like I said I don't wanna wear sticks (I only have sticks), too special, someone in my family will react to it.

You can do it with pins too.

But I have to say - it sounds like your family will remark whatever you choose to wear.

ddiniz
April 29th, 2016, 05:04 PM
If your concern is related to color I think a good alternative would be to use a veil (and your hair in a simple bun under it). I do not know which religious rites will be made at the funeral but for a Roman Catholic can be used a simple and small veil/mantilla/tulle.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 29th, 2016, 05:06 PM
I think you are old enough to wear your hair however you like. A simple bun held with spin pins should be unobtrusive enough for anyone. Good luck!

PixieP
April 29th, 2016, 05:33 PM
You said your braiding skills aren't great, but can you do a basic braid? If so, you can fake a French braid by braiding a half-up and then incorporating the rest of your hair at the nape of your neck. That's a conservative style that would contain your hair and not require use of any sticks/forks. This style has a name but I can't think of it!

Thanks, that is a great idea! I'll try that out :D

You can do it with pins too.

But I have to say - it sounds like your family will remark whatever you choose to wear.

Lol no kidding, they will. But the less stuff they have to remark on, the easier time for me. I've never quite mastered the cinnabun, but I'll keep on practising!

If your concern is related to color I think a good alternative would be to use a veil (and your hair in a simple bun under it). I do not know which religious rites will be made at the funeral but for a Roman Catholic can be used a simple and small veil/mantilla/tulle.

That would be very over the top here, and it's a protestant service anyhow :) But I appreciate the thought!

I think you are old enough to wear your hair however you like. A simple bun held with spin pins should be unobtrusive enough for anyone. Good luck!

I only know if Arctic's fan bun to be held with spin pins, which other buns are good?

Sarahlabyrinth
April 29th, 2016, 05:44 PM
A Nautilus is quite simple and always looks good.

Llama
April 29th, 2016, 06:31 PM
Deleted (deleted)

sumidha
April 29th, 2016, 06:45 PM
In my opinion, just about any updo would be appropriate, as would a simple three strand braid, no need to go elaborate.

yogagirl
April 29th, 2016, 07:44 PM
I would definitely go with spin pins. Either cinnabun or LWB, either the standard way or braided. Both these buns are really unobtrusive IMO, esp since buns are so popular right now and many people wear them.

Also, I can sympathize with this issue. I too have to go with a simple bun held by spin pins whenever my sister in law is around, because she thrives on making snippy remarks to me and my husband, then pretending she didn't mean anything by it, and then finally attacking us even further and throwing tantrums when we don't accept her bs -- she's 36 btw :crazyq: Best to just avoid her as much as possible and if not possible, give her as little ammunition as we can.

truepeacenik
April 29th, 2016, 09:40 PM
Do you have colored pencils? They would do for a bun without looking "blingy."

Arctic
April 30th, 2016, 01:45 AM
Simple bun with a black velvet ribbon (maybe about a cm wide) as a headband, or tied around the bun. I feel it would tone down your hair colour and looks stylish and suitable for funerals (you could add few bobby pins in the nape area to help keep the ribbon headband in place.

I like making my buns with invisible securing methods, and almost all buns I can make with my hair can be done with bobby pins, U-pins and/or spin pins (chinese bun probably will always need a stick, but I have made for example a disc bun with U-pins only). My hair is much shorter than yours, though, so I don't know how those same buns would work for you, and I can yet make many bun popular at LHC yet with my own hair. I think bobby pins might not be so great at your length when it comes to keeping your hair up (other than holding a thin strands of hair in place), but if you do try bobby pins, maybe those extra large ones would be better. I almost always reach for my extra large ones when I use them on securing a bun, they hold much better than the normal size.

PixieP
May 3rd, 2016, 12:07 PM
I really appreicate all your suggestions! However I ended up being short on time (took too long on my makeup...), ended up panicking and threw my hair into a sock bun, although my hair donut is too small for my hair now :P But it worked and I didn't get any negative comments, so it's a success!

KellieKay
May 3rd, 2016, 05:16 PM
I always fall back on a french twist.

augustana
May 4th, 2016, 03:16 PM
A bun or high ponytail would be appropriate imo. Hair down would seem almost too "messy" in this context. But it's only my personal opinion, and if you keep your hair neat it should be fine!

PixieP
May 4th, 2016, 05:06 PM
I always fall back on a french twist.

I probably would too... if I could do them! I think my hair is too thin.

A bun or high ponytail would be appropriate imo. Hair down would seem almost too "messy" in this context. But it's only my personal opinion, and if you keep your hair neat it should be fine!

Funerals here in general are a lot more casual than in the statues (going by what I've seen in movies/TV-shows since that is where most of my knowledge comes from :P). So loose hair is not unnatural at all, and normally I would just wear it loose. But I just bleached it down to a bright copper and it's VERY bright in some lights, so I wanted to tone it down. But otherwise there was almost more loose hair than anything else by the ladies attending. And my great-uncles son has shoulder long hair that was loose too. But I know no-one has as long hair as me, and with the very bright colour, one thing needed to go, and the easiest was to hide the length.