PDA

View Full Version : Does being sick slow down hair growth

CreatureBailey
April 29th, 2016, 03:12 PM
So I'm catching a cold and I'm wondering if my hair won't grow as fast.

I know it's weird I'm sorry xDD

But while at it with talking about hair growth, better have all the questions possible. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
April 29th, 2016, 03:20 PM
I would think that illness could slow down hair growth or even cause a stall. It can induce shedding too, if it is a serious illness. But a cold? I don't know that a cold would make a lot of difference. Maybe if you had it for weeks...

HeartofHaleth
April 29th, 2016, 03:27 PM
I've had a cold for the past week and half or so, but I have no idea if it's impacted my growth. But hey, welcome to the club...I guess...? *tentative cheer* I mean, not that being sick is usually something to celebrate...I think I'll just go back to bed now...:p:sleep:

PixieP
April 29th, 2016, 03:29 PM
I have like half a dozen chronic illnesses, and my hair still grows at a normal rate (roughly 1cm a month).

lapushka
April 29th, 2016, 04:11 PM
I have like half a dozen chronic illnesses, and my hair still grows at a normal rate (roughly 1cm a month).

I have CRPS, and so am a chronic pain patient, and I have Menières and on top of that migraines. I grow 1/2 inch a month. As long as you don't let your diet suffer, IMMHO. And eating well when sick is doubly as important!

Horrorpops
April 29th, 2016, 07:39 PM
I think sudden acute illness can slow hair growth temporarily in some people, but just getting a cold probably won't affect it haha :o You'll be good!

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Llama
April 29th, 2016, 08:11 PM
I thought I heard somewhere that hair grows faster when you have a fever..but I'm not sure if there is evidence for that either way lol
Hope you get over your cold quickly :)

Hairkay
April 30th, 2016, 02:17 AM
I think it is possible for some illnesses. There was a time I got a bad flu and after that one of my finger nails grew in with a dent. I don't get flu every year so that was unusual for me. I think my hair may have stalled then too.

TatsuOni
April 30th, 2016, 05:04 AM
My hair growth has never been affected by me being sick. But I think that if you're sick for a longer time and eat too little (most people aren't hungry when they're sick) it could slow down the growth a bit. Of course I'm only thinking about a little fever or such, nothing serious.

Arctic
April 30th, 2016, 05:34 AM
Even if having flu would slow down the growth, it would be very temporary, and probably not something you notice in your yearly growth. Get well soon!