PDA

View Full Version : Oils?

M.McDonough
April 29th, 2016, 10:00 AM
I was wondering, what kinds of oils can be used to tame the frizz? What do you recommend?

Horrorpops
April 29th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Not sure I'm the best person to respond because I don't get an awful lot of frizz but a BBB brushing or tiny tiny bit of coconut oil is usually enough for my hair. :)

PurpleKitty11
April 29th, 2016, 10:44 AM
i find any of the lighter oils such as jojoba, rosehip and argan work great as leave-ins to tame frizz :)

meteor
April 29th, 2016, 11:22 AM
I think any oil can do the job of taming the frizz. :) Personally, I prefer light silicone serums or really light, runny, easy to spread oils without a noticeable smell for this: e.g. mineral oil or grapeseed oil, etc.
You can make your own custom blends depending on smells you prefer, etc.

LOC (liquid/leave-in + oil + cream) is a great post-wash technique for taming frizz. :)

lapushka
April 29th, 2016, 11:52 AM
I prefer gels, or try and get an edge paste (you put a tiny bit on, and use a toothbrush to distribute it and lay those edges flat). Oils are not that great for edge control.

M.McDonough
April 29th, 2016, 12:07 PM
i find any of the lighter oils such as jojoba, rosehip and argan work great as leave-ins to tame frizz :)

How do you apply oil to your hair? Do you start at the roots, do you massage your scalp?

Anje
April 29th, 2016, 12:16 PM
I think it depends a lot on your hairtype. People with straightish hair like much lighter oils left in, it seems. Jojoba, sunflower, camellia, baby oil, things like that. People with curls often like heavier oils that are more prone to causing clumping -- olive comes to mind, and they often like to add gel to the mix. I see people with all textures using coconut oil -- it's a particularly hit-or-miss oil and I tend to think it's lighter, but it's notable for having been scientifically demonstrated to absorb into hair and prevent protein loss, so it's one that people frequently try early on and stick to if they like it.

How do you apply oil to your hair? Do you start at the roots, do you massage your scalp?

Not generally for frizz control, since you're not out to make your roots oily. I tend to smooth a few drops over my damp hair, after I take it out of the towel. Usually I'll concentrate on getting some at the ends.

That isn't to say that you can't do scalp massage with oils. Some people find it causes shedding, others find it encourages faster growth. Some feel like it helps get their dry form of sebum dissolved so it washes off better. But that's a different goal than frizz control.

-Fern
April 29th, 2016, 08:10 PM
I like to use aloe gel, actually. I just dampen the hair, apply aloe gel, and use a BBB to smooth it out. The aloe gel does not make hair crunchy, and does not really "hold" the hair in place, but it seems to give it just enough hydration and stickyness to keep hairs happy next to their neighbors.

sarahthegemini
April 30th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Personally I don't think oils are great for frizz control. A leave-in conditioner works wonders for me.

Jessiejeb
April 30th, 2016, 02:24 PM
I Agree with Sarah, oils only coat and no benefit after minutes. I do regular condition and a Deep one eac h week and was most happy with Scientific Essentials Conditioner. My derm told me to use that one as its silicone and oil free and literally made ends of hair manageable and no frizz in any weather. A bit costly but worth it for me.

I also use a spray and will get the name of that as well- forget brand

M.McDonough
April 30th, 2016, 04:30 PM
I like to use aloe gel, actually. I just dampen the hair, apply aloe gel, and use a BBB to smooth it out. The aloe gel does not make hair crunchy, and does not really "hold" the hair in place, but it seems to give it just enough hydration and stickyness to keep hairs happy next to their neighbors.

I'm not familiar with the acronym ''BBB''.

Obsidian
April 30th, 2016, 04:37 PM
BBB= boar bristle brush

M.McDonough
May 4th, 2016, 04:33 PM
About two weeks ago, I applied some avocado oil to my hair and gave myself a scalp massage for 5 minutes. Thirty minutes later, I washed it out and my hair was incredibly soft. But if that might cause shedding, maybe I shouldn't do, or maybe I can still do it and stay away from the roots....

Ophidian
May 4th, 2016, 09:32 PM
I do a scalp massage every evening with essential oils (Rosemary, lavender, and cedarwood) in a castor oil base, and follow with a BBB. I only use the tiniest bit of oil but I find that it really helps my scalp stay happy between washes and I like to think it helps with growth. Not sure if it does or not but it can't hurt :). I have not noticed an increase in shedding at all, but people's results certainly vary. On the rest of my hair I prefer coconut, especially the unrefined stuff for some reason. Olive oil feels nice too in small amounts but it leans toward the heavy side for me and it doesn't smell as nice as coconut :).

pahbee
May 5th, 2016, 01:38 AM
I have thin and fine hair so putting on oil on my hair after washing doesn't work no matter which oil it is. Too less, and the frizz remains. Any more than that, and my hair starts visibly looking weighed down. Can't help you there.

But oil pre-poos are the bomb! I like to use coconut oil mostly, since it penetrates the hair shaft. Occasionally I do a mustard oil + sweet almond oil mix, but less often.

A lot of other things help frizz too, like not touching my hair while it's air-drying. I rinse it with cold-lukewarm water upon leaving the shower. And I use a "hydrating" shampoo and "nourishing/moisturizing" conditioner. The right products makes a lot of difference.

restless
May 5th, 2016, 03:08 AM
Since my hair is rather thin and fine applying oil in wet, freshly washed hair is a a real hit-or-miss, so I seldom do that. What works for me in my neverending battle against frizz is one single drop of oil in my palms. I then run my hands through my (dry) hair and get pretty good results. Any oil works, really, but my favorite one for this mission is argan oil since its light and doesnt smell very strong.

augustana
May 5th, 2016, 04:18 AM
I like coconut oil on the tips.

Daydreamer.
May 5th, 2016, 04:38 AM
Olive oil is pretty good for frizz. It makes my frizz-prone hair more smoother. Oh, be sure to use a little at a time. It can get heavy fast.

Hairkay
May 5th, 2016, 05:47 AM
Oils work well for me to keep the ends of my hair from drying out and provide some slip with detangling. If I get a flaky scalp I'll use olive oil on it. Mostly my scalp does not need oil. Yes I do know oil makes lint easier to stick to hair but since I can't use manufactured hair products this is the best alternative.