PDA

View Full Version : Great positive article featuring "older" women with long hair!

andrea1982
April 28th, 2016, 10:13 AM
I enjoyed this and thought I'd share. I wonder if any of the featured women are members here..please let us know!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3051179/Meet-real-life-RAPUNZELS-cope-hair-long-sit-it.html

Theobroma
April 28th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Gah, they're all gorgeous, but Melanie Brown's is in a class by itself. Now I want to grow to knee after all... :D

LongCurlyTress
April 28th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Thank you so much Andrea 1982 for sharing this article/video. Gorgeous women with all that hair!! Love it!! :) Super motivating!!

I am binge watching all... lol... I am 58 and growing strong. Just officially reached TBL and hope to reach classic by the end (lol...literally!! lol) of 2017, pending any trims. My hair is @36inches now and classic is @ 42 inches... What are your growing goals?

AmyBeth
April 28th, 2016, 11:05 AM
That was a fun article, and the women were all beautiful. What I really found interesting and inspiring was the common thread of benign neglect! They wash it , let it dry and leave it alone, and it looks gorgeous! Who knew?

lapushka
April 28th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Oh yes, that one. It was posted here once before. I believe many complaints were made about the comment section. ;)

LongCurlyTress
April 28th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Oh yes, that one. It was posted here once before. I believe many complaints were made about the comment section. ;)

Whenever I read negative comments about "older women" with long hair... I just ignore it or use those negative words as motivation to continue growing on... Those women in the article are each so gorgeous and their hair is gorgeous. I think any negative comments are just pure jealousy on the commenter's part. All I know is that I get so much more flattering attention from men and nasty aloof looks from women...with my hair long now....That is jealousy on the women's part... Anytime women are snarky about other women... I just read that as pure jealousy... :p

Groovy Granny
April 28th, 2016, 11:18 AM
The comments are something else :p

'Older' is relative....there was only one aged 60 :wink:

Happy to see it catching on; wish it was more in vogue here!

Stepo_NiNha
April 28th, 2016, 11:37 AM
I love long hair, no matter how old a woman is!

I love this women hair, they are gorgeous and they don't look older with long hair. Where I live there is a myth that long hair makes you older and this pic prooves it is just not true! This gives me a good reason not to cut my hair until the end of my lifeee

I'm 27 and I'll have long hair until 90 ;)

Shepherdess
April 28th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Wow! Such beautiful hair! I love to see women continue to keep their hair long like that!! What a lovely article, thank you for sharing it! :)

andrea1982
April 28th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Thank you so much Andrea 1982 for sharing this article/video. Gorgeous women with all that hair!! Love it!! :) Super motivating!!

I am binge watching all... lol... I am 58 and growing strong. Just officially reached TBL and hope to reach classic by the end (lol...literally!! lol) of 2017, pending any trims. My hair is @36inches now and classic is @ 42 inches... What are your growing goals?

Glad you enjoyed it too! My goal is somewhere between classic and knee, depending on how much taper I end up with at that point. I'm just past waist now, and planning to maintain at tailbone for a good long while to get rid of my layers. :)

That was a fun article, and the women were all beautiful. What I really found interesting and inspiring was the common thread of benign neglect! They wash it , let it dry and leave it alone, and it looks gorgeous! Who knew?

I noticed this too! Most of them said they find it easy to keep their hair this way.

I didn't read many of the comments. I find any time there is a mainstream news article about someone who is living in an "unconventional" way, there is a lot of back-lash, no matter what it is. I think on some level it threatens people when others deviate from "social norms".

The comments are something else :p

'Older' is relative....there was only one aged 60 :wink:

Happy to see it catching on; wish it was more in vogue here!

I know, lol. That's why I put older in quotations. I don't really think any of them are "old", it's just they are "older" than what our culture seems to generally accept people wearing very long hair (as evidenced by some of the comments!) I see this article as a positive sign that those ridiculous beliefs are maybe starting to lose hold :).

Groovy Granny
April 28th, 2016, 01:17 PM
I know, lol. That's why I put older in quotations. I don't really think any of them are "old", it's just they are "older" than what our culture seems to generally accept people wearing very long hair (as evidenced by some of the comments!) I see this article as a positive sign that those ridiculous beliefs are maybe starting to lose hold :).
LOL I know :wink:

I am 'older' than they are....and I LOOK it too :p

I do hope older women come to embrace their NATURAL beauty....vs what society and hair salons/products dictate!

AmyBeth
April 28th, 2016, 01:17 PM
I went back and read some of the comments and almost fell out of my chair laughing at the absurdity of the ignorance and gratuitous cruelty of some of them. Whatever they may think of long hair, some of the comments speak more about the commentator than long hair! Thanks for the laughs!

Pat Wright
April 28th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Wow! Thanks for sharing! Awesome women. http://www.4smileys.com/smileys/sign-smileys/thanks.gif (http://www.4smileys.com)

TatsuOni
April 29th, 2016, 02:08 AM
Beautiful hair:) But, four hours to air dry? Four hours!? My hair takes six hour to air dry and I have to comb through it with my fingers to make that happen. It's taken six hour since somewhere around apl.

Yeah but really awesome hair!:o My plan is to live and die with long hair:)

lapushka
April 29th, 2016, 05:57 AM
Beautiful hair:) But, four hours to air dry? Four hours!? My hair takes six hour to air dry and I have to comb through it with my fingers to make that happen. It's taken six hour since somewhere around apl.

Mine takes 8 hours and by then it's dampish/dry. Dry enough. I think all the moisturizing I do doesn't help it, because it prolongs the drying process.

andrea1982
April 29th, 2016, 07:41 AM

Mine takes 8 hours and by then it's dampish/dry. Dry enough. I think all the moisturizing I do doesn't help it, because it prolongs the drying process.

It's funny how everyone is so different- My hair takes about 3 hours to dry if it is down, if it is up or braided though it won't dry all day.

chen bao jun
April 29th, 2016, 08:10 AM
They are so beautiful.

This was shared on here before, but thanks for sharing again.

I skipped reading the comments last time and I will skip again. It doesn't matter what people who are either ignorant or else have very different tastes have to say. You will never please everyone with any hairstyle. They think their hair is beautiful and want to keep it, there are others out there (like me), who think its beautiful too even though its not the current norm, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

My hair takes about a day to dry though its not super long. I thinks a combination of thick/dense, having to use a leave in as a curly and also having to braid to avoid tangling. I let my hair this last time without putting it in two braids first because I needed it to dry faster and I swear, the time I saved in drying, I made up for in the horrifically long and PAINFUL detangling session (even though I had detangled immediately afterwards) and I am still battling single strand knots--although I had my hair flat ironed after it was dry.

It took about 5 hours to dry, I would guess (I wasn't timing it) loose and without leave in conditioner in it (I skipped the leave in because I was going to flat iron and didn't think it would be good to fry silicone into my hair). It's bottom bra strap/midback when straightened and varies between shoulder and apl when curly. While wet it shrinks up to my ears though! (my hair is shorter when wet). I was detangling over 2 hours! (I did time that). Normally it takes ten minutes or less.

And I'm 59 by the way. Never get anything but positive comments from people about having 'long hair' as a older woman when its straightened. (Which is the only time that you can see its long.) Of course it's not LHC long, but around here once you move past APL/top bra strap, you are a longhair, at any age and waist is considered extraordinarily long. I have a waist length friend and people call her Rapunzel.

I wonder if that will change (the getting only positive comments) when my hair reaches waist as a 60 year old (should happen next year. I will definitely be 60 in 2017 and my hair is only 5 inches away from waist now). Of course in my case, I can go around in disguise as APL when I wear my hair curly lol...

lapushka
April 29th, 2016, 08:51 AM
It's funny how everyone is so different- My hair takes about 3 hours to dry if it is down, if it is up or braided though it won't dry all day.

I condition twice, then on top of that use a serum, gel and leave-in. So that might have something to do with the drying process being quite a bit longer. Still, when I wasn't on WCC & LOC, it still wouldn't dry overnight, and that is roughly 8 hours.

I airdry for 3H before going through with a diffuser (only takes 4 min. then) and by that time it's about 40% dry. Just about. Good enough for a quick blow dry with warm.

MlleMC
April 29th, 2016, 09:23 AM
I condition twice, then on top of that use a serum, gel and leave-in. So that might have something to do with the drying process being quite a bit longer. Still, when I wasn't on WCC & LOC, it still wouldn't dry overnight, and that is roughly 8 hours.

I airdry for 3H before going through with a diffuser (only takes 4 min. then) and by that time it's about 40% dry. Just about. Good enough for a quick blow dry with warm.

I don't use any leave-in, but my hair still takes as long to dry (actually, it takes 12 hours to be fully dry, though after 8 hours it's only the scalp that is still damp).

Cg
April 29th, 2016, 10:14 AM
My hair is gray unlike those tresses, making it easy to tell from a distance I'm old.

So? Whether someone likes or thinks I look older with long hair could not interest me less. My hair is not for other people's pleasure, it's for mine. And the longer it gets, the greater pleasure it gives.

TatsuOni
April 29th, 2016, 10:36 AM
It where quite entertaning to read some of thoose comments. Some of them said that long haird women are crazy and one woman had told her son never to date a long hair for that reason. They should come here, not only are we many crazy long haired women, we also got crazy long haired men:guns: Sooo, are you feeling crazy today?:pins:

pili
April 29th, 2016, 12:19 PM
I made the mistake of reading some of the comments. I had to comfort myself with imagining all the negative posters as bald. Those women have gorgeous hair and Melanie made me want to move my goal from tailbone to knee....at 60. I could make it in 19 years, right?

Cg
April 29th, 2016, 12:21 PM
I made the mistake of reading some of the comments. I had to comfort myself with imagining all the negative posters as bald. Those women have gorgeous hair and Melanie made me want to move my goal from tailbone to knee....at 60. I could make it in 19 years, right?

Why not? Go for it!

Groovy Granny
April 29th, 2016, 12:24 PM

:agree: :thumbsup:

Kake
April 29th, 2016, 02:54 PM
They all look great, but I thought they were too glossy and glam. I didn't feel an affinity with any of them, in the same way I don't feel an affinity with other media filtered images. I mean it's good to see older women with long hair in the media, and it was interesting to read what they had to say, but I'm still a bit meh about it.

Groovy Granny
April 29th, 2016, 03:55 PM
Seeing they all wore borrowed shoes (saw the stickers on the bottom :p ) and most likely the dresses as well (seemed all alike)...their hair must have also been 'staged'; the locks were too perfect IMHO :shrug:

Garnetgem
April 29th, 2016, 04:46 PM
My hair is gray unlike those tresses, making it easy to tell from a distance I'm old.

So? Whether someone likes or thinks I look older with long hair could not interest me less. My hair is not for other people's pleasure, it's for mine. And the longer it gets, the greater pleasure it gives.

Like your attitude if it makes you happy then who cares about what others think its your hair and your life...i get the "your too old for long hair" off others at age 44 with tail bone length...but its for me and makes me happy like you the longer it gets the happier i am but the more unhappy it makes those who comment...who cares its our happiness that counts! :)

cowgirllong
April 29th, 2016, 06:47 PM
I noticed that in the article, one of the women said she was not very girly and her long hair makes her feel feminine. So I would say they probably were dolled up by a stylist for the photo shoot.

It is nice that there are positive articles out there about having long hair. We all know what most of the articles out there are like. I'd like to see more women out there embrace their natural beauty and realize they are still beautiful as they age.

nakima
April 29th, 2016, 09:28 PM
I shared this story before about when I was 5 years old the lady who lived behind us had a long thick gray braid that she always wore and I couldn't wait until I was old so I could have a long gray braid like that. This woman is long gone now but I am still inspired by the memory of her hair. I am now working on my long gray braid the length is there and I am trying not color lol my hair has a lot of white in it :) anyway very cool site! thanks for shareing...

alimc
April 30th, 2016, 04:06 AM
I love the fact that women can be strong and individual and not feel the need to cave to what society expects :)
Do the people making mean comments think their opinion actually matters? Maybe they should worry more about their negative outlook on anything which is deemed 'different'.
Be individual, let the haters hate. Awesome article!