PDA

View Full Version : Is thinning through the lengths inevitable?

emmadilemma
April 27th, 2016, 11:50 PM
I understand that it partially is inevitable because people lose hair everyday and breakage can and will always happen but is there anything I can do to really go hard against thinning in the lengths? I try to keep hairstyles simple and loose, i don't brush my hair when its wet, I only actually brush my hair maybe once a week or two with a tangle teezer which I just got a couple weeks ago and love. I don't over wash, I even use a silk pillowcase although I don't know if that has any effect. I just feel like the more I grow it out the thinner the lengths get and the more my hair becomes like that of a mullet xD Does anyone have any tactics they take against thinning in the lengths? Should I just get it cut and be as annoyingly gentle as I possibly can be? I'd hate to cut it short...

lapushka
April 28th, 2016, 05:57 AM
You can't help tapering and fairytaling - it happens, with one person more than the other. It's part mechanical wear & tear, part genetics, IMO. If you are already treating your hair as nice as possible... then yes, it's as good as it gets. Maybe letting the thickness "catch up" with microtrimming is an idea, and sometimes that even works, if there was thinning there due to heavier sheds or other such reasons.

Cg
April 28th, 2016, 10:04 AM
If ragged ends bother you, you don't necessarily have to go short, just shorter -- to the length of the majority of your hairs. Then microtrim to keep the ends looking thick.

AmyBeth
April 28th, 2016, 11:14 AM
If your hair is at 27 inches and fine in texture, then I suspect that you are kind of at the beginning of a serious attempt at going more length? If so, and your hair care habits weren't always the most gentle and caring, I would think it's highly likely that your ends will thicken up with time and patience. Start being as gentle as you can, definitely micro trim on a regular basis and don't give up and cut it off. Give it at least a year before you decide. And I think a satin pillowcase will help, especially if you braid or bun at night. You will save yourself 8 hours of friction and damage, 365 nights a year!

Wusel
April 28th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Trimming helps. When I was WL with regular trimming (every 3 months or so) my hair was almost the same thick on the ends as in the roots. Now that I grow out fast without any trims it tapers. OMHO only trimming helps.

Anje
April 28th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Unless you have dreadlocks, it is to some extent, just based on the whole shed-and-regrow cycle alone. But by how much can vary so drastically from person to person that it's hard to say. Chances are that your ponytail will be thinner when gathered at BSL than it will be at the nape of your neck, but that doesn't mean it'll necessarily be see-through. Also, just because it might start out see-through doesn't mean it will stay that way a couple months or a year later.

yahirwaO.o
April 28th, 2016, 06:32 PM
They are some hair types that have this awful tendency (mine for example). I envy those people who can just let their hair grow and have fairly thick ends or very little taper.

I've keeping the same my shorter chopped length in my hair for about a year (see my avatar pic and my album progress if u wish), yes a lot of the thickness has catch up and does look ten times better than when I was scraggly WL. I want to have a solid MBL this year with very thick ends, still my ends just seem to enjoy being that....... thin :mad:. Its a real struggle for me because I want lenght but not a ratty result. Still the quality it's getting better and certainly have very little split ends.

So yeah I know how frustrating can be to some people

Horrorpops
April 28th, 2016, 08:05 PM
I have a bit of a v-shaped hemline and layers so my ends definitely look thinner than the roots. I actually like the look of a natural taper, but I guess to maximise the thickness of your hemline I think people suggest frequent microtrims and not having layers.

I agree though I think some level of thinning/taper is normal and bound to happen. :o