PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Hair Straightening Went Wrong - Help!

elisa_p
April 27th, 2016, 08:32 PM
Hi All,

I've never really posted her but lucked occasionally but I make a stupid, stupid decision last week to have my hair permanently straightened. I went to a very reputable salon but unfortunately my hair did not like this treatment. It's straight but poofy and frizzy at the same time. And parts of it are definitely damaged. I used to have my hair down to below my bra strap. I've already cut more than 2 inches off so it's mid shoulder right now. I'm extremely traumatized and I cannot believe I've done this. I keep reliving this decision and it's causing me great deal of stress. I went to my normal hair dresser who did a olaplaex treatment on my hair and told me to start doing it every week and stay away from heat. I don't know how to manage this without a flat iron. Also I don't know what i'm going to do when I have new growth and it starts coming in curly. Every time I think of it, I want to cry. Has anyone gone through something similar? What did you do? How long did it take you to grow all your hair back? I'm already taking MSM, Biotin (5,000 but upped to 10,000) and silica. I don't know what else to do. Do I just live in a pony for the next year while saving the flat iron for special occasions?

Someone please help!

AJNinami
April 27th, 2016, 09:00 PM
Oh dear! I hope everything turns out okay for you :( I don't have much experience with hair straightening or heat, but I have a few things that might help.

1. Wear buns and braids. Ponytails are damaging to the hair and if you wear them all of the time you will start to see your hair breaking off at the band line. My lengths don't look very good right now from horrible bleach damage, so I've been containing them to hide them. Wearing them in those protective styles will help to keep your hair from damaging more and breaking off.

2. Give up the heat. Seriously, it will help so much. Besides, the lengths won't matter if you're wearing your hair in a braid, bun, or even a ponytail all of the time.

3. Unless you have a serious Biotin deficiency (which you would know, you'd think you were dying) the pills will not do anything for you. It will only cause your body's filtering systems to go into overdrive and mess up other bodily functions.

4. I would recommend microtrimming the damage away so that you aren't losing so much length in one go. (Microtrimming is cutting off half or all of your new growth each month - somewhere between .1 to 1 inch)

5. Spend a lot of time on this site researching what you can do to help your hair. Seriously, there are so many things you can do! I would follow the new member program: First give up the straighteners, curlers, and blow dryers. Then, following your normal hair washing pattern (every day, every two days, once a month, etc.), wash your hair in this order: apply conditioner, rinse and shampoo, then rinse and apply conditioner again. Don't add any new products or try any oils or masks or weird things until you have been following this regimen for a month. Spend this month learning about hair care and what to do for your specific hair problem. There are lots of threads about Japanese hair straightening and how to rehabilitate damaged hair. After that month, it is up to you what you want to try first. BUT only try ONE THING AT A TIME, for TWO WEEKS. This way you can know what is helping your hair and what is hurting it instead of adding 3 things at once and having to figure out which one did what.

I hope this all made sense to you, let me know if you want any links to threads or articles about hair damage, hair straightening, how to give up heat, how to grow out damage, etc. I (and I'm sure many others!) will be happy to help. Oh, and that search bar up at the top will be your new friend.

Good luck! :blossom:

meteor
April 27th, 2016, 09:27 PM
^AJNinami has already posted some excellent advice. :D

I just wanted to add that if you are noticing breakage after this chemical straightening, you may want to look into hydrolyzed protein treatments (Aphogee 2 Step, Joico K Pak reconstruct, DIY gelatin treatments), pre-poo oiling with penetrating oils (e.g. coconut) to manage porosity, CWC and generally gentler and less frequent washing, super-gentle detangling, less overall handling, sleeping on silk/satin (pillowcases/scarves/bonnets), keeping hair up in simple, low-manipulation protective updos as much as possible, protecting hair from UV rays with hats/scarves/buffs - basically, since hair accumulates damage, it's important not to add more damage on top of old damage.

Best of luck! :D I hope it's going to get much better with time and TLC! :cheer:

meteor
April 27th, 2016, 10:02 PM
I don't know how to manage this without a flat iron. Also I don't know what i'm going to do when I have new growth and it starts coming in curly. [...] How long did it take you to grow all your hair back?

Please, please try to stay away from the flat iron, if possible, as it's really helpful not to add more damage on top of past damage. :pray: (Direct heat is damaging: some studies on this are here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136845&page=10&p=3191167&viewfull=1#post3191167)

Hair grows on average ~ 1/2'' (~ 1 cm) per month, but the exact numbers can vary a bit between different people at different times.

For inspiration for growing in naturally curlier roots than the straightened length/ends, I'd check out "transitioning hair" or "transitioning from relaxer/texlaxer/BKTs/..." on NaturallyCurly.com or on YouTube, for example - there are lots of people with great advice and the stories/videos they share on growing out textural changes.

I find that hair does recover its shine and manageability and texture after good old TLC (oiling, deep conditioning, protein treatments if needed, protection and protective styles, minimal manipulation, avoidance of new damage). Best of luck! :cheer:

Here is an excellent article by Nightshade on rehabilitating damaged hair that I think can help: Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating: http://web.archive.org/web/20120125071723/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

yahirwaO.o
April 27th, 2016, 11:11 PM
Sorry so much for what hapenned! I know how emotional hair nightmares are so dont over stress please. The previous advices are holy glory for your current condition.

My only advice would be trying to french or dutch braid your hair while the new growth blends nicely with your roots and micro trim a little tinny amoutn every couple of months.

Hope it turns out ok!!!! :o

Silverbrumby
April 28th, 2016, 12:12 AM
Im sorry this happened to you. I think if you are serious about growing long healthy hair your going to have to make a decision to embrace your natural hair.

You're a curly who wants straight. It can happen but damage is the price for straightening.

This site has terrific advice on how to trow out healthy hair.

Sweets
April 28th, 2016, 01:08 AM
:grouphug: Hugs to you, I'm sorry for what you are going through!

My first thoughts: Instead of ponytail, bun/braid. Microtrim as you grow. Embrace your natural curl pattern. Research products/natural treatments on here - there is a wealth of information!

Don't give up!

lapushka
April 28th, 2016, 09:59 AM
3. Unless you have a serious Biotin deficiency (which you would know, you'd think you were dying) the pills will not do anything for you. It will only cause your body's filtering systems to go into overdrive and mess up other bodily functions.

Yes! Definitely read this... please.
http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.be/2011/02/infamous-biotin-rant.html

elisa_p
April 28th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Thanks so much for all your kind words everyone. AJNinami, those are amazing links and I'll def start going through them. I just feel so idiotic to have done this in the first place when my hair didn't even need it. I'm going to stay away from heat and I'm hoping that when new growth comes in, I can slowly manage it as it comes. I think I'll have to bun/braid or pony it. It's just very hard thinking about the months to come right now as it's very overwhelming. :(

Colochita
April 28th, 2016, 01:10 PM
I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

It may help to look into transitioning hair (people transitioning from relaxed hair or curly permed hair to their natural hair), since that's essentially what you'll have to do if you're growing it all out. You'll find tips for blending the two textures as well as dealing with breakage at the line of demarcation (where your curly hair changes to straight).

Upside Down
April 28th, 2016, 02:26 PM
I am not sure what Japanese streightening is, but I do keratine streightening (goldwell kerasilk). I do it at home and honestly, if anything my hair is in better shape than before. And the dofference in texture is just so great I would even gladly go shorter to keep it like this. So I think permanent streightening can be done pretty safely.

That said, if you want to grow it out, it will revert to previous structure at least a bit and that will make the transition easy.

Honestly, as an addition into what was already said in the thread, ifnI were you I'd focus on gentle ways to make it more manageable. Damp bunning and heatless waves come to mind.

A learning curve is expected with such drastic changes.

Good luck! :)

MINAKO
April 28th, 2016, 03:17 PM
I've been there a few years ago. I first chopped 1/3 length and saved what there was to save, enough to wear it in a bun and then chopped to chin half a year later. This type of damage can't really be kept in control as it goes to the very core of the hair.. Don't panic, just cut the worst part off and the rest will grow back. Good luck

elisa_p
April 28th, 2016, 06:32 PM
I've been there a few years ago. I first chopped 1/3 length and saved what there was to save, enough to wear it in a bun and then chopped to chin half a year later. This type of damage can't really be kept in control as it goes to the very core of the hair.. Don't panic, just cut the worst part off and the rest will grow back. Good luck

Thanks Minako. Can I ask how long the whole process took? I'm hoping if I can get about 4 inches of growth I'll feel better about this as most of my crown will me my own hair. Does that make sense? I think I might be more willing to chop more off at that point just to get rid of it.

Horrorpops
April 28th, 2016, 08:08 PM
I don't have any additional advice, it looks like you've got a ton of good ideas in this thread. I just wanted to say I am so sorry to hear about this, that really sucks! Try not to keep thinking/re-living the events leading up to the hair treatment, it'll just stress you out.

I am sure you'll be able to settle down the frizz and hair problems, and have gorgeous hair again! Good luck :o

chen bao jun
April 28th, 2016, 08:24 PM
Yes, just baby your hair and wear it up all the time and manipulate as little as possible. the advice to do protein treatments was very good. also do read Nightshade's article on damage, its excellent.
I came on this site with damaged hair, too. It's frustrating. But it will be beautiful again before you know it.
Be sure to combine moisturizing with protein. Curly hair really really needs moisture, too. I use the Joico K-pak.

elisa_p
April 28th, 2016, 09:49 PM
Thanks again everyone. I'm trying not to stress too much. It doesn't look as damaged as it feels but as someone who's always had fairly soft hair, this texture is just killing me. I cannot wait to grow this out and never again am I touching this stuff! Would anyone recommend a Apogee protein treatment or is that too strong for my hair right now? Is this something I can do at home? I didn't the Olaplaex standalone last week and I'm going to do weekly treatments with the #3 to get it in better condition.