PDA

View Full Version : Neck hair

Periwinkle
October 16th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I really hate my neck hair. I don't have a shot that shows it well, but it's thick and dark and there's lots of it.

It only grows to about 1cm long, so I can't pin it up but it's long enouch to be noticeable.

I've experimented with trimming it with scissors, but it's very difficult to get it evenly done. I've been thinking about shaving it but I'm a bit wary of that...

What do you do with your neck hair? Any ideas?

Islandgrrl
October 16th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Neck hair? I have neck hair? OY!!!

Actually I have a lot of neck hair. Or at least I think I do. Most of it grows LONG though and I can usually stuff it all up into whatever the updo of the day is, so I pretty much just ignore it. The fine little baby hairs that never seem to grow - we'll I ignore them, too.

I'm not willing to shave my neck - I'm afraid that I'll accidentally overdo things (I once buzzed off half of an eyebrow while trying to even up my bangs with one of those little buzzy clipper things :eyebrows:)....and the idea of neck-stubble really bothers me. If I were to do something about it, I'd probably go to a competent waxing professional and be very, very explicit about what I wanted - photo of the back of my head in hand.

Awalia
October 16th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I think i am one of those lucky ones who have none. If i would have some, i would just ignore them. They are natural and i think they are allso cute :)

burns_erin
October 16th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I do not have this problem personally, but I have seen them waxed, epilated (ouch) and bleached. Bleaching to a slightly lighter color was the thing that looked best on the person I know.

sunspark*
October 16th, 2008, 12:41 PM
You know, they do permanent hair removal with lasers on all other parts of the body, I don't see why they couldn't zap those offending hairs away for good... :)

RocketDog
October 16th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I don't have a lot, but I do have a little strip of extra-kinky-frizzy curly hair that only grows a few inches long, and I just rub a drop of coconut oil between my palms and smooth the hairs up into the rest of 'em. Not perfect, but liveable. I'm sure they'd irritate me more if they were dark, but they are pretty much clear, no pigment or anything.

When my hair was cut into a bob, the stylist always shaved those little stray off with the clippers, which meant they'd stick out at odd angles after a few weeks of regrowth. Just one more thing to consider if you're going the clipping/waxing route.

MissHair
October 16th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I love neck hair, it curls up like babyhair when I do an updo. I must be weird.. But I hated when hairdressers tend to trim it down, I love the little curls at the back.. Makes me feel girly..

spidermom
October 16th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I like neck hair. I just hate it when DH goes in for a haircut and they shave his neck hairs off. Then he gets stubble. Stubble looks WAY worse than neck hair. Perhaps a nape bun would cover the hairs that you don't like?

susiemw
October 16th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I agree with spidermom,
neck hair looks normal and natural while
stubble never looks good.

and heaven forbid, if you end up having to deal
with ingrown hairs or acne from shaving there, it won't be fun.

however, laser hair removal, takes an average
of 6 treatments and is permanent so that would be
an option for you.

good luck with your decision

Susan

emeraldfaery
October 16th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I have tons of neck hair!! It bothered me for about 2 minutes when someone brought up the subject then I forgot about it. I have a really long neck and wear a bun a lot so I'm sure people notice it, but I could care less. Sometimes I bobby pin the longer bits back up into my bun. It doesn't bother me and I won't LET it bother me. The only advice I have is learn to live with it and love it. :D

Arctic_Mama
October 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I HATE my neck hair. My mom tried to get it lasered off when I was a teen but I didn't have enough treatments so I SWEAR it became patchy and weird. It's just messy looking and too dark. Right now I just leave it, it's not worth stressing over, but I FULLY intend to have it removed when we have more money for the procedure. It will be a lot of years, though.

Elphie
October 16th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I guess I've always liked mine and never considered the possibility of removing it. I wind up with wispy ringlets all the time.

Speckla
October 16th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Ah, I say don't worry about it. Where your hair up and it'll be ok.
________
Driver monitoring system (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Driver_Monitoring_System)

Carolyn
October 16th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I love little neck curlies and wispies. I think it's pretty and feminine. I've seen a few women who shaved their necks and I was :shocked: and :shake: I didn't find it an attractive sight at all. But that's just me. I actually wish I had more.

longhairedfairy
October 16th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Even if you have it professionally shaved, I would worry about the stubble causing acne/ingrown hairs. Mine is longer on one side than the other, so I always have some sticking out where it's shorter, but I wouldn't have it removed. It's a natural thing and it probably looks "worse"/more noticeable to you than to anyone else. Permanent removal would be really, really expensive. Besides, what if it ended up looking bad and you couldn't undo it?

Vitalai
October 17th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I actually like the look of my neck hair. I like having a few wispy strands left out of updos; it softens the look. My mum who keeps a short chin-length bob has her neck hair shaved, and it isn't the prettiest sight. The stubble just isn't a flattering look, and she has to shave it regularly to keep it looking good.

SophieGrowGrow
October 17th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I don't have thick neck hair however I have a very low tollerance for body hair so I get full body waxed every month. The regrowth is ALOT finer and grows slowly. I get the fine hairs on my back waxed along with any hairs undermy neck that I consider too low. Just go to a waxing place. Ask to get the back of your neck waxed, they won't be shocked at all and some people feel embarassed but for waxers as long as your don't have full blown cysts or open flesh wounds they don't really think too much about who, what or where they are waxing or how hairy it is.

It sounds painful, it will probably be at first but its nothing that a deep breath can't cure. Be sure to shower afterwards or risk being covered in red bumps that look like acne like I have on my back now because instead of going home to have a shower I spent the night at my cousins.

You would only need to get it waxed max 4-6 times for there to be a very significant diffrence for a year or so most likely ide say.

Katze
October 17th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I really don't like the wispy look; at the moment it is long enough (3-4 inches) to fan out like the tail of a lobster (if a lobster had a bad 80s perm) and really ruins the look of any updo I try. Sometimes I can twist and twist and pin to get these hairs to stay UP and out of the way, but they usually fall out anyway.

Misting and oiling and extra leave-in helps with the texture (curlier, coarser) of these hairs. Mostly, i wear my hair down, both to hide them and because I look and feel better with hair down.

Oddly, I like how they look on other people, and my mom (a straight, finie) really likes them on me, always complimenting them when I have them. I just feel that they look a bit TOO much like other body hair (dark, curly) in comparison to the rest of my hair. I am hoping they grow more...

chicken
October 17th, 2008, 03:41 AM
I have neck hair that starts very deep on my neck, so I shaved it in march. But with dark hair, you'll always see it, even when freshly shaved. Two weeks ago I started to grow it out again. That's not funny, I think I'll have to wear half-ups at least 9 month or a year. No more updos or pony-tails for this time... So, just ignore it...

shrimp
October 17th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Stupid question - is there a difference between neck hair and nape hair?

I have nape hair on either side of my neck that curls into ringlets but also grows long enough to be bunned - makes every updo look rather Regency and I :inlove: it! In fact I may have to trim them a little as they now automatically get put up and I then have to fenegel them out again.

That seems a little different to what some people take as neck hair which sounds more like 'body' hair :ponder:

Just wondering is all.

Jean_Grey
October 17th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I have hair that starts on the nape and grows down til I'd call it "neck" hair. I don't know if it technically still is simply nape hair.

I go round and round with hating it and tolerating it. My dh loves it and my "wispies". It's just very dark and breaks off and is awkward.

Payal80
November 19th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I also got plenty of neck hairs but it bothers me whenever it sticks to the shirt collar due to heavy sweating.

I think shaving should be the best option ? anyone who has done it and don't have any problems ? how many times you need to shave ? wonder whether the nape skin will retain the smoothness after constant shaving ?

do input your thoughts

Vitalai
November 19th, 2008, 12:58 AM
I wouldn't recommend shaving it. My mum has a chin-length bob, and she shaves the back of her neck to keep up with the hairstyle. She has to do it often and there is thick stubble that I must say really doesn't look good.

If you are wearing an updo, maybe you could twist the neck hair upwards and pin it? Maybe that could solve your problem.

Payal80
November 19th, 2008, 01:10 AM
I wouldn't recommend shaving it. My mum has a chin-length bob, and she shaves the back of her neck to keep up with the hairstyle. She has to do it often and there is thick stubble that I must say really doesn't look good.

If you are wearing an updo, maybe you could twist the neck hair upwards and pin it? Maybe that could solve your problem.

I got plenty of hairs on neck some of them are on the bottom of my nape which are not long enough to pull inside an updo.

also the nape hairs are only few inches long even if I try to fix them in an updo it manages to come out after some time.

Gypsy
November 19th, 2008, 01:38 AM
The hairline at my nape goes all the way to the prominant bone at the top of the spine- about the trapezius area.
Very low hairline (in the front, it connects with my eyebrows, but I pluck it away in that area).
I just deal with the nape hair as best as I can, try to oil it so that it doesn't tangle up as bad in necklaces- but it still does, with it being curly I have many necklaces with wound up baby hair wrapped python tight around them.:o.
Back in the early '90's I shaved from ear to ear and around the back in a 2 in path with the intent of it being seen with my updos and yes, it was a relief to not have to deal with the tanglies but now, I want all my hair to just grow until it can't grow no more!;)

jojo
November 19th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I dont understand what it is your talking about? I have shorter hair on my nape is this what you mean? Or do you mean people with thick hair growing from their neck?:rolleyes:

Anje
November 19th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I've got two long bands of sparse neck hair that grows 1-6 inches long, usually curls, and every so often decides to tie itself into evil little knots. The last time it knotted up, I grabbed the hair scissors and snipped it all to maybe 1.5 inches long -- it never goes into updos anyway, after all. It's been more well-behaved since then. I think I showed it who was in charge.

Schmoomunitions
November 19th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Neck hair is sexy!!!! I love all those little wisps. I love them on my boyfriend and I think they look very nice ! Dont get rid of them, then it would just itch like crazy anyway.

Payal80
November 20th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Neck hair is sexy!!!! I love all those little wisps. I love them on my boyfriend and I think they look very nice ! Dont get rid of them, then it would just itch like crazy anyway.

Don't know which neck hair you are talking about but we are discussing about the fine hair growth on the back of neck.

For me it gives untidy look

I was thinking of getting them colored :confused:

Vitalai
November 20th, 2008, 01:03 AM

:rockerdud I love mine, too! I can't pull off the 'tight bunned mean lady' look yet. :D

Don't know which neck hair you are talking about but we are discussing about the fine hair growth on the back of neck.

For me it gives untidy look

I was thinking of getting them colored :confused:

How would coloring help with your neck hair problem?

EvaSimone
November 20th, 2008, 01:09 AM
I love neck hair, it curls up like babyhair when I do an updo. I must be weird.. But I hated when hairdressers tend to trim it down, I love the little curls at the back.. Makes me feel girly..

Nope you're not weird. My sig pic is of my neck hair on a particularly curly day. They grow to about 3" long, sometimes a bit longer but the bulk remains at around 3".

I embrace my neck hair although I used to hate it.

EvaSimone
November 20th, 2008, 01:11 AM
The last time it knotted up, I grabbed the hair scissors and snipped it all to maybe 1.5 inches long -- it never goes into updos anyway, after all. It's been more well-behaved since then. I think I showed it who was in charge.

:rolling:

Your neck hairs won't mess with you again!

jojo
November 21st, 2008, 06:55 PM
nape hairs is this what we are talking about?

Payal80 can you explain how dye will change them?

Originally Posted by Schmoomunitions View Post

I agree 100%! there romantic!

Payal80
November 22nd, 2008, 12:49 AM
dye won't help but it will definitely give a sexier look.

SeaPhoenix
February 9th, 2009, 07:16 AM
LOL.... My neck hair must be on the less blessed side. Along the sides of neck, below my ears, I get the very fine baby hair patches that grow in as a brownish color to mid neck length (but only the sides). I personally think it looks awful.. kind of like the beginning to middle stages of wolfman... The hairs never grow very long (maybe an inch to 2 inches), and they don't even blend in to the rest of the hair - you see wolfman patchy baby hair so you see the neck through it, then a glimpse of bare neck, and then there's the rest of my hair line... When I had the last big chop in September, the wolfman patchy hair was chopped/shaved by the stylist. And before that, I would occasionally get fed up with the hair and trim it with little scissors. (which I might be doing again, especially now that I'm starting to be able to put my hair up again - if you count pigtails and 2 french braids on the sides). With my hair up, it looks really bad... from a short distance the sides of my neck just look dirty... :/
I can see where coloring/bleaching helps though... lighten up the color so its super pale and not noticeable or seen as dirt from a distance...

GlebeGirl
February 9th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Yeah, I get the feeling that some of us are talking about different kinds of 'neck hair' here. The neck hair that I have (and hate) isn't the type that sexily, wispily falls out of updos. It's a few inches long, grows far too low down the back of my neck and just looks HAIRY, unkempt and mannish. It doesn't go into updos and taking better care of my hair actually seemed to make them worse since they tend to grow longer but still not get into updos or curl enough to at least minimize themselves.

I experimented with shaving, waxing, epilating and trimming but none of those solutions was great long-term and I irritated the skin back there with all that jazz. I'd like to get the back of my neck lasered someday, I think. It makes wearing updos a self-conscious thing for me, and learning to embrace them has been next to impossible for me.

Denebi
February 9th, 2009, 09:02 AM
This is my neck hair:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_tY1hGv3U2vU/SKHatufdfAI/AAAAAAAAA4I/d0cE8HoVs40/s400/Maiko1.JPG

*sigh*

I can start with a perfect updo in the morning, a few hours later I have these messy antennas hanging down.

There is probably nothing I can do about it. I don't think it looks sexy ;) It's just bothersome...

GlebeGirl
February 9th, 2009, 09:18 AM
This is my neck hair:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_tY1hGv3U2vU/SKHatufdfAI/AAAAAAAAA4I/d0cE8HoVs40/s400/Maiko1.JPG

*sigh*

I can start with a perfect updo in the morning, a few hours later I have these messy antennas hanging down.

There is probably nothing I can do about it. I don't think it looks sexy ;) It's just bothersome...

That's what I would call nape hair. My neck hair continues to grow further down along my neck, whereas yours seems to stop growing where your head meets the top of your neck.

You have a gorgeous, long neck, by the way. :)

Periwinkle
February 9th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Well, I found myself a pretty good solution...

I decided to let it grow to see what it looked like. The answer? Like fur. It was seriously thick and each hair was about an inch long. Eventually, I could stand it no more, so I found out an old pair of thinning scissors (I'm an ex-thinning addict, used to thin my hair myself every couple of weeks) and attacked my neck hair with them. The result? It's brilliant! It looks as if it just grows thin like that, which is good as I don't want it to look like I've been messing with it, but it's also totally removed the werewolf effect :D I'm really pleased with it.

Fluke
February 9th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I'm soooooo glad I'm blond.... :lol:

Bene
February 9th, 2009, 11:39 AM
i don't mind my nape/neck hair. it's incredibly fine and tends to curl. then again, i'm not a stickler for a perfect updo. i suppose it'd be all bent out of shape if it were thick and wolfman/pubic hair coarse running down the back of my neck.

JamieLeigh
February 9th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I have a few short locks at my neck that never get longer than about 3-4 inches. I usually just ignore them, because they're curly and generally add a little cute-ness to updos. You can see them probably in all my photos where my hair is up. LOL

GlebeGirl
February 9th, 2009, 12:32 PM
OK, let me sacrifice my dignity a wee bit and post an old picture of my neck hair. This is a rare shot of it and you can see that I've tried to disguise it into the updo for the sake of the shot, but believe me, within five minutes the hair will have worked its way out and would be sticking out crazily.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/cglory/zeestick.jpg

Dreamernz
February 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I have some that annoys me a bit-but only in pictures,luckily the top bits a longer and I leave that hair loose, I personally think any sort of wispy is pretty and feminine :D ( much more so than stubble anyway :D)

Nocturnal
February 9th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I wonder if I have neck hair. :eyebrows:

I only notice neck hair on people who get it shaved or trimmed really short. It is usually something like a short bob cut and and neck hairs are trimmed very short.

wintersun99
February 9th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I can honestly say that I have never noticed my neck hair and couldn't have told anyone if I even had any, before now. It never once crossed my mind. Now I have a new thing to obsess over... :D

*just kidding

Kimberly
February 9th, 2009, 01:47 PM
My neck hair used to make pretty little curls but most of it fell out at the same time my hairline receded. The hairline is growing back in now, but the back doesn't seem to be recovering as well. I hope it will with time, because a receding hairline on the back of the head is kinda freaky looking and I'm tired of disguising it.

Rohele
February 9th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I get the feeling that some of us are talking about different kinds of 'neck hair' here. The neck hair that I have (and hate) isn't the type that sexily, wispily falls out of updos.

Yes, I agree. THIS is neck hair. Thankfully I don't have to look at it when my hair is pulled up. (Sorry about large and gruesome picture)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2534&pictureid=31383

Denebi
February 9th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Hmm, it never occured to me that there might be a difference between neck hair and nape hair...
I have another picture, showing my, let's call it "bottom layer" of hair:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_tY1hGv3U2vU/SDVMoQDBgsI/AAAAAAAAAYw/LPlg0azdMQ0/s400/Sockendutt2.JPG

So, is this neck hair or nape hair, or both? I think it's somewhat similar to the kind of hair Rohele is showing. But mine is very fine hair. (Most of the hairs on my head are fine, even the white strand I have consists of very fine hair.)

Samikha
February 9th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I have it too...I also have this blonde thing going on there, so it's not that noticeable. I suspect it also makes it more fragile, since the strands are very fine and smooth, unlike the rest of it. I'm trying to let it grow as long as it likes at the moment, see if I can get all of it into an updo someday.

I used to cut it off or even shave it now and then. However, it grows back:rolleyes: Might as well try to find a permanent solution.

Ash
February 9th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I shave mine twice a week and have done so for almost 14 years. It grows all the way down my neck and I hate it. One day I will get it permanently removed and hopefully have a natural looking hairline put in higher up.

Goddessey
February 10th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Ugh...I hate neck hair too. I cut mine off with hair scissors. Maybe when I get more money, I'll have it permanently reomoved.

Periwinkle
February 10th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Denebi, I'd say that's nape hair. My neck hair grows right down on the back of my neck, whereas yours is much higher up. Lucky you!

Denebi
February 10th, 2009, 10:18 AM
OK, then, I believe you ;) Lucky me!

Almandine
February 10th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I hate my neck hair too. :(

It's long enough to look really weird, but not long enough to fit into my updos or braids. I take my scissors and cut them to a shorter length, and then they just curl against my neck and look unobtrusive. Right now they're long enough that I can pull them around to the front of my neck (although I do have a thin neck) but they still won't stay in any style I try to pull them into. Frustration.

NiAosSi
February 10th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Yeah, my neck hairs are funny... They form little curls. Don't grow much and sometimes I can hear my comb rip through them. :/
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff74/zentientbeing/IMG00450.jpg

Amara
February 10th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Neck hair!? Wow... I seriously doubt anyone else notices, or cares. If they do, they need to get a life.

I would just let it be. :)

Les
February 10th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Me too! I wish that my neck hair would either decide to grow up and become "real" hair, or just stop trying, lol...

WritingPrincess
February 10th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I have lots of neck hair, mostly concentrated in two "tufts", one on each side. The longest bits brush my shoulders but usually fall out of my braid or bun by the end of the day. I rarely wear a high bun, but I've been thinking about curling the nape hairs with some aloe gel if I want to wear a high bun.

Payal80
February 11th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Instead of getting it shaved won't it be better to give them a style ?
shaving my nape looks like very scary job for me, having the razor blade on the back of my neck feels quite scary. better to get them trimmed using scissors.
anyways who is having the longest nape hair here the maximum I think it is 3 - 4 inches.
while searching the net I found a Japanese site in one such image one lady had such a long tuft of nape hair growth from center of neck might be around 8 - 9 inches long.

Tap Dancer
February 11th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I don't have neck hair, but I have tons of baby hair. It almost looks like I have little bangs. Luckily I can just push them off to the sides. If I were you, I'd leave the hair alone.

Tressie
February 11th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I've got two long bands of sparse neck hair that grows 1-6 inches long, usually curls, and every so often decides to tie itself into evil little knots. The last time it knotted up, I grabbed the hair scissors and snipped it all to maybe 1.5 inches long -- it never goes into updos anyway, after all. It's been more well-behaved since then. I think I showed it who was in charge.
Ha, ha, ha!!! Anje, you gave me a good laugh this morning!! Thanks!!

I have the same problem, and they really drive me crazy when they wind themselves around my necklaces! I haven't been able to "show them who's in charge" yet though! I am afraid to cut them off right now..............coward me!

Also, when I get hot and sweaty they snarl into tangles and I'm sure have splits due to my attempts to comb out the matts!!! UGH!!

auburnlocks
February 11th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I didn't see any nape hair untill I'd worn my hair up for three months straight, now I've got three inch baby fine straight hairs that won't stay up, and little wavy hairs poking up on the top of my head. I hope they're growing because I'm wearing my hair up, and not hair being broken FROM wearing it up. :rolleyes:

Speedbump
February 11th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I have lots of short curly hair at my nape as well. Thankfully most of it has grown enough to get it in updos and my hair is "grabby" enough to keep it mostly in, but yeah, I feel you on the neck hair. And mostly it's never going to get long, too. It just has a super short terminal length, kind of like the hair at my temples. Since I can't shave all that off (I would look all :suspect: ) I just learn to "like" it. :lol:

JamieLeigh
February 11th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Ha ha, I forgot to mention something quirky about my neck hair. It grows upward with the rest of my hair on the right side...but it grows downward away from the pack on the left. :p

JamieLeigh
February 12th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Normally I can ignore neck hair, but since posting in this thread, I've become more aware of it, on myself and others. LOL. I noticed something funny today:

My daughter's hair was being put up in a pony for school, and I noticed that the baby hairs on her neck grow in the same pattern as mine: the right side grows up with the rest of my hair, and the left side grows down and away. Same with my 3-year old when I was braiding her ponytail for her. I just thought it was interesting; it seems to be a hereditary thing!!

arabidbutterfly
February 12th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Just a word of warning to all...If you are considering laser hair removal, it works best on very dark, coarse hair, and not well at all on pale, fine hair

peachrose
February 12th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I have two small patches of neck hair that is much frizzier and shorter than the rest of my hair. I do my best to keep it well moisturized and tuck it up into up-dos but it almost always manages to come out... *shrugs*

plainjanegirl
February 16th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I didn't see any nape hair untill I'd worn my hair up for three months straight, now I've got three inch baby fine straight hairs that won't stay up, and little wavy hairs poking up on the top of my head. I hope they're growing because I'm wearing my hair up, and not hair being broken FROM wearing it up. :rolleyes:

Hmm that is interesting. I have like no nape hair either (more like a bald spot). Wonder what cause your nape hair to grow from wearing the hair up, you'd think if you wore it down more and had less pressure it would grow.

magpielaura
February 16th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I never worry about the short wispy bits of hair at the back. It can even look soft and romantic. I wear necklaces a lot, and since these short hairs tangle around and get broken off even more I end up with quite a lot of them.

I do have a couple of thick, dark, long rogue hairs on the front of my neck. Now that is horrible. They always manage to get really long before I spot them and yank them out!

clementine
February 16th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I let my husband loose with the clippers and boy did I live to regret it , he didn't cut straight and cut some of the normal hair off, then the shaving rash was really severe had to swathe my neck in gunge and no have stubble so leave well alone i say

aprilmay
February 16th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I have neck hair, I will have to take a closer look at my avatar pic to see how it looks because I have never paid that much attention to it. If it bothers you, try smoothing it up into the rest of your hair with hair oil or whatever hair control product you prefer. Shaving sounds tricky. You may decide it is no big deal.

janeytilllie
February 16th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I have lots of neck hair, very long, curly and dark. I put my hair up in buns and people actually compliment me on my neck hair! lol :D They say it gives my bundo a girly romantic look. Maybe it's not such a bad thing? :)

I wouldn't shave it if I was you. You will be left with stubble. And your neck hair would soon regrow.

There is possible laser treatment.

k_hepburn
February 16th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Seeing this thread pop up repeatedly had a part in tipping me over the edge on Saturday - but, well, so did discovering that in the turtle-neck I was wearing my neck hair looked like some creepy brown caterpillar trying to crawl out from under the collar.

Now, I admit I could have done a better job when taking to the scissors (not something I'd advocate otherwise), and the left hand side is a little patchy (I'm right handed), but it sure feels a heck of a lot more comfortable (no more neck hairs pinching when getting drawn into my standard updo, and, once again wearing a turtleneck it looked way better this morning!

I may have to get in some training to make sure both sides end up even but frankly, I think I'm going to keep at it, escpecially since my neck hair seems to have become a lot more resilient, thicker and longer since I've started dyeing my hair regularly (and yes - I know that goes contrary to common experience, but there you go).

So, happily rid of the neck hairs for now

katharine

MadPirateBippy
February 22nd, 2009, 08:24 PM
Neck hair? I have neck hair? OY!!!

Actually I have a lot of neck hair. Or at least I think I do. Most of it grows LONG though and I can usually stuff it all up into whatever the updo of the day is, so I pretty much just ignore it. The fine little baby hairs that never seem to grow - we'll I ignore them, too.

I'm not willing to shave my neck - I'm afraid that I'll accidentally overdo things (I once buzzed off half of an eyebrow while trying to even up my bangs with one of those little buzzy clipper things :eyebrows:)....and the idea of neck-stubble really bothers me. If I were to do something about it, I'd probably go to a competent waxing professional and be very, very explicit about what I wanted - photo of the back of my head in hand.

She's got a point- if you DO decide to do something about this, it's probably a job to hire a professional for.

Kerynna
February 23rd, 2009, 07:03 AM
My neck hair makes the shape of a large M. I really don't like it, but I've decided not to let it bother me.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2207&pictureid=32102

Susana
February 23rd, 2009, 09:41 AM
Lol, I think lots of people love it, and most people probably won't be turned off by it at all. Honestly, its no big deal and not worth the trouble. Besides, with such a gorgeous bun like yours, who's gonna look at your neck hair?!