PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting with hairstyles is not fun and breaks my hair.Anyone been through this?

casiopeia
April 27th, 2016, 05:55 AM
I'm pretty much sick of experimenting any hairstyles (braids, buns, heatless waves, hairtoys, not haircuts) . I never get any of them right and all I manage is breaking hair and than feeling bad about it. Last week I tried some spiral curlers and instead of the loose curls the girl in the tutorial got, I got extremely tight curls that took my hip length hair to my SHOULDERS. I was ready to go out town and I had my make-up on and all, and I had to wet my hair and use a rotating hot air brush ( I swore off heat) to get it back to normality in good time. I also had to cut a nasty knot off my hair. Last evening I tried some hairstyles with a double comb after some YT tutorials. I couldn't manage to get any of them right and my hair also tangled horribly in the comb and I spent 10 minutes carefully sorting the mess out. Some hairs broke off too and then i felt bad and guilty for breaking my hair.
I like my hair long and I want it way longer (classic), but all I feel like doing with it (outside the house) is wear a ponytail. There are some up styles I like, but I literally am retarded when it comes do doing them and having crazy tangly hair doesn't help. The buns and braids I can do (simplest ones), I don't like how they look on me.
Is anyone currently or has anyone been in a similar position and how did you deal with it? Please give me some suggestions.

AJNinami
April 27th, 2016, 06:00 AM
Just wondering, are you a silicone user? Also, when was the last time you S&D'd, trimmed, or clarified?

casiopeia
April 27th, 2016, 06:05 AM
I use silicones regularly to help with slip, on my ends mostly. The last time I trimmed was one month ago (2 cm), I clarified a few days ago ( I clarify regularly, about once every two weeks), and I s&d 1-2 times a week. I treat my hair very nicely. The ends are not dry and I don't have many splits. It's just tangly by it's nature and has always been so. My ends are quite tapered though and that makes it much more tangle prone but won't consider cutting a chunk off.

Frankenstein
April 27th, 2016, 06:19 AM
I have the same problem - a lot of the time when I practice hairstyles, they don't work and I end up with bad tangles & breakage. I've yet to find a solution to this and it really frustrates me so I'm just sticking to the few things I CAN do for now. :(

April 27th, 2016, 06:22 AM
My hair got less tangly after oiling routine. Without product they're really tangly, in the past I couldn't even do three strand braid without my hair dreading during braiding.

lapushka
April 27th, 2016, 06:28 AM
Two words that will save you to grow to the length you want, if that's what you want: *benign neglect*. I have worn a peacock twist all the way from about APL to waist/hip, and then I switched to a LWB all the way to classic. I never do much with my hair but put it up, and it gets washed once a week. I am all for *low* manipulation.

Maybe try a new style once a week, and limit yourself to that, and see that you can fall back on a go-to bun or style.

casiopeia
April 27th, 2016, 06:38 AM
I have the same problem - a lot of the time when I practice hairstyles, they don't work and I end up with bad tangles & breakage. I've yet to find a solution to this and it really frustrates me so I'm just sticking to the few things I CAN do for now. :(

Thanks, it feels good to not be alone.

Two words that will save you to grow to the length you want, if that's what you want: *benign neglect*. I have worn a peacock twist all the way from about APL to waist/hip, and then I switched to a LWB all the way to classic. I never do much with my hair but put it up, and it gets washed once a week. I am all for *low* manipulation.

Maybe try a new style once a week, and limit yourself to that, and see that you can fall back on a go-to bun or style.

Thank you for answering. I feel the best about my hair when I don't fuss about it too much and I've grown from bsl to waist with little manipulation too. I wore a peacock twist too for a long while! It just seemed like everyone here is capable of wearing their hair in a multitude of styles and vary them often and I wanted to be able to do so myself.

pailin
April 27th, 2016, 07:04 AM
Most of the time I've done the same one type of bun or simple English braid. I don't try to get my hair straighter or more curly. Recently I finally learned to french braid, and I was ecstatic - then I realized how much hair was on the floor! I've done a lot of braiding since, but if I'm getting frustrated, I quit and go back to my English side braid or lazy wrap bun. Recently I quit anything complicated entirely for a while because it's been insanely hot and my air conditioner was broken. I'd start sweating trying to do my hair (because you can't do it in front of the fan of course), and it would stick to my skin, and I'd rip hair out, and finally I decided it was time to go back to whatever I can manage in 30 seconds, at least until I got ac again.
And the whole reason I don't do the disc bun is that I always find kinked ends afterwards.
It's perfectly ok to do as many or as few styles as you feel like.
And for what it's worth, while my female friends love it when I do more complicated braids, the only one my male friends have complimented me on is the simple English braid.

LongCurlyTress
April 27th, 2016, 09:10 AM
I, like lapuska, am also a fan of benign neglect. I also did a peacock french twist until bsl? and then a two claw lwb until now at TBL. Also, if you are using any leave in's, be careful they are not causing the ends of your hair to feel glued together especially during detangling. This is why I only use a drop of Evoo on the ends for finishing detangling with a comb. Then into an lwb or nautilus... This also lets my hair dry wavier instead of 3b curly so detangling is alot easier. I do use gobs of coney wash out conditioner when I am in the throws of detangling in the shower, tips to scalp, but then I try to rinse that out as much as possible. Even using coconut oil at night, made my ends feel like glue during detangling in the shower the next day due to the C oil solidifying when it gets cold. Good luck!! I would keep it simple.... and so far, fingers crossed!! Keeping it simple is working out for me to protect my length. ;)

meteor
April 27th, 2016, 09:28 AM
Yes, I do less and less with my hair, too. It's just that hairstyling experimentation is becoming harder and harder with extra length (takes longer, more potential for tangling, etc...)
I wear the same updo almost every day, however, when I reach new milestones an old bun often becomes uncomfortable (unbalanced, pulling or heavy and sliding), so I usually switch to some other go-to bun at that stage.

I'm in two minds about experimentation: on the one hand, it can be risky (especially new complex braids or curling methods can cause detangling problems for me), on the other hand, boredom can set in without some fun with hair, so I get ideas about cutting it all off just to make it easier to style hair and have fun with it... I think we sometimes need to strike a balance between benign neglect and fun. :D

spidermom
April 27th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Something about curls: Curled hair often starts out really tight but loosens up pretty quickly. I find it's best to take it out of the curlers and leave it alone as much as possible. Curls that start out about shoulder length and left alone are hip length by the end of a couple of hours.

I love experimenting with different styles, but I do it with a loose hand because anything tight gives me a headache. I don't break hairs usually, but I do create tangles from time to time. I have a spray-on product (Redken One Union) to help with untangling my hair. I love braided styles the most.

MlleMC
April 27th, 2016, 10:00 AM
I grew from shoulder to TBL wearing mostly braids (English and French), with the occasional ponytail, and basic buns starting at some point below waist.

Right now I try to experiment a little more, because I like it, but I still wear a braid or a LWB most days. I mostly try new styles when I have special occasions coming up. Otherwise I just keep with my basic styles and occasionally add an accent braid or a colourful ribbon.

Chromis
April 27th, 2016, 10:52 AM
There are YouTube videos and there are YouTube videos. Not all of them are hair friendly since that is not an important thing to everyone.

browneyedsusan
April 27th, 2016, 10:55 AM
I mess with my hair all the time, and it's pretty cooperative, but I grew it out so I could wear it different every day. :) I look at Torrin Paige, Silvousplaits, and LaDollyVita33 --all youtubers-- for help. Some things just don't work well for my hair, but others are fantastic!

What don't you like about the way you look? I don't understand how a ponytail looks nicer than braids or buns? Why do you want your hair super long?

Silicones will make your hair slippery, but that brings a whole different set of challenges.

Anje
April 27th, 2016, 11:19 AM
It sounds to me like you're doing a lot to try to change the texture of your hair. Curling it, straightening it with that hot brush tool... Occasional or gentle changes (stretching curls, putting in rag curls, for example) can be fun, but fighting your natural texture too much tends to result in damage. It also seems like it maintains a dissatifaction at one's hair, because you're spending time trying to make it something it's not instead of exploring what you can do with it as it is.

I've found that messing around with conditioners until I found what did and didn't work for me helped considerably with the tangles. So did detangling slowly so I didn't kink or break hairs. Eventually (and this takes ages when you're also growing your hair longer), the older and more tangly hair got trimmed out, and the hair that got better care from the start isn't as prone to tangles. I still prefer to keep my hair in a simple braid and/or bun most days, because that protects it and prevents it from tangling.

SparrowWings
April 27th, 2016, 11:31 AM

I've done much the same, and was about to suggest the same. If I get a burst of enthusiasm to try something new, I'll generally give it 2-4 attempts, and after that, either it worked and can stay for a while, or I quit and toss it back into my default so I can go get something else done. After that, I may or may not try again in a few days/weeks, depending on how close to working I got, and on how badly I want to be able to do it. I'll generally limit my experimenting to one, maybe two, new styles at a time, too -- that way I'm not causing extra breakage by confusing which style I'm trying, and it gives what I'm working on a fair shot. If I get it to work, and it didn't take too long to get it done, I might try it again for a few days in a row (or every other, or such) to cement the new skill, and slowly broaden what I can do that way. One other thing I would suggest is to try both with and without a mirror. Some styles seem to be easier with one, but others, I can't for the life of me do unless there isn't even one in the room (French/Dutch braids, I'm looking at you!).

Thanks, it feels good to not be alone.

It just seemed like everyone here is capable of wearing their hair in a multitude of styles and vary them often and I wanted to be able to do so myself.
You're definitely not alone, don't worry. I suspect some people have just had more time to spend on practicing styles, and some people have more cooperative hair. Also, minor changes can make styles look completely different -- a different type of toy, accent braids, tidy vs messy... There are all kinds of ways to change it up. I'm still figuring it out myself, but I'm astounded at how just having a slightly wider set of toys to choose from can make such a big difference!

furnival
April 27th, 2016, 12:42 PM
It just seemed like everyone here is capable of wearing their hair in a multitude of styles and vary them often and I wanted to be able to do so myself.
I'm pretty sure that it's not everyone who can do loads of styles! Maybe the people who can, post more pics. :p

I can only do three buns, and like you I suffer with insanely tangly hair. It prohibits me from attempting to learn to do fancy braids, because I know I will get annoyed and lose patience and feel useless. I now stick to less tangly options like buns.

Learning hairstyles is a skill- it takes practice, and like any skill you shouldn't expect to be able to do it immediately. You wouldn't lose hope if you started learning the violin and couldn't play it straightaway- don't lose hope if you can't do hairstyles straightaway.

Lots of buns don't involve any separation of the hair- why not practice some of those? You might find it takes longer than you imagined to get the hang of them, but if you don't persevere you never will. ;)

Llama
April 27th, 2016, 12:53 PM
If I'm going to try experimenting with a new hairstyle I always make sure I detangle thoroughly first. That way my hair doesn't knot up and break while I'm practicing with it. I think it's fun to try new styles but I limit myself so I'm not overmanipulating my hair.

casiopeia
April 27th, 2016, 01:06 PM
I mess with my hair all the time, and it's pretty cooperative, but I grew it out so I could wear it different every day. :) I look at Torrin Paige, Silvousplaits, and LaDollyVita33 --all youtubers-- for help. Some things just don't work well for my hair, but others are fantastic!

What don't you like about the way you look? I don't understand how a ponytail looks nicer than braids or buns? Why do you want your hair super long?

Silicones will make your hair slippery, but that brings a whole different set of challenges.

I simply think ponytails look better on me than buns or braids( the ones I can do. The ones I can't do, well, I can't do them)....We all like the look of some particular styles more than others, don't we?
I want my hair super long because I like the look and feel of longer and longer hair.

It sounds to me like you're doing a lot to try to change the texture of your hair. Curling it, straightening it with that hot brush tool... Occasional or gentle changes (stretching curls, putting in rag curls, for example) can be fun, but fighting your natural texture too much tends to result in damage. It also seems like it maintains a dissatifaction at one's hair, because you're spending time trying to make it something it's not instead of exploring what you can do with it as it is.

No, actually I don't. I curl my hair (without heat) about once every two weekends, and I haven't used that hot brush tool or any other heat tools in ages. I just used it last weekend because I was very much in a hurry and I didn't want to go out with an afro...(not that it's something wrong with an afro, it just wasn't what I wanted).

Thanks for the helpful answers everyone :) .

AJNinami
April 27th, 2016, 05:34 PM
For hair breakage with new styles, I have the same issue. Tangly hair is never fun to work with. It took a lot of patience and broken hairs to learn how to french braid without damage. Every new bun I try ends up with many snags and broken hairs the first 5 times. I guess it's how it is for many of us, but with good (read: quality) practice eventually you'll be able to do them.

Good luck! :flower:

sumidha
April 27th, 2016, 05:59 PM
For me, complicated braided styles aren't worth it, period. I'm not a very good braider and my hair tangles together. To get them to consistently look nice I would have to practice enough times to really damage my hair.

Have you considered getting one of those mannequin heads that cosmetology students use? You could practice on one without damaging your own hair. I would also suggest using a ton of leave in or oil when you try new styles, practice before you wash your hair so oiliness or whatever isn't an issue. Lastly, when you're looking for youtube tutorials, look for people that have a similar hair type as you. The updo that looks easy on someone with 1a/f/ii hair will come together totally different on someone with 2b/c/iii hair.

Oh also the Hairstyle of the Month forum is really helpful because there will often be multiple tutorials posted, or troubleshooting suggestions in the comments.

You mentioned that there's some buns and braids you like the look of and others you don't, maybe asking about those specifically will get you some useful suggestions?

Simsy
April 27th, 2016, 06:21 PM
If it helps, I learn one new style at a time and I practice that style until I am comfortable with it. Then I find the next one I want to learn. If its a complicated style with a number of different stages, I will practice each stage until I am happy with it before moving on to the next stage. I have taken 2 months to be comfortable with a style.

Entangled
April 27th, 2016, 06:32 PM
I find that the more sectioned a style is, the higher my breakage and tangling will be. So a LWB goes pretty well for me. A french braid means more tangles and breakage. However, since more complicated stuff takes more time, I find that those more damaging styles don't get worn too often, so I think it's fine. As for curls, I think any method of curling will result in tangles. It's the degree that matters. Some methods are better than others for longer hair. Torrinpaige's got many good curling tutorials suitable for long hair (Her hairstyles tend to involve a lot of manipulation, though, so those aren't what you're looking for.) I feel your pain regarding texture, though. My hair's not really wavy enough for my liking, but wavy enough to look straight, so when I plan to wear it down, I often look to change the texture. A LWB straightens it and curls the end under (a look that I love) and victorian rag curls (this version involves spiraling the hair down a scarf, so tangles less and curls more uniformly than wrapping it over itself on a small rag, so fewer angels and better curls). A good rule of thumb for styling in general, though, is to test run it before you plan to wear it. I'm inept at most styles involving bobby pins, so practice beforehand is a must.

If you want a style, you might try a comet bun. There are different ways to do this (I tie my hair in a knot, which might tangle your hair), but you can do it with a basic cinnabun and it looks like a short ponytail but gets the length out of the way. I also like high buns, but those can be trial and error.

I'm also seconding the clarifying suggestion. That usually helps when my hair is excessively tangly.

ETA: Try and find what works with your hair. I've been bored lately and so have been messing with my hair more than normal, with pigtails and double buns. Side twists are a fun and relatively simple way to jazz things up, and bun placement really does change how you feel about a style. For me, high or low is good, but middle of the head looks bad. Stick buns tangle less than pinned buns, and I've been sticking with them more and more. Rope braids tangle less easily on me, so I use them a lot. I like the chinese bun with rope braids. Also, you might try ACV or white vinegar rinses (or some other variation of the acidic rinse.) Those help my hair behave.

Inga-Marjukka
April 27th, 2016, 11:34 PM
This is so relatable. I only know how to do like 4 buns, and I've accepted that going slow when learning new styles goes a long way. By that I mean that when I want to try something out, I only focus on one style at a time, and if it works out start wearing it, but won't try another one until a week or two has passed. I'm such an impulsive person I really would like to try a million buns immediately but I know I'd only end up ripping my hair, sweaty and angry :lol:

Also, I've noticed that for me, learning to make buns is a bit like learning to play an instrument. I started playing the ukulele for fun a couple of years ago and when some chord seemed really difficult I just stopped playing and took it up again in a couple of days or a week, and suddenly the chord had become really easy. So subconsciously I had known exactly how to do it, but my hands weren't in sync with my brain yet, which has happened with making buns a lot.

Patience and the best of luck to you with your hairstyle journey :heart:

Arctic
April 28th, 2016, 01:00 AM
For me there has been two phases when I learn hair styles: Phase one is learning the movements both mentally and with my hands, phase two is learning to do it in a gentle, non-damaging way (fine motor skills). In other words, learning new styles usually means some broken hairs, but when I have learned them, I can make them without broken hairs.

The phase two needs some practicing too, mindfulness and slowing down. It's easier if you haven't already learned the "wrong" way, and will try to learn the mindful way right away. For example I had learned french/dutch braiding as a child, but I had never really taken time to learn to do it in a non-hair-breaking way, untill I was a LHC member. It has needed conciderably more efforts from my part to unlearn decades of bad technique and relearn the fine motor skills in a new way. but the good news is, it can be done and I never broke hairs when I make braids I am familiar with. Only when I learn new ones there are some casualties, but I try to learn the mindful way with new braids too as soon as I get the pattern down.

Theobroma
April 28th, 2016, 10:26 AM
I'm pretty much sick of experimenting any hairstyles (braids, buns, heatless waves, hairtoys, not haircuts) . I never get any of them right and all I manage is breaking hair and than feeling bad about it. Last week I tried some spiral curlers and instead of the loose curls the girl in the tutorial got, I got extremely tight curls that took my hip length hair to my SHOULDERS. I was ready to go out town and I had my make-up on and all, and I had to wet my hair and use a rotating hot air brush ( I swore off heat) to get it back to normality in good time. I also had to cut a nasty knot off my hair. Last evening I tried some hairstyles with a double comb after some YT tutorials. I couldn't manage to get any of them right and my hair also tangled horribly in the comb and I spent 10 minutes carefully sorting the mess out. Some hairs broke off too and then i felt bad and guilty for breaking my hair.
I like my hair long and I want it way longer (classic), but all I feel like doing with it (outside the house) is wear a ponytail. There are some up styles I like, but I literally am retarded when it comes do doing them and having crazy tangly hair doesn't help. The buns and braids I can do (simplest ones), I don't like how they look on me.
Is anyone currently or has anyone been in a similar position and how did you deal with it? Please give me some suggestions.

I don't experiment with styles at all. My rule of thumb is that if it takes more than forty-five seconds to put my hair up, whatever I'm doing is too complicated. If I have to use elastics or extra pins rather than just the stick or fork du jour, it's too complicated. If I have to go through complicated and time-consuming motions to put a texture in it that it doesn't naturally have (that would be curlers, rollers, and suchlike), it's too complicated. Half the reason I have long hair is because I like the simplicity and low-maintenance aspect of it! :)

AmyBeth
April 28th, 2016, 10:56 AM
I can relate as well. I don't have much time to devote to learning new styles, and I'm unwilling to lose much hair to detangling! For me, hair is about the length and health, rather than the style. I also have an extremely sensitive scalp, which is more uncomfortable the longer it gets, currently FTL. Different hair toys can relieve the boredom, and dress up an otherwise same old same old hairstyle. Comfort and protection trump style, always, imho. There might have to be some tradeoffs for extreme lengths.

mira-chan
April 28th, 2016, 11:15 AM
I know how to do a lot of hairstyles, I had a bit more time to experiment in the previous years. Now I wear usually 3 or 4 styles though the whole year, and mostly the cinnablob or the braided bun. I also wore my hair in a ponytail or English braid till I got to hip.

As for experimenting, I could do a lot because my hair isn't very tangly, I'm lucky in that but it comes at the cost of coarse witch looking hair unless contained. Even when experimenting, it averaged to a new style a month or so. I also never tried to change the texture of it. I'll do a fancy style on occasion for a special event now, but that's it. Mostly it was just benign neglect.

As for simple buns not looking great, there are a couple of options, with those same buns. Some people get a fringe/bangs to frame the face more. Also placement of the bun on the head higher or lower can change the look a lot. Also adding some small braids (plain small English braids) at the sides or twists, can change things a lot.

Mirabele
April 28th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Everything what lapushka said.

I try many styles and most of them i am not able to do, and it may sometimes be annoying, and i even have slippery hair (the opposite problem, no tangles but too much slip and my hair runs out from most styles like free water or air). I stick to the few i can do and i have noticed it goes like that for some time, then suddenly one day i am able to do something new.

yahirwaO.o
April 28th, 2016, 06:42 PM
For me there has been two phases when I learn hair styles: Phase one is learning the movements both mentally and with my hands, phase two is learning to do it in a gentle, non-damaging way (fine motor skills). In other words, learning new styles usually means some broken hairs, but when I have learned them, I can make them without broken hairs.

The phase two needs some practicing too, mindfulness and slowing down. It's easier if you haven't already learned the "wrong" way, and will try to learn the mindful way right away. For example I had learned french/dutch braiding as a child, but I had never really taken time to learn to do it in a non-hair-breaking way, untill I was a LHC member. It has needed conciderably more efforts from my part to unlearn decades of bad technique and relearn the fine motor skills in a new way. but the good news is, it can be done and I never broke hairs when I make braids I am familiar with. Only when I learn new ones there are some casualties, but I try to learn the mindful way with new braids too as soon as I get the pattern down.

You sum it up quite nicely! Yes the very first beginning ar a total nightmare and feels like you are doing more harm than good to hair. Learning from bad does work and eventually those broken hair never happen because you go it just right.

I have very slippery hair and most LHC buns dont work for me unless its in a pony base, hair product, overnight texture or all of them together to attempt success. I have done some pretty excellent job but to be honest Im still in the lazy basic team. Its either loose or a high-low cinnamon bun with a hair tie.

I learned just because I wanted to conquer those styles and sometimes for fancy occasion I will recreate them. Also if u have friends, a head maniquin or yarns, try practice on all those and you will get somwhere in a more peaceful manner.

And if it helps im a guy who was totally clueless about long hair!!!!!!

Gaalsong
May 5th, 2016, 10:12 AM
I think not experimenting with different hairstyles is fine. I have settled into a side french braid with a braided bun in the back (secured with spin pins), and I pretty much wear that every day now. It takes about six or seven minutes to do, and stays all day. I didn't feel pretty with a plain bun, so I found something that gives a little interest in the front, keeps my hair from looking flat, disguises dirty hair, keeps it up out of harms way. And I'm sticking with it until it's too long to do it anymore!

I guess what I'm saying is, if you can find something that works on a daily basis, there is nothing wrong with doing the same thing every day. I'd recommend finding a hairstyle you like that involves minimum manipulation for maximum prettiness, and then rock it. :)

Wusel
May 7th, 2016, 02:14 AM
I don't experiment with styles at all. My rule of thumb is that if it takes more than forty-five seconds to put my hair up, whatever I'm doing is too complicated. If I have to use elastics or extra pins rather than just the stick or fork du jour, it's too complicated. If I have to go through complicated and time-consuming motions to put a texture in it that it doesn't naturally have (that would be curlers, rollers, and suchlike), it's too complicated. Half the reason I have long hair is because I like the simplicity and low-maintenance aspect of it! :)

SAME HERE!!! My folded braid updo takes me about a minute to do and it holds a whole day long. I love the look of it and it doesn't pull so, that's it. No other experimenting needed now until it's too long for it and I'll have to find another everyday style. As for me I find most of the styles I could do with my length already too complicated. And to learn them I always have to sacrifice many hairs. I gave up learning to dutch braid because I lost some hairs from it. It's not worth it for me.

MidnightMoon
May 8th, 2016, 08:39 PM
Just came here to say Im on the same boat. My ends tangle, my hair is too fine. It breaks, I sweat and it sticks to my back, to my fingers, to my scalp, to itself...its just a nightmare... and then I end up with bald patches because its too fine, and not properly divided and its just a mess. Finally, its too dark for most intricate updos to be noticeable so it ends up being a waste of time.

school of fish
May 8th, 2016, 10:35 PM
*raises hand*

Yup, this is my story too. I have cobweb hair - fine, silky and slippery yet incredibly tangly, each strand with a mind of its own. Sectioning is a miserable experience, and no matter how slowly and gently I go I invariably snap strands every time I try. Trying to practice protective styling through the cobwebby grabbiness incurs damage, which is ironic and feels counterproductive to me. It's frankly kind of killed any enjoyment of hairstyle experimenting for me.

That said, I do have a teeny arsenal of dependable styles that I've managed to master and use in specific situations when I need to get my hair out of harm's way - lazy wrap bun, nautilus bun and side dutch braid. I'm able to do all of these in seconds without damage, so they meet my extremely low styling tolerance level ;) I've also just recently discovered the ONE heatless, non-damaging curling method that will hold on my ultra-stubborn straight hair - spiral set on bendy rollers. That handful of styles I can literally count on one hand is plenty for me - they serve their purpose when I need them to and I feel no need or desire to experiment further for styling.

Most of the time I wear my hair down anyway, even now that I'm almost at tailbone. I prefer it that way, and I actually lose less hair to damage leaving it down than putting it up, so I just go with it. Life's too short to not enjoy your hair, ya know...? ;)

DoomKitty
May 9th, 2016, 02:55 AM
I'm going through something similar at the moment...I'm a few inches from APL and while I can easily do french braids on DD doing them on my own hair leads to tangles. So I guess I'm sticking to English braids (I think thats correct, in Australia we call them plaits lol) and pony tails until my hair is long enough for simple buns.

lapushka
May 9th, 2016, 03:42 AM
I never even attempted to experiment with hairstyles, because - as a teen I did, and I know how much hair comes out with the slightest manipulation you do. That's why I've stuck with a peacock twist and now a LWB all through my growing out process. I just want minimal damage. I experimented with washing methods, and dyes when I first got here, and that was a mistake as well. Oh well... :rolleyes:

Horrorpops
May 9th, 2016, 06:46 AM
I agree with everyone you don't have to experiment with different styles! If you don't find that fun and it's hurting your hair I'd say stick to what works!!

The only thing I'd add is that I normally have problems with new styles when I don't comb my hair properly and when I rush (especially if I rush). When I am unfamiliar with a style it takes forever for me to get it done the first few times and any rushing = breakage for me.

Cg
May 9th, 2016, 11:31 AM
I just expect when experimenting to try one style at a time: one try per day until it either works or clearly won't. I think I never get one right the first time. If you enjoy experimenting, great. If not, don't waste time. Not everyone wants to style the hair a different way every day.

ReadingRenee
May 9th, 2016, 05:30 PM
I can really relate to this as well. I have fine super easily tangled hair. I always feel like when I wear the same style every single day that I am "wasting" my long hair. Like I should be doing more with it because I can. Well, actually I can't. lol I can do a simple french braid pretty well, a french twist, a cinnabun, a pencil bun with hairstick, double braids, double rope braids, and a peacock twist. I have tried other styles and they look terrible, rip my hair, and I also lose hair as I do it.
My hair is about BSL right now. My usual go to is a french twist with a ficcarre, a cinnabun, or sometimes a french braid. I get bored easily so it is frustrating not being able to change it up and if I wear the same hairstyle every day I start thinking, why do I have long hair anyway, and why don't I just cut it?