PDA

View Full Version : Sports and hair care?

Lejli
April 27th, 2016, 12:34 AM
Hey guys! Everyday I go running and of course things get sweaty. I never really know what to do with my hair, I don't want to shampoo everyday, but I also don't want an oil explosion on my scalp.... What do you guys do? PS: where I live there is no dry shampoo available so I'm afraid that won't work

Simsy
April 27th, 2016, 12:57 AM
I braid or bun, and get the length up and off my neck. If it gets a little sweaty, I fluff it out, detangle and let it dry before putting it back up. If it feels slightly off, I oil it to make it look a bit nicer and keep it up until I get around to washing it. Depending on the intensity of your run, you probably wont have to wash after letting it dry out. That said, some more detail would help.
What's your current routine for washing, drying, general daily care?
Do you do water only washes between shampoo and conditioner or keep it dry?
Do you use conditioner?
Do you use a brush, comb, fingers?
And how do you normally dry your hair?

Arctic
April 27th, 2016, 01:19 AM
If your hair is long enough, you could scalp wash your scalp area only.

Also, there are many home made dry shampoo recipes around, if you are interested.

browneyedsusan
April 27th, 2016, 03:33 AM
Sometimes I rinse my hair out with water, and other times I just bun it on top of my head and leave it while I shower. It doesn't seem to get stinky or greasier than normal? I have seasonal allergies, so am careful to keep the pollen rinsed out before bed.

I sweat easily in summer and am an active girl. :) I jump in the shower for a quick rinse off pretty often, and go through lots of laundry. My hair seems to be okay with it.

Also, I don't think shampooing every day is a bad thing. If your hair is dirty and bugging you, then wash it! Young people pump out lots of oil until their hormones settle in their 20's. Some people are just oilier than others. (They never make wrinkles when they get older. :justy: !) You do what works for you. I wash mine when it bothers me, usually every second or third day. Sometimes, I wash it every day if I'm doing dirty/dusty work or didn't get all the henna rinsed out.

RavennaNight
April 27th, 2016, 04:28 AM
Sometimes I rinse my hair out with water, and other times I just bun it on top of my head and leave it while I shower. It doesn't seem to get stinky or greasier than normal? I have seasonal allergies, so am careful to keep the pollen rinsed out before bed.

I sweat easily in summer and am an active girl. :) I jump in the shower for a quick rinse off pretty often, and go through lots of laundry. My hair seems to be okay with it.

Also, I don't think shampooing every day is a bad thing. If your hair is dirty and bugging you, then wash it! Young people pump out lots of oil until their hormones settle in their 20's. Some people are just oilier than others. (They never make wrinkles when they get older. :justy: !) You do what works for you. I wash mine when it bothers me, usually every second or third day. Sometimes, I wash it every day if I'm doing dirty/dusty work or didn't get all the henna rinsed out.

This. I've just begun a more intense cardio workout, jogging, in contrast to the arc trainer or elliptical, and I'm sweating tons more. So I wash my hair. :shrug: Whatever. If it's dirty or feels uncomfortable, just wash it. Use a milder shampoo or dilute your shampoo with a water in the bottle. Try sulphate free shampoo, maybe it will work for you.

AJNinami
April 27th, 2016, 06:06 AM
After a long running workout, I find that the sweat dries off and doesn't leave my hair crunchy at all. The only problem is that sweat left on the scalp can clog pores and inhibit hair growth or cause scalp acne. I've never had a problem with it. I'll usually leave it after a run until my next running day (so it goes run day, break day, run/wash hair day) and even then I'll only do a WO because sweat comes off well with just lukewarm water. I also second the scalp-only washing (although my hair isn't quite long enough to do it). Good luck! :)

lapushka
April 27th, 2016, 08:35 AM
I braid or bun, and get the length up and off my neck. If it gets a little sweaty, I fluff it out, detangle and let it dry before putting it back up. If it feels slightly off, I oil it to make it look a bit nicer and keep it up until I get around to washing it. Depending on the intensity of your run, you probably wont have to wash after letting it dry out. That said, some more detail would help.
What's your current routine for washing, drying, general daily care?
Do you do water only washes between shampoo and conditioner or keep it dry?
Do you use conditioner?
Do you use a brush, comb, fingers?
And how do you normally dry your hair?

This. ^^ You are asking a lot of questions, but sharing *very* few things about your routine, and they are really need-to-know if you want good advice!

Gaalsong
April 27th, 2016, 10:34 AM
I run every other day, often on my lunch break at work. I keep it in a braid or a bun when I run. I let it down for a few minutes to dry if possible, and do a little scalp massage. But then I have to put it right back up. I only wash twice a week. I haven't had any issues with it. It doesn't look as fluffy or clean as it would if I didn't run, but it isn't gross. I sometimes spray it with rose water or use some essential oils on it if I am worried about a sweaty smell. If it looks especially greasy I try to do a pretty side french braid into a bun or something fancy. People comment on how nice it looks so I guess it doesn't scream "grease explosion."

meteor
April 27th, 2016, 01:02 PM
How about a quick scalp-only wash to refresh the scalp? :) It can be done with diluted shampoo or even with Water Only. And I don't think there is any problem with sweat, especially if you manage to aerate/wick moisture away quickly.
Here are a few variations on how scalp washes can be done:
- with a braid held down by a bra-strap/collar (works on heavy and long braids better): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwREj8Kadlo
- with a bun covered by a plastic cap, washing just the hairline: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc
- with a braid on top of head, held by hand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF6HijoC6U8&feature=youtu.be (from 1:30)
- etc, etc

Also, you mention that no dry shampoos are available there, but you could DIY it :D with things like (depending on your hair color) cocoa powder, arrowroot, cornstarch, clay, baby powder... But a quick scalp rinse with water is something I prefer, because I'd rather rinse off sweat than put powder on top to absorb it. But YMMV. ;)

samanthaa
April 27th, 2016, 03:34 PM
I run 5x a week and wash my hair with shampoo 2x a week (sometimes there might be a water- or a co-wash in between). I get pretty sweaty when I run, even in the winter. But I never find that sweat equates with grease. Sometimes I feel like the sweat (and the salt in the sweat) actually causes my hair to look less greasy (am I alone in this?).

I usually run in the evening. I typically let my hair down, so that the sweat can dry, and then apply some dry shampoo to the roots right before bed (I use a natural one from CV that's scented with EOs, which could be easily replicated with a DIY method). In the morning, the dry shampoo has absorbed any excess oil, and I just wear my hair up for that day. A BB brush might also be good after the hair has dried but before the dry shampoo has been added, to refresh the scalp and brush away some of the dried sweat...?