PDA

View Full Version : Fake silk?

Ailurophile
April 26th, 2016, 09:26 AM
As I am a vegetarian I do not want to use real silk, is fake silk as good or does it even work at all?:confused:

Additionally, are pillow cases or sleeping caps better?:):)

TatsuOni
April 26th, 2016, 09:50 AM
I used a fabric that resembles satin for our pillowcases and they work great:) Here's a thread about pillowcases, bonnets and scarves. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=137384

Robot Ninja
April 26th, 2016, 10:01 AM
As I am a vegetarian I do not want to use real silk, is fake silk as good or does it even work at all?:confused:

Additionally, are pillow cases or sleeping caps better?:):)

Polyester satin is probably just as good for your hair, but might make you sweaty. I would think a sleeping cap would be better but if you find them uncomfortable, a pillowcase will do fine.

pailin
April 26th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Also, if you happen to have a cheap satin scarf around, you can wrap that over your regular pillowcase to try it out.

truepeacenik
April 26th, 2016, 10:25 AM
The first value of the fiber is slipperiness. The second is how well the fiber "breathes."
I have older silk scarves, from charity shops (one from Oxfam shop in Littlehampton, actually), and a polyester pillow case.
Both fibers work well. The silks breathe better, so if I were all about scarves' (and since they end up all over the bed and nowhere near my head, I'm more of a pillowcase fan), I'd go for silk. Used silk. Or the silk that is made by gathering spent cocoons and not occupied cocoons.

Trolleypup once mentioned a beech modal fabric that he liked. His hair is impressive, so I picked up one. It's slick but not slippery. Fine hair might not work on it, but M and C? No problem.

One thing to think about is the balance of using silk versus polyester that sends fine plastic fibers into waterways every time it gets washed.
I've spoken about my difficult choices between animal cruelty and ecological survival before.

Anje
April 26th, 2016, 10:32 AM
I use a $2 polyester satin sleep bonnet. My polyester satin pillowcase doesn't get used, because it feels AWFUL on my face, but the bonnet is lighter and quite comfortable (unless I wake up with a migraine or something, in which case it's too tight). It seems to keep my hair from tangling overnight, so I'd say it works fine. :)

Ailurophile
April 26th, 2016, 11:03 AM
I used a fabric that resembles satin for our pillowcases and they work great:) Here's a thread about pillowcases, bonnets and scarves. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=137384

Nice! I'll have a look through that and see what I think I'd prefer :)

Polyester satin is probably just as good for your hair, but might make you sweaty. I would think a sleeping cap would be better but if you find them uncomfortable, a pillowcase will do fine.

Polyester satin sounds good!

Also, if you happen to have a cheap satin scarf around, you can wrap that over your regular pillowcase to try it out.

I'll have a look through my things! Good idea :D

The first value of the fiber is slipperiness. The second is how well the fiber "breathes."
I have older silk scarves, from charity shops (one from Oxfam shop in Littlehampton, actually), and a polyester pillow case.
Both fibers work well. The silks breathe better, so if I were all about scarves' (and since they end up all over the bed and nowhere near my head, I'm more of a pillowcase fan), I'd go for silk. Used silk. Or the silk that is made by gathering spent cocoons and not occupied cocoons.

Trolleypup once mentioned a beech modal fabric that he liked. His hair is impressive, so I picked up one. It's slick but not slippery. Fine hair might not work on it, but M and C? No problem.

One thing to think about is the balance of using silk versus polyester that sends fine plastic fibers into waterways every time it gets washed.
I've spoken about my difficult choices between animal cruelty and ecological survival before.

I will see what I can find about silk made with un-ocupied cacoons, it is also the price which plays apart with silk because it can get quite expensive. I hadn't though about plastic into the water! :( I will have to consider my options.

I use a $2 polyester satin sleep bonnet. My polyester satin pillowcase doesn't get used, because it feels AWFUL on my face, but the bonnet is lighter and quite comfortable (unless I wake up with a migraine or something, in which case it's too tight). It seems to keep my hair from tangling overnight, so I'd say it works fine. :)

Good price! I think I would a sleeping bonnet over a whole pillow case, the only problem is I am scared it will pop off my head!

Anje
April 26th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Good price! I think I would a sleeping bonnet over a whole pillow case, the only problem is I am scared it will pop off my head!
Honestly, my initial problem was apparently ripping it off my head in the middle of the night and flinging it across the room. It probably took a week or so of wearing it every night before I started leaving it on. :D

Groovy Granny
April 26th, 2016, 11:07 AM
I use polyester satin pillow cases; it is much easier on the budget and works great.
Can't stand wearing a cap :p
Amazon has good prices.

Ailurophile
April 26th, 2016, 12:18 PM
Honestly, my initial problem was apparently ripping it off my head in the middle of the night and flinging it across the room. It probably took a week or so of wearing it every night before I started leaving it on. :D

Haha!:laugh: I'm guessing I'll just have to get used to it :)

Ailurophile
April 26th, 2016, 12:18 PM
I use polyester satin pillow cases; it is much easier on the budget and works great.
Can't stand wearing a cap :p
Amazon has good prices.

Do you find that you have to wash the pillow case a ridiculous amount of times? Like, if you ever have any face oils on it just sticks to the pillow?

Angelica
April 26th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Nice! I'll have a look through that and see what I think I'd prefer :)

Polyester satin sounds good!

I'll have a look through my things! Good idea :D

I will see what I can find about silk made with un-ocupied cacoons, it is also the price which plays apart with silk because it can get quite expensive. I hadn't though about plastic into the water! :( I will have to consider my options.

You could try what is called "peace" silk. It is not as slippery as the normal silk, but at least the silkworms are not killed for the manufacture of it. http://www.aurorasilk.com/silk_fabrics/peace.html

lapushka
April 26th, 2016, 12:27 PM
I have a microfiber pillow case, from a microfiber bedding set. It is awesome. I totally recommend! I can't be the only person in the world that has this? Right?

Nique1202
April 26th, 2016, 12:37 PM
You may also consider looking at thrift stores for second-hand silk shirts, dresses, or tablecloths that you could make into your own pillowcase or bonnet, if your particular vegetarian philosophy would allow for "this has already been used for its intended purpose so better for it to end up on my pillow than in a landfill".

Since satin is a weave technique rather than a fabric on its own, you can find satin in lots of different fabric types. Cotton satin is a little rougher but seems like it would avoid the sweaty factor of polyester satin. Pillowcases are easy to sew on your own if you don't mind them not looking picture perfect (fold over, sew two sides shut, boom) so if you live near a fabric store go and ask what they carry in a satin weave, have a feel and see what you like.

lapushka
April 26th, 2016, 01:09 PM
I have a cotton (satin weave) pillow case and it's out for me. It catches every bit of lint you can imagine. Yuck!

genlilliana
April 26th, 2016, 01:39 PM
I can chime in...I bought satin pillowcases and they work very well for me. I also bought a couple of satin hair scrunchies and they are great too. Maybe you skip the silk altogether!

Groovy Granny
April 26th, 2016, 04:26 PM
Do you find that you have to wash the pillow case a ridiculous amount of times? Like, if you ever have any face oils on it just sticks to the pillow?

No that hasn't been a problem at all.

Ailurophile
April 27th, 2016, 01:39 AM
You could try what is called "peace" silk. It is not as slippery as the normal silk, but at least the silkworms are not killed for the manufacture of it. http://www.aurorasilk.com/silk_fabrics/peace.html

Ooh! I'll have a look at that, thanks!

I have a microfiber pillow case, from a microfiber bedding set. It is awesome. I totally recommend! I can't be the only person in the world that has this? Right?

Sounds good!

You may also consider looking at thrift stores for second-hand silk shirts, dresses, or tablecloths that you could make into your own pillowcase or bonnet, if your particular vegetarian philosophy would allow for "this has already been used for its intended purpose so better for it to end up on my pillow than in a landfill".

Since satin is a weave technique rather than a fabric on its own, you can find satin in lots of different fabric types. Cotton satin is a little rougher but seems like it would avoid the sweaty factor of polyester satin. Pillowcases are easy to sew on your own if you don't mind them not looking picture perfect (fold over, sew two sides shut, boom) so if you live near a fabric store go and ask what they carry in a satin weave, have a feel and see what you like.

I would think about second hand silk, definately! I wouldn't mind sewing my own, I'm still stuck on whether it'd get dirty super quick?

I have a cotton (satin weave) pillow case and it's out for me. It catches every bit of lint you can imagine. Yuck!

Oh no, thats my worry :(

I can chime in...I bought satin pillowcases and they work very well for me. I also bought a couple of satin hair scrunchies and they are great too. Maybe you skip the silk altogether!

Thats good! Maybe silk is just a hype :)

Scarlet_Celt
April 29th, 2016, 04:24 AM
If you don't want to use silk then you can certainly opt for polyester satin. It's certainly a step up hair-care wise than cotton. However, a good quality silk isn't just hype. It is breathable, incredibly soft, hypoallergenic, a thermal insulator, durable, and resistant to all kinds of gross stuff (mould, mildew, dust mites, etc). Not to mention the ecological effects of polyester satin that have already been previously addressed. All that said, to each their own, so buy and use whatever you feel is best :)