PDA

View Full Version : Hair length dysphoria?

CreatureBailey
April 26th, 2016, 06:42 AM
By ''dysphoria'' here I mean, when you don't see something as it really is. Like when you look in the mirror and you appear extremely ugly to yourself but it's only you that think this way. o.o

Ok so. What I mean here is...does it happen to you that on days you look at yourself in the mirror and go ''Wow...my hair is so long lately. I don't know when it happened! :3'' but then a few weeks later you look at yourself in the mirror again and it's like... ''Meh. Average''. Even if your hair is super long?

When my hair was SL and badly cut, I would look at people with BSL and I would be like :O wwwoooowow it's sooooo long!!! *.* And now my hair is almost TBL and I look at myself in the mirror and it's just like ''Meh it's not even that long''. XD Like if I had saw someone with TBL before I would have freaked out but now I'm so used to it that it feels medium now. Like I feel at an awkward length. But if I told this to someone with shorter hair they would look at me like :horse::slap::bigeyes::brickwall

April 26th, 2016, 07:09 AM
Well... knowing I can go to classic everything shorter than classic feels kinda short, heh.

Anya15
April 26th, 2016, 07:12 AM
Yes, this happens to me all the time!

lapushka
April 26th, 2016, 07:35 AM
Nope, doesn't happen to me anymore. With classic I've reached the end of what is still comfy on me, so that is my length, and after a while you get to accept it, see it for what it is. ;)

Anje
April 26th, 2016, 11:12 AM
Oh, it's definitely a thing. You're far from alone.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=89361
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110728

I see people with waist length hair and think things like "I wish my hair was super-long like that." Nevermind that my hair is past classic.

mira-chan
April 26th, 2016, 11:37 AM
I'm a bit past classic and between being use to long lengths and having thin ends, it totally doesn't feel like the length it is. It's been around this length for years now too.

Pinni
April 26th, 2016, 12:27 PM
CreatureBailey, my hair is around the same length with you, and I feel the same. Maybe this is commonat this length? I was thinking sometimes when I was at midback that it is quite long, not anymore.

lapushka
April 26th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Maybe the fact that I teeter-tot between what's no longer comfortable (and too long damn it!), which is over classic and classic, which still is comfy - constantly reminds me of the length I am, and helps me see it for what it is.

Pearly~91
April 26th, 2016, 12:38 PM
I have this problem as well. I know it's much longer now, but it doesn't feel any longer than it felt at BSL. The only time I really notice the difference is while washing it. I see people out and about with their hair down and go 'Wow, that's really long! I wonder when I'll get there...' and then I realize that my hair is already longer.

I've just accepted it as a fact of life. I have a lack of self awareness when it comes to that stuff.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 26th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Yes, I feel like that regularly. I just tell myself that other people think it is long, even if I don't :)

Llama
April 26th, 2016, 04:04 PM
This happens to me. One day it will be laying nicely and I'll think my hair looks long. But sometimes if I'm having a bad hair day it will look extra short. I don't know lol

lithostoic
April 26th, 2016, 04:16 PM
I always think my hair has gotten longer, but then I take a pic and it's still short :/

mira-chan
April 26th, 2016, 05:34 PM
Maybe the fact that I teeter-tot between what's no longer comfortable (and too long damn it!), which is over classic and classic, which still is comfy - constantly reminds me of the length I am, and helps me see it for what it is.

That could be it. There is a point about 2-3 inches of growth length somewhere between tailbone and classic where noting works for me and just bothered me to no end. I had classic as a goal at that point so that's what got me past it, otherwise I might have cut back, and have before. Once past that length things started balancing again. That's mostly why I don't cut back to tailbone for end thickness and then regrow. It's easier to wait at classic or longer.

cailinbee
April 26th, 2016, 05:55 PM
I definitely understand "hair length dysphoria..." I haven't had anything longer than mid-back in the past ten years, so technically I've been mostly a short-haired girl, but even when it's long it always seems like argh! It could be so much longer! Grow dangit!

littlestarface
April 26th, 2016, 06:46 PM
I definitely have this, my hair feels so short to me like real short. If I see someone outside with long hair i'm like "man she has such long hair, I wish I could too" but then my family is like "um yours is longer than hers".

I just dont see mine as long, maybe cuz it's not thick it feels short to me.

missmagoo
April 26th, 2016, 10:23 PM
Yes! I was just looking at YouTube videos, trying to figure out how I am going to do my hair for Ren Faire, and I was worried about having enough length to do some of the styles. Never mind that the woman in the tutorials has hair that's about 4-6 inches shorter than mine!

Lavendersugar
April 26th, 2016, 10:48 PM
Oh yes. Mine is a few inches from waist and most days it seems short to me. I think a lot has to do with see pics here. I long for waist but I'm aiming for TB but then I think that will be too short and should aim for classic.

I'm short so my hair does not look as long as taller people. I see those taller than me with hair shorter than me and it looks longer. I'm sure if measured it would be longer.

Ingrid
April 27th, 2016, 12:31 AM
Oh yes. Mine is a few inches from waist and most days it seems short to me. I think a lot has to do with see pics here. I long for waist but I'm aiming for TB but then I think that will be too short and should aim for classic.

I'm short so my hair does not look as long as taller people. I see those taller than me with hair shorter than me and it looks longer. I'm sure if measured it would be longer.

I get the opposite feeling! If I look at a shorter person with say, hip-length hair, to me it looks super long because somehow it looks longer in proportion to their body. Whereas on myself, hip-length hair still looks like waist-length to me... :lol:

DarkChocolate
April 27th, 2016, 07:30 AM
I feel this all of the time. I am at midback now and I feel that it is so short and I cannot do anything with it. After a wash, the right kind of shirt and lighting I feel that my hair is so beautiful and it has grown.

Seeshami
April 30th, 2016, 06:04 PM
I don't generally comprehend my hair length

Wildcat Diva
April 30th, 2016, 06:09 PM
I don't think I comprehend anything.

Yes this is a thing. And for thickness as well, not just length.

cowgirllong
April 30th, 2016, 06:24 PM
I think this is such a common thing among us longhairs. I often look at my pinterest hair board thinking this picture or that one looks so good. And then realize my hair is waayyy longer than the picture I am looking at.

A few years ago one of my girls asked me to cut her hair. We were at an event with some friends who noticed her hair was shorter and I made a comment about her "short hair". I saw them all look at me weird because to them, her hair was still long. It was past shoulder length, but in our family, that is pretty short. To the rest of the world, APL is long hair.

Captamericium
April 30th, 2016, 07:41 PM
Yeah this is me, I felt like I was just at shoulder or a little past shoulder for the longest time because from the front it looks like nothing has changed...but i had actually looked at my hair from the back in the mirror for once and my hair is at APL turns out!

AspenSong
April 30th, 2016, 07:56 PM
I totally deal with this. I see people with hip length hair or something and I feel like it looks so long, yet I don't feel like mine is THAT long at knee. I think a bit of it has to do with thickness for me as well...but I definitely am off with my thinking on my length. When I picture myself and my hair, I always see it as only like waist/hip length. The only time I feel like it's long I think is when I have a nightmare where it gets cut. =(

pailin
April 30th, 2016, 08:37 PM
It's really to be expected. Our perceptions are usually influenced by who we spend time around. For example, I've always thought of myself as bad at math. A few years ago I started to realize that actually, I'm not bad at all, especially with the math you use in daily life. It's just I grew up in a family of math-y engineers. It depends who you compare yourself to.
That said, I still think my hair looks short, at waist - the longest it's ever been in my life.

JadedByEntropy
April 30th, 2016, 10:02 PM
I know in my head exactly where where my hemline is. I'd do better (and stop trimming) to ignore it for a few months...but i saw a picture the other week, that i didn't take, of me at an event and was shocked that that hair was my hair. :laugh: it was really odd to have perceived my own head as obviously someone elses because of the length. o.0
I'm growing into never-been-this-long territory and obviously can't get used to it.
LHC has also given me a strange sense of what 'long' is. xD

Groovy Granny
April 30th, 2016, 10:15 PM
Generally it feels long...it should because it is the longest I have ever had my hair in all my 65 years :p

But there are days when it feels 'short' and I wonder how long I will actually grow to :eyebrows:

I have already changed/extended my hair goal twice :laugh:

lapis_lazuli
May 2nd, 2016, 10:37 AM
Yep... except I'm hardly ever impressed by the length of my hair. Since my goal is ultimately floor, I'm only just over halfway there. :doh: But still I see people with hair my length or shorter and think, "wow, that's so long!!!" :shrug:

Shepherdess
May 2nd, 2016, 11:11 AM
Yes, I am plagued with this. :D My hair is past classic and still doesn't feel long. I think a couple of years ago it felt longer when it was thicker and nearly knee.

Laur
May 2nd, 2016, 04:23 PM
Yep. I see pictures of my hair and it doesn't register to me as long until other people comment on it. (Day to day, it's always up in a bun, so I don't really pay attention to it.)

cowgirllong
May 2nd, 2016, 04:47 PM
I think the comments other people make about our hair can make a huge difference. For good or for bad. I have never had a negative comment about my hair, but my students tell me my hair is SO long and it is like a bit of extra sunshine in my day.