PDA

View Full Version : Ankle length hair on The Tyra Banks show

plainjanegirl
October 16th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Today they are having age defying makeovers. So this one girl with ankle length hair they guessed that she was 40 and she was 23. She had never had her hair cut except for the bangs. They said the long hair was aging her. She is gonna be getting married soon and they wanted to know if she wanted to look more her age. Before they took her backstage to get started Tyra had her fiance come up and the girl put her hair in a ponytail (and she was crying....she shoulda said no). So they cut it then at like BSL. I'm sure they'll probably cut it even shorter. Why do they do this???????

Chanterelle
October 16th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Well, I can't watch this show as I'm not in the US but I'm mostly puzzled not why THEY did it but why SHE let them cut her hair. :rolleyes:

plainjanegirl
October 16th, 2008, 09:46 AM
She just came back out and they did cut it more. It was cut into a bob!!!! And dyed a dark color.
Oh my I would be so sick!!!

You know when the reality kicks in she will be upset I would imagine.

Forever_Sophie
October 16th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I loved her new cut, the only reason I'd have liked it bra-strap length is b/c she's getting married. Other than that, she wasn't held hostage on the show, she put herself there and they did their job.

If she were at all familiar with Tyra, as I'd have to be before going on any makeover show, she should have known what could come out of this.

Personally, I never would have put her age at 40; she has a very young, gorgeous face and now people can see it without, I did initially did, trying to focus on her face and not the overwhelming hair.

plainjanegirl
October 16th, 2008, 09:57 AM
But why do people just have this mindset that long hair ages you. Sure maybe a little in the way she had her hair hanging there. But not when you do nice updos, braids, etc. There is so much you can do with long hair.

Here is the link to her website : http://tyrashow.warnerbros.com/
It probably has a clip or pictures from the show for those who didn't see it.

harpgal
October 16th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Personally, I never would have put her age at 40; she has a very young, gorgeous face and now people can see it without, I did initially did, trying to focus on her face and not the overwhelming hair.Sophie, this is one reason why we wear updos. In my book, ankle length hair is never overwhelming. Well then again, I guess it could be if you were Cousin Itt. :D

Islandgrrl
October 16th, 2008, 11:16 AM
<start sarcasm>I wonder if they donated her hair to Locks of Love?</end sarcasm>

MrsHouston
October 16th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I'm watching this too...did you see the girl that looked 12 before...very cute make over.

MrsHouston
October 16th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Yep, she'll be crying later...so sad. They also want to cut your hair...like on TLC's What Not To Wear...I luv the style tips though.

Angelica
October 16th, 2008, 11:45 AM
If she was crying she has reservations. But she put herself through this and this is what makeover programmes do, they like cutting off long hair. She shouldn't have gone there. If she regrets her decision now it will take many years for her hair to grow back, if it ever does.

I never watch programmes like this. They always anger me.

plainjanegirl
October 16th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Yep, she'll be crying later...so sad. They also want to cut your hair...like on TLC's What Not To Wear...I luv the style tips though.

That is why I watch for style tips, though i don't practice alot of it.

Sarahmoon
October 16th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I wonder, what did you think Planejaingirl? Did she really look like 40? I find that very hard to believe. Maybe they just said that to convince her to do the make-over?

And I think her fiance wouldn't be too happy either. I guess he must have kind of liked her long hair?
My bf would be soooooooo unhappy if I would cut my hair in a bob just before getting married, lol!

Eireann
October 16th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I didn't see the show, but I saw the pix on the website. In my opinion, it was the bangs and not the length that aged her. The bangs looked out of date, and they could have trimmed them to look more contemporary (ie chunky or side-swept) and maybe given her long layers and cut to classic or hip, so it's still long but not as long. I don't understand why these makeover shows always go to BSL or shoulder to "update" a longhair, especially Tyra Banks with her waist-length weave. Maybe she's just jealous!

plainjanegirl
October 16th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I don't think it made her look 40. She had a sweet innocent look. And when she came out with the bob cut and the dark hair color and alot of makeup then I thought it made her have a completely different look....not a natural look, or at least imo.
Her boyfriend even said her hair was the first thing he noticed in class. And then they went on to say he had to learn to kiss her without getting hair in his mouth. Oh now come on!!!
I really doubt she wore it down on a daily basis.

Gypsy
October 16th, 2008, 12:34 PM
All makever show cut hair, no matter the age; if they are young then the show says it ages them, if they are older the show says it is not appropriate for an older woman to have long hair, it's a young woman style:rolleyes:.
They already know they are going to cut the hair, it has nothing to do with anything but the drama factor.
The only time I've eer seen anyone refuse to get their hair cut was on that American Princess show and on that Miss America or USA reality show (can't remember which one it was); the girls were quite adamant about not allowing someone decide how long their hair should be.
BTW; I am 40 and I am HOT, long (ish) hair and all. So poo on you, Tyra, lol!!

Beatnik Guy
October 16th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I'm mostly puzzled not why THEY did it but why SHE let them cut her hair. :rolleyes:
Uh-huh. If she's ever seen any of these shows, it's not as if she'd have been blindsided by the idea they might want to cut her hair?

PseudoScot
October 16th, 2008, 03:11 PM
But why do people just have this mindset that long hair ages you. Sure maybe a little in the way she had her hair hanging there. But not when you do nice updos, braids, etc. There is so much you can do with long hair.

For many reasons. Of course people have the idea that older people look better with shorter hair. Also if you have long hair, to change it usually means cut. Nowadays short hair people often get extensions when they get make overs - or at least some kind of trim.

But to be fair, while there are a lot of 'older' long hairs out there who take care of their hair, there are a lot of 'older' long hairs who don't - and those are the people that get remembered. It is far more common to see long hair left down and unadorned than it is to see it up in a Flexi 8 or figure 8 bun [in any age group, really].

That's the whole point of this site - to offer a great resource for long hairs of all ages. If all the long hairs out there knew how to take care of their hair, this site would be dead. :D

mandeloo
October 16th, 2008, 05:22 PM
<start sarcasm>I wonder if they donated her hair to Locks of Love?</end sarcasm>

and then locks of love sold it to me so that I could make my weiner dog into the irish setter he's always dreamed of being! cha cha chaaa

Soniasonia
October 16th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Laaaaaame.

ItalianFlower
October 16th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Make-overs are about drastic change, and one of the most drastic, instant things you can change about your appearance is your hair, therefore that's what they go after. They can't change a girl's weight or her bust or facial structure in one show. Drastic things with hair are dying and cutting...what they could have done is braid her hair (like eighty itty bitty ones). That's an epic change. Not that I support this but I understand it. I do wish that they could demonstrate that epic change without completely cutting off all length, especially if the hair is healthy...

spidermom
October 16th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Why do they do this???????

The question is, I think, why do people watch this garbage?

vindo
October 16th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I loved her new cut.

She has a very young, gorgeous face and now people can see it without, I initially did, trying to focus on her face and not the overwhelming hair.

So are you growing your hair..? :confused:

I don't know about other longhairs but no matter whether my hair is up or down it does not cover my face...:p

Unless....
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h294/Emichiee/cousinIT.jpg

Soniasonia
October 17th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I agree with you.

Forever_Sophie
October 17th, 2008, 11:26 AM

I love Tyra. I'm heavily into fashion, hair, and make-up. ANTM is one of my favorite shows. I don't consider it "garbage," neither do a lot of people.

Was it you who posted about going to a concert where someone thought you had to justify being there or something? Regardless, that sort of music is the farthest thing from my taste but I'd never ask why one went to listen to "that garbage."

I don't know about other longhairs but no matter whether my hair is up or down it does not cover my face...:p

Unless....

What's to be confused about? I like long hair; it's nearing my waist. My hair is layered and I'm thinking of adding more. It's long because I work in theatre. It's rarely completely loose, and over my shoulders like this girl's hair was. When it is, it's styled.

It certainly doesn't have to cover one's face to be the dominant "feature" of a person, in my unpopular opinion (one of the many, I'm sure). I have nothing to add that wouldn't get me flamed here, sooo...

Periwinkle
October 17th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Unless....

Always a good style :D

plainjanegirl
October 17th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Unless....

Hey wouldn't this be a good way to wear my hair if I have a zit pop up unexpectedly....just joking.

Áine
October 17th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Just reading about that really upsets me.

I know the young woman was not being held hostage, but there are many times when a person, for whatever reason, does not back away even when the little voice in their head is screaming no.

I just can never understand the glee some people can have with lopping off somebody else's long locks. And to read the girl was crying, that poor dear. :(

ClareDee
October 17th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Make-overs are about drastic change, and one of the most drastic, instant things you can change about your appearance is your hair, therefore that's what they go after. They can't change a girl's weight or her bust or facial structure in one show. Drastic things with hair are dying and cutting...what they could have done is braid her hair (like eighty itty bitty ones). That's an epic change. Not that I support this but I understand it. I do wish that they could demonstrate that epic change without completely cutting off all length, especially if the hair is healthy...

Yeah! They just want to make the hugest possible change to a person's appearance. Whether it actually looks better, or makes the person happier, is lower down (or non-existent) on the scale of priorities.

I never wear dresses. Ever. I know that if I went on a makeover show, and told them this, the first thing they'd do is put me in a dress. Purely to see me uncomfortable and out of my element. Then they'd probably pressure me into saying that I have a newfound love for dresses and am so grateful for the revelation. Etc. Maybe the words "Personal Journey" would come into it somewhere.

These shows are often less about being pleased with one's appearance and more about creating the illusion of a major personal struggle having occured... a life changed forever. A hirsuit Shawshank Redemption. It makes for good TV. Just talking about new hairstyle options and letting someone choose what makes them most happy is less entertaining....I suppose.

vindo
October 17th, 2008, 05:43 PM
What's to be confused about? I like long hair; it's nearing my waist. My hair is layered and I'm thinking of adding more. It's long because I work in theatre. It's rarely completely loose, and over my shoulders like this girl's hair was. When it is, it's styled.

It certainly doesn't have to cover one's face to be the dominant "feature" of a person, in my unpopular opinion (one of the many, I'm sure). I have nothing to add that wouldn't get me flamed here, sooo...

It was a simple question...you may not like very long hair.

I suppose she had to wear it loose and up front to show it off on the show :lol:

I find loose and unstyled hair looks nice..try it :p

Forever_Sophie
October 17th, 2008, 05:59 PM
It was a simple question...you may not like very long hair.

I suppose she had to wear it loose and up front to show it off on the show :lol:

I find loose and unstyled hair looks nice..try it :p

If I didn't, I probably wouldn't be here :p I think your hair is amazing from your pics in your signature, the color and shine are amazing. A lot more polished than the girl's hair on the show.

Darkhorse1
October 17th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I can't seem to watch the show--can anyone supply the link? The link given here is just to the site and I can't find it anywhere--just a clip.

arylkin
October 17th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I can't seem to watch the show--can anyone supply the link? The link given here is just to the site and I can't find it anywhere--just a clip.

Yeah- I'm really curious now too... I'd be interested to see it.

It always seems that on shows like that that they cut a person's hair if it's long though (which is annoying).

vindo
October 17th, 2008, 09:33 PM
If I didn't, I probably wouldn't be here :p I think your hair is amazing from your pics in your signature, the color and shine are amazing. A lot more polished than the girl's hair on the show.

Oh no I meant maybe your goal is a shorter length like APL, not everyone goes for classic ^^

But thanks.. and now I am really wondering what that girl looked like. It all sounds like she was pressured by people around her to change her look?

oogie
October 18th, 2008, 01:28 AM
if long hair ages you or makes you dated

and dated stuff / aged stuff is called vintage

Isn't vintage "IN"? :confused:

sky
October 18th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Why do they do this???????Great ratings!!!

Forever_Sophie
October 18th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Great ratings!!!

LOL, evidently!

Freija
October 18th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Well... I see one positive. According to this article (http://www.lakecityreporter.com/articles/2008/10/18/news/doc48f97c070ad61464536826.txt)...

...they did donate all that hair to Locks of Love. ^^;

And she seems fairly happy with the result, although it may well just be telling the reporter what the press wants to hear...

RavennaNight
October 18th, 2008, 08:20 AM
That article is just more proof that all these folks who go on these shows want to be there and want to have these things done to them. Of course she cried. It was drastic! It was something she had never done before in her whole life. And if she wants her hair back I guess we will be seeing her on these boards soon!;)

skay
October 18th, 2008, 08:50 AM
In the photo on the Tyra bank's show, the girl appears to be, I wouldn't necessarily say looks older, but she looks a little more plain or dowdy (it looks like she's wearing some 80s-type shapeless white jacket and is under fluorescent lights.)

I've noticed before-after shows do this to get a bigger "ooohh" and "aaah" after the make-over.

This reminds of a quote from that industry: "That's Entertainment."

Here's the link to the photo: http://tyrashow.warnerbros.com/2008/10/thursdays_show_agedefying_make.php

http://tyrashow.warnerbros.com/Picture&#37;202.png

In another photo of the girl in the article link posted above, http://www.lakecityreporter.com/articles/2008/10/18/news/doc48f97c070ad61464536826.txt,

she actually looks hip and cute in clothes more her age - jeans and a t-shirt, smiling outdoors in the fresh air, etc.

http://images.townnews.com/lakecityreporter.com/content/articles/2008/10/18/news/doc48f97c070ad61464536826.jpg

Overall, the article says she wanted to get her hair cut and had an enjoyable time in NYC.

I hope she is happy. :)

AJoifulNoise
October 18th, 2008, 08:51 AM
if long hair ages you or makes you dated

and dated stuff / aged stuff is called vintage

Isn't vintage "IN"? :confused:

I'm totally with you! According to some sources "vintage" is more than 20 years old. I'm vintage! :lol: So, shouldn't my hair match?

plainjanegirl
October 18th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks for posting the article!
I am sure the outfit was to help play things up.....her long skirt was the same color as the jacket....so it was an older looking plain outfit but in that other pic she was in a younger outfit.
Who knows? She may show up here sometime.

Angelica
October 18th, 2008, 09:10 AM
She was lovely and not at all aged with that hair. Her hair looked in great condition. Pity she felt the need to cut it all off. I hope she wasn't pressurised and that she continues to be happy with her new look.

W. J. Maria
October 18th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Today they are having age defying makeovers. So this one girl with ankle length hair they guessed that she was 40 and she was 23. She had never had her hair cut except for the bangs. They said the long hair was aging her. She is gonna be getting married soon and they wanted to know if she wanted to look more her age. Before they took her backstage to get started Tyra had her fiance come up and the girl put her hair in a ponytail (and she was crying....she shoulda said no). So they cut it then at like BSL. I'm sure they'll probably cut it even shorter. Why do they do this???????

The ultimate silliness is why they do this. If you wear a Roman toga, you must be 2000 years old. If you wear an Egyptian crown you must be 4000 years old.

WaimeaWahine
October 18th, 2008, 11:22 AM
A couple of thoughts here... It would not surprise me if they paid her and/or she did it just for the trip as the article mentions she'd never even been on a plane before.

It's quite common to dress the guest in something dowdy (often provided by the show) with no make-up. Shows have admitted to purposefully making the hair of guests look bad so that the makeover gets more audience and viewer approval. A lot of things can make you look dated - from clothes to hair to make-up to general facial features.

Maybe it's the bangs, but almost everyone puts me at 25 or 26 years old. I'm 40. One woman just looked away from me recently after hearing my age. She was young, tanned, wrinkled, with blonde over-processed shorter hair and lots of make-up. It's all about the choices we make. :rolleyes:

Short soccer mom hair shouldn't be universal. (I personally think nothing screams to the world how old you are more than "short manageable hair.") The woman from the Tyra Show looked very natural, a quality that more women should have.

Can we get a t-shirt movement going that says: "Long hair is in so grow your hair out!"

Sarahmoon
October 18th, 2008, 12:34 PM
She doesn't look like 40 at all, what big nonsense! :mad:

The problem is many people nowadays don't seem to know anymore what a natural look is. They're used to seeing people wearing the same clothes, hair styles and make-up to make everyone look around 25 no mather if you're 16 or 40 :rolleyes:.

Darkhorse1
October 18th, 2008, 01:31 PM
They made her look frumpy--she looks 23 hands down! I'm glad she did something that made her feel better---I think the tears would have been that she'd never had her hair cut...that'd be pretty shocking! I'd love to see what she looked like after....I still can't see the after shots! Boohoo!

longhairedfairy
October 18th, 2008, 03:23 PM
My hair is about hip length and I'm 27. People usually guess my age at around 19. It most definitely does not make me look older. What nonsense.

truepeacenik
October 18th, 2008, 03:48 PM
40 with classic hair, and the guesses are usually low 30s...without age defying make up, to boot.

I have to wonder why her BROTHER had to write the show, why she'd never had a cut or been on a plane by 23.

PseudoScot
October 18th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Just reading about that really upsets me.

I know the young woman was not being held hostage, but there are many times when a person, for whatever reason, does not back away even when the little voice in their head is screaming no.

True, but then again people need to speak up and at the end of the day, they control themselves and what they do. She wasn't forced.

Re: vintage - I saw a quote by Tim Gunn just yesterday, "Just because you've owned it for ages doesn't mean it's vintage!"

:D

plainjanegirl
October 18th, 2008, 04:42 PM
A couple of thoughts here... It would not surprise me if they paid her and/or she did it just for the trip as the article mentions she'd never even been on a plane before.

It's quite common to dress the guest in something dowdy (often provided by the show) with no make-up. Shows have admitted to purposefully making the hair of guests look bad so that the makeover gets more audience and viewer approval. A lot of things can make you look dated - from clothes to hair to make-up to general facial features.

Maybe it's the bangs, but almost everyone puts me at 25 or 26 years old. I'm 40. One woman just looked away from me recently after hearing my age. She was young, tanned, wrinkled, with blonde over-processed shorter hair and lots of make-up. It's all about the choices we make. :rolleyes:

Short soccer mom hair shouldn't be universal. (I personally think nothing screams to the world how old you are more than "short manageable hair.") The woman from the Tyra Show looked very natural, a quality that more women should have.

Can we get a t-shirt movement going that says: "Long hair is in so grow your hair out!"

I second the long hair t shirts.....I'll wear one.

Juneii
October 18th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I'll be honest, I think the short hair looks better on her. I don't think they needed to cut her hair that short, but the fairytale ends make her look a lot older :/
I think it would be because when we grow older our hair takes longer to grow and the ends are thinner because of that, whenever I see hair with thin ends that's what my first impression is. if the ends were thicker it would make the person younger. just my opinion.
it might also be her bangs, that style of bangs aren't exactly the "in" thing right now so we consider the cut of the bangs to be "old"

skay
October 18th, 2008, 06:49 PM
BEFORE

Link to photo:
http://www.lakecityreporter.com/articles/2008/10/18/news/doc48f97c070ad61464536826.txt

http://images.townnews.com/lakecityreporter.com/content/articles/2008/10/18/news/doc48f97c070ad61464536826.jpg

AFTER

http://tyrashow.warnerbros.com/2008/...fying_make.php (http://tyrashow.warnerbros.com/2008/...fying_make.php)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/sgeo/hair/tyra-after.jpg

My opinion is though she's more "polished", she's more high maintenance: in addition to the nice make-up, they said they dyed her hair darker.

--> I think she looked fine in her natural (before) look.

All in all, I wish her well. :)

GlassEyes
October 18th, 2008, 07:00 PM

Her head now looks too big for her body. D:

CourtneyS
October 18th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I like both pics of her *shrug* I couldnt imagine the flood of emotions though having never had a haircut before.. I wonder what she thinks now.

longhairedfairy
October 18th, 2008, 08:40 PM
All I can think to say right now is "ick."

Addy
October 18th, 2008, 08:53 PM
All I can think to say right now is "ick."

Ditto. :lipssealed:

arylkin
October 18th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Eeeeee..... I can't imagine now that she's home and looking in the mirror that she's happy with it... I don't know- with that weird short bob, it kind of makes her look older IMHO (since that was the whole point of the show- right?).

HairColoredHair
October 18th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I think she looks pretty in both photos (though the shirt in the makeover looks like it has a frilly bib :D )

If she wanted to cut it, then I hope she's happy.

Darkhorse1
October 18th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I don't like the cut. I'd have given her longer layers and kept it below her shoulder. She's got a beautiful face, and all that hair is hiding it! But, I'm glad she looks happy with it.

everstar
October 18th, 2008, 10:21 PM
She kinda looks like Katie Holmes now.

This is why I could never go on a makeover show. I'd end up wrestling with the hairdresser for the scissors.

LisaButz2001
October 18th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I agree with the people who said "ick". That bob ages her tremendously. She'll be mistaken for the matron of honor at her wedding. Why would you want hair with no movement that you can only wear the same way day in and day out for your wedding?

darkwaves
October 18th, 2008, 11:37 PM
From the article, she did what she wanted to do by cutting it short, just as most people here are doing what they want to do by growing it long.

She choose short, and she looks lovely. Why would anyone criticize her for that? She's not here to decorate our worlds, remember? :flower:

Surely the point is that we all have a choice?

sky
October 19th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I hope she wasn't pressurised
Fat chance!!! She got a trip to where ever the heck it is that Tyra the Tyrant holds court, probably had her family in the audience, too, was put up at a nice hotel and got some sight-seeing in, and had a few good meals, all in return for letting them humiliate and mutilate her in full view of the entire nation.

Guess you can tell I don't consider that to be a very good trade!

I have to marvel at the cruelty of the "Roman masses" who gather around to watch a woman shorn of her natural beauty and to watch her weep as she is brought down to their level!

eresh
October 19th, 2008, 02:26 PM
She wasn't forced to appear on the Tyra show.
No one dragged her out there I think.
I haven't seen the actual show (only the photos) but my guess is, it goes the same way as these shows go over here.

If she didn't want her hair cut, she didn't have to.
Maybe she thought well, if I'm going to make a change and cut my hair why not get something out of it too and go on tv.
Her choice.
She looked happy with her new look.

eadwine
October 19th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I just love how people get so worked up over something on TV. *giggle*

It won't make a difference if we all rant about it here, and as far as opinions.. I agree with Eresh 100&#37;.

Queen V
October 19th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Perhaps she truly wanted a change. Since she's had long hair for such a long time, it may have become a bit of a rut for her. She will need to adjust to the dramatic change, of course, but it's possible that she was tired of her long hair and ready for her next style choice.

MadHatter
October 19th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I think the new cut is cute, from what I can see. That's the sort of style I'd love to try out on myself, but I don't want to have to wait years to get it back to where it is now.
If she didn't want the cut, I don't imagine she would have gone on the show. She must've known beforehand what was going to happen.
Of course, if it were me, I'd go on the show and let them think they were going to cut my hair. But when it came down to it, I'd say "hehehehe.... NO! Bahahahaha!!!!"

Sarahmoon
October 19th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I think she looked like a 20-er in both pictures. Picture 1 is more my taste, no surprise ;)

I hope she'll keep liker the new style. It's not really suitable for a special wedding style.

Angelica
October 19th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Fat chance!!! She got a trip to where ever the heck it is that Tyra the Tyrant holds court, probably had her family in the audience, too, was put up at a nice hotel and got some sight-seeing in, and had a few good meals, all in return for letting them humiliate and mutilate her in full view of the entire nation.

Guess you can tell I don't consider that to be a very good trade!

I have to marvel at the cruelty of the "Roman masses" who gather around to watch a woman shorn of her natural beauty and to watch her weep as she is brought down to their level!

It is my worry actually as well.

Peer pressure has a lot to answer for. Perhaps this girl had someone banging on to her how good her hair would look short. Only the very strong would be able to stand up to this sort of torment constantly.

No she wasn't dragged there kicking and screaming, but mentally she might've been bound.

I do hope she doesn't regret her decision to allow them to do this to her as her hair will not grow back over night.

I know if someone had the audacity to put me forward for a makeover and had Trinny and Susannah to call on me I would tell them to take a hike and also quit bothering with the "friend" who put me up for such a thing.

Those people in the audience who relish watching this sort of thing are weird.

But on the other hand of course it is up to her if she wanted to make that drastic change.

I have heard it said though that short hair can be versatile as well.

joyfulmom4
October 19th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I agree with others who've said it's all about the ratings. Cutting someones ankle-length hair short is a *dramatic* change, no matter what people think of the results.

I have often felt that the general public has a weird sort of love-hate relationship with long hair. People seem fascinated by it. Some say they love it, others say they hate it, still others seem to be uncertain or give very mixed messages. They'll make comments about how much work it must be or how heavy it must be or don't I get headaches or am I going to cut it ever, etc. They'll comment about long hair needing a trim to look better or something like that, or say something like such-and-such length is pretty but other-length is "too long". And in the same breath that they gush about how they love their short do, they'll reminisce about sometime in the past when they had long hair or someone close to them who did. Even if they have negative comments about long hair, they often still seem very drawn to it.

What is that anyway? Have others noticed it? That people seem drawn to long hair and fascinated by it even when they're short-hair lovers (or appear to be)? I think that's the thing they're pandering to on the Tyra show. Long hair is so rare, so difficult to achive, so "once-in-a-lifetime" in the case of this woman who never cut hers before. So, whether the viewer genuinely loves or hates her hair, they must acknowledge that it's singular in its appearance. Once she cuts it short, she becomes one of the masses of individuals who can and do wear their hair that length. Perhaps it is pretty. Maybe it's even drop-dead gorgeous. But no matter how pretty it might possibly be, it is no longer unique.

I think that uniqueness is a big part of the fascination with long hair. I had a very pretty and very trendy, well-styled hairdo a few years back. But it was nothing that dozens of women I knew couldn't have had. My current long hair may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's not common by any means. And as it gets longer, it'll be even less so. Even if I sometimes think I might look prettier or more stylish with a shorter, styled do, I can't part with this uniqueness that I have now. It's become a part of my identity at this point. What a big change it would be if I cut it.

jera
October 19th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Her after pic is such a sorry sight. And what must her fiance think of all this? I know my bf would be horrified if I did something ike that. He enjoys brushing my long hair. :)
And I enjoy letting him. :D Tyra Banks just doesn't get it.

PseudoScot
October 19th, 2008, 05:25 PM
From the article, she did what she wanted to do by cutting it short, just as most people here are doing what they want to do by growing it long.

She choose short, and she looks lovely. Why would anyone criticize her for that? She's not here to decorate our worlds, remember? :flower:

Thank you!

What surprises me most is not the hair cut or the girl - it's the discussion itself. Sure, long hair is great, but not everyone likes it or wants it. We're all sitting here judging this poor girl no one knows, feeling free to call her 'ugly' basically either before or after. She's not here to decorate our world or be berated by holier-than-thou longhairs.

It's hair people, it's not her. And it's her own damn hair. If she didn't want a make over then she shouldn't have gone.

Nat242
October 19th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Darkwaves and PseudoScot - I'm in total agreement. I can't believe this thread is 8 pages long.

So her haircut is not to your taste - well, that's hardly surprising, we're a bunch of longhairs. There's no need to demonise people with different tastes, and say that they must have pressured her, or that they're ridiculing her, or that they just "don't get it".

How would we feel if there was a message board out there talking about how awful it is that we're growing our hair long - surely it's just to please our boyfriends and we're being pressured into it, or we must be hiding behind something, or trying to recapture our youth?

darkwaves
October 19th, 2008, 06:26 PM
How would we feel if there was a message board out there talking about how awful it is that we're growing our hair long - surely it's just to please our boyfriends and we're being pressured into it, or we must be hiding behind something, or trying to recapture our youth? I'd add a nodding Smilie here if I could find one...

To each her own. And here's to tolerance: :toast:

Nat242
October 19th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I'd add a nodding Smilie here if I could find one...

Here you go: :agree:

Cheers! :toast:

Forever_Sophie
October 19th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Here you go: :agree:

Cheers! :toast:

I'd add a nodding Smilie here if I could find one...

You have no idea how thrilled I am to see that not everyone here is full of hate and judgment! ("Tyra the tyrant"? jeez!)

LisaButz2001
October 19th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it's a double standard to be advocating the right to choose and to be mounting a tolerance soapbox when you simultaneously say that those of us who air our dislike of the makeover and the talkshow host are wrong for doing so? How is that being tolerant and respecting our right to express an opinion?

PseudoScot
October 19th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it's a double standard to be advocating the right to choose and to be mounting a tolerance soapbox when you simultaneously say that those of us who air our dislike of the makeover and the talkshow host are wrong for doing so? How is that being tolerant and respecting our right to express an opinion?

People are expressing opinions. Hurtful, biased, mean ones about people they don't even know. Sorry for being concerned about the bashing of an innocent girl here. I can't speak for the others but I felt compelled to speak up and point it out. If you think it's some sort of double standard to point out to people that their harsh and mean opinions are just that - harsh and mean opinions - then fine. No one said that people shouldn't express their opinions. It's just my opinion that they are mean opinions.

So I guess isn't it a double standard that you don't respect my opinion of the opinions of those making the opinions?

darkwaves
October 19th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I think it's just a question of balance.

Members of LHC frequently get irritated when others tell us what we should do with our hair. If we think that's wrong and that it's up to each of us, individually, to decide, then why should we get upset about what other people decide to do with their hair?

I'm not here to decorate their worlds, and they're not here to decorate mine.

I'm also not on a soapbox or here to criticize anyone on this thread. I'm just offering my opinion on this. :flowers:

jessie58
October 19th, 2008, 09:07 PM
People are expressing opinions. Hurtful, biased, mean ones about people they don't even know. Sorry for being concerned about the bashing of an innocent girl here. I can't speak for the others but I felt compelled to speak up and point it out. If you think it's some sort of double standard to point out to people that their harsh and mean opinions are just that - harsh and mean opinions - then fine. No one said that people shouldn't express their opinions. It's just my opinion that they are mean opinions.

So I guess isn't it a double standard that you don't respect my opinion of the opinions of those making the opinions?

:thud: :rollin:

Nat242
October 19th, 2008, 09:27 PM

No one said you were "wrong" for stating your opinion. The content of my post was that we should think about how we would feel if similar comments were being made about us - which happens.

On threads where people are rightfully upset that "such and such said something awful about my hair", LHCers are quick to post comments like, "It's your hair, who cares what they think?" and "You're not here to decorate their world," and "As long as it makes you happy, who cares?" and even "That was a really rude comment for them to make".

I was just pointing out the discrepancy here - it appears it's okay for us to criticise a perfect stranger's hair cut and personal choice to cut her hair (for 8 pages), but if people criticise our long hair or our choice to grow, they're rude and mean.

By all means, air your opinion. You have every right to do so and I don't believe that anyone wants to deprive you of that right. Be prepared when you do so, however, that people may object to the content and spirit of your post, and state their own opinion.

Now, I'll dismount my :soapbox:

Spiffyhink
October 19th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I agree with the others that the girl's decision about her hair was her own (judging by what she said in that article, it was something she was ready to do--good for her! She got to celebrate it in a way that most people never will). What nobody else seems to have been bothered by is the fact that the people on the show told her she looked 40 when she definitely did NOT!

She looks cute either way, but they shouldn't have exaggerated her looks just to dramatize her desire to try something new. I would hate to think that she would be later dissuaded from growing it out again, if she wanted to, because they had told her she looked older with long hair.

plainjanegirl
October 19th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Sorry I didn't mean to start a thread and cause controversy. You don't see hair that long often so I thought others on here would find it interesting. Didn't mean to cause harm.

ilovelonghair
October 20th, 2008, 02:36 AM
I agree with the people who said "ick". That bob ages her tremendously. She'll be mistaken for the matron of honor at her wedding. Why would you want hair with no movement that you can only wear the same way day in and day out for your wedding?

Not only that she won't be able to do much with her hair for the wedding, she won't be able to put it up. Imagine the fun wedding hairstyles she could have had with the long hair!

goldenwaves
October 20th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Could someone please give me the exact link if there is a story about it on the website? I can't find it. Thanks :)

florenonite
October 20th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I think she looked better with it long, but she seemed ready for the change and, if she likes it, it's nice that she got to travel, etc. for her first cut. I can see her getting upset about it afterwards, though, simply because it was such a drastic change all at once, but I hope that doesn't happen, as she does suit both styles.

mk11
October 20th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Could someone please give me the exact link if there is a story about it on the website? I can't find it. Thanks :)

The whole show is posted on youtube in five parts. It came up when I searched for - tyra age-defying makeovers.

I watched the whole thing, and it wasn't just the studio audience that was very audibly shocked when her age was revealed to be 23, but people in her real life often thought she was much older. She mentioned people thinking she was her fiance's mother and that she was 50.

After her haircut she said she felt free, and she looked very happy. I thought she looked her age after, and though I would never be able to pull off a super short haircut like that, it really did draw attention to her gorgeous face. I thought she looked stunning actually.

I'll be honest, I think the short hair looks better on her. I don't think they needed to cut her hair that short, but the fairytale ends make her look a lot older :/
I think it would be because when we grow older our hair takes longer to grow and the ends are thinner because of that, whenever I see hair with thin ends that's what my first impression is. if the ends were thicker it would make the person younger. just my opinion.
it might also be her bangs, that style of bangs aren't exactly the "in" thing right now so we consider the cut of the bangs to be "old"

I totally agree with you Juneii. Her hair before may have been super long, but it looked awful to me. Very thin, damaged and sort of ratty looking. I think that's why it made her look so much older. It was the look of a woman of a certain age that just gave up many years earlier. And yes, the style of her bangs added to that impression.

There are so many women who post here that have long and gorgeous hair and really take great care of it. It's shiny and healthy, and with a nice full hemline. That makes such a huge difference, I think.

I can't personally relate to the idea of having length just to have length, when it's all thin and scraggly past a certain point. I don't mean to offend anyone by that, it's just my opinion that on some people, maybe super long hair is just not the best look for them. I think the girl on Tyra was one of those people. Her cute, gorgeous face went mostly unnoticed because of her hair, and the hair itself was not very attractive. Maybe if she grows it out again she'll take better care of it and get occasional trims. Anyway, I hope she's happy with it. It sure looked like she was thrilled with her new look during the reveal.

heidi w.
October 20th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I have no pity. The woman consented to the act as well as being on the show. No one forced this woman to the show! No is always an option starting with not doing such highly personal acts in a public forum.

They do it for ratings. And to declare some morality in fashion.

Think about it.

heidi w.

heidi w.
October 20th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Exhibit A regarding ratings and drama: this thread.

heidi w.

MadHatter
October 20th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Exhibit A regarding ratings and drama: this thread.

heidi w.

Good point :D
ETA: I just watched the reveal on youtube. That cut fits her face shape *perfectly*
I think they did a great job on her.

robinjoy68
October 20th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I have cut my hair off soooo many times and yes later was sorry....like now! But, I'm sure this woman had decided long before the show what she was going to do and yeah she might be sorry later or she might like it. I probably should mention that I have however never had ankle length hair before though. Oh and one more thing. There is noway this woman looked 40....well to me anyway. I'm 40 and happen to know what it looks like. :) There again I think it's just the media's way of making women feel like long hair makes them look old...............well I say phooooey. I'm not growing my hair for my looks anyway.

MadHatter
October 20th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I don't think the long hair made her look 40, either. The hair itself looked a bit unkempt, though. It also didn't seem to do much for her face.

robinjoy68
October 20th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I only got to see one pic but yes it didn't look too well kept. I couldn't tell much about her face either except it didn't look 40! .... and thanks for the comebacks. :)

crazy me
October 20th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I can't believe this!!! If anything, they definitely should of helped her find some new updos. I think I would be physically ill if anyone ever did something like that to me- especially with the color!!! Yuck!!! I hate the way people think that you have to have short hair to "look your age".

robinjoy68
October 20th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I agree. My grandmother was in her 70's with ankle length hair and I remember thinking it was the most wonderful hair I had ever seen. :) Of course she wore it up during the day and in a braid at night. But I remember her sitting on the edge of her bed once with her braid hanging over her shoulder and she was just so beautiful and youthful looking to me. I remember a time when cutting my hair short would have been something I would have only done had my life depended on it, but eventually I gave in to the idea that as I got older I should cut my hair!.........WOW! So I know it happens to some of us. I just hope my hair will give me one more chance and come back! :) I bet this young woman will let hers grow out again.

Angelica
October 20th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I can't believe some of the horrible comments being made on here about this girl and her hair. I am sure nobody on here would like that being said about them.

I think the girl in question was lovely looking and I think her hair was too when it was long and I don't believe it looked that unkempt either. Maybe they messed it up a bit just for the show.

She was a pretty girl who could wear her hair anyway she chose.

She certainly doesn't deserve to be ridiculed like this.

Darkhorse1
October 20th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I don't think anyone is ridiculing this girl??? I don't like the cut, but if she likes it, that's great!! I'm glad she's happy and that she did something like this on national TV. I wouldn't have the guts to cut, let alone have it aired.

I do enjoy watching hair dressers cut hair--to me, it's an art. So, if someone with long hair wants it cut, it's interesting to see what the hair dresser sees in their hair.

As for long hair past 40? I always say to someone 'who says you can't wear your hair long past 40?'. Noone has the answer ;) :D

levelek
October 20th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Just watched this. Loved her new cut.
The original rating was ridiculous, and I also agree that the fact she didn't have makeup before the makeover, didn't wear the most flattering clothes, and we didn't see any pictures of her with updos either (they showed photos of the other participants as background info) contributed to the contrast with the post-makeover look.
The people with the mouths hanging open at hearing that she'd never cut her hair were pretty amusing. :)

Darkhorse1
October 20th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Just watching it now--gosh, she's such a tiny little thing, but what a sweetie! She has gorgeous hair and I think she did a really good thing. I wouldn't like that cut for myself, but as long as she's happy with it, good for her! :)

ClareDee
October 20th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I don't think anyone on this thread intended to ridicule Mary (the woman having the makeover). People are just giving their views on the cut, the possible pressures involved, and how she might feel about it now that she's living with the cut and a whole new haircare routine.... :blossom:

I agee with you Angelica, she's got a very pretty face -- she could wear any hairstyle and still look good. Her new bob cut was beautiful on her. I think people are entitled to say they don't personally like it, though (just as people are entitled to say they don't like my hair, although hopefully they wouldn't say it to me directly).

The fact that she was crying a little before the cut was kind of sad to see. I think it's reasonable for people to maybe interpret that she was having regrets, or perhaps felt like she was cornered and couldn't back out without letting a lot of people down. Having Tyra over your shoulder saying "You want to look your age, right?" into your ear might not help.

Of course I'm only surmising, like everyone else here. We can't know how Mary feels about the new style. I do hope she's happy with it, and finds the new haircare routines manageable. And I think we all hope the same...:)

NotOfThisWorld
October 20th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Long hair ages you? News to me... On me it makes me look young.
Although maybe it's like thigh-length and longer hair. My hair is to my butt - and I and my husband love it that length - but people always think I am younger than I am. :P sometimes it's embarrassing when people think I'm a minor when we are out. My husband can't even by wine if I am with him without me getting carded. (he's buying it - note, not me in this situation. lol but the cashier wouldn't let him buy it because I was with him and *looked* underage - I had to show my ID. It was ridiculous as technically they shouldn't have to card me if he's buying it, but whatever.

Maybe it depends on the person... but I thought it was largely my long hair that makes everybody think I'm in my teens! But I won't give it up, I know I would cry if I ever cut it, DH would too.

MadHatter
October 20th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Long hair ages you? News to me... On me it makes me look young.
Although maybe it's like thigh-length and longer hair. My hair is to my butt - and I and my husband love it that length - but people always think I am younger than I am. :P sometimes it's embarrassing when people think I'm a minor when we are out. My husband can't even by wine if I am with him without me getting carded. (he's buying it - note, not me in this situation. lol but the cashier wouldn't let him buy it because I was with him and *looked* underage - I had to show my ID. It was ridiculous as technically they shouldn't have to card me if he's buying it, but whatever.

Maybe it depends on the person... but I thought it was largely my long hair that makes everybody think I'm in my teens! But I won't give it up, I know I would cry if I ever cut it, DH would too.

I had a walmart cashier refuse to let me buy nyquil because I didn't look 18. I'm 21, and I feel like I look it at least. But maybe my hair gives a different impression.

AnimaSola3o4
October 20th, 2008, 08:33 PM

Thank you for this post. :flower: I too watched this show, and she seemed genuinely happy with the outcome. And I found myself wondering what her reaction would be if someday she found this thread and saw people saying 'ick' and that her 'head was too big for her body' after her makeover. :( It would be heartbreaking if it were me. She went on national TV, something most of us have never done (ahem, girlcat you rock!)... and that took guts. She is a very brave young woman, regardless of her choice of how to wear her hair.

ETA: I should have added that darkwaves' post was as far as I'd gotten into the thread, didn't realize this had already been brought up. No need to reply to my post, was just adding my :twocents:.

Oh and FWIW: I thought her after cut was really cute, I liked it a lot.

Sarahmoon
October 21st, 2008, 04:27 AM
Hmmm watched that show now and do all Americans really look that young???
I really didn't think they all looked that old. More like just "not very pretty hair" or "could wear different clothes" or "wears too many make-up" to me. Seriously if you take the time to carefully look at someone's face they really didn't look that old.

Must say that I changed my mind about the ankle-length hair woman though. The long hair looked quite messy, but maybe that was because they brought it all to the front for the show?
But still if you really looked at her face she did not look like 40! Jeez, what would they guess I am... 45?!

DarkChocolate
October 21st, 2008, 11:24 AM
I didn't think that her long hair aged her.

Usually long hair makes people look young!

It was her choice to have her hair cut but I much preferred her long hair:) They could have at least cut it to classic length.

Long hair is so pretty with braids:)

Darkhorse1
October 21st, 2008, 11:57 AM
I finally saw her after shot---the close up was MUCH better than the freeze frame still here. The cut really suited her face--such a beautiful young lady! It was a great color and cut for her face---heck, any style would suit her face. I could never get away with such a short cut.

I think they intentionally dressed all the members in a way so they would 'look' the age they wanted them to. I mean, the girl with the long hair wore a dress only a 60 year old would wear (or older). It had no shape, no color etc. Same with the others. But, it was very educational for all to see what ages you and what makes you too youthful.

People always think I'm younger than I am, and I have no probs with that! :)

vindo
October 23rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
I agree with others who've said it's all about the ratings. Cutting someones ankle-length hair short is a *dramatic* change, no matter what people think of the results.

I have often felt that the general public has a weird sort of love-hate relationship with long hair. People seem fascinated by it. Some say they love it, others say they hate it, still others seem to be uncertain or give very mixed messages. They'll make comments about how much work it must be or how heavy it must be or don't I get headaches or am I going to cut it ever, etc. They'll comment about long hair needing a trim to look better or something like that, or say something like such-and-such length is pretty but other-length is "too long". And in the same breath that they gush about how they love their short do, they'll reminisce about sometime in the past when they had long hair or someone close to them who did. Even if they have negative comments about long hair, they often still seem very drawn to it.

What is that anyway? Have others noticed it? That people seem drawn to long hair and fascinated by it even when they're short-hair lovers (or appear to be)? I think that's the thing they're pandering to on the Tyra show. Long hair is so rare, so difficult to achive, so "once-in-a-lifetime" in the case of this woman who never cut hers before. So, whether the viewer genuinely loves or hates her hair, they must acknowledge that it's singular in its appearance. Once she cuts it short, she becomes one of the masses of individuals who can and do wear their hair that length. Perhaps it is pretty. Maybe it's even drop-dead gorgeous. But no matter how pretty it might possibly be, it is no longer unique.

I think that uniqueness is a big part of the fascination with long hair. I had a very pretty and very trendy, well-styled hairdo a few years back. But it was nothing that dozens of women I knew couldn't have had. My current long hair may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's not common by any means. And as it gets longer, it'll be even less so. Even if I sometimes think I might look prettier or more stylish with a shorter, styled do, I can't part with this uniqueness that I have now. It's become a part of my identity at this point. What a big change it would be if I cut it.

Thats interesting, I feel the same way.

There seems to be a secret attraction to long hair even for people who claim not too like it.
And I have also gotten the story about someone else having had long hair etc.. like they want to say - "I can do it too!"

My coworker was just like that...started with telling me how long it is, then after that it is really thin, followed by a "my hair is sooo thick, I would be so heavy long", and then she usually told about how much she likes her blonde bob and that she used to have BSL hair..and her friend had even longer hair...but it does not look good...bla bla bla.
It gets to the point where I can't follow anymore.

This is a very frequent pattern I notice.

I also agree about being unique...I had longer layered hairstyles which looked very pretty but so many young women have it right now. With a length from waist+ it just feels like something special.

joyfulmom4
October 23rd, 2008, 01:18 PM
Thats interesting, I feel the same way.

There seems to be a secret attraction to long hair even for people who claim not too like it.
And I have also gotten the story about someone else having had long hair etc.. like they want to say - "I can do it too!"

My coworker was just like that...started with telling me how long it is, then after that it is really thin, followed by a "my hair is sooo thick, I would be so heavy long", and then she usually told about how much she likes her blonde bob and that she used to have BSL hair..and her friend had even longer hair...but it does not look good...bla bla bla.
It gets to the point where I can't follow anymore.

This is a very frequent pattern I notice.

I also agree about being unique...I had longer layered hairstyles which looked very pretty but so many young women have it right now. With a length from waist+ it just feels like something special.

Yep. Exactly. I knew that there must be others here who've had that experience. I think you're right that they're trying to make the point that "I can do it too".

NotOfThisWorld
October 23rd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Yes - I know what you are talking about JoyfulMom4 and Emichiee. I think it's almost comical (a bit annoying but I try not to be annoyed) when people try to relate with "I used to have long hair" which means - their hair which is cut quite short, used to be maybe shoulder blade length... not that it was really long.... but have to tell me about why they cut their hair, or just that it used to be...

Actually I tend to think there is a bit of jealousy towards long hair by other women... which I think might be part of the "I could do it too" and the encouragement and cheers that are always raised and compliments when someone cuts their long hair, and the encouragement too. I don't think it is a conscious jealousy, but perhaps a subconscious one. They adore the beauty, like it, in a way are jealous, but personally don't want to take the time and effort, and patience. So we hear things like you all mentioned.

Robbi Dehlinger
October 23rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
If she wanted the cut, I may disagree that she should have cut it, but it IS her hair, even if I wished she had kept it long:)

BTW, can you go on these shows and then refuse to let them cut your hair? THAT would be an interesting show???

drquartz1970
October 23rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
I once watched a show called Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (or something like it) which is another make-over show and this guy with long hair who was targeted for a make-over, had one of the patronising gay guys trying to persuade him to cut it short (but he resisted this and kept it at BSL with a slight trim to his credit). I only watched it once as I found shows like this generally tasteless and pander to mainstream dominant culture ideology - ie conform to the herd mentality of how you should look.

My thoughts were that the girl with ankle-length hair probably knew what would happen if she went on the show after all it's a makeover.

Darkhorse1
October 23rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
I believe there was a Stacey and Clinton show--Ready to Wear, where someone told me they watched it and a woman walked out of the hair dresser section refusing to cut her hair. I was SO happy to hear that! No offence, but whenever they have people on make overs, they do these drastic cuts, and they are always bobs!! I remember a Makeover story at least had versitility and did longer layers on some women who wanted a cut, but not short short. To me, there's nothing wrong with having TBL hair and going to mid-back with layers. That's enough of a change.

I'd never go on a makeover show because I like my style--besides, there isn't much they can do to accesorize me at the barn :D :p

naomimcc
October 23rd, 2008, 09:26 PM
I do believe we had a fellow LHCer who was on one of 'those shows' and did refus to have her hair cut. :D I haven't seen it...but I would LOVE to. :D

As for this gal on Tyra...I LOVED the cut they did on her. It looked fantastic -- and--- she wanted it. I loved her hair long...don't get me wrong, but that short cut really made her features pop. she looked gorgeous. And while I love my long hair, I may cut it some day too. In fact I've been playing with that idea for months now. And it may just happen in the next, oh, year or three LOL!

vindo
October 24th, 2008, 10:20 PM
They have it on youtube.

Here is the first part, it leads to the rest (5 alltogether)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01Tx_tSfHQ4

vindo
October 24th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Sorry did not have the patience to watch it, all makeover candidates look like the show styled them to look extremely old or young or dolled up..you only need to watch 5 to see the comparisons.

Here is the woman everyone talks about:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb129/chieeEMIchiee/tyramakeover.jpg

I can see the difference..its called make up and bangs out of eyes...

NotOfThisWorld
October 24th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Yeah the smile helps too. heh

Robbi Dehlinger
October 25th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Hi!

I guess she looks OK with the "page boy" style....BUT

When she had ankle length hair, it made her unique and special, as long hair does all who wear it, now she is just "another woman.'

Hope that does not offend anyone, it was not meant to:)

Forever_Sophie
October 25th, 2008, 08:54 AM
If she wanted the cut, I may disagree that she should have cut it, but it IS her hair, even if I wished she had kept it long:)

BTW, can you go on these shows and then refuse to let them cut your hair? THAT would be an interesting show???

Yes, like someone said, a contributer on What Not to Wear refused. What I LOATHE about that episode was that she nominated herself! She wasn't put up to anything (as most get nominated by friends/family), didn't REFUSE the $5000, but wouldn't follow through with the makeover. I swear, if I were the producer, the contributers would sign a contract. It's a package deal - well, SUPPOSED to be.

Nick can definitely be reasonable, my fav episode was w/ Camilla, he gave her the most gorgeous, LONG, layered cut. If only I can find a pic somewhere, I'd love to have that done to my hair.

Ice~Cold~Wind
October 25th, 2008, 10:30 AM
She was stupid enough to go on that show, she paid the price.

joyfulmom4
October 27th, 2008, 03:11 PM
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb129/chieeEMIchiee/tyramakeover.jpg

I can see the difference..its called make up and bangs out of eyes...

LOL! Yes, they always do that on these shows. You want the outcome to look as dramatic as possible. They probably advised her not to trim her bangs in the weeks prior to the show so they would have enough 'material' to work with.

Also note that the light blue she's wearing makes her look washed out. And she's not smiling.

DaveDecker
October 27th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Okay, please excuse the extremely poor quality edit job... but the point comes through despite the sloppiness. I didn't even change the clothes.

Transposing only the face (smile & makeup) makes this much difference:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r108/DaveDecker/tyra_makeunder.jpg

My firm opinion: the creative geniuses behind these kinds of short haircuts are not selling an improved product... they are selling improved packaging (makeup, smiles, and lighting).

DarkChocolate
October 27th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Okay, please excuse the extremely poor quality edit job... but the point comes through despite the sloppiness. I didn't even change the clothes.

My firm opinion: the creative geniuses behind these kinds of short haircuts are not selling an improved product... they are selling improved packaging (makeup, smiles, and lighting).

I totally agree:)
That is how they do make overs unfortunately. In the before pictures the people aren't smiling but in the after pictures they are. They do the same with weight loss before and afters.
I didn't think that she looked 40. The outfit made her look older since it was so huge and such a dull color.

GlennaGirl
October 27th, 2008, 10:38 PM

WOW. Good work, Dave. And good point.

PseudoScot
October 27th, 2008, 11:17 PM
You know - I don't think anyone has mentioned the 'long hair trap'

Long hair is awesome for many. However, it can also been seen as a 'thing' or something that makes one different. That too can be good, but it can also be limiting. I'm at tailbone now, but even before then, I was often called, 'the long haired girl'. OK so I have long hair, and it's distinct and easy for people to notice, and remember. It's sort of my unique 'thing' I suppose. But how many times have I been 'the long haired girl' instead of someone bothering to remember my name? Also, people can get expectations that I'll always be 'the long hair girl' and that alone - that distinction, of a sort of status - can be cloying. Maybe I don't always want to be 'the long haired girl.'

I bet in some ways it was really freeing for her to have it cut.

sapphire-o
October 28th, 2008, 12:22 AM
It's age-defying for sure. I think her "after" picture looks like my 5 year old. :D

I think I'm developing insecurity about my thinned ends after reading this post. I know it's partially an age thing. My hair was 50% thicker when I was 20. OK so people can tell I'm not a young lady any more by looking at my fairytale ends?

ilovelonghair
October 28th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I don't see fairytale ends as an age thing. Everybody can grow fairytale ends at any age.
Funny thing is now it's mostly teenagers who have thin whispy ends (the hacked-up-hair-look they all have now).

Iphinoe
October 28th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Even though the makeup and tricks they used made it more dramatic, I think it was likely cutting her hair was a very good thing for her.

She'd never had the courage to cut it and continued her parents' caretaking of her hair, and it was her 'security blanket'. Doing or not doing things out of fear is not a good way to live. 23 is an age where you should be taking life by the horns and stretching your wings.

I had long hair when I was young, and then cut it very short, even going shaved at one point, and decided to grow it back out. I needed to a chance to experiment and discover myself and my identity.

If she grows it back out, she will be doing so by deliberate choice instead of habit or resistance to and fear of change.

noelgirl
October 28th, 2008, 06:04 AM
It's age-defying for sure. I think her "after" picture looks like my 5 year old. :D

I think I'm developing insecurity about my thinned ends after reading this post. I know it's partially an age thing. My hair was 50% thicker when I was 20. OK so people can tell I'm not a young lady any more by looking at my fairytale ends?

Fairytale ends are not an age-related thing. I had them as a teen and I don't have them now.

NotOfThisWorld
October 28th, 2008, 10:53 AM
You know - I don't think anyone has mentioned the 'long hair trap'

Long hair is awesome for many. However, it can also been seen as a 'thing' or something that makes one different. That too can be good, but it can also be limiting. I'm at tailbone now, but even before then, I was often called, 'the long haired girl'. OK so I have long hair, and it's distinct and easy for people to notice, and remember. It's sort of my unique 'thing' I suppose. But how many times have I been 'the long haired girl' instead of someone bothering to remember my name? Also, people can get expectations that I'll always be 'the long hair girl' and that alone - that distinction, of a sort of status - can be cloying. Maybe I don't always want to be 'the long haired girl.'

I've had long hair for a long time... And I am very used to and proud when someone describes me as the gal with the long hair... I guess I've never taken it as a bad thing. Something in me smiles. I guess I sort of consider it my hallmark in a way.

Chromis
October 28th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I've had long hair for a long time... And I am very used to and proud when someone describes me as the gal with the long hair... I guess I've never taken it as a bad thing. Something in me smiles. I guess I sort of consider it my hallmark in a way.

No kidding! Besides, it sure as heck beats "that girl with the big nose"

NotOfThisWorld
October 28th, 2008, 11:18 AM
LOL no kidding! Or many other descriptive words one might use when trying to point you out, or remember...

Robbi Dehlinger
October 28th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I think the smile and make WITH the long hair made her look awesome, but that is my opinion, of course?

I might still wonder how much of this was "outside peer pressure" as opposed to her desire for a change?

AnimaSola3o4
October 29th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I just thought I'd mention that this show is going to air again. I'm not sure when, tomorrow maybe. I'm watching Tyra right now and the show is being advertised in the commercials.

Robbi Dehlinger
October 29th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I will make sure to studiously avoid it:)

vindo
October 29th, 2008, 10:53 PM

LOL great edit we should send it to the TB Show ;)

Robbi Dehlinger
October 29th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Hey! Let's have fun and send Tyra pix of all the ladies and men here with knee lngth plus hair?

I dunno if they would think it was funny, but I sure would:)

florenonite
October 30th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Hey! Let's have fun and send Tyra pix of all the ladies and men here with knee lngth plus hair?

I dunno if they would think it was funny, but I sure would:)

So would I, because I've got a cruel sense of humour like that :P

Dolly
October 30th, 2008, 06:58 AM
I think your edited pic tells the whole story......if the "subject" would see that, she would probably cry for days.....cut all that gorgeous hair, when it really wasn't necessary.....

Robbi Dehlinger
October 30th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Well, it will take her about 7 years to get it back, so happy growing!:)

Chromis
October 30th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Well, it will take her about 7 years to get it back, so happy growing!:)

Er, that would be some astoundingly fast growing!

Robbi Dehlinger
October 30th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I dunno?

She could go from her page boy to ankle length in 7 years? It would probably look scarggly, but I think it would be doable???

:)

Chromis
October 30th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I dunno?

She could go from her page boy to ankle length in 7 years? It would probably look scarggly, but I think it would be doable???

:)

I've been growing mine out from bald for almost that long and am nowhere near ankle-length. Granted she's got a pageboy, but even if she never trimmed, knee would be pretty optimistic, I'm almost at classic.

PseudoScot
October 30th, 2008, 09:01 PM

Me too, and I wasn't suggesting that it's always a 'trap.' It can be something one is locked into, though.

longhairedfairy
October 30th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Me too, and I wasn't suggesting that it's always a 'trap.' It can be something one is locked into, though.

One can be locked into fashion, too;)

Magicknthenight
October 30th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Part 1 didn't work.
Part 2- When they showed the girl with shorter hair they thought she was like 50. i didn't think so. she doesn't really look that old O__O
and all the audience gasping like its CRAZY!
Skipped a little and heard short bob. They could have left it at waist :D
Look on the positive side! Maybe she will like having shorter hair. Try new things with it..and if she ever decides to grow it back out she has a fresh start ^-^ Bet she doesn't have any split ends now
Skipping to the last video..
It looks good and she seems happy about it. Even if she decides to grow her hair out once more this experience will help her realize how much she cherishes it. :)

Robbi Dehlinger
October 31st, 2008, 12:01 AM
Hi!

I still think she made a mistake, but then, I am a "long hair fanatic" anyway:)

littlemiss
October 31st, 2008, 01:26 AM
This is what nightmares are made of I cant read anymore :scared:

Laylah
July 17th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I would be very depressed if that happened to me... but I'm too attached to my long hair. I have a friend who grows her hair out to almost BSL and then cuts it to a bob every year to donate. (not to worry, it's not locks of love.)

ericthegreat
July 17th, 2009, 10:36 PM
I saw this particular show. Now normally I really couldn't give two sh*** about what anyone else does with their hair(as long as they don't come at me with their scissors), but I could clearly see that this girl DID NOT want to cut her hair or at least did not want to cut it that unbelievably short especially since she's been growing her hair for her entire life and has never had short hair. Her fiancee was clearly the one who was pushing her into it, and clearly after the ridiculous Katie Holmes cut they gave her she was mortified. I really felt terrible for her.

RavennaNight
July 17th, 2009, 10:57 PM
:brains: This thread! It's back from the dead! :lol:

HisForever
July 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM
okay so I did my search and found the clip to that show. OMG all they really needed to do was trim her hair and put some makeup on her. Jeez, at least just trim to hips instead of cut it all off. I admit, she looked very cute with that makeover but still. She did not look 40 and I hate how everyone thinks that long hair = older. A lot of women look sexier to a man with longer hair.

krissykins
July 17th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I remember this particular episode. This was before I had the goal to grow my hair out, but I was still upset about it. Her hair was beautiful! I didn't think it was so much her hair that made her look older as her skin. She just needed a little makeup. But of course, the Tyra Banks show wants to create drama :rolleyes:

florenonite
July 18th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I saw this particular show. Now normally I really couldn't give two sh*** about what anyone else does with their hair(as long as they don't come at me with their scissors), but I could clearly see that this girl DID NOT want to cut her hair or at least did not want to cut it that unbelievably short especially since she's been growing her hair for her entire life and has never had short hair. Her fiancee was clearly the one who was pushing her into it, and clearly after the ridiculous Katie Holmes cut they gave her she was mortified. I really felt terrible for her.

It makes you wonder why he's her fiancé, eh? If my boyfriend pushed me to cut my hair, he wouldn't be my boyfriend much longer, much as I love him.

Vrushali
July 18th, 2009, 10:50 AM
It makes you wonder why he's her fiancé, eh? If my boyfriend pushed me to cut my hair, he wouldn't be my boyfriend much longer, much as I love him.

I second that!!!

LittleOrca
July 18th, 2009, 10:51 AM

Agreed.

Thankfully, mine loves my long hair.

pdy2kn6
July 18th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I admit she did look much older than she was but that was more because of her face IMO. I think that if they had put the same makeup she got when she had her short bob done and an updo on the woman she would of looked so much younger as well without touching her hair at all with scissors. I absolutely loved her fairytale hair. It was stunning. Her fiance must of liked it which is why he chose to start dating her in the first place. I do like Tyra but I have to criticise her...she didn't even get all the hair strands when she was cutting it off, some strands where not even contained in the ponytail. Poor woman. I hope she doesn't regret her life changing decision!!

dorothea-brooke
July 18th, 2009, 12:21 PM
okay so I did my search and found the clip to that show.<snip>

Does anyone have a link? I somehow missed this thread first time around, and now I'm all curious. :drama: (Not to see the cut, of course, cause the very idea is horrifying, but to see the ankle-length hair! :))

dorothea-brooke
July 18th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Okay, I found the link, in case anyone else is looking: video here (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x77d0r_tyra-banks-show-long-hair-makeover_lifestyle).

Wow, that was worse than I thought it would be. They could have cut her back to TB or even waist, given her some long layers and make-up tips and she would have been beautiful and still a long-hair!

:wail:

Shadow Walker
July 18th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Pfft... amusing how she clearly wasn't wearing makeup before the cut, and wearing some clothes that were not all that flattering. If she had makeup on and some better clothes, she would have looked amazing, there was no need to cut her hair.

demitasse
July 18th, 2009, 12:44 PM
It's hard to have too much sympathy for her. Everyone knows what happens on these makeover shows. If you don't want your hair cut, don't sign up for it. Obviously chopping off ankle-length hair is good television.

Chanterelle
July 18th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Okay, I found the link, in case anyone else is looking: video here (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x77d0r_tyra-banks-show-long-hair-makeover_lifestyle)
Thanks for the link.

IMHO she does look 10 times better with this short cut. Well, her clothes before the makeover were unflattering but I honestly think long hair didn't look good on her.

Dementia1013
July 18th, 2009, 02:16 PM
See that's just irritating to me. I just watched the clip and she obviously didn't want to do it. Not only that, but they could have given her a makeover and kept her long hair and she would have looked her age.

Notice in the beginning she had very modest clothes and looked like no makeup on. They could have put her hair up with some great hair sticks and did the makeup and clothing and she would have looked her age.

I wish for once there would be a show that just focused on makeup and clothing and at the request of the one getting the makeover would leave hair alone.

Her hair cut was supposed to make her look younger, but it was so hard and straight and unforgiving I think she looked older.

And honestly... She didn't look 40 to me, though I am used to seeing the young repunzels that we have on here, so that's probably why. :D

wintersun99
July 18th, 2009, 02:36 PM

skay
July 18th, 2009, 02:37 PM
She looks great here:

http://www.lakecityreporter.com/articles/2008/10/18/news/doc48f97c070ad61464536826.txt

RavennaNight
July 18th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I think her hair was beautiful.

invisiblebabe
July 18th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I do love long hair :) but I didn't think it looked good on her. The color was way too drab with her complexion, and it did drag her face down. She has a more mature looking face to begin with, so she needs to take extra care in order to look her age, IMO.

That said, I don't think they needed to go as short as they did. APL with long layers, bangs swept to the side (with the intention of growing them out some - IMO the bangs aged her too), and a combination of highlights and lowlights would've looked lovely.

HeatherLarsen
July 18th, 2009, 03:02 PM
My stomach hurts looking at the sh*tty haircut she received.

RavennaNight
July 18th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Yeah, as far as quality of haircut, it left much to be desired. It doesn't look like a real slick pro-hair for TV job they did on her. Or it just doesn't suit her face or something. It makes her awkward looking.

aksown
July 18th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I wonder just how many of these "made-over" people actually stick with their new self. And did you notice the forced smiles on their faces? I don't think they were as thrilled as Tyra wishes they was.

Vrushali
July 18th, 2009, 03:09 PM
She looks great here:

She looks so young in this pic. Her clothes make her look a little older on the show but noway does she look 40! What were they thinking!:mad:

RavennaNight
July 18th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I really think it was the clothes. She was wearing such a dowdy old lady outfit before her makeover. It wasn't like the jeans and tshirt above. I wonder if those clothe were even hers or if the show made her wear them for added "old" effect.

ladylibra
July 18th, 2009, 07:03 PM
She looks great here:

She looks much better in this picture than on the show! Those dowdy clothes... :mad: and her hair looked kinda dry. Don't wanna sound mean but... it did almost seem like she was being made to look older with dingy hair.

I would've guessed she was close to 30 (certainly not over) by her appearance on Tyra. In this pic, she looks like she's in her early-20's and just happens to have long hair.

Alia
July 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM
In the before, she had that godawful mother-of-the-bride outfit in a non-color that made her look undead, no cosmetics, and her hair was unstyled--so she looked pretty crappy. The after made her look rather like those hard, brittle older 'society' ladies and way older. Her skin was the only thing that really looked nicer, to me. :shrug:

Natalia
July 18th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Ugh :mad: .... i cant even watch those shows anymore. The last one i quit wathing was rachel ray. Its a food show for gods sake im sick of watching people being harrassed into a "stylish" haircut! I just avoid them now. If they really wanted to cut their hair they should have a say in it not some stylist saying this is what would look best. And by best i mean the fasion trend till your next trim if your lucky. Grrrr......

krissykins
July 19th, 2009, 08:41 PM
She looks great here:

Near the end of the article it says:

Holt said that she donated her hair to Locks of Love, a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 18 who suffer from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis.

:mad: This only makes it more sad.

florenonite
July 19th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Near the end of the article it says:

Holt said that she donated her hair to Locks of Love, a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 18 who suffer from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis.

:mad: This only makes it more sad.

At least it doesn't say "they give wigs to kids with cancer". I don't know that the "long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis" is correct, though; I think their website says it has to be permanent hair loss, and surely cancer could cause long-term hair loss.

Flynn
July 19th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Hey-y-y... you know, I think this one is a special case. She hadn't cut her hair ever in her life because she was scared to do so. Maybe the spin (OMG You look forty!) was wrong, but the actual cutting... probably not a bad thing, if it took national television to help her get over a fear of haircuts.

LisaJaney
July 19th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I watched the link Dorothea has given, and I think part of what made her look so much older were the dark circles under her eyes (no make-up). And hair that long? Many people have NO CLUE how long it would take to grow it that long, so may have assumed "My hair wouldn't get that long for 20 years..." and figured she'd HAD haircuts in the past, and just added years that weren't there but were easy to support given the whole "Rumplestiltskin" thing of "how long WOULD it take to grow ankle-length hair and the coloration around her eyes. Some people's genes just make them look older than they are, just like other people's genes make them look babyfaced forever. :shrug:

She did cry when they were cutting it (it was particularly cruel/stupid to make the fiance cut the hair -- why give a young couple a REASON to have something to hold against each other? "You cut my hair that day!" It seemed bullying to do that. How the heck is he supposed to say NO on the show? He's pressured to do it, Tyra is pushy anyhow...don't get me started on "why is SHE telling anyone how to dress/make-up, her with her Mimi Bobeck blue eyeshadow) Anyhow, rant-over, the girl was scared about her first haircut. I remember being scared about mine in 6th grade, too.

In the end, the girl KNEW going in what would happen, and in the end of the show, she said SHE LOVED IT. And I think it DID look better on her, and the makeup helped a ton, too. It was a cute 'do, that bob she had, and it suited her face. And if she doesn't like it, my bet is that her hair's probably gonna keep on growing til the day she dies, so she'll have opportunity to grow it out again. But for NOW, she said she loved it, so I'm happy for her. Her fiance seemed happy with it. She looked adorable, IMO, so of course HE wouldn't complain.

The ONLY thing that bothered me about the whole thing (she is an adult, made her decision, and I respect that) was that they had HIM cut her hair. IF she ever has "buyer's remorse", she's gonna blame him for playing a part, and THAT is something Tyra should have NEVER introduced to that relationship: something she could bring up against him)

Seriously, though, what IS the deal with Tyra's makeup and hair?

Debra83
July 20th, 2009, 02:24 AM
It's weird how Tyra has longish hair, but all the makeovers seem to get way short.

It's weird how they put her at an average of 40, especially as most of society seems to think women that age should have short hair.

In life, you always get people who are not very good at guessing age or relationships.

I honestly feel that the hairstyle didn't suit her or her lifestyle (the new haircut I'm talking about), or her age. I think it makes her look older. I think they could have done something in the middle that suited her, and given her new clothes to bring her into her age group better.

free_hug
July 20th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Back to the Tyra Show topic: here's a transformaton pic:
http://tyrashow.warnerbros.com/hair_makeover_before_after.jpg

From this article:
http://tyrashow.warnerbros.com/2009/05/hair_transformation.php

I hope it's not the same girl on the first image, btw.

free_hug
July 20th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Well, this is ridiculous :(

course i live in Eastern Europe so what do i know of this show, but this girl is beautiful in the first place, and getting her more put together, putting on lovely and flattering clothes and a good make-up makes the difference, not giving her a bob O_o
And the audience... what on earth makes people think that a badly dressed 20 year old is actually 40? They think dressing up in a less flattering way comes with age??? And they start wooooing in awe when it turns out that a young girl in an ugly costume is really a young girl O_O

Well, in fact the bob is cute too, but i'm still very much against making people cry on public in silly commercial shows :/ And true, why such a radical cut? Say they totally insist on cutting, going to classic would be quite a change already.

Okay, her hair, her life, her choice, so rant better be over here.

DarkChocolate
July 20th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Okay, I found the link, in case anyone else is looking: video here (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x77d0r_tyra-banks-show-long-hair-makeover_lifestyle).

Wow, that was worse than I thought it would be. They could have cut her back to TB or even waist, given her some long layers and make-up tips and she would have been beautiful and still a long-hair!

:wail:

I totally agree. If I was a makeover specialist I would have cut to tailbone:)

I thought that Tyra was being evil when she was giggling and saying that it was fun. I would have dumped that guy as my fiance because he obviously didn't like her hair.

jivete
July 20th, 2009, 07:47 AM

From this article:

Wow. That is just awful.

ZadenWillowfyre
July 20th, 2009, 08:50 AM
That is definatly a drastic change. I would be crying and just devistated. She may have needed a change though...who knows. I always hate it when they hate against long hair on TV makeover shows.

Nightshade
July 20th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Just my :twocents:, but shows like this thrive off of attention, and I think we actually had someone from the show trying to solicit members on here to come on their show.

The less attention paid to them, in any form, the sooner they'll move onto other topics.

It doesn't matter that it's negative attention, it's still attention which = ratings for them. If you don't approve, don't watch it, and don't fuel others to go check it out.

blondecat
July 20th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Just my :twocents:, but shows like this thrive off of attention, and I think we actually had someone from the show trying to solicit members on here to come on their show.

The less attention paid to them, in any form, the sooner they'll move onto other topics.

It doesn't matter that it's negative attention, it's still attention which = ratings for them. If you don't approve, don't watch it, and don't fuel others to go check it out.

Wow, when was that person here ?

And what did they say ?

florenonite
July 20th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Well, in fact the bob is cute too, but i'm still very much against making people cry on public in silly commercial shows :/ And true, why such a radical cut? Say they totally insist on cutting, going to classic would be quite a change already.

Okay, her hair, her life, her choice, so rant better be over here.

She said in an article posted that she'd wanted to cut because she'd never cut before, which makes sense, but to me it seems silly to cut it so short all at once. I've cut my hair plenty of times, but never above shoulder-length, and even if I wasn't actively growing I'd still feel nervous about getting a bob. In her position, I would have preferred to cut it to hip and gotten long layers and maybe some colour (still a radical change), and then gradually gone shorter if I didn't regret it. To cut it all off at once is just cruel, IMO.

Nightshade
July 20th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Wow, when was that person here ?

And what did they say ?

I don't remember, honestly, but it was awhile ago. It was just some stupid spam post for "OMG Long haired ladies needed for make over show" or some crap like that.

enfys
July 20th, 2009, 11:50 AM
She knew it was coming, but I think she wanted it. I'd never call my hair a security blanket, I don't see as something to hide behind like that.

As for her fiance cutting it off, well that'll most likely come up in every row or bad hair day. Of which there will be many. It won't look that good every morning. Also that is going to be hard to dress up all pretty for a wedding; they even described it as gamine. They'll either be together forever or they've already seperated.

I'd never go on a makeover show like that. Not that I'd need to with my superflattering great sense of style...

sweet*things
July 20th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Wow. The girl in that second "makeover" went from absolutely stunning to completely average.:(

DMARTINEZ
July 20th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Lord, who even watches this craptastic show anyway?

Deb

BranwenWolf
July 20th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Before I opened the thread I figured they had cut it into something ugly. That makes me so angry.

Why in dog's name do ALL of the makeover stylists cut it into a bob? Half the living world has that haircut already! I don't care if it's supposedly flattering, I have a huge head and don't need fat, short hair.

Tyra is such an ignoramus I can't watch that show. Actually, the only girly talk show I can stand is Ellen.

earthdancer
July 20th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Wow. The girl in that second "makeover" went from absolutely stunning to completely average.:(

I agree; that girl was beautiful before; the after makes me think of Melanie Griffith's "before" style in the 80's movie Working Girl. So they made her look like an 80's "before" picture on purpose?!!:rolleyes:

DarkChocolate
July 20th, 2009, 02:53 PM

From this article:

I thought this transformation was awful!!! She looked so much better with long hair. That perm with the frizzy curls is awful too. What 'stylist' would have thought that looked good?

slz
July 20th, 2009, 02:58 PM
It's hard to have too much sympathy for her. Everyone knows what happens on these makeover shows. If you don't want your hair cut, don't sign up for it. Obviously chopping off ankle-length hair is good television.

Haven't read everything so maybe someone already said what I'm going to say : I DO have lots of sympathy for her cause to me all through this horrible experience she looks like a VICTIM. She cries when they cut her hair ! That's horrendous. So vile, what they can do to make some audience. To me this show is all about humiliation. I hope she dumped the <insert ugly insult here, I know no harsh one enough in english> right when she exited the show.
Oh and BTW, having a makeover done by someone with make up as thick as a stolen car and hair so full of spray it looks like a helmet is waaayyyy beyond irony.

earthdancer
July 20th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Haven't read everything so maybe someone already said what I'm going to say : I DO have lots of sympathy for her cause to me all through this horrible experience she looks like a VICTIM. She cries when they cut her hair ! That's horrendous. So vile, what they can do to make some audience. To me this show is all about humiliation. I hope she dumped the <insert ugly insult here, I know no harsh one enough in english> right when she exited the show.
Oh and BTW, having a makeover done by someone with make up as thick as a stolen car and hair so full of spray it looks like a helmet is waaayyyy beyond irony.

I agree, she was victimized, mainly by her fiance who was plainly the instigator, and he's the one who cut her hair at shoulder-blade length. I was sick looking at the smirk on his face. It shouted "control freak" to me and I hope she wakes up before she takes those wedding vows. I've seen it far too often.:(

Chrissy
July 21st, 2009, 06:04 AM
All of these shows ALWAYS cut the long hair ALWAYS!!! So I'm sure she knew what she was getting into when she went. I do however believe that they would try and make her look horrible before. I haven't seen the clip yet but I know that they probably left it uncombed or messy or whatever.

I hope she's happy with it. I know every time I have cut my long hair I have cried. I've done it several times. STOOPID!!! I'm not doing it again. It's a horrible feeling sitting in that stylists chair. I never want to feel like that again. :)

Robbi Dehlinger
July 21st, 2009, 11:27 AM
Unfortunately, because Tyra is a draw, people watch this crap??

Thank goodness for LHC and all the LOVELY longhaired people here!

Eireann
July 21st, 2009, 11:48 AM
I think it's all a plot by Tyra to get hair for her wigs.

spidermom
July 21st, 2009, 11:59 AM
I was disgusted with my hair and looking for something new online one day and came across the clip of this show. I thought the hair didn't look very well-cared-for before the cut, but ACK! In my mind, they took a bad thing and made it much worse. Waist-length with long layers would have been enough of a change, I think.

Caldonia Sun
July 21st, 2009, 12:00 PM
I haven't watched it, but would not the girl have to freely agree to 1) be on the show and 2) allow the cut to take place? Are these guests not offered money to appear on such a show? If so, why feel sorry for her and consider her a victim. Somewhere, sometime she had to agree to something, probably in writing.

enfys
July 21st, 2009, 12:01 PM
I think it's all a plot by Tyra to get hair for her wigs.

She did actually joke that as she waved the trophy about a bit...

florenonite
July 21st, 2009, 12:58 PM
I haven't watched it, but would not the girl have to freely agree to 1) be on the show and 2) allow the cut to take place? Are these guests not offered money to appear on such a show? If so, why feel sorry for her and consider her a victim. Somewhere, sometime she had to agree to something, probably in writing.

She did agree to cut her hair, she wanted to do it and she wanted to do it on a show. That doesn't mean she wanted to lose virtually all her hair, though. Maybe she had anticipated something closer to waist length until she got on the show.

horseprincess
July 21st, 2009, 03:18 PM
I think its horrible how they put clothing on her to make her look much older in the before picture, but still I don't think she looks 40!

I think she looks good in both styles of hair, (though I would prefer the longer length if I was her). If I was the makeover stylist I would have just cut off to about classic to strengthen the ends, because the hair wasn't in the best shape, trimmed her bangs into a new style, and given layers to add body because her hair wasn't that thick.

I also think this is sad proof of what is going on in mainstream society. We live in a society where it isn't cool not to wear brand name clothes, wear hair in the latest style, pile on the make up, dye hair all the time, have perfectly sun tanned skin, plastic surgery etc, etc...
We need to learn to embrace natural beauty! =]

Darkhorse1
July 21st, 2009, 03:23 PM
A friend of mine on the west coast, who is six feet tall with floor length hair was pestered by the Tyra banks show to do a makeover. She politely declined, and they had the nerve to email her saying 'it'll grow back'. WTF?? NO means NO! I couldn't believe how insistant they were!!

It's for ratings. Makeover shows are nortoriously the highest rated shows for any talk show.

What I hate? They make the long haired people SO short, yet all the fashion models use extensions! Hello?? Why not be creative! Do long layers, keep it to waist length and add some fun braids/twists etc.

To me, those hair dressers lack creativity and don't know how to style hair that is longer than a bob! Like on Stacey and Clinton what not to wear. That hair dresser ALWAYS does bobs!!!!

florenonite
July 21st, 2009, 03:27 PM
A friend of mine on the west coast, who is six feet tall with floor length hair was pestered by the Tyra banks show to do a makeover. She politely declined, and they had the nerve to email her saying 'it'll grow back'. WTF?? NO means NO! I couldn't believe how insistant they were!!

It'll grow back ... in twelve years. Additionally, in saying "it'll grow back", it implies that they know she doesn't want to cut her hair but will cut it anyways to get good ratings.

thankyousir74
July 21st, 2009, 03:31 PM

That's actually one of the worst things I've heard regarding this subject. That's just bad....

storytellerzero
July 21st, 2009, 04:06 PM
On this issue of long hair aging you. . .in my opinion there are a good number of people who have long hair who do not care for it and it is in poor condition. Also, many people with long hair do not do much in the way of styling with it, maybe because it is a lot of work. (I know I'm one:p) Cutting the hair and styling in various ways, sometimes extreme, can camouflage and flatter certain shapes in the features, head and sometimes even balance out the proportions of the body. It can also communicate an attitude or tone. Long hair worn down, especial straight, is somewhat stark to the eye and provides a minimal face frame with no shape camouflage.

This is why I feel that long hair worn down is more demanding of the features, and this can sometimes translate to the viewer as age. Also, very long hair is uncommon and may make people feel uncomfortable as they usually are with things that are "different" and it may look even cultish or antiquated to some. Standing out in our society is usually accepted when it is done is typical ways and long hair still seems to be on the peripheral of that.

I saw the woman mentioned on the Tyra Banks show and if I recall correctly, she had never had her hair short. Now, I think that every long hair appreciator should experience that to round out their perceptions, but such a drastic change before a stress like a marriage was unwise. Too many string and sudden forces can break a person.

Beatnik Guy
July 21st, 2009, 06:06 PM
Also, very long hair is uncommon and may make people feel uncomfortable as they usually are with things that are "different" and it may look even cultish or antiquated to some.
Right. It's much less disconcerting for them if other people allow themselves to be assimilated into the hair mainstream and stop being so weird. :rolleyes:

longhairedfairy
July 21st, 2009, 08:41 PM
Right. It's much less disconcerting for them if other people allow themselves to be assimilated into the hair mainstream and stop being so weird. :rolleyes:
OH MY GOSH, we're a bunch of freaks!:p

Fiferstone
July 21st, 2009, 08:49 PM
Then I'm letting my freak flag fly. :cheese: Curse these "makeover" shows. I confess I watch "what not to wear" -- to get ideas from the "befores" about funky things to wear. I'm evil that way:eyebrows:

juliaxena
July 22nd, 2009, 12:25 AM
Bob lenghth is a bit short...but I fail to see why there is a need for ankle lenghth. I think you guys here with waist or classic lenghth have the best hair.

slz
July 22nd, 2009, 01:05 AM
What do you mean "a need" ?? There's no "need" for any hair at all, if you want to go this way.

juliaxena
July 22nd, 2009, 03:37 AM
There is some need for hair. UV rays, cold...for those allergic to sunscreens lol. I meant I dont't find hair that long as an ornament anymore. More as an inconvenience. It must be hard to manage. But that's just my opinion. Not meaning to insult anyone.

free_hug
July 22nd, 2009, 03:56 AM
There is some need for hair. UV rays, cold...for those allergic to sunscreens lol. I meant I dont't find hair that long as an ornament anymore. More as an inconvenience. It must be hard to manage. But that's just my opinion. Not meaning to insult anyone.

Yeah, sure, the point here is not that she needed that hair nor does it necessarily mean that she was unquestionably more beautiful with it. But even if she signed some agreement and got money for going to this show, and even if her hair was very, very long before the cut, i don't think anybody really agrees that
(1) either she needed to start out her cutting/maintaining hair life with such a radical cut, or
(2) making her do this in public, making her cry on public and actually behaving with her in a pretty humiliating way for looking the way she does is really necessary.
Tyra and the whole audience is just mean to her, in a pretty cruel way. Honestly. And they feel totally justified, because she's "ugly" and "looks older".

Btw, I too had the impression that she was dressed up particularly ugly for the "before" part, that this is not even her own style but something artificially awful to make the makeover look better.

Fethenwen
July 22nd, 2009, 04:35 AM
Then I'm letting my freak flag fly. :cheese: Curse these "makeover" shows. I confess I watch "what not to wear" -- to get ideas from the "befores" about funky things to wear. I'm evil that way:eyebrows:
Yeah, that's the way to do it :p

Speckla
July 22nd, 2009, 05:06 AM

Come and view me for two weeks...you'll get plenty of ideas. You might even nominate me.lol. :cheese: Nick ain't gettin' his hands on my curls!:mad:

Dark40
October 30th, 2019, 08:15 PM
I agree with plainjanegirl. Why on these makeover shows they always want to cut long hair? I don't think long makes you look aged. I thought that they've always said that long hair makes you look younger?! That's why I never go to the hairdressers or salons. Because, when you go, and tell them you only want a trim they trim off a hell of a lot more than you've requested, and that's why I also don't go to makeover shows.

Groovy Granny
October 30th, 2019, 09:10 PM
I agree with plainjanegirl. Why on these makeover shows they always want to cut long hair? I don't think long makes you look aged. I thought that they've always said that long hair makes you look younger?! That's why I never go to the hairdressers or salons. Because, when you go, and tell them you only want a trim they trim off a hell of a lot more than you've requested, and that's why I also don't go to makeover shows.

Man you raised this thread from the dead :lol:

But I remember that episode when it aired...very sad...for all it's meaning; there are too many other shows like it :(

Mod note: no forced cut videos! Hair cut videos can only be posted if they are demonstrating a style technique.

ETA: Please accept my sincere apology; I rarely post videos and had no idea (forgot rules read 6+ years ago)....but should have known better. GG :(

lapis_lazuli
October 30th, 2019, 09:28 PM
Yep. I also remember seeing this around when it came out. It disturbed me then and I never forgot it. I don't have the guts to play it through :nono:

linvie
October 31st, 2019, 12:47 AM
saw the title of this thread and felt curious, but now that i'm here i feel too nervous to actually play that video lol!

Begemot
October 31st, 2019, 04:52 AM
This was the first time I saw this video. That was so creepy! Especially how Tyra hovers behind her, holds her head when she's crying and talks her into cutting her hair :( "You deserve to look 23" okay... And that hairstylist man or whoever with his professional opinions :rolleyes: super long hair makes you look "not so clean"?? The cuckoo clocks gave me chuckle though.

eresh
October 31st, 2019, 09:37 AM
I really really hate makeover shows.
The ALWAYS cut long hair short(er).
WHY!!!!

So who made this girl participate in this, if she didn't want it cut....
She could have refused.

eresh
October 31st, 2019, 09:38 AM
This was the first time I saw this video. That was so creepy! Especially how Tyra hovers behind her, holds her head when she's crying and talks her into cutting her hair :( "You deserve to look 23" okay... And that hairstylist man or whoever with his professional opinions :rolleyes: super long hair makes you look "not so clean"?? The cuckoo clocks gave me chuckle though.

I can't see the video, maybe it has to do with my location.
But from reading this, I don't want to see it.
That's just terrible!

lapushka
October 31st, 2019, 11:31 AM
I can't see the video, maybe it has to do with my location.
But from reading this, I don't want to see it.
That's just terrible!

I can apparently see it just fine, eresh, but... I'm not going to watch it! For sure. I don't wanna. LOL!

Groovy Granny
October 31st, 2019, 11:33 AM
Edited:I have decided against further comment on this disturbing topic.

neko_kawaii
October 31st, 2019, 11:38 AM
Mod note: Hair cut video removed. You guys know better. (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/misc.php?do=showrules)

4. Post Content Since minors are allowed to be members at TLHC, a “PG-13 rating” standard applies. Violent/sexual language, dating/sexual propositions, profanity, nude images and links to them, haircutting (except styling illustrations), pornographic or ****** videos/sites are all prohibited.

Groovy Granny
October 31st, 2019, 11:45 AM
Mod note: Hair cut video removed. You guys know better. (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/misc.php?do=showrules)

OOPS...I am so sorry; it didn't even cross my mind except to link the video they were talking about :(
I rarely post videos, had a senior moment, and read those rules 6 years ago :doh:

It won't be forgotten going forward :flower:

Leaving the discussion; too cringe worthy.

neko_kawaii
October 31st, 2019, 11:51 AM
It is an easy one to forget, no worries. I just wanted to make sure everyone had a chance to see the reminder so I have (in theory) fewer videos to remove in the future.

Dark40
October 31st, 2019, 12:53 PM
Man you raised this thread from the dead :lol:

But I remember that episode when it aired...very sad...for all it's meaning; there are too many other shows like it :(

Mod note: no forced cut videos! Hair cut videos can only be posted if they are demonstrating a style technique.

ETA: Please accept my sincere apology; I rarely post videos and had no idea (forgot rules read 6+ years ago)....but should have known better. GG :(

I bet I had brought this thread back from the dead :lol:

I never saw the video, and I don't want to. I don't post videos on here.

eresh
October 31st, 2019, 05:08 PM
I can apparently see it just fine, eresh, but... I'm not going to watch it! For sure. I don't wanna. LOL!

I was clicking the link in the first page.
I didn't see that it was an old topic :o

lapushka
October 31st, 2019, 05:25 PM
I was clicking the link in the first page.
I didn't see that it was an old topic :o

Yes sometimes these old topics just pop up out of nowhere. LOL!

CuteCrow
October 31st, 2019, 05:58 PM
I looked it up... She definitely looks older with the bob! like it's basically what I often heard being called a "mom-cut" (sorry if it's derogatory, I'm not sure in which context this is used) and she looked nowhere near 40 IMHO. I don't see it wrong cutting her hair, it seems like it's something she uses as to stay on her comfort zone BUT they should have talked it to her thoroughly before, be sure this is what SHE wants and not that she's being coerced to do it. I don't know why but I feel like her husband/family/friends are the ones who convinced her to go to that program but she wasn't really aware how drastic the "makeovers" are.
In my opinion the definitely didn't look like she was comfortable with her hair that long, but it may have been just being camera shy, if she really wanted a hair cut I think anything from fingertip to waist length would have been drastic enough for a change and "looking younger" in that lines maybe some curling, colour, and as it has been said here I think the main things that makes her look older are her clothes and the fringe.

Dark40
October 31st, 2019, 09:23 PM
I also just looked this video up too. I did not like the new hair cut on her. I think it was her clothes that made her look older. Not her hair. Her hair was beautiful at that length. These hairstylists these days are always looking to go shorter.