PDA

View Full Version : ACV & lemon/citric acid rinses, the good & the bad!

lapushka
April 25th, 2016, 04:45 AM
I always thought they *only* served to bring down the pH level after an alkaline soap. They are 0 help in clarifying the hair from product build-up (you need a sulfate shampoo for that). So if they bring down the pH after a normal shampoo, then your pH then is too low, no?

So what's their use? I often wonder about this.

I used to do a lemon rinse, but gave that up after I didn't see results (and well, it dried my hair out).

school of fish
April 25th, 2016, 06:29 AM
Acidic rinses are a big hit for me - provided they're extremely diluted. I couldn't give you the definitive science behind it (nor do I have the bandwidth to look into it in any depth - too much going on in my life ;) ) but I can definitely share my own observations, experiences, and reasons as to why I personally use them :)

What I use: approx 1/2 a teaspoon of lemon juice diluted in about 8oz of water. It's so diluted that if I get it in my eyes I barely feel it. I have used ACV and coffee in place of lemon juice with equally good results, but choose lemon juice because it leaves no lingering scent. I wash daily and use this as my final rinse after every wash (without rinsing out with water) whether it's a CO day or an S&C day - so every wash, every day.

What it does for me: it greatly assists with detangling, both damp after the shower and dry throughout the day. It also keeps my strands from roping up so much and looking 'piecey' - which is actually the main reason I started trying this out in the first place. I wear my hair down most of the time and was searching the board for solutions to the pieciness that my hair is prone to - acidic rinses came up fairly consistently as a successful solution for many others with similar hairtypes as mine. :) I also find that tangling is greatly reduced so I don't have to detangle as often throughout the day, and that each time I use my TangleTeezer it gives me that shiny 'silk waterfall' effect that I love!

Why I think it may work for me: here's where it becomes pure conjecture on my part, but these are a few possibilities I've considered as to why this has been a good addition to my routine - it may be one of these, a combination of these, or some other reason(s) I haven't yet considered ;)
- perhaps the rinse acts as a water softener/counteracts the mineral content in our local water supply.
- perhaps it adjusts the ph slightly to a more optimal level.
- it possibly smooths the cuticle down so reduces friction and increases glide.
- maybe it helps to rinse clear any minute amounts of conditioner remaining after the wash.

At the end of the day I'm a pragmatist sort, so I don't really feel a burning need to know *why* something works - just so long as it *does* work ;) And I'm perfectly willing to ditch it if I ever find it stops working for me. And of course, as with all things hair, what works for me may be disastrous for someone else :)

In any case, having shared my reasons for and success with acidic rinses, maybe one of the more sciency types around here could shed some light on the 'whys' of it all, haha!

I'm interested to hear others' takes on it - great topic! :D

Anya15
April 25th, 2016, 09:58 AM
I did lemon rinse once...and my hair went from 2b/2c to 1b/1c until the next wash. :bigeyes: Never did a lemon rinse again after that...

Kimberly
April 25th, 2016, 04:16 PM
I use the ACV because the water here is very hard and I use shampoo bars. Without the ACV, I get mineral build-up in my hair, the same as the mineral deposits in the bottom of the kettle. I use ACV to clean that, too.

If I don't use the ACV, at first my hair will seem thicker and it will take seemingly forever to get greasy -- I can go as long as maybe two weeks between washes. But if I brush, white powder will snow down from my hair and my brush will clog with it. The build-up also makes my hair dry and tangly. The more washes I do without the ACV, the more exaggerated these things become. Eventually, my hair will end up straight, dull, and like straw. My skin doesn't do well without the ACV, either (I rinse my face when I do my hair).

This is not typical, though. My water is very hard -- it comes from a spring-fed stream just the next branch downstream of here. I mean, there's a cave I can see right from my window with a spring running from in it. It's karstic geology, with rain filtered through acidic redwood-laden soil and dripping through stone to feed the local water system. When I travel, I don't need the ACV. :-)

HeartofHaleth
April 25th, 2016, 04:51 PM
I love ACV rinses, but I have no idea why my hair likes them so much. Sorry, no information here! :D

Chromis
April 25th, 2016, 06:36 PM
I use the ACV because the water here is very hard and I use shampoo bars. Without the ACV, I get mineral build-up in my hair, the same as the mineral deposits in the bottom of the kettle. I use ACV to clean that, too.

If I don't use the ACV, at first my hair will seem thicker and it will take seemingly forever to get greasy -- I can go as long as maybe two weeks between washes. But if I brush, white powder will snow down from my hair and my brush will clog with it. The build-up also makes my hair dry and tangly. The more washes I do without the ACV, the more exaggerated these things become. Eventually, my hair will end up straight, dull, and like straw. My skin doesn't do well without the ACV, either (I rinse my face when I do my hair).

This is not typical, though. My water is very hard -- it comes from a spring-fed stream just the next branch downstream of here. I mean, there's a cave I can see right from my window with a spring running from in it. It's karstic geology, with rain filtered through acidic redwood-laden soil and dripping through stone to feed the local water system. When I travel, I don't need the ACV. :-)

Yep, this, only insert dolostone bedrock (magnesium limestone for the Brits)

sumidha
April 25th, 2016, 07:25 PM
We don't have classically hard water from our well, but it is very alkaline, and has other minerals besides calcium and magnesium. I use it to deal with that.

h0z
April 25th, 2016, 09:21 PM
After a little searching I came across this. (it's what helped convince me to try an acv rinse. My hair went from straw/dry and fly away. To shiny and smooth, it never really tangled, but it was easier to comb and finger comb.. And looked much better)

Hope this helps:

Benefits of ACV for hair

Balancing hair and scalp pH – There are many commercial hair-care products that have a negative effect on the hair, leaving it dry and brittle. Our hair has an ideal pH of 4 to 5. The acidity of the ACV rinse means that it can help maintain the pH balance of your hair and remove buildup at the same time without stripping the hair of its natural oils.

Sealing the hair cuticle – As a result, light is reflected off the hair, making it smoother, softer and shinier. This also enables the hair maintain more moisture and helping prevent split ends.

Treating dandruff, itchy and dry scalp – ACV has antibacterial and antifungal properties that help treat itchy, dry scalp.

works as a natural detangler – so can replace conditioner.

Encouraging hair growth – ACV can treat clogged hair follicles due to bacterial infection that creates crusty flakes on the scalp (which can result in hair loss). an article published in 2002 stating that ACV stimulates better circulation to the hair follicles, which strengthens the hair roots and promotes a healthy hair growth.

rhosyn_du
April 25th, 2016, 10:33 PM
Some regular shampoos are balanced to match hair's pH, but most are slightly more alkaline, and even water itself is more alkaline than the hair's acid mantle, so a dilute enough acid rinse could theoretically be beneficial after a regular shampoo or even just a water rinse.

LadyCelestina
April 26th, 2016, 02:05 AM
- perhaps the rinse acts as a water softener/counteracts the mineral content in our local water supply.

Definitely this for me. ETA: We have a lake you can bathe in nearby. The water is so hard it leaves white build-up on your hair and skin, like salt from sea. ACV rinse helps.:agree:

samanthaa
April 26th, 2016, 10:56 AM
I've been wondering lately if throwing some powdered citric acid or freshly squeezed lemon juice into the day's conditioner ration would have the same effects as a rinse...

I hate rinses purely because they're an extra step.

Anje
April 26th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Yep, hard water. Side effects of acid rinses also include less scum in your shower. :D

school of fish
April 26th, 2016, 11:15 AM
I've been wondering lately if throwing some powdered citric acid or freshly squeezed lemon juice into the day's conditioner ration would have the same effects as a rinse...

I hate rinses purely because they're an extra step.

I'm all about the low maintenance too - can't stand adding anything extra into the routine if I don't have to.

For what it's worth, I use a plastic 8oz squeeze bottle for my rinses - before my shower I toss in a teeny splash of lemon juice (citric acid powder would work too) and while I'm in the shower just fill up the bottle with water from the shower head. After I'm done the shower and have turned off the water I just squeeze out the lemon rinse over my scalp and length until the bottle's empty. All told it may add 30-45sec to my routine - that I can live with ;)

I'm one of those types who just won't do it if it gets too complicated or cumbersome, but this works for me. Just thought I'd put it out there as another option for you :D

Deborah
April 26th, 2016, 10:43 PM
We have very hard water, so an acidic rinse helps a lot.

lapushka
April 27th, 2016, 06:10 AM
Ugh, am I the only one that just isn't bothered by hard water (and trust me, it's hard --> white deposits on the tap if you're not diligent with cleaning it off weekly, which my mom is generally always good with).

My hair doesn't suffer from it, I'm not bothered by it. I love it. It is *excellent* at getting oil out of the hair!

Chromis
April 27th, 2016, 06:29 AM
Growing up I had super hard water too and I thought I just had terrible hair. It was always so tangled and rough. I used a ton of conditioner too! I didn't know about acidic rinses then and probably would not have been allowed to experiment anyhow.

They make a huge difference for me!

Nesoi
April 27th, 2016, 07:01 AM
I used to love doing lemon rinses when I lived in a hard water area. I can't really tell you any science behind it but my hair loved it! And it smelled divine :)

Now I'm in a soft water area I never do them and my hair is v happy anyway.

Obsidian
April 27th, 2016, 08:33 AM
I started using ACV when I was using shampoo bars. I've since stopped shampoo bars but I still use ACV rinse, maybe 1/4 tsp per 8 oz of water. I too have hardish water and it helps with mineral build up plus it makes my hair soft, shiny and helps detangle it. Its the only thing I can use as a conditioner since I have SD.

Nadine <3
April 27th, 2016, 08:44 AM
I've mixed lemon juice in with my shampoo a few times with great results. I was told that's probably a bad thing to do though, so I stopped. My scalp loved it.

My hair doesn't care about rinses. They never did anything for me and we have hard water.

lapushka
April 27th, 2016, 08:53 AM
I've mixed lemon juice in with my shampoo a few times with great results. I was told that's probably a bad thing to do though, so I stopped. My scalp loved it.

My hair doesn't care about rinses. They never did anything for me and we have hard water.

Same here! :waving:

samanthaa
April 27th, 2016, 11:23 AM

Do you know what the reasoning was behind that being "a bad thing to do"? I'm trying to think it through logically (adding it to either shampoo or conditioner) and I'm not seeing the downside? I can imagine it would be a bit drying with shampoo...

jupiterinleo
April 28th, 2016, 12:22 PM
I also have fairly hard water which my hair hates, but using acidic rinses doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I can't get desired results consistently, despite being consistent with ratios. :shrug:

renia22
March 22nd, 2017, 07:23 PM
Lapushka- this is an older thread, but just wanted to mention I've been into acidic rinses lately. I think the well water in our house has been getting really funky due to some droughts the past couple of years and I think the well has gotten low, and despite changing our filter often, my hair has been feeling it. Chelating shampoos help, but these acidic rinses are great.

I'm not a fan of ACV (hate the smell, adding essential oils doesn't get rid of the smell to me, and I can smell it when hair gets damp, even if a tiny bit is used), and citric acid is okay, but heavily diluted lemon juice (from a real lemon) is my favorite. What I do is similar to what school of fish does. My hair and scalp feel so much better, and my hair has much more body. I do not find it drying.

There are also prepared hair rinses that Beautiful Nutrition and Yves Rocher make. They are more expensive than using something like ACV or citric acid, but both work well without drying or any weird smell. Beautiful Nutrition is lemon, and Yves Rocher rinsing vinegar doesn't smell like vinegar at all, it has a raspberry/ blackberry scent.

Also I've been using lemon essential oil on my scalp. I take about a tsp of pure aloe, 2 drop of lemon essential oil and some distilled water (2-3 tsp), and occasionally dab on my scalp at night, then wash out the next day. Although I don't have dandruff, sometimes I get a little itch, and it takes care of that, and helps my scalp feel so clean and refreshed, without drying it out.

However, anything lemon is my favorite, the smell alone makes you feel like you are radiating sunshine and rainbows :)

lizardspots
March 22nd, 2017, 10:29 PM
I've been using shampoo bars and ACV rinses for 3 months now with pretty good results. I found most conditioners are either too heavy for my fine thin hair, or too light and don't do any smoothing, leaving it tangled and breaking when I brush it.

I use a pretty dilute rinse of 1 tbsp ACV to 2 cups water. Then I rinse it off. I just keep a bottle of ACV and an appropriately sized container in my shower. Since I no longer use conditioner, it has actually saved me a step during my hair washing routine. I also haven't noticed any lingering ACV odor once my hair dries.

marvel-lover
March 23rd, 2017, 08:09 AM
I'm trying to fight off dandruff and an itchy scalp, and I've only done two ACV rinses, but the itchiness has gone down substantially!!! I still have dandruff, but I have a feeling that will go away in time. For now, I'm just going to focus on remembering to do the ACV/Lemon juice rinse each time I wash my hair and be patient.