PDA

View Full Version : Brush with goat hair

Bambi
April 25th, 2016, 12:42 AM
Hi!
I have a question, I brush my hair with a BBB and one day I searched around the net for brushes and found a baby brush made of goat hair bristles. It seemed so soft, do anyone know if it works on an adults hair?
I grew up with horses and I remember that one of my brushes for my horse was made out of goat hair. I always used that brush as a finishing touch and the fur got shiny:).

Has anyone tried it on your hair?

Thank you :).

Nini
April 25th, 2016, 12:55 AM
How on earth would you get the goat's fur to bristle? Seeing as they're all soft and fluffy I mean?

Sarahlabyrinth
April 25th, 2016, 01:44 AM
Not all goats are soft and fluffy. Some are downright bristly. Though baby brushes are lovely and soft :)

Horrorpops
April 25th, 2016, 02:08 AM
Oh I've never felt a goats hair brush... I guess if it works for baby hair it should be super gentle on adults hair :o

Bambi
April 25th, 2016, 04:49 AM
@Nini I don't know :D.

I'm really curious as I want a brush that's really gentle on my hair, whilst still being able to distribute sebum..

I watch a lot of period-movies/costume dramas and I've noticed that when the ladies get their hair brushed it is almost always with some kind of brush that resembles a goat bristle brush..hmm, has anyone else noticed this?

Hailwidis
April 25th, 2016, 05:53 AM
Oh, you just brought back some childhood memories!
I remember when I was 5 to 7 years old, I'd borrow my baby brother's hairbrush because it made my hair smooth, soft and fluffy (in a good way). No defined strands, a really shiny even effect.

I don't know what that brush was, but it was very dense and could well have been something similar to what you are describing. I ran a quick google search for goat hair baby brushes and it looked just like that.

I'd love to try it again now, it used to be my miracle brush when I was a kid, I'd use it for special occasions (so silly).

Bambi
April 25th, 2016, 06:28 AM
I remember when I was 5 to 7 years old, I'd borrow my baby brother's hairbrush because it made my hair smooth, soft and fluffy (in a good way). No defined strands, a really shiny even effect.

I don't know what that brush was, but it was very dense and could well have been something similar to what you are describing. I ran a quick google search for goat hair baby brushes and it looked just like that.

I'd love to try it again now, it used to be my miracle brush when I was a kid, I'd use it for special occasions (so silly).

Ooooh that's so cute!!!!!!
It might have been a goat bristle brush, most brushes made for babord seem to be of that kind, at least when I google it.

MlleMC
April 25th, 2016, 09:08 AM
From what I remember of baby brushes, they are so soft that I really doubt they would work on adult hair, unless it is extremely fine.

Hailwidis
April 25th, 2016, 09:19 AM
From what I remember of baby brushes, they are so soft that I really doubt they would work on adult hair, unless it is extremely fine.

Yup, I was thinking about that, too. Even as a kid, I'd use it after having used a normal brush first. Normal brush or comb: detangling; baby brush: smoothing. At least that's what I experienced back then.

Bambi
April 25th, 2016, 10:31 AM

Yup, I was thinking about that, too. Even as a kid, I'd use it after having used a normal brush first. Normal brush or comb: detangling; baby brush: smoothing. At least that's what I experienced back then.

If I were to replace my BBB with one made of goat hair bristles that would be exactly what I would do. I would detangle with a TT or similar and then smooth it out with the "goat brush". That was what I did with my horse aswell, used other brushes to do the "hard work" and then finished of with the soft one:).

My hair is fine and wavy, scandinavian hahaha!

nmgdolly
August 3rd, 2016, 07:01 PM
My hair is incredibly soft, fine and not thick. Have a teeny, tiny bit of wave. Anyways, because my hair is very soft, it is very prone to dry ends and breakage. I have been experimenting with brushing with a really soft baby brush, and I must say, I like it.
(I rarely get tangles as I CO wash using a wide tooth comb, sleep in soft bun, etc.)
I would love to hear about other delicate, fine, haired ladies who have successfully grown longer than my BSL.
I love to brush my hair, therefore, am thinking the Baby Brushes might be safest for me. Any stories? I can use plenty of help. Lol.

Hugs,

Nancy Marie

Shepherdess
August 3rd, 2016, 07:31 PM
My preferred BBB are the very soft gentle ones, since my hair is fine with tendencies to break and split easily. I remember we used to have a baby brush in the past, and I really loved how soft it was; I bet it was one of those goat bristle brushes! I think that my softest BBB feels almost as soft as a baby brush, though I would really like to look into goat bristle brushes now! I did not realize that is what those baby brushes were made out of, so thank you for mentioning this! :D

I think that a very soft bristle brush would work out well enough for distributing natural oils throughout the hair, perhaps they may not get through to the thicker areas of the hair, but I am sure that with sectioning it should turn out fine, perhaps? Someone posted an article on Victorian hair care somewhere here on the forum recently, and in it there was mentioned a firmer bristled brush being used to clean the scalp and hair, and a soft bristle brush used to smooth out the hair, or something like that anyway. :)

Cg
August 4th, 2016, 07:29 AM
For my thin fine hair, after detangling I use first a normal bbb for 25 strokes and follow with a superfine bbb for 25 or more strokes. The first brush gets every hair I think and the second is for fine distribution. Almost never do I find a split or pull a healthy hair out.

The superfine is designed for fragile hair. It works beautifully so I've not tried anything but bbb.